AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-10, 10:21   Link #241
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

My take on it is that they can all perceive souls to some degree. Some are just better at it than others, while people like Black Star are practically useless when it comes to that.
Old 2008-12-10, 12:12   Link #242
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnated View Post
Wait wait wait. B*S can once feel Sid's presence through Tsubaki.
Spoiler:
is that all Soul perception ability then? And if Spirit has Soul perception ability , why did he ask about Maka's condition to Stein in Kishin arc?

Spirit and Yumi are Death Scythes , which it's possible that they are special from any of Shibusen students after eating those 99 bad souls and 1 witch soul.

but...Soul perception ability isn't special then?? That's a bit disappointing

Spoiler:
I think Maka's particular soul wavelength is something different from Soul Perception, and that it's unusual whereas Soul Perception is not. I know Kid has Soul Perception - we found that out in the Nidhogg chapters/episode. Arguably Maka's is better, at least in some respects - can sense Stein and Marie even inside Brew's vortex when the others could not.

I don't think Soul Perception is anything special in the scheme of things - it turns up in some shape or form far too frequently (especially amongst the adult characters) for it to be a rare trait. Like the manga character I mentioned above, it falls well within Shinigami's point about human adaptation to the threat of witches - they became able to sense souls, and in response the witches developed Soul Protect.

On Maka - Simply put, I don't think she's a Weapon or has any of those characteristics.
Spoiler:
We know the look of Maka's soul from Stein; if there was 'Weapon' in her, he surely would have noticed it. This is assuming Weapon forms are always as clear from individual souls as Giriko and Justin's are.

Also, given the sort of direction she's taken in the past when it comes to brute strength, I doubt she would have ignored any Weapon ability she possessed. We knew early on - Shinigami in episode 5 - that a Weapon provides the physical power in a pair.

I can't imagine Maka - good student that she is - was entirely unaware of this relationship, and had she possessed a Weapon form when she decided she needed to become 'stronger' physically, I think she would have used it then if at all. She certainly was under the impression that pressing forward hard, figuratively and literally, was the way to go.

On Spirit in the Kishin arc - Like I said before, I think Soul Perception differs between individuals. It's quite possible Spirit doesn't have as wide a range for soul perception as Stein does.
Old 2008-12-13, 18:47   Link #243
Stream
Radical Dreamer

Soul perception isn't a special ability. Instead, it's an ability that high-level technicians have. Some technicians are obviously better at it than others, but wth even Black Star possessing (weak) soul perception now, it's obvious that it's not a special ability. So far, Stein, BJ, and Maka have the strongest soul perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
Spoiler:
That is why I am suggesting that Maka inherited "Weapon."

Quote:
We know the look of Maka's soul from Stein; if there was 'Weapon' in her, he surely would have noticed it. This is assuming Weapon forms are always as clear from individual souls as Giriko and Justin's are.
I am still waiting for the evidence that Stein can recognize the difference between a weapon and technician soul.

Quote:
Also, given the sort of direction she's taken in the past when it comes to brute strength, I doubt she would have ignored any Weapon ability she possessed. We knew early on - Shinigami in episode 5 - that a Weapon provides the physical power in a pair.

I can't imagine Maka - good student that she is - was entirely unaware of this relationship, and had she possessed a Weapon form when she decided she needed to become 'stronger' physically, I think she would have used it then if at all. She certainly was under the impression that pressing forward hard, figuratively and literally, was the way to go.
First, you say, "a weapon provides the physical power in a pair." Um, what do you mean? Also, maybe you can't imagine it, but I can. She wants to be stronger as a technician, not a weapon.
Old 2008-12-14, 07:46   Link #244
lmd_84

The inheritance point combined with the fact the Weapons' souls appear to reflect their forms is why I don't think Maka has Weapon traits. If she does, and is aware of them, I think she would have used them by now following her determination to become physically stronger.

Which leads me onto Shinigami's point in episode 5 - After Stein first hits Maka with his wavelength, Kid points out that Weapons cause physical damage and enhance their Technician's wavelength (re Shinigami's guitar and amplifier analogy).

The two - the nature of a Weapon to deal physical damage, and Maka's post-Crona determination to being physically stronger - is why I think if Maka knew she had Weapon characteristics, she would have used them by now.

Admittedly, no, we don't know Stein can identify a Weapon by their souls, so in that respect there might be something Weapon-related about Maka that we don't yet know. But that would add another unusual aspect to a character who I think already has enough to deal with - the black blood and
Spoiler:

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this. You think Maka could be a Weapon of some sort, and I don't. Fair?
Old 2008-12-20, 15:05   Link #245
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Question - If Maka is able to use something like Soul Purge...since she has a demon slayer wavelength wouldn't that be something she could use to rid Marie of the snake and to rid Stein of the wavelength of insanity because Soul Purge forces the users wavelength into the opponent.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Old 2008-12-20, 17:50   Link #246
lmd_84

On Marie...possibly the technique would work. I'm very dubious about the notion that Maka (or anyone) alone could dispel the effects of Asura's insanity from Stein. We know one wavelength can affect another - it's why Marie's with Franken - but Asura's wavelength is massive and extremely powerful. If Soul Purge could help Franken, I think it would have been used already, because Shinigami knows of the technique and wants to help him.
Old 2008-12-21, 16:11   Link #247
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
On Marie...possibly the technique would work. I'm very dubious about the notion that Maka (or anyone) alone could dispel the effects of Asura's insanity from Stein. We know one wavelength can affect another - it's why Marie's with Franken - but Asura's wavelength is massive and extremely powerful. If Soul Purge could help Franken, I think it would have been used already, because Shinigami knows of the technique and wants to help him.
Yeah I know but it couldn't have been used already because only Maka and her mother have the Demon-Slayer Wavelength therefore if Maka was to learn to master or at least get near mastery on focusing the Demon-slayer wavelength and was able to perform Soul Purge/Double Lance or maybe even Soul Menace on Stein maybe it could at least lessen the effects of insanity on Stein.

Old 2008-12-22, 07:08   Link #248
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

wait wait...Maka's mom has demonslayer's wavelength as well? I didn't know that!

And some random thought....I noticed earlier Maka's soul shape is an angel one , and Soul has demon inside him...wow what an opposite attract!

About getting rid of insanity , she herself can't get rid the black blood out of Soul -- how can she get rid of anyone else's?
Old 2008-12-22, 13:10   Link #249
Mattelajn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
Question - If Maka is able to use something like Soul Purge...since she has a demon slayer wavelength wouldn't that be something she could use to rid Marie of the snake and to rid Stein of the wavelength of insanity because Soul Purge forces the users wavelength into the opponent.
Wouldn't that hurt them also?
Old 2008-12-22, 13:12   Link #250
lmd_84

@Reincarnated

It's anime canon that Maka's mother has the same wavelength, I think. From what Cub-sama was suggesting, I think the idea is that because she has the demonslayer wavelength, Maka could adapt Soul Purge (or similar) to remove the effects of the insanity wavelength from, say, Stein. If so, I'd say it hasn't happened with Soul because Maka hasn't considered her wavelength like that yet. However, she has recognised that - for whatever reason - the black blood doesn't stay in her.

That said, I don't agree Maka could do such a thing. But it is a neat idea.
Old 2008-12-22, 15:04   Link #251
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
@Reincarnated

It's anime canon that Maka's mother has the same wavelength, I think. From what Cub-sama was suggesting, I think the idea is that because she has the demonslayer wavelength, Maka could adapt Soul Purge (or similar) to remove the effects of the insanity wavelength from, say, Stein. If so, I'd say it hasn't happened with Soul because Maka hasn't considered her wavelength like that yet. However, she has recognised that - for whatever reason - the black blood doesn't stay in her.

That said, I don't agree Maka could do such a thing. But it is a neat idea.
I was just hoping it was possible because Stein is one of my favourite characters and him not being able to fight due to insanity is kind of annoying.

Old 2009-02-01, 02:16   Link #252
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Kirvee Send a message via MSN to Kirvee Send a message via Yahoo to Kirvee
I love these two as characters and as a couple.

They go so well together ^_^. I hope they have more moments in the future.
Old 2009-02-02, 00:00   Link #253
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

But Maka in the recent episode annoys me a bit I know that she was always ranting about not being strong in the beginning of this anime , but other than that she is so determined , and not moping around like that >_>"

While Soul is like "I don't care" at first too...*sigh*

I hope this is just me.
Old 2009-02-03, 00:50   Link #254
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Kirvee Send a message via MSN to Kirvee Send a message via Yahoo to Kirvee
Do you mean in episode 42?

She did seem a bit too mopey...but then again, this is a diversion from the manga, so the finer points of the relationships are different.

On a slightly different note, I found it oddly cute when Soul came into the kitchen and was able to drink out of a milk carton and Maka not care at all. You know you live with a good woman when something like that happens, XD.
Old 2009-02-05, 13:55   Link #255
sbk

The way Soul says "cool" cracks me up. He´s probably my favorite character.
Old 2009-02-05, 17:16   Link #256
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirvee View Post
Do you mean in episode 42?

She did seem a bit too mopey...but then again, this is a diversion from the manga, so the finer points of the relationships are different.

On a slightly different note, I found it oddly cute when Soul came into the kitchen and was able to drink out of a milk carton and Maka not care at all. You know you live with a good woman when something like that happens, XD.
I took it that Maka was too depressed to notice or care. Normally, I reckon she'd have smacked him with the nearest hardback.

Her attitude in recent episodes is a little irritating, but I can see where it's coming from.
Old 2009-02-05, 17:40   Link #257
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl

@lmd: That's true. But then it'd seem like Soul was taking advantage of her depression, which I don't think he'd do.
Old 2009-02-06, 13:10   Link #258
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

^ Err I dont understand. what do you mean by that?
Old 2009-02-06, 15:46   Link #259
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl

Like, if Maka normally hits Soul if he drinks out of the carton, then by him drinking out of it when she seems too depressed to care about it, it seems as if he's using her depression to his advantage so that he can drink out of the carton without getting hit.

Yeah...

But, I don't think Soul would do that to Maka, which is why I say she probably lets him which means she's a good woman to live with, because most women have hissy fits if a guy drinks from a carton.
Old 2009-02-06, 16:53   Link #260
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirvee View Post
Like, if Maka normally hits Soul if he drinks out of the carton, then by him drinking out of it when she seems too depressed to care about it, it seems as if he's using her depression to his advantage so that he can drink out of the carton without getting hit.

Yeah...

But, I don't think Soul would do that to Maka, which is why I say she probably lets him which means she's a good woman to live with, because most women have hissy fits if a guy drinks from a carton.
Not sure if that means he's taking advantage of her depression. I mean if he does it anyways despite getting hit then he'd just be behaving normally. Just not adjusting his milk drinking behaviour due to a depressed Maka. But maybe they just agreed that its fine for him to drink out of the carton. Of course I doubt they are going to show him drinking any milk in the future so speculation on this point will probably never reach a certain conclusion.

At any rate living together I'm sure they've had to come to agreements about things. Not easy to live with others so have to make things work. They are an interesting pair even if I wouldn't have them as my favourite team. Though still like the Maka and Soul team.