AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-15, 10:10   Link #281
TimeMask
Phantom Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I saw that clip many times and no, they don't look fast. The hands movements before blocking might be fast but not the actual battle. Their kicks are on pair with Korra's and they don't look very flexible.

Well for one, several years passed since then, animation had improved. Besides her movements are pretty fast in close up when she hits earth benders and we only saw few shots while she took out a dozen of them. She also is more into acrobatics and prefers to play around before striking. She could have taken out the first dude instantly but instead played around by avoiding before striking.

In episode 16 her hands move fast when she knocks out the warriors.

In episode 19 Ty Lee took Katara out before she was able to do anything and there was enough of time.

Besides Ty Lee's main advantage is not speed but her flexibility and acrobatic abilities. And believe me, those play a huge role.

Physical strength doesn't mean that Korra can keep up with Ty Lee's fluid movements. Korra will be stronger than Ty Lee eventually, no doubt there but right now I really doubt it.
I was comparing Ty Lee to Amon's men not Korra. Its too early to say who's stronger since we haven't seen much from Amon's men, also I never mentioned physical strength.

I watched some Ty Lee fight videos and in terms of movement speed Amon's men can run around Ty Lee's level of speed and they use chi blocking faster then her.

Chi blocking may have been improved since Ty Lee's time and Amon's men are older then Ty Lee which is why I think you are being too quick to confirm Ty Lee is better then Amon's men but its possible.

Last edited by TimeMask; 2012-04-15 at 12:02.
TimeMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 11:19   Link #282
DangerMouse

Oh yeah, and Tenzin's cheer and then regain of composure at the victory at the end of the match was awesome, lol.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 17:05   Link #283
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Looks like I was on the right track about Amon (no spoilers).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 17:12   Link #284
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I hope they will have an answer to what happened to Zuko's mom in the future, but I won't count on it.

Other than that, I think I'm going to like this stand-alone seasons, although I liked the original format too. It'll be a nice change of pace for a sequel.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 17:47   Link #285
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

We should be getting Episode 3 this upcoming weekend right?

(I already watched Episodes 1 and 2 last month)
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 19:56   Link #286
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Are they streaming this anywhere? I forgot that I don't have cable any longer .

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 20:25   Link #287
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I think I saw someone say the first two episodes on nick.com right now, probably a US only stream however. And yes episode 3 is this Saturday, got a trailer for it here.
Old 2012-04-16, 07:44   Link #288
ellifeedn
Thinker

The first two episodes were interesting. Based on what I saw, Korra has essentially lived all her life in the South Pole training, with masters coming to the South Pole. Previous Avatars have gone to the other nations to learn their respective bending. I think this change may be part of the reason why Korra hasn't picked up on the spirituality of bending, not being part of the world at large.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 09:56   Link #289
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Well, this show certainly blows away everything Japan has to offer this season. And that's something coming from me, when there's nary a hint of an osananajimi in this show.

Me certainly like the brothers though. Right now, I prefer Mako over the other brother (whose name I can't even remember). But then again that's me thinking Zuko was the best character of the first series (receiving the most development and all), and Mako certainly reminds me of him

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 20:45   Link #290
Starshipw
Free Opinions Available

That is a fine tribute to Mako, the voice of Uncle Iroh in season 1 and 2, to name the primary male lead after him.
Starshipw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 21:20   Link #291
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshipw View Post
That is a fine tribute to Mako, the voice of Uncle Iroh in season 1 and 2, to name the primary male lead after him.
Secondary male lead...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 21:30   Link #292
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Well, this show certainly blows away everything Japan has to offer this season. And that's something coming from me, when there's nary a hint of an osananajimi in this show.
That’s to be expected when you have such a huge budget in animating the show. The budget of all the anime this season probably doesn’t reach half or even a third to what Korra has. You also have to consider that the US produces a handful of well-funded cartoons, while in Japan a TV anime series to have similar funding is unheard of. Nickleodeon and the animation studio working on the series also have much more leeway on what they can animate. Make no mistake I love Avatar but I don’t feel it’s fair to compare it to a regular anime series (or even another US cartoon) with a far less budget. Avatar could be compared to a high production anime movie or OVA series.

Last edited by bumbayker; 2012-04-18 at 22:26.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 21:45   Link #293
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Honestly I doubt Korra has a bigger budget than say Fate/Zero, honestly I'd say that Japan produces more well-animated cartoons than the US does but that's just because they put out literally a hundred-ish new shows each year.
Old 2012-04-18, 21:46   Link #294
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Secondary male lead...
Sorry, primary male lead. Bolin don't count (You should see that clip on nick.com.) and Tenzin won't be around for too much longer after she starts her traveling.

And there's the kiss....
Old 2012-04-18, 21:47   Link #295
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I dunno, Avatar is set to run for 26 episodes. No matter what its budget is, if it's getting a run time like your typical anime series, I'm going to compare it to one.

Besides, if first season is of any indication, animation quality is going to drop. I swear, the fighting choreography just took a nose dive by the third book of the first series.. just so happens I was hooked to the story by then to actualy complain. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 22:50   Link #296
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Honestly I doubt Korra has a bigger budget than say Fate/Zero, honestly I'd say that Japan produces more well-animated cartoons than the US does but that's just because they put out literally a hundred-ish new shows each year.
I seriously doubt that. Though Fate/Zero indeed has high production value for an anime TV series, its still not in the same level of animation as Korra or even the original Avatar series. If you look carefully at Fate/Zero you will find some "quality" animation and still scenes with little to no animation. Also the CGI used is cheaper than hand-drawn animation and in a way masks any imperfections. As for Avatar: TLAB and LoK you don't see any "quality" or badly done animation and hardly use a lot of CGI. There's a lot of action and the frame count used per second is high. From that you can tell that a very generous amount of money was provided in production.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 01:31   Link #297
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Sorry, primary male lead. Bolin don't count (You should see that clip on nick.com.) and Tenzin won't be around for too much longer after she starts her traveling.

And there's the kiss....
Isn't there supposed to be more focus on the politics in Republic City? I'm not sure they're just going to have Korra running out of it so soon.

It also sounds like they've given Korra early mastery of Fire and earth bending in order to let them really focus on her mastery of air bending, which is the most opposite of her personality, and let her interact with Tenzin more.

I'm not sure this is gonna follow the formula set up in Last Airbender.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 01:33   Link #298
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
I seriously doubt that. Though Fate/Zero indeed has high production value for an anime TV series, its still not in the same level of animation as Korra or even the original Avatar series. If you look carefully at Fate/Zero you will find some "quality" animation and still scenes with little to no animation. Also the CGI used is cheaper than hand-drawn animation and in a way masks any imperfections. As for Avatar: TLAB and LoK you don't see any "quality" or badly done animation and hardly use a lot of CGI. There's a lot of action and the frame count used per second is high. From that you can tell that a very generous amount of money was provided in production.
Do not confuse stylization with production value. They each save in their own way and I would bet they have about the same size budget.
Old 2012-04-19, 01:43   Link #299
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
There won't be any traveling. Where AtLA was all amount moving from place to place, Republic City is pretty much the only setting for this show. Besides, it'd make no sense for her to just skip town without learning airbending.
Old 2012-04-19, 03:36   Link #300
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
Do not confuse stylization with production value. They each save in their own way and I would bet they have about the same size budget.
I wouldn't if I were you, because I'm pretty sure you would lose. US Cartoons (yes this includes Avatar and Korra) tend to be better animated compared to anime because they have a higher budget and they have more time to complete episodes: while Korra will have 26 episodes, so far, it will take twice (maybe even thrice) the the time to complete those episodes compared to Fate/Zero 26 episodes.
And that's just the animation aspect I'm pretty sure US voice actors are paid more than their Japanese counterpart etc.

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra