AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 07
10: Amazing... 2 3.85%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 0 0%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 6 11.54%
7 out of 10: Good... 15 28.85%
6 out of 10: Average... 12 23.08%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 10 19.23%
4 out of 10: Poor... 3 5.77%
3 out of 10: Bad... 2 3.85%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 1.92%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-11-21, 12:20   Link #61
Forgetful_Duck
Dame Ningen

becoming a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
This series is just not cutting it for me. The two warring factions are a joke, as is the 2ft tall old man who leads one of them, and the two morons who stand behind him and say the same thing over and over again in unison. What is the point of that? This conflict seems more like a sports rivalry than a war.
Totally agree on this, and some more.

The trio from zalam are torturous to watch. Everything in this anime seems so childish and so... just disgusting... It's ruined the image i have of gundam.

Has anyone started getting a bit annoyed out of that SOUND a UE makes just before it wants to do something badass? Dududududuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! Arghh~ ><

Then there's the new evolved gundam titus... It looks hideous. I wish the UE just killed the entire cast so this series ended and we can have some REAL gundam show.

Funny enough, this weeks gintama episode 235 (also a sunrise anime) features Gundams (Gunsams), alot better than ep7 of age.
Forgetful_Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 14:22   Link #62
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgetful_Duck View Post
Totally agree on this, and some more.

The trio from zalam are torturous to watch. Everything in this anime seems so childish and so... just disgusting... It's ruined the image i have of gundam.

Has anyone started getting a bit annoyed out of that SOUND a UE makes just before it wants to do something badass? Dududududuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! Arghh~ ><

Then there's the new evolved gundam titus... It looks hideous. I wish the UE just killed the entire cast so this series ended and we can have some REAL gundam show.

Funny enough, this weeks gintama episode 235 (also a sunrise anime) features Gundams (Gunsams), alot better than ep7 of age.
Agreed, not to mention the QUALITY in the last episode, the MS battles are not interesting at all, the way they are animated are just .. meh.

but this is a new type of show aimed at pre-teens, maybe the previous generation of fans just shouldn't watch it at all?

If you remove the tag " Gundam " from the show, most people on this forum wouldnt be watching it, and rip the show apart even more, because sofar, this show is not good. the pacing is slow, the animation quality is falling, the story telling isnt good and Diva's crew is nothing but background people with oneliners, Flit is a boring main character, everything about him is about "Gundam", there is nothing more too him
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 16:20   Link #63
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Precisely. It is tradition. Those poor people and outsiders would never get it. These are not the alliances of old but two very rich families that has devolved into gang turf warfare.

If the Federation military on Fardain weren't corrupt these two groups would have been shut up long ago.
Which begs the question what was the Federation planning to do with the Diva and Gundam? I mean they had to have poured a lot of resources into the project and it wasn't just for show either yet they only seem to care about arresting Grodeck.

However I would still put the Genoace on top of what they have since it utilizes beam weaponry even though its just a fancy flashlight

Quote:
As Grodek is trying to convey the Federation military is nothing more now than just ceremonial in nature. It has neither the experience or preserved its traditions.
It must be a lot worse than what we Canadians have to deal with
Spoiler:

Which begs the question what was the Federation planning to do with the Diva and Gundam? I mean they had to have poured a lot of resources into the project and it wasn't just for show either yet they only seem to care about arresting Grodeck.

And if this is going to go over 100 years I'm hoping that the Federation will grow balls or something because I really don't want to see a one sided fight with the Gundam taking care of everything. Yes I know it's a saviour but still.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 16:37   Link #64
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Who said the Gundam was necessarily a fully Federation endorsed project. Supposedly the colonies are independent so it's not impossible for Nora to have done the Gundam research all on it's own. As for the Diva, as far as we know at the moment the so called "high tech" warship might just as well be just as powerful as any other with a different paint job. I don't think other then it being new it was heralded as "superior" or "secret" or anything like that. We have yet to see any special abilities out of it. Arguably the Gundam and AGE system are the most special thing on it.
Old 2011-11-21, 18:04   Link #65
Araxiel

Seeing Don and his yes-men cosplaying as a Gouf with a bunch of Zakus amused me. With that new equipment, Flit could stand to take a few lessons from Chibodee in the art of correctly pulling off a Gundam Falcon Pawnch.
And good god, someone in this colony needs to put a child-proof lock on his door. You know who you are.
Old 2011-11-21, 19:29   Link #66
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

This show would suck if you focus only on the superficial stuffs.

