AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-08-15, 16:05   Link #4501
UsagiTenpura
Artist

I would suggest https://www.himeyashop.com/ since that's where I got them.
There's probably others less expensives places that other users can suggest to you.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 16:23   Link #4502
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Amiami is definitely cheaper, and they are arguably more flexible in merchandise content and shipping methods (as you don't have to take EMS).
As Himeyashop puts a $28 price tag, it is more or less equal to 2400 yens.

Mandarake doesn't list Umineko 7 yet though.
Old 2010-08-15, 16:37   Link #4503
LaplaceNoMa

I also don't understand their (HimeyaShop) policy of not shipping to my country. God, they even ship to Ukraine and Belarus. It is quite fishy, since Ukrainian and Belarusian post customs work exactly the same way as ours, it looks like there's some other 'reason' for them.

Amiami looks good, I've already placed a pre-order a few weeks ago, I believe they'll reply everyone who made pre-order soon. Probably tomorrow..
LaplaceNoMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 17:25   Link #4504
Digi-Dragon

I used Himeyashop for Higurashi and Umineko 4 and Umineko 6, but this time I used Amiami. They seem to be the one everyone is recommending lately, so I would go with them.

As a heads up, Umineko 4 contains all of the previous question arcs, and 7 contains all of the previous core arcs, BUT getting Umineko 7 will mean you'll have to wait for 7 to be translated to play any of the core arcs, since the Umineko 6 patch wouldn't be compatible with it.

I found this out the hard way with Umineko 6 and arc 5, so just a little tidbit.
Digi-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 13:57   Link #4505
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Translation of Episode 7 and compatibility patch are under way.

Meanwhile, it came to our attention that a lot of people are hosting videos of Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru with our patch.
We believe it is time to spread the message before it really goes out of hand: Please, we ask you not to host any video of the VN on perma host like youtube, regardless if there is any of our translation or not.
The reason is, although we do not own Umineko at all, the translated script are our intellectual property (still within 07th Expansion ownership, that is to be said). By that, hosting videos of that kind without our conscent is plainly similar than just uploading the game with the patch bundled. We do not condone such action though it is of course naive to expect no instance of such kind.

That being said, that is really no service towards us, and certainly not for 07th Expansion, as that kind of action will just have a domino effect on the long run. Also, 07th Expansion explicitely stated in Umineko 7 that it is forbidden to upload their games and so forth.

Oh, and before there is anyone trying to play the smartass: yes the warning also forbid anyone to edit their game. We will see with Ryukishi if it involves our project or not, although he never revoked the permission he had granted.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-08-17 at 14:20. Reason: typo
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 14:32   Link #4506
Judoh
Mystery buff

If the videos do get out of hand you still have the option of contacting youtube with a copyright claim for the patch. It shouldn't hurt any relationship you have with 07th Expansion. Also you wouldn't be claiming you own the game you would just be showing that you don't encourage uploading it onto video streaming sites.

Hopefully It won't come to the point where you have to do that though.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 14:59   Link #4507
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I honestly don't understand the point of reading the thing on YouTube in the first place, since the patch is free and you get vastly more control over your reading experience (plus better sound quality, which is half the reason to go through Umineko anyway) through the engine. Of course, I've heard of people streaming readings of the new episodes, but that's different (and I've never heard of anyone streaming it post-patch, though I'm sure someone has).
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 15:32   Link #4508
littlegal100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I honestly don't understand the point of reading the thing on YouTube in the first place, since the patch is free and you get vastly more control over your reading experience (plus better sound quality, which is half the reason to go through Umineko anyway) through the engine. Of course, I've heard of people streaming readings of the new episodes, but that's different (and I've never heard of anyone streaming it post-patch, though I'm sure someone has).
I think theres also another reason for people wanting to watching it on youtube such as not having to buy the game at all.
littlegal100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 15:39   Link #4509
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegal100 View Post
I think theres also another reason for people wanting to watching it on youtube such as not having to buy the game at all.
Once you start getting into that degree of illegality though you're going to just pirate the game or something, right? I mean if you have the bandwidth to watch an eight to ten hour VN play out in ten minute chunks, you probably have the same for illegal downloads.

I suppose there could be some kind of overlap between "people who know what Umineko is," "people unwilling to pay for Umineko" and "people not tech-savvy enough to have any means other than YouTube to watch it," but I can't imagine it's so many people as to cause concern, but apparently I overestimate people again.

Old 2010-08-17, 16:15   Link #4510
ArcticHelm

They probably just wanted to see what all the awesome sub business was about.
ArcticHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 18:03   Link #4511
CainSonozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Book View Post
So why isn't the Episode 7 patch out yet? You've had what, a whole 12 hours to translate it? It should be out now. /joke
i c wut u did thar
Right now the time where magic advents.
I am Beatrice-sama! Ahaha"
CainSonozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 00:42   Link #4512
oatmeal

EDIT: OK - actually, it seems like this change below didn't work or even do anything. Looking in my save directory, I see that the program seems to save files with different prefixes each time I run it. I describe below some tests that I did.

If I wipe my Umineko6 folder, and run the program, unlock EP6, and then quit, it generates two files with a strange prefix that shows up as ? in Terminal, but doesn't appear in finder:
?envdata
?gloval.sav

(OK, apparently these files are ^Aenvdata and ^Agloval.sav)

When I run Umineko again, it's as if I hadn't unlocked anything. I quit without doing anything, and when I rerun it, the background is changed, and EP6 is unlocked. If I quit and rerun, back to EP6 being locked. This time, I notice that when I quit, two new ?envdata ?gloval.sav files are created (these apparently are ^Denvdata and ^Dgloval.sav). The filenames of these guys look the same as the first created ones in Terminal, but are separate files. Another quit and rerun and it stuff is still locked. But the third time, now EP6 is unlocked again... If I keep doing this, eventually I get new files weird prefixes like before %B0?%A0envdata, %B0?%A0gloval.sav and every once in a while, the program will load the unlocked data files, but not very often...

----

Whew, I was able to figure out how to get EP6 to save on my system, by comparing the code for saving in the unpacked script from nscript.dat with that code in EP4 (where saving does work). Basically, in EP4's script there were the lines:
;if %scenario_Number = 1 mov $%Free2,"Ep1 " : add $%Free2,$SaveTime
;if %scenario_Number = 2 mov $%Free2,"Ep2 " : add $%Free2,$SaveTime
;if %scenario_Number = 3 mov $%Free2,"Ep3 " : add $%Free2,$SaveTime
;if %scenario_Number = 4 mov $%Free2,"Ep4 " : add $%Free2,$SaveTime
if %scenario_Number = 1 mov $%Free2,"`Ep1; " : add $%Free2,$SaveTime
if %scenario_Number = 2 mov $%Free2,"`Ep2; " : add $%Free2,$SaveTime
if %scenario_Number = 3 mov $%Free2,"`Ep3; " : add $%Free2,$SaveTime
if %scenario_Number = 4 mov $%Free2,"`Ep4; " : add $%Free2,$SaveTime

But in EP6, there was just
if %scenario_Number = 1 mov $%Free2,"Ep1 " : add $%Free2,$SaveTime
if %scenario_Number = 2 mov $%Free2,"Ep2 " : add $%Free2,$SaveTime
if %scenario_Number = 3 mov $%Free2,"Ep3 " : add $%Free2,$SaveTime
if %scenario_Number = 4 mov $%Free2,"Ep4 " : add $%Free2,$SaveTime

By making this change in the script and repacking I was able to get saving in EP6 to work.

Last edited by oatmeal; 2010-08-18 at 01:12. Reason: figured out strange prefixes
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 03:38   Link #4513
zibbazabba905
twuth it EASY.

I watched the first one on youtube (didn't know it was free) and got a little bit into the second and thought "hey, this is well worth paying for!" Getting access to tips and being able to read it at my own pace was a good added bonus...
zibbazabba905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 22:39   Link #4514
Judoh
Mystery buff

Forgive me if this question has been asked before.

I just realized that "Geltrude" is an Italian name and considering Beatrice's name is pronounced similar to the Italian I wanted to ask. Are we sure her name is "Gertrude" and not Geltrude?

Last edited by Judoh; 2010-08-21 at 02:31.
Old 2010-08-19, 22:45   Link #4515
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Forgive me if this question has been asked before.

I just realized that "Geltrude" is an Italian name and considering Beatrice's name is pronounced similar to the Italian I wanted to ask. Are we sure her name is "Gertrude" and not Geltrude?
Given that Dlanor's group has a German name, I'm guessing Gertrud or Gertrude is closer.

Old 2010-08-19, 23:12   Link #4516
Sir Andy Richter
Wuh?

Is it true Ryukishi said on his blog Umineko would be ending with Episode 8?
Sir Andy Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 06:19   Link #4517
FredericaBernkastel
Gothic Lolita Bernkastel

Hello. I'd like to ask a question about the Umineko Games..

If I buy Umineko No Naku Koro Ni Chiru Vol.7, is it playable on Windows Vista?
Because I saw that the system requirments were only for Windows XP.
FredericaBernkastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 06:41   Link #4518
LaplaceNoMa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredericaBernkastel View Post
Hello. I'd like to ask a question about the Umineko Games..

If I buy Umineko No Naku Koro Ni Chiru Vol.7, is it playable on Windows Vista?
Because I saw that the system requirments were only for Windows XP.
Yes, you can play Umineko on Vista/7, both x86/x64 versions.
LaplaceNoMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 02:27   Link #4519
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Andy Richter View Post
Is it true Ryukishi said on his blog Umineko would be ending with Episode 8?
I beleive I heard Ryukishi said he wanted to end the series this year (2010). So that either meant it would end with the August release or the December release. So at the time it was possible he could have ended it with episode 7 and many were hoping for an episode 8.

However I didn't read this myself I just heard it from someone a long time ago after episode 6 came out.
Old 2010-08-21, 02:37   Link #4520
dreamsrollhigh

I'm having trouble with the Episode 6 patch. This happened shortly after I installed Episode 7.

For some reason, it crashes everytime I try to load the game from any thing. A save file, or the beginning of Episode 5. Anything. Episode 4 works just fine. But the patch for Episode 6 does not work.

I don't understand why it keeps crashin.
dreamsrollhigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation