AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2009-05-22, 23:44   Link #181
Kyourin
garbage collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
hxxp://files.filefront.com/My+Love+is+a+Staplermp3/;13794198;/fileinfo.html

My love is the stapler.mp3
Replace "xx" with "tt"
i suggest amplifying the sound ^^
Kyourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 19:36   Link #182
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Finally got around to reviewing "Fuwa Fuwa Time." Despite my initial misgivings, this song did turn out all right at the very end and I have no real issues beyond the fact that it's not memorable. That's not a strike against the quality of the song, but just based on my tastes since I don't think people will remember it years down the line.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 01:56   Link #183
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Awesome review zzeroparticle, you pretty much nailed everything I thought of both songs as well.

I think I've been a little unfair to Fuwa Fuwa Time. After taking a listen to the full version, I've come to terms with myself and have agreed that it's a much better song than I initially thought. Yeah, it isn't memorable, and it's probably one of the weaker if not weakest K-On! vocal song in my eyes, but it's still a damn good listen.

I still think "My Love is a Stapler" is infinitely superior though.
Old 2009-05-24, 02:24   Link #184
jp_zer0

Anyone's thoughts on polyphonic music in Japan and how it relates to baroque era composition?
jp_zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 03:19   Link #185
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
I still think "My Love is a Stapler" is infinitely superior though.
The lyrics are cheesy for sure, but it's a good kind of cheese. I also liked the dynamics that sparked between Mio and Yui as the two basically delivered a very catchy duet.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 08:25   Link #186
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
And now, courtesy of my obsessive watching looking around on the Pony Canyon site, information on the first two character song CDs - Yui and Mio.
Now this is what I'm really interested in. I'm already bored of the OP/ED songs, though I do enjoy playing the bass of the OP in my head from time to time.

If KyoAni can make Hirano Aya and I guess even Goto Yuko sound decent, I wonder what they can do with Toyosaki Aki's singing. Not sure on Sato Satomi's vocals after only hearing her sing a verse, but I'm slightly excited for Hikasa Yoko and Kotobuki Minako to sing. The only thing I'm scared about is how they'll most likely sing in character.

I mean, Chihara Minori wasn't singing in her Yuki voice for the ED for SHnY S2, which totally caught me off guard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_zer0 View Post
Anyone's thoughts on polyphonic music in Japan and how it relates to baroque era composition?
Ergh, I completely forget Baroque composition, but....

Now I have Polyrhythm stuck in my head. D:

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 08:37   Link #187
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Goto Yuko can carry a tune, but not for too long. Her singing parts in the Hidamari Sketch songs made it quite clear that she cannot be the main singer.
Old 2009-05-24, 09:23   Link #188
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Goto Yuko can carry a tune, but not for too long. Her singing parts in the Hidamari Sketch songs made it quite clear that she cannot be the main singer.
Hearing Hirano Aya live isn't great either, though it looks like she's learnt how to breathe when I tried to watch her Animelo 2008 performance. It's making me glad that Chihara Minori seems to be gaining popularity in the anison world because she can sing and she can sing live. Her new single doesn't really interested me, though.

Er, I actually don't remember Goto Yuko's singing for Hidamari. I just faintly remember Shintani Ryoko for pretty obvious reasons, yeah?

I'm still kind of "lolwat" at how Minorin didn't sing with her Yuki voice for the new Haruhi ED.... Maybe I'll get to hear Kotobuki singing in a more comfortable range. >_<

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2009-05-24, 09:27   Link #189
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Really great seiyuu-singers usually fall into the "seiyuu as a sideline" cat, in my books. Case in point: Sakamoto Maaya. Quite clearly, the lady is still doing VA stuff because she likes it. Same with Mizuki Nana, maybe to a lesser extent, since she hasn't reach the point where she's writing most of her songs herself.
Old 2009-05-24, 18:27   Link #190
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Before I get somewhat off topic, wow, Fuwa Fuwa Time didn't get any higher than 4th, did it? Still really good for an insert song. I mean, Nana-sama's MASSIVE WONDERS single, which also included the Pray insert song, didn't get any higher than 4th....

I need to invest in the power of otaku.
Quote:
Really great seiyuu-singers usually fall into the "seiyuu as a sideline" cat, in my books. Case in point: Sakamoto Maaya. Quite clearly, the lady is still doing VA stuff because she likes it. Same with Mizuki Nana, maybe to a lesser extent, since she hasn't reach the point where she's writing most of her songs herself.
Well, right off the bat, most of the seiyuu singers I like started out already being involved with music and just dabbled into voice acting. Nanri Yuuka, Momoi Haruko, Kuribayashi Minami, Makino Yui (ry Don't know if I can mention things like how Chihara Minori was supposedly a street performer before she became a seiyuu. But at least the two you mentioned started out as seiyuu and through anison, they gained popularity in the music world, I think. I honestly don't know much about Sakamoto because I never got into her. And I can't exactly talk about Kondo Nana's Tsugazakura being successful, but singing enka at the age of thirteen is still impressive. Very funny you mention those two because I usually compare them with each other. I find Sakamoto Maaya is the better voice actress, but I enjoy Mizuki Nana's singing more. That and Sakamoto Maaya is to Kanno Yoko as Nanri Yuuka is to Kajiura Yuki to me.

Mizuki Nana may not write many songs herself and she's only composed I think three songs, with an upcoming one in her new album, but she's very passionate about what she does. I don't exactly understand why you mentioned the song writing. She could probably drop voice acting to further work on her singing career. I mean, it's kind of funny when some of her fans don't realize she's a seiyuu. Main problem is while she is a talented singer, not everyone enjoys her yodelling. As much as she wants to sing enka, she knows it won't sell as much as the songs she's singing now.
Yeah, I'm sorry I can't really talk much about Sakamoto....
And I guess it depends on what you define great. I'll just list some seiyuu I think are great singers and still pretty involved in voice acting;
  • Chiba Saeko - probably my favourite seiyuu singer after Mizuki Nana.
  • Horie Yui
  • Nogawa Sakura
  • Takahashi Mikako
  • Shiraishi Ryoko
  • Inoue Marina
  • Kitamura Eri
  • Tamura Yukari - while Hocchan is probably the better singer, I enjoy how Yukarin can sing such a wide variety of songs. And I'm probably biased because she's my favourite seiyuu of all time.
  • .... I'm sorry for being unable to list any male seiyuu and not liking Tanaka Rie's singing.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2009-05-24, 19:14   Link #191
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Tanaka-san is still firmly in the seiyuu category .She's one of those seiyuu who "can sing as an added bonus". On the other hand, Mizuki-san is definitely no longer a green-horn, even on stage. So, yeah. Speaking about Fate-san, Nanoha herself isn't too shabby.

Most of the ladies you mention still goes under the "firmly seiyuu" cat, not because they have no talent, but no manager want to risks his balls and package them to be something big. That, or they're still new or feel that they're not quite ready. (Ambition does play a part in this.) Horie Yui's stage career should never ever include school uniforms. Her Silky Heart MV is enough to scar me.

Many people think of Kanno when they listen to Sakamoto, but I think CLAMP has their part in her career. If there is ever a poster girl of CLAMP OSTs, Maaya would be it.
Old 2009-05-24, 23:12   Link #192
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

I wonder, would they release a character CD for Sawako-sensei? They should include death metal in it.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 01:28   Link #193
Kyourin
garbage collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
I wonder, would they release a character CD for Sawako-sensei? They should include death metal in it.
most prolly yes .. because in other animes you'll see singles CDs of characters you don't even imagine singing
Kyourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 08:55   Link #194
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

"Fuwa Fuwa Time" started at fourth on Oricon? That's amazing for such an undistinguished song. Very few anime songs come anywhere near that. The song is enjoyable, but without the anime it would have been about 35th. Congratulations to all.

Has it been established whether the girls play their own instruments on any of these singles or insert songs? I can't find the names of the players in the anime credits or in what I've seen of the jackets. "Mio" is supposed to have written the lyrics, but I don't know what that means. Did Hikasa Youko write them?

I'm guessing they're still learning their instruments, with the idea of actually playing on some future songs.

LVD listed some interesting singers, so I hope he/she has listened to Hayami Saori's songs. Hayamin, to me, has the most beautiful voice of any seiyuu, and skill approaching that of Minorin or Nana -- or even Maaya. She still has to develop the ability to sing as well live, and with more volume, though.

Gotou Yuuko can carry a tune for about half a bar, it seems to me. I really can't stand listening to her, much as I like some of her seiyuu characters. To me, Horie Yui is the archetypal seiyuu/singer. She can sing, but her pitch is often just slightly off.

I agree that the best seiyuu/singers are singers first and seiyuus second. Hayami Saori's excellence at both tasks may delay her drift into pure singer. She's only 17, and not a glamorous beauty, so I think they are delaying her solo singing debut until she is at her peak in both skill and looks.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 09:00   Link #195
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

In the Hidamari Sketch X365 OP, Hiro never gets more than 2 lines at any single take. That should say something.

Saori-chan is still young. The road's long ahead, and there is always room for improvement. Same goes for the K-On girls.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-05-25 at 09:10.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 10:29   Link #196
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Didn't see these posted before, but these pretty damn good piano versions of the three popular K-ON! songs...

Old 2009-05-25, 13:02   Link #197
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Most of the ladies you mention still goes under the "firmly seiyuu" cat, not because they have no talent, but no manager want to risks his balls and package them to be something big. That, or they're still new or feel that they're not quite ready. (Ambition does play a part in this.) Horie Yui's stage career should never ever include school uniforms. Her Silky Heart MV is enough to scar me.

Many people think of Kanno when they listen to Sakamoto, but I think CLAMP has their part in her career. If there is ever a poster girl of CLAMP OSTs, Maaya would be it.
Er, I just listed ones I thought were good singers, but more active in voice acting as opposed to your singer first, seiyuu second comment. I probably wouldn't have listed Shiraishi Ryoko, Kitamura Eri and Inoue Marina otherwise. And yeah, I'm not a fan of Horie Yui's death stares PVs for the ToraDora songs. Or a fan of her appearance in general.

I haven't seen much of CLAMP's stuff, so that's my problem right there. First thing I remember Sakamoto for was Gravity. I do remember her from Tsubasa, but the other vocalists [Makino Yui, Nanri Yuuka, and FJ KEIKO] had songs that were more memorable for me. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Has it been established whether the girls play their own instruments on any of these singles or insert songs? I can't find the names of the players in the anime credits or in what I've seen of the jackets. "Mio" is supposed to have written the lyrics, but I don't know what that means. Did Hikasa Youko write them?

I'm guessing they're still learning their instruments, with the idea of actually playing on some future songs.
Oh hey, it's hashihime~

I haven't been able to find the proper credits either and it's bugging me. I just highly doubt the girls would be able to play the ED song after only playing their respective instruments for three-ish months when the single came out. And Mio writes the lyrics in the manga, but there wasn't enough to make a complete song. Perhaps Hikasa Yoko added onto them as she tried to think in character? I believe Ito Shizuka did the same for one or two songs from that HiNA album.

But yeah, skimming through some episodes of Rajion!, they're still learning. They were pretty decent in episode eight.
Quote:
LVD listed some interesting singers, so I hope he/she has listened to Hayami Saori's songs. Hayamin, to me, has the most beautiful voice of any seiyuu, and skill approaching that of Minorin or Nana -- or even Maaya. She still has to develop the ability to sing as well live, and with more volume, though.
I fell in love the moment I heard Hayamin singing the ED for Wagaya no Oinari-sama and I fell harder after hearing the B side for the single. I remember screaming when I found out she was only sixteen. I have so much hope for her because she's so young. Just makes me sad when some people poke about her appearance, like when she was compared to the other two girls in Eclipse. Rofl, what did j1m0ne say.... "Beauties and the Beast"
Quote:
Gotou Yuuko can carry a tune for about half a bar, it seems to me. I really can't stand listening to her, much as I like some of her seiyuu characters. To me, Horie Yui is the archetypal seiyuu/singer. She can sing, but her pitch is often just slightly off.
Ergh, no more Goto Yuko or I'll end up thinking of Kaneda Tomoko singing enka again.

.... -sigh- I haven't heard much of Horie Yui's singing outside of Kurobara Hozonkai, but I thought she was great there. Maybe I get too lost listening to the instruments to pay attention to if her singing is off or not. Though, I've always thought she was the better singer than Yukarin and I find it interesting you didn't poke her ears singing in your post.
Quote:
I agree that the best seiyuu/singers are singers first and seiyuus second.
The best, yes.

I just thought we were talking about others that were great, though I guess not equally as great. Chiba Saeko is probably the only one I'd put up there with Minorin, though I find Yukarin's concerts terribly amusing to watch. And this is just making me miss tiaraway even more. Dammit.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2009-05-25, 19:38   Link #198
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, "good" is a subjective term (That's my assumption, since I'm NOT an expert on seiyuu songs.). Also, I guess what the ladies want for themselves is important. Not all of them wants to be holding concerts like Mizuki-san.

After hearing 4 songs from the band (OP, Fuwa Fuwa, Love is a Stapler, and ED), I can only conclude that the OP, Fuwa Fuwa, and Love is a Stapler are songs by girls for those who want to feel warm and fuzzy. Don't Say Lazy is another beast altogether, a song by women for those who want to rock!

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-05-26 at 08:02.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 11:24   Link #199
onemadcow

That time of the week again...

Week 5 was again a bit of a surprise for the OP/ED songs with 'Lazy' charting at 13 for the week with another 8220 copies (122891 total) and 'Cagayake!' landing at 16 with 7432 copies (111032 total). I'm sure some of that is due to a bump from 'Fuwa x2'

Speaking of which, 'Fuwa x2' didn't do badly on it's own, with 39458 copies in it's first week. It actually did rise to #2 on the dailies on Thursday, but was #3 for the week overall.

BTW, rank for songs really doesn't mean all that much - it's all about sales and what's competing for the week. This week there's a nearly 90k spread between 1st and 3rd place. Some weeks things are much closer, and had Glay released one day later, 'Fuwa x2' would have come off with #2 for the week instead.

Anyway, I think that this next week you'll finally see 'Cagayake!' fade out of the top 20, this will probably be 'Lazy's last week in the top 20, and 'Fuwa x2' will struggle to remain in the top 10. As for the forthcoming character singles, I think that 'Fuwa x2's performance is a good indicator of what to expect, with the possible exception of Mio's single.

I have more to say about the singer/seiyuu thing and the production credits, but will have to leave it for another post. I'm being a bad boy at work by writing even this ^_^
onemadcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 20:09   Link #200
Nerroth
NePoi!

Did anyone else think of Office Space when the whole stapler thing was mentioned?