AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-08-09, 21:36   Link #9061
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Man this battle was... pure adrenalin
Spoiler:

Adrenalin Rush

The last 5 minutes are where the action and tension begins.
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 22:15   Link #9062
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Hello guys. I'm considering picking up WoT (SEA server) for a change of pace while playing Dragon Nest. What's in it for me? And does this game have a steep learning curve?
Well... there's... tanks, which are... tanks.

Learning curve has some bumps, but it's not horrible. Best advice is to take it slow.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 22:26   Link #9063
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
What's in it for me? And does this game have a steep learning curve?
Frustration, at the very least. While it's okay to derp around the starter tiers (tiers 1-3), once you hit tier 4, you have to start paying attention to game mechanics, unless you WANT to remain sub-average forever.

So yes, there is a steep learning curve -- stuff like spotting distance, camo mechanics, angling, hull-down, these are stuff that are IN NO WAY brought up in the sucky game tutorial.
Old 2013-08-09, 22:45   Link #9064
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Welp. I am the kind of person who quit in League of Legends long ago, and I often find myself getting pissed by AIs in DOTA who severely outclass me in handling some champions. D:
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 23:17   Link #9065
Gravitas Free Zone

Friend of mine who started this game in... March? got himself up to the Tiger, then went back down to pad out his win rate in lower tiers. It's interesting how much you may find that you've gotten better once you go all the way up and then bump down to something you've not played in a while.

Alternatively, you get better, go up the tech tree, then go back down and realize how many mistakes the new players are making that you recognize that you once made when you were younger.

Had a fairly lackluster session today, though I only had a short period of time to try to pack in the 30-kill mission. Win rate ended up right back where it started at least, though I lost a few fractions of WN7.

Surprise of the night was getting a Halonen's Medal, which for various reasons has eluded me all this time until I got it somewhat at random today in the fun but fragile cardboard cannon that is the SU-85B... getting cross-map shots on an M6, KV-1S, and Jackson that were trying to climb the Malinovka hill.

Still building up free XP for T-54 upgrades. I haven't used it very much, probably because every game that I've been put into so far has gotten me spectacularly killed, and I really want to put on the final turret before I take it out again. I have a feeling that people are seeing the stock turret and (rightly) figuring that the rest of the tank is stock also (except for the LB-1, but that's not exactly a penetration wonder when shooting at Tier 10s), so I'm getting pummeled by upgraded T-54s and T-62As.

Seriously considering a purchase of the Matilda IV to make use of crew training bonuses in the meantime. Most of the T-54's crew is working their third skill, so they have sufficient training to do decently in the Matilda.

A similar situation exists with the Centurion's crew, since I really don't want to run that out with only the intermediate cannon. However, the Matilda BP's reputation is considerably worse than that of the Matilda IV... and the Matilda BP is uglier than hell.

And of course there's the wrinkle that maybe they'll throw in a premium tank sale sometime soon and I'll be all "argh," but that's always a risk. The gift shop prices for the premium Matildas last week were not a good deal...
Old 2013-08-09, 23:18   Link #9066
Pen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Yun View Post
The most fun I have is tier 6 and above.
Tier 8 and 10 is most fun for me.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 23:20   Link #9067
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

I enjoy tier 8... but the costs are too freaking high!
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 23:27   Link #9068
Pen3

Jagdtiger' successfully purchased.
Spent : 3,450,000

I had this thing researched since December and finally decided to buy it.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 23:33   Link #9069
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Hello guys. I'm considering picking up WoT (SEA server) for a change of pace while playing Dragon Nest. What's in it for me? And does this game have a steep learning curve?
IMO it's very much a "easy to learn, hard to master," type game. There is a floor where you need to learn, such as shooting, driving, etc. basics, but then there's "glass ceiling" of where you need to learn in tactics - at the core of this game is positioning and control, and I have nothing to recommend except experience to help you learn those. It's more tactical than most shooters go because of the slower pace.

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend the NA server.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 23:46   Link #9070
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I remember now why I quit this damn game. And why my winrate went to hell yesterday and today.

It's a disgrace when the T20 is the single biggest contributor in a match with twelve tiers 9, with more than twice the experience of the next contributor.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 01:53   Link #9071
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
pick the NA server, SEA is the worst server of WoT (been there), there are only 40 ping difference (which make NO difference in this game) and I live in asia.
Old 2013-08-10, 01:54   Link #9072
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Twin AMX 13 90

http://wotreplays.com/site/287410#self

manage to win team full of uinicum :3

now I learn that having trusted teammates on you side will extrapolates LT capabilities

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 02:20   Link #9073
Blaat

New ace mastery badge:
Images
T21
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Replay.

Although I'm gutted that the game considers this my best experience game because of the premium account XP inflation. :\
Old 2013-08-10, 04:33   Link #9074
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

my 60day WN7 somehow went up to purple despite I'm not playing recently.

Old 2013-08-10, 07:21   Link #9075
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

If your gonna teach him something, you should teach him some WoT jargon... marc might not know what derp is when marc just started.

At least have a suggestion on which nation to play when he starts off so it will make the game easier to learn while decides on his main tree line.

One tip i would say is to pick a nation that best suits your play style for this game and stick with it until you decided to play other nations. For me i choice US line which started off ok but hitting the lee was a hard grind. The M4 was better and the jumbo got even better but any thing after that is gets serious.

When you play you will see a lot of russian tankers prolly. then the germans then the rest are about equivalent except the US is 3rd most played tree.
Old 2013-08-10, 07:52   Link #9076
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

@Kamijou_Touma: I see you skipped the T1 Heavy and M6 for the M4 and Jumbo when going for the American heavies. I've been rolling out the T1 Heavy quite a bit lately, and I think it's a pretty fun tank, and definitely underrated. It's probably underrated by a lot of baddies who jump into it thinking it has the same playstyle as a KV-1. If you're good at American heavies and mediums, you should try it out.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 09:33   Link #9077
Gravitas Free Zone

Sigh, I lost a sure Sniper badge (100% hit rate on plenty of shots fired) because a teammate drove directly in front of me while I was zoomed in and shooting.

At least they didn't die, but still... they'd already seen me shoot twice from the same location with a 3.5 second reload time, why would they think that I'd stop shooting?
Old 2013-08-10, 10:25   Link #9078
Sumeragi
Banned

VK 45.02 (P) Ausf. A Ace Mastery Badge

I have to admit, I didn't expect to have this much fun with VK 45.02 (P) Ausf. A, the medium bullying heavy. It's fast, it's heavy, it's hard. This places almost like a CQC version of E-50 Ausf. M, and I'm having pleasure in pushing around my enemies as my gun slams into their fragile sides.

Damnit, this panzer is growing on me. I must harden myself against keeping this.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 10:37   Link #9079
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

@Marc:

Russian line is great for starting out. KV-1 is the best ALL ROUND T5 heavy; not the best in everything, but the best compromise of all aspects. Get rid of it ONLY if you don't like money; it's a solid moneymaker. T-28 grind is painful, but it's not as bad as the A-20 grind, and you unlock the best gun for the T-34 on it.

Derp guns are guns with high damage, and usually slow reload time (the M4 Sherman has the fastest reloading derp ingame, at 7 seconds reload for the 105mm howitzer it can miunt). They are, more often than not, howitzers, instead of rifled tank guns. Examples are the 122mm howitzer on the KV-1, and the 125mm tank gun on the KV-1S.

Alpha damage means the damage on your first shot. Derps excel at alpha damage.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 11:07   Link #9080
Blaat

Managed to extent my premium by a day and bought the T71.

Tags
mmo games, war game, wargaming.net, world of tanks