AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-24, 09:03   Link #221
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Ohh, good catch there. But I think it's a common occurrence, girl falling and guy catching her.
No, it's a deliberate homage to the iconic scene where Hikaru catches Minmay.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 09:07   Link #222
lars18th

Quote:
Ohh, good catch there. But I think it's a common occurrence, girl falling and guy catching her.

It really is. I want more Sheryl goodness.

Plus she didn't expect to meet Sheryl out in the middle of the street so why would she quickly assume it was her.
She assumed it after hearing her voice singing. For a fan, that's good enough proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Absolutely.
lars18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 09:30   Link #223
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
True, I suppose that's what they meant it to be. But the hero always catches the falling girl. It's a classic.

And Hikaru did it a lot better. I had a much higher opinion of Hikaru by episode two than I did for Alto. I guess you just can't beat the firsts, another good example is Kamille and Shin.

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2010-10-24 at 10:28. Reason: Typo.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 09:39   Link #224
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

1000% FACTUAL LINER NOTES (Episode 2)

Kawamori's Commentary
#02 - Hard Chase
Script: Hiroyuki Yoshino / Storyboard: Yasuhito Kikuchi, Shoji Kawamori / Production: Kiyoshi Matsuda / Art Direction: Masahiro Sekiguchi, Takashi Ikari
We tried Ranka singing, and Sheryl stepping in to add her her own voice, and I thought "That's it!" Apparently (Yoko) Kanno had the same response during the recording. I did have a feeling it would go all right, but I actually shiver when I hear them sing together. That was when Kanno-san began rapidly sending me duet songs. (laughs).

Macross Check! (from DVD Vol. 2 Booklet)
1. The scene where Alto rescues Ranka in mid-air is a reference to "Countdown," episode 2 of SDFM TV.

2. Ozma is listening to the Fire Bomber song "Totsugeki Loveheart" while driving with Alto.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 12:05   Link #225
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Kanno loving the duet songs. Brilliant.
Old 2010-10-24, 12:06   Link #226
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
00:30 – What exactly was the goal of flying to the center of the galaxy?
Er...that translation should probably be something like "and it was near the centre of the galaxy that they encountered a new enemy". Macross Frontier just happened to be the fleet (or one of them) sent towards the centre of the galaxy as part of the search for the afore-mentioned new frontier.

Quote:
07:20 – Oh, so it was so that the Victor type Vajra would get distracted? Okay, another dose of foreshadowing that Rankas voice affects the Vajra counts as necessary plot development. But, really, accidental breast grab? Psssssh.
But they left the battlefield straight after that. If they were really just being affected by Ranka, then surely they'd have continued trying to get hold of her?

------

I was pretty amused to hear both Luca and Ranka get annoyed at Ozma for exactly the same thing: "stop treating me like a kid already!". I remember Fukuyama Jun lamenting on his first radio show appearance (#25) that he keeps getting really childish roles ("he even has rosy circles on his cheeks!" ) and noting that everyone really wanted Michel's role. Nakamura also noted this when he talked of his audition back in the episode 1 commentary. And in case anyone's wondering, there's no commentary for this episode.

-------

Quote:
Kawamori's Commentary
We tried Ranka singing, and Sheryl stepping in to add her her own voice, and I thought "That's it!" Apparently (Yoko) Kanno had the same response during the recording. I did have a feeling it would go all right, but I actually shiver when I hear them sing together. That was when Kanno-san began rapidly sending me duet songs. (laughs).
*agrees that that scene was incredibly touching*...but I still don't really like the duet version of Diamond Crevasse...or Ranka's version for that matter...

(thanks for the notes, Yot-chan!)

------

Lastly, was I the only one a bit disconcerted when, after the scene where Ozma brought Alto's attention to Gilliam's fighter and relics, we cut straight to Grace rolling her eyes at Sheryl's empty room? They made it more appropriately solemn when they returned to it later, but I thought that the editing at that particular point could have been improved...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 12:22   Link #227
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I love Lion's duet. Duets are really powerful when the two singers contrast and complement each other, ie: White Album.
Old 2010-10-24, 15:15   Link #228
magnuskn

Quote:
You'd be amazed at how different a professional movie star or singer can look when they don't have professional make-up on. I've seen quite a few famous people that I wouldn't recognize if I hadn't known already who they were. And once I saw someone and thought, "Huh. That guy looks a bit like Scott Weiland," only to find out later that it WAS Scott Weiland.

So no, Ranka's not dense because of this, nor would it be obvious.

Besides, according to the Nyan Fro liner notes, there are "Sheryl Look-a-likes" around, so perhaps Ranka thought she was just talking to one of them.
You got a good point there, although from what we see later on, Sheryl is in full make-up. She surely wasn't shown looking any less beautiful than normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Er...that translation should probably be something like "and it was near the centre of the galaxy that they encountered a new enemy". Macross Frontier just happened to be the fleet (or one of them) sent towards the centre of the galaxy as part of the search for the afore-mentioned new frontier.
It still makes me wonder what they hoped to find there. Well, beside the SDFM-3.

Quote:
I was pretty amused to hear both Luca and Ranka get annoyed at Ozma for exactly the same thing: "stop treating me like a kid already!". I remember Fukuyama Jun lamenting on his first radio show appearance (#25) that he keeps getting really childish roles ("he even has rosy circles on his cheeks!" ) and noting that everyone really wanted Michel's role. Nakamura also noted this when he talked of his audition back in the episode 1 commentary. And in case anyone's wondering, there's no commentary for this episode.
While Michael is a really good character, I think Nakamura got the better part with Alto. And Fukuyama Jun can shut straight up, he has voiced the most famous male character of the last decade, who didn't sound childish at all.
Old 2010-10-24, 15:32   Link #229
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
And Fukuyama Jun can shut straight up, he has voiced the most famous male character of the last decade, who didn't sound childish at all.
Luca is one of those character that could be voiced by quite a few voice actors out there, but no they had to go spend so much money just for Fukuyama Jun.
Old 2010-10-24, 16:08   Link #230
Solecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'd usually recommend you checkout the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, though if you want to make it quick while the Macross Frontier rewatch is going in, then you can check out Macross: Do You Remember Love? which is an alternate retelling of the original series in film format. A must watch.
I'll probably try to watch the original SDF series, I happen to have a lot of time on my hands. Might as well use it while I can . Maybe I can find it for rent somewhere in town.

Quote:
Lastly, was I the only one a bit disconcerted when, after the scene where Ozma brought Alto's attention to Gilliam's fighter and relics, we cut straight to Grace rolling her eyes at Sheryl's empty room? They made it more appropriately solemn when they returned to it later, but I thought that the editing at that particular point could have been improved...
Thinking back on it, that whole scene in the hangar felt kind of awkward to me. Well, maybe not the scene itself but how it was done. The way they closed in on Alto and everything.
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 16:19   Link #231
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
I'll probably try to watch the original SDF series, I happen to have a lot of time on my hands. Might as well use it while I can . Maybe I can find it for rent somewhere in town.
Netflix has it. If they deliver near you that is.

Quote:
Thinking back on it, that whole scene in the hangar felt kind of awkward to me. Well, maybe not the scene itself but how it was done. The way they closed in on Alto and everything.
Yeah, everyone kind of came out of no where and started to gang up on him.
Old 2010-10-24, 17:55   Link #232
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
It still makes me wonder what they hoped to find there. Well, beside the SDFM-3.
The ability to travel through time, of course! Unless they decided to do away with the "centre = the black hole theory" in the Macross universe...

Quote:
While Michael is a really good character, I think Nakamura got the better part with Alto. And Fukuyama Jun can shut straight up, he has voiced the most famous male character of the last decade, who didn't sound childish at all.
I'm sure Nakamura knew that...but his reaction to Alto's appearance is rather amusing As for FukuJun, it's quite a valid hangup when you consider his age (imagine a 30+ actor playing a teenager who looks even younger than his years wouldn't happen in the real world!). (Though he's aware of it too, the fact that that particular role opened up a lot of doors for him. He really didn't get much variety before it!)

Quote:
Luca is one of those character that could be voiced by quite a few voice actors out there, but no they had to go spend so much money just for Fukuyama Jun.
I don't think it matters too much, cos most of them are on the same wage tier. Newer seiyuu like Uchiyama Kouki (the lead in Gundam UC and Shiki this year) might certainly be on a lower tier, but it seems that there really aren't too many of them around anyway, ones good enough to pass the auditions etc...

Quote:
Hm...I wonder why I didn't find that part of it particularly weird though I can't deny it would have been very awkward for Alto...

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-10-24 at 20:06.
Old 2010-10-24, 20:12   Link #233
Solecs

Quote:
Hm...I wonder why I didn't find that part of it particularly weird though I can't deny it would have been very awkward for Alto...
I think it was how everybody suddenly dropped what they were doing and started crowding around looking pissed off, felt too serious maybe? Ozma hadn't even finished talking about the whole "how they died" thing. Also, like I think karice said, the scene was broken up by the scene with Grace.

That all aside, I just re-watched that part of the episode again, and I've got to say Ozma is a pretty crazy driver. Sure there are no other cars around but he's all over the place and then power slides onto the elevator going down to the hangar? A little unnecessary. Also, is that Sheryl's earing along with Gilliam's personal effects? Never noticed that, and you really can't see (or at least I couldn't) Sheryl's earing flying off in the video unless you're really looking for it. Did that show up in the first episode as well? I really want to watch ahead now, since I can't remember how that all got sorted out.
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 20:23   Link #234
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
I think it was how everybody suddenly dropped what they were doing and started crowding around looking pissed off, felt too serious maybe? Ozma hadn't even finished talking about the whole "how they died" thing. Also, like I think karice said, the scene was broken up by the scene with Grace.

That all aside, I just re-watched that part of the episode again, and I've got to say Ozma is a pretty crazy driver. Sure there are no other cars around but he's all over the place and then power slides onto the elevator going down to the hangar? A little unnecessary. Also, is that Sheryl's earing along with Gilliam's personal effects? Never noticed that, and you really can't see (or at least I couldn't) Sheryl's earing flying off in the video unless you're really looking for it. Did that show up in the first episode as well? I really want to watch ahead now, since I can't remember how that all got sorted out.
Yeah, is that her earring with Gilliam's stuff? It doesn't look quite the same.
Old 2010-10-25, 02:09   Link #235
magnuskn

Quote:
Though he's aware of it too, the fact that that particular role opened up a lot of doors for him. He really didn't get much variety before it!)
Well, maybe he was less appreciate of it when he got that role as the mad computer which always was in full Lelouch rant mode.

Quote:
Yeah, is that her earring with Gilliam's stuff? It doesn't look quite the same.
It appears to be hers. Good eye, I hadn't noticed until now.
Old 2010-10-25, 03:44   Link #236
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
That all aside, I just re-watched that part of the episode again, and I've got to say Ozma is a pretty crazy driver. Sure there are no other cars around but he's all over the place and then power slides onto the elevator going down to the hangar? A little unnecessary.
That's what Fire Bomber can do to you.
Old 2010-10-25, 03:58   Link #237
magnuskn

Bombaaaaah!

Old 2010-10-25, 05:17   Link #238
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
That's what Fire Bomber can do to you.
I go pretty wild listening to them while driving, myself.

And no, I still haven't seen the episode. Mea culpa.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 06:45   Link #239
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Also, is that Sheryl's earing along with Gilliam's personal effects?
Ooooh...if so, that explains the weird, disconcerting juxtaposition. Though I still think they shouldn't have made it seem quite so...unfeeling.

Quote:
Well, maybe he was less appreciate of it when he got that role as the mad computer which always was in full Lelouch rant mode.
Knowing FukuJun, I'm sure it was quite the opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
And no, I still haven't seen the episode. Mea culpa.
Take your time, we'll all still be here

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-10-25, 07:18   Link #240
Father Hentai

Quote:
NANASE WATCH 2010 (episode 2):
Stalking is such sweet sorrow...

Nanase's got her mind on loftier things than the latest gossip...
They look ugly from the visual angle :/

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch