AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-07, 14:06   Link #21
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Look at it this way: a chronological adaptation allows the relationships to grow better.

It's the difference between watching Season 1 of Leverage according to broadcast (all over the place) and DVD (chronological) order, as with the 2nd you get to see the team slowly working together and gelling into the team they are.

To an extent, while I liked volume one, a number of things, particularly Kirito and Asuna's relationship, did have a feeling of sorta coming outta nowhere, though it did establish that they'd have been friends for a long time.

I'd rather have a chronological adaptation because 1) it makes sense to new viewers and 2) we can actually see the relationship unfold and see them both defrost.

Also, I'm betting that the first 3 quarters of the series will cover SAO, in all of the sidestories - OP shows a scene from Aria in the Starless Night, and we've already seen Scilica, Lizbeth and Sachi - and then the last 8 episodes will cover Fairy Dance, given what I've seen of the cast list on ANN.

Volume One is a good story, but it isn't perfect, because the relationship upgrade seems like it's the result of a near-death experience. It's only after reading the sidestories that it becomes less so, and more clear that it's a friendship of mutual defrosting that evolved into something more.

Volume 1 relationship by itself is like an rifle with iron sights. Volume 1 with sidestories is like an ACR with fixed stock, EO Tech sights, underbarrel grenade launcher, side rail laser aiming module and Surefire taclight, and using PMags instead of standard magazines.

Sorry. Been playing Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2012-07-07 at 14:12. Reason: Edit for attempted adherence to spoilers. Garh.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 14:08   Link #22
Nihgthawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
both episode 1 and bits of episode 2 were part of a premiere screening in Paris a week or two ago.
So we can blame the french for something else now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
How would it be any different than it was for the novel readers back when only volume 1 was out?
They could go online and read the web version.
Nihgthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 14:09   Link #23
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
Well in the anime(preview), they show a guy jumping off a cliff suiciding and along with that girl with the black hair. I am assuming that they are part of the guild that kirito belong to. The guild's Leader is so "Meh" to me, jumping off a cliff because the guildmember's die and find out kirito is BEATER.
Yep, you're right. And I think you mean the girl with blue hair (Sachi)?

That scene, and those that prelude are going to be quite heart wrenching. x:
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 14:11   Link #24
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Well still.

And while it's not the only reason for my disappointment, my heart does cry largely because of the effective neutralization of volume 1's rule-breaker.

And a little head smashing with the crying.
Old 2012-07-07, 14:19   Link #25
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Well still.

And while it's not the only reason for my disappointment, my heart does cry largely because of the effective neutralization of volume 1's rule-breaker.

And a little head smashing with the crying.
curious, what is this "rule-breaker" you're talking about?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 14:21   Link #26
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Dude, just enjoy the anime on it's own merits. You'll feel a lot happier that way. ;D

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-07-07, 14:24   Link #27
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
curious, what is this "rule-breaker" you're talking about?
Novel spoiler.
Old 2012-07-07, 14:28   Link #28
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Look at it this way: a chronological adaptation allows the relationships to grow better.

It's the difference between watching Season 1 of Leverage according to broadcast (all over the place) and DVD (chronological) order, as with the 2nd you get to see the team slowly working together and gelling into the team they are.

To an extent, while I liked volume one, a number of things, particularly Kirito and Asuna's relationship, did have a feeling of sorta coming outta nowhere, though it did establish that they'd have been friends for a long time.

I'd rather have a chronological adaptation because 1) it makes sense to new viewers and 2) we can actually see the relationship unfold and see them both defrost.

Also, I'm betting that the first 3 quarters of the series will cover SAO, in all of the sidestories - OP shows a scene from Aria in the Starless Night, and we've already seen Scilica, Lizbeth and Sachi - and then the last 8 episodes will cover Fairy Dance, given what I've seen of the cast list on ANN.

Volume One is a good story, but it isn't perfect, because the relationship upgrade seems like it's the result of a near-death experience. It's only after reading the sidestories that it becomes less so, and more clear that it's a friendship of mutual defrosting that evolved into something more.

Volume 1 relationship by itself is like an rifle with iron sights. Volume 1 with sidestories is like an ACR with fixed stock, EO Tech sights, underbarrel grenade launcher, side rail laser aiming module and Surefire taclight, and using PMags instead of standard magazines.

Sorry. Been playing Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.
I completely agree with your post. I think a chronological adaptation be more effective than how Kawahara published the LNs. Different techniques of storytelling need to be used for different mediums, and while publishing all the SS's in volume 2 worked for the LN, it would be an awkward transition from the end of volume 1 to volume 2 in the anime. Short of putting a lot of flashbacks into the series, I don't see how they would manage to integrate the SS's, and even so, the long flashbacks would ruin the flow of the story.
Old 2012-07-07, 14:30   Link #29
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
I completely agree with your post. I think a chronological adaptation be more effective than how Kawahara published the LNs. Different techniques of storytelling need to be used for different mediums, and while publishing all the SS's in volume 2 worked for the LN, it would be an awkward transition from the end of volume 1 to volume 2 in the anime. Short of putting a lot of flashbacks into the series, I don't see how they would manage to integrate the SS's, and even so, the long flashbacks would ruin the flow of the story.
That's a great point considering that we've been introduced to volume 2 characters ie, Lizbet and Scilia etc. in the first episode in a cameo sense. Since volume 2 is a side story/tie in to volume 1, why integrate them in the story while at the same time keep the pace of the first volume.

Last edited by Kirito; 2012-07-07 at 14:47.
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 14:34   Link #30
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Novel spoiler.
I certainly don't recall anything in the novel that gets "neutralized" by adapting the story in a chronological order.
Old 2012-07-07, 14:42   Link #31
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
I certainly don't recall anything in the novel that gets "neutralized" by adapting the story in a chronological order.
If you look at promo art of Kirito, there's a certain thing which is conspicuously absent.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 14:44   Link #32
Deltaray

Seems that from judging the opening we will see the murder case side story too,
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 14:49   Link #33
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
If you look at promo art of Kirito, there's a certain thing which is conspicuously absent.
aha, gotcha.

Certainly a legitimate concern, but then it depends on whether/how they adapt that particular story arc.
Old 2012-07-07, 14:56   Link #34
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

The op implies that Kirito and Asuna take down the level 74 boss together, instead of him solo.

If this is the case, i approve. Needs more battle couple.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-07-07, 14:57   Link #35
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

.... It's in his storage.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-07-07, 15:00   Link #36
RainbowMagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
Seems that from judging the opening we will see the murder case side story too,
The fact that Kains' name appears in the roster also adds to that.
RainbowMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 15:01   Link #37
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
The op implies that Kirito and Asuna take down the level 74 boss together, instead of him solo.

If this is the case, i approve. Needs more battle couple.
I don't. :/ I think that was just the OP's way of showing the battle, without actually showing the battle. Quite a few anime do that.

I honestly can't wait for that battle..
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 15:30   Link #38
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
That's a great point considering that we've been introduced to volume 2 characters ie, Lizbet and Scilia etc. in the first episode in a cameo sense. Since volume 2 is a side story/tie in to volume 1, why integrate them in the story while at the same time keep the pace of the first volume.
Well, all the players were present when the announcement was made...so that scene was used to do a quick introduction to them.

Also, regarding the plot's order, it will most likely be chronological.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Scilica, Lizbet and Sachi's side stories can be covered by an episode each.

Well, for now, I'll just look forward to ep 2 :3

Quote:
.... It's in his storage.
About "this", I doubt that Kirito's *static* would be nerfed because, it's vital for the plot.
Old 2012-07-07, 15:33   Link #39
Deltaray

Most likely they will take that 1 episode each, but I'd say they will adapt that one novel 1 chapter to those, which explains those 4 "groups", as Scilica story pretty much needs it in my option, maybe even Sachi one too.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 15:39   Link #40
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Scilica, Lizbet and Sachi's side stories can be covered by an episode each
Agreed, except for Sachi. It's really going to depend on how they adapt that particular story.