-Plot: slow but developing well. Emily is beginning to understand Flit. UE's identity is slowly being revealed. The Gundam is evolving gradually. A captain daring enough to launch an attack against UE, risking his life. This all spells good for a nice story, it's just the way you look at it.

-Animation: of course the quality will drop. For most of the Gundam series I watch (00, Unicorn, Seed, Zeta, ZZ) the quality tends to slip somewhat later. It's just part and parcel of a trade-off for better story and more meticulous planning on character development.

-Misc: This is not the producer of Gundam we are used to. How can 7 episodes determine the fate of a 50 episode series?
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 19:59   Link #67
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
This show would suck if you focus only on the superficial stuffs.

-Plot: slow but developing well. Emily is beginning to understand Flit. UE's identity is slowly being revealed. The Gundam is evolving gradually. A captain daring enough to launch an attack against UE, risking his life. This all spells good for a nice story, it's just the way you look at it.

-Animation: of course the quality will drop. For most of the Gundam series I watch (00, Unicorn, Seed, Zeta, ZZ) the quality tends to slip somewhat later. It's just part and parcel of a trade-off for better story and more meticulous planning on character development.

-Misc: This is not the producer of Gundam we are used to. How can 7 episodes determine the fate of a 50 episode series?
Plot: Slow pacing, with 7-8 more episodes remaining of Flit (you'd atleast expect more development regarding his character other than GENDUM, GENDUM earlier on to give you a hint)

Animation: yeah, but even the MS fight's choreography is bad, i mean sure quality drops when theres lots of fighting around you, even clipshows somtimes (grinning at you, SEED) but sofar in this series we've only seen Gundam vs 1 UE, or Gundam vs 2 UE, nothing on a decent scale, yet the quality dropped and still is

Misc: How can a 50~ episode anime expect viewers to watch if the show isnt attracting enough viewers with the first 7 episodes?

how can a show be successful if it's not appaeling enough in the beginning?
Old 2011-11-21, 20:14   Link #68
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Plot: Slow pacing, with 7-8 more episodes remaining of Flit (you'd atleast expect more development regarding his character other than GENDUM, GENDUM earlier on to give you a hint)
Do we actually know the official structure of the season?

Quote:
Animation: yeah, but even the MS fight's choreography is bad, i mean sure quality drops when theres lots of fighting around you, even clipshows somtimes (grinning at you, SEED) but sofar in this series we've only seen Gundam vs 1 UE, or Gundam vs 2 UE, nothing on a decent scale, yet the quality dropped and still is
Well, we did have that one scene with Woolf and Flit facing off against a horde of UE and their mothership, but that wasn't exactly high quality animation, either. I can't say it's better than 00, but it's sure alot better than Seed or Seed Destiny.

Quote:
Misc: How can a 50~ episode anime expect viewers to watch if the show isnt attracting enough viewers with the first 7 episodes?

how can a show be successful if it's not appaeling enough in the beginning?
First Gundam bombed when it first aired and was partially canceled, but the toys and movies spawned the franchise a few years later. AGE has to move toys, and that's where things potentially could go wrong. Then again, there's a whole barrage of mobile suits coming over the two remaining generations, so something's bound to catch on.
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 20:15   Link #69
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I somewhat agree with the posters who are disappointed by this series after it reached the 7th episode. I kinda understand their feelings. To be honest, if not for the catchy OP song and 'Gundam' name, I would've dropped this anime right after its 5th episode and wont be seeing it again until I heard some positive news/reception about it.
Old 2011-11-21, 20:25   Link #70
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist_Classic View Post
Do we actually know the official structure of the season?

Well, we did have that one scene with Woolf and Flit facing off against a horde of UE and their mothership, but that wasn't exactly high quality animation, either. I can't say it's better than 00, but it's sure alot better than Seed or Seed Destiny.

First Gundam bombed when it first aired and was partially canceled, but the toys and movies spawned the franchise a few years later. AGE has to move toys, and that's where things potentially could go wrong. Then again, there's a whole barrage of mobile suits coming over the two remaining generations, so something's bound to catch on.
just doing a simple 50/3 to get a 16,6666666 lol, rounded that down to 16 episodes each, some mid-character episode and a ending one i guess. i dont know if its confirmed or not, yeah, SEED/DESTINY suffers from sameface, not going to talk about SEED/DESTINY in this thread though.

the " higher quality animation " you aim for, the easier it is to notice when the animators are slacking off a bit, same with 00, though if i recall the overall animation of 00 was pretty solid.

as i said in a previous post of mine i'm going to give this show until the second season? if that doesn't improve the settings then this will be the first gundam animation i give up :x feelsbadman.jpg
Old 2011-11-21, 20:37   Link #71
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Because kiddy designs.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 20:41   Link #72
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
the " higher quality animation " you aim for, the easier it is to notice when the animators are slacking off a bit, same with 00, though if i recall the overall animation of 00 was pretty solid.
00 had that fancy motion blurring that made the battles look better than they actually were... Animation-wise, there were quite a few fights in that show that were pretty atrocious (like the one in Moralia, I think it was? A bunch of MS's just standing around shooting each other, no different from Ep 6 of this show) But nonetheless, the choreography and effects (visual and audio) in that show was what made everything look and sound so dynamic.

This show however suffers from poor choreography, no doubt about that. Its not that the animation is particularly bad (in fact, Ep 7 has some pretty good mecha animation, basically as smooth as those from any mid-series episode in 00) Its more that the different pieces of animation during the fights seem disjointed, like everything was pieced together. For example, they show the animation of one suit swinging its weapon, and then skip over to the suit getting attacked just falling down without showing the actual contact.

Granted, its much better then Seed Destiny's copy+paste garbage, but still, it makes it feel cheap and boring nonetheless.
Old 2011-11-21, 20:45   Link #73
WhiteWings

I kinda agree on the whole kiddy design thing. Kinda make me think of Digimon, Pokemon, japanese animations of Transformers....

I am more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt and things have been okay so far. Though I wonder considering the typical violence, trauma, and etc associated with all the gundam series, even the relatively lighthearted ones, I have a hard time seeing how things will turn out.

The thing that concerns me most is that the series is going to be spread across three generations. Though I enjoyed GSD the fact that there was too many characters fighting for screentime and storyline and it ended up with the supposedly secondary characters who were the main characters in Gundam SEED pretty much hijacking GSD.

So I am hoping for the best but are pretty pessimistic of the series can pull it off without either thing being too diluted or too much plots, build ups, stories, and characters just left half baked or dropped off a bridge like Gundam 00.

Still, I hope things work out.
Old 2011-11-21, 23:28   Link #74
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
00 had that fancy motion blurring that made the battles look better than they actually were... Animation-wise, there were quite a few fights in that show that were pretty atrocious (like the one in Moralia, I think it was? A bunch of MS's just standing around shooting each other, no different from Ep 6 of this show) But nonetheless, the choreography and effects (visual and audio) in that show was what made everything look and sound so dynamic.
Are you talking about the V Gundam-esque motion blur because that didn't come into effect until the 23rd ep IIRC? But let's not downgrade Gundam 00's animation in this instance..It's really not comparable to AGE this early...That $hit was balanced at times, super-fast paced at times, well choreographed (Even small skirmishes like Graham vs. Lockon and Ali Enact vs. Setsuna in the deserted village)...

Quote:
This show however suffers from poor choreography, no doubt about that. Its not that the animation is particularly bad (in fact, Ep 7 has some pretty good mecha animation, basically as smooth as those from any mid-series episode in 00) Its more that the different pieces of animation during the fights seem disjointed, like everything was pieced together. For example, they show the animation of one suit swinging its weapon, and then skip over to the suit getting attacked just falling down without showing the actual contact.

Granted, its much better then Seed Destiny's copy+paste garbage, but still, it makes it feel cheap and boring nonetheless.
Exactly...Look I can deal with subpar animation if the tradeoff is fluidity...But if you're not gonna give me any touche' battle sequences...I don't know what defense you can bring out if you're in the group that watches the show despite criticisms to see cool Gundam battles...

Like I said, and people wanted to snuff me out, but the battles in this show are what you would find from a Yugioh card fighting another card...Just quick one-off cool things that have no rhythm or flow in-terms of an organic battle...And Yugioh had some damn awesome card summonings, so I don't wanna diss it like that, I'm just saying, kid or no kid show, cool action should be cooler than this...Next ep he's gonna do some pummel-hammers in the Fraky Franky Gundam...Looking forward to that I think^^...

And all bull$hit aside, i think the new Gundam is really funny and really looks like Franky from One Piece, and that's something that's gearing me up to watch, so it's not a straight di$$...
Old 2011-11-22, 03:34   Link #75
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
And dropeed. I can't take it anymore. Between the kiddy look of the show, the dumbed down plot, the boring characters, the annoying kids, the (so far) cliche enemies and the stupid, STUPID adults, this is not a Gundam show. This is a piss poor excuse to get kids into Gundam by making something for the lowest common denominator with as little effort and funds as possible. I don't know what the hell Sunrise was thinking, but I hope to God that this fails hard, financially, so that they never think about doing something this stupid again.

What the HELL?! Gundam evolution my left foot, why not just call it the Deus-Ex Machina Creator. That's what it is. Can't beat an enemy? Don't worry, the Deus-Ex Machina Creator will pull a new weapon out of it's ass for you to use (and us to sell more toys). Also, calling it now: The UE have their own Deus-Ex'Omatic that acts the exact same way.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 04:20   Link #76
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Decent episode, but the battle between the mobile suits was just well nothing happened. Then thankfully the UE came and made things more interesting.

So the whole Flit will only have 14 episodes was true? Cause I also heard that on MAL's forums too.

6/10 for this episode.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 04:42   Link #77
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
but this is a new type of show aimed at pre-teens, maybe the previous generation of fans just shouldn't watch it at all?
Well apparently that's the idea, we have Unicorn and than later the adaption of the First Gundam manga for us, this was meant to bring in the new generation of gundam viewers. The theory is sound, whether the actual execution came about is another story.. and looking @ the age breakdown for the first month of airing.. they got it all wrong.

Quote:
If you remove the tag " Gundam " from the show, most people on this forum wouldnt be watching it
Definitely true, this show sans Gundam and made by Artland for example wouldn't even crack 300 replies by now. As it is having thread counts in the low 100s is far off from the days of Gundam 00 and SEED/Destiny before it. And yes I know the last few Unicorn OVAs have had about the same amount of posts but it seems to be a trend that people hardly watch OVAs/Movies compared to TV series. Look @ the amount of discussion here on these forums for the Black Lagoon OVAs compared to the tv series for one example.

Quote:
-Plot: slow but developing well.
Normally I would agree with this, but you have 3 generations to cover which in essence breaks the show into 3 parts; If they split the time evenly (which may not happen and if any gen gets more time it should be this one considering the pace) than you only have 9 episodes left for this current generation, is the time used thus far the best thing they could've done if that is the case?

Also while I would like to think the could do it.. wouldn't it be nice if the OP/ED changed with the generation changes? Of course it won't since they'll want to sell 2 new cd singles each cour with new OP and EDs...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 07:32   Link #78
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
And dropeed. I can't take it anymore. Between the kiddy look of the show, the dumbed down plot, the boring characters, the annoying kids, the (so far) cliche enemies and the stupid, STUPID adults, this is not a Gundam show. This is a piss poor excuse to get kids into Gundam by making something for the lowest common denominator with as little effort and funds as possible. I don't know what the hell Sunrise was thinking, but I hope to God that this fails hard, financially, so that they never think about doing something this stupid again.

What the HELL?! Gundam evolution my left foot, why not just call it the Deus-Ex Machina Creator. That's what it is. Can't beat an enemy? Don't worry, the Deus-Ex Machina Creator will pull a new weapon out of it's ass for you to use (and us to sell more toys). Also, calling it now: The UE have their own Deus-Ex'Omatic that acts the exact same way.
I feel your pain, believe me. You pretty much summed up my feelings about this show but i'll continue to watch for now tho. Their hasn't been a gundam show i didn't finished even if i ended up not liking it. I really want to see how their going to handle the time skip and the progression afterwards.
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 10:10   Link #79
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
*Pokes head out from bunker* Ummmmm is it safe to step out now *looks around at the carnage and quickly ducks back in*
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 10:16   Link #80
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
I'm kind of on the fence with this. On one hand following the typical writing conventions that's pretty much what it is; for now. On the other hand it kind of seems odd that such a system (not necessarily automated like the AGE system) wouldn't exist. If the enemy comes at you with tanks change your load out to a anti-tank rockets. If the enemy comes at you with infantry you switch to anti-infantry weapons, etc. Again the common sense in it is kind of undermined by the whole "smart system" motif, but it's pretty much the same thing in the end. In some ways it's more realistic then the one-size, beats all design of previous shows.

I think the test to the series will be if they treat the different weapons as task specific, or if they do a cop out where each weapon is just superior to the last in every way. Not that I'm saying that there shouldn't be pure upgrades, just that it be nice if the Gundam gets a set of weapons rather then just upgrades.

Tags
weekly episode discussion