AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the British Remain or Leave the EU.
Remain 24 55.81%
Leave 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2020-02-02, 13:06   Link #1381
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

This is hilarious so I am sharing it here:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/s...21681298247680
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-02, 15:24   Link #1382
James Rye

Well, it is done and we still have to suffer through the Brexiteer BS for the next 10 months before they finally leave us for good at the end of the year. Man, I can't wait for Brexit to finally be over. Though I doubt it will be as the Brexiteers are imagine it.
Old 2020-02-07, 15:43   Link #1383
Botan_TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Well, it is done and we still have to suffer through the Brexiteer BS for the next 10 months before they finally leave us for good at the end of the year. Man, I can't wait for Brexit to finally be over. Though I doubt it will be as the Brexiteers are imagine it.
10 months? You are not bad at being an optimist. After that a trainwreck of Gibraltar or Irish borders or some fishing rights problems or whatever the hell smokescreen or scapegoat politician cook up.
Old 2020-02-07, 20:52   Link #1384
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And there is always Scotland.
Old 2020-07-02, 00:57   Link #1385
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

https://twitter.com/archer_rs/status...05330885386240

Hilarious, if you're into Schadenfreude.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-10, 18:07   Link #1386
James Rye

Well, this is dumb. Or maybe it is what the UK government wants. But how can they say themselves that they are breaking international law by destroying the already signed treaty and still act like they are the good guys and the EU is evil for wanting them to uphold what they signed? Even their moderate own party members and many tory lords don't like and Boris still wants to go through with it despite it not only meaning no deal but also getting sued and showing the whole world that the UK doesn't care about international standards.
Wtf.
Old 2020-09-11, 02:56   Link #1387
McW
Canaan II When?

Quote:
Well, this is dumb. Or maybe it is what the UK government wants. But how can they say themselves that they are breaking international law by destroying the already signed treaty and still act like they are the good guys and the EU is evil for wanting them to uphold what they signed? Even their moderate own party members and many tory lords don't like and Boris still wants to go through with it despite it not only meaning no deal but also getting sued and showing the whole world that the UK doesn't care about international standards.
Wtf.
You're right, Brexit is not a smart move, plus you need lot of money to pay all the treaty they will break for Brexit. But UK's industry has been down and not great compared with others nations, which trigger the protectionism on the people as if it's caused by others in this case EU even it's not caused by EU.

Similar case in US for years, economy stalls and start blaming game with immigrants even they're not cause of it. Politicians are more than willing sell/push this as cause of the socio-economics problems and their "solution" for the support of the people that are unwilling to look at the bigger picture.
McW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-11, 03:32   Link #1388
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Wtf.
Logic has had no bearing on Brexit for a long, long time! Since when have the mighty Brexiteers been stopped by something as insignificant as half the country being against them? Most of the party being against them? Facts telling them the opposite of what they want?

At this point the UK is heading for a crash and burn scenario and all I can hope is that the EU doesn't contort themselves too much to avoid it (and braces for impact). Clearly logical thinking has no bearing on political world anymore so we can't really hope for an election or something else to make the country shift course. Even the LibDems have given up on arguing against Brexit now!
Old 2020-09-11, 12:23   Link #1389
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've read the bill is unpopular in the Lords. They can't kill it, but they can delay it for a year. Seems to me that would throw the Brexit talks into even more chaos.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-12, 08:53   Link #1390
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
a good while we didnt laugh

https://apnews.com/article/brexit-en...10cdb772918d68
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-13, 11:59   Link #1391
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

That was a fascinating article, Sheba. Thanks!

I've wondered where all the trucks were going to park. This explained a lot.
Old 2020-12-11, 11:11   Link #1392
James Rye

Anyone who bet on no deal Brexit should be quite happy today for they might get a lot of money very soon.^^
Old 2020-12-13, 05:50   Link #1393
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I'm sure it would be a pretty penny, if most of everyone paying attention made that bet.

I was holding out hope that even if the UK was going into this publicly like they had no idea what they were doing, that cooler heads would eventually prevail and something would come out of the talks. Months later, and it was clear nothing changed from the previous 4 years since the referendum.

You could tell that a No Deal scenario was always going to be the most likely when Boris and Raab started to refer to it in creative terms like Australia Style and WTO termed deal instead of what it actually was there were aiming for.

Well, here we are, down to the wire and a shit show to show for it from the UK. The EU member states seems to have largely made up their minds about not wanting to deal with this particular UK government (be it because the UK has idiots in charge or because the UK is operating in bad faith is pretty much irrelevant) and honestly, it's for the best.

Anyways, no use talking about it now, about what could have been. Good luck for the UK on trying to secure that trade deal with India. You're going to need it, considering the US won't look too kindly on you.
Old 2020-12-18, 11:27   Link #1394
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The smell of sovereignty.
Old 2020-12-18, 12:43   Link #1395
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I feel kind of bad for the 40% who voted against Brexit, the rest...
Old 2020-12-18, 18:53   Link #1396
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

48 percent.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-19, 01:58   Link #1397
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Only 40% in the area in question, Kent.
Old 2020-12-19, 04:52   Link #1398
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Only 40% in the area in question, Kent.
Ah, sorry - didn't check the link.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-19, 09:34   Link #1399
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The BBC ran an interesting piece this morning about how COVID is accelerating the centripetal forces pulling Scotland, Wales, and Ulster away from England. Brexit began the process, but COVID has made holding the UK together even more difficult. Even some English regions like Greater Manchester have begun to strike out on their own.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct1csp
Old 2020-12-19, 10:47   Link #1400
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

If Ulster leaves the UK, Scotland will follow. If Scotland leaves the UK, Wales will follow. If Wales leaves the UK, I would not be surprised if Cornwall* & Devon (and maybe even Somerset & Dorset) decide to form a union and also do the reverse brexit.

The domino effect would not end here, this would empower other secessionist movements in Europe, starting by Catalonia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ents_in_Europe

*Remember they also have also their own language, Cornish! >_<
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
politics