AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 31 57.41%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 24.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 9.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-15, 17:44   Link #61
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
My point is that it's hard to sell the "threat that threatens Japan threateningly", when the authorities feel that sending fewer personnel than there are starters on a basketball team is unnecessary. Whether it's absurd to do so is an issue of lesser importance.
What exactly would sending more people have accomplished? As they even said, the factory is massive, and going by the room were everyone gathered to discuss the riots a couple episodes back, there can't be more than 3-4 divisions. And there's, you know, an entire city to keep peace over. Pulling every divisions, even 1 more would just complicate things, and would be damn near useless as their dominators wouldn't work. Not to mention Kogami running around, who is a convict at this point. Too many things could go wrong and they want Makishima alive, so why not send the people who are already neck deep in all this and muck things up even more by introducing more people into the equation.

Although I must say, anyone else wonder why Makishima doesn't use a gun? You would think it would be easy enough for someone like him to get a handgun, yet he resorts to using a nail gun.
Old 2013-03-15, 17:56   Link #62
cyth
Banned

My immediate thought was that it's probably very very hard to get a hold of guns in Sibyl Japan. It makes sense, even if we're talking Makishima.
Old 2013-03-15, 20:05   Link #63
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I got chills. Akane's become so dependable in such a short time, and it's absolutely fantastic. Can't wait for the conclusion next week, but I'm really sad to see it end.
Old 2013-03-15, 20:32   Link #64
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Don't underestimate the power of a grand pa whose had a life time of ass whooping whipper snappers will get surprised when they find out they pack a wallop!
Old man strength they call it.

Really sad scene seeing Tomomi go. They haven't been giving him much focus recently, but he's my favorite character in the show. I like how he represents the older, 'better' days, but he takes it all in stride. Of course, he's a beast too, with all the focus they put on Kogami's strength, you couldn't really appreciate just how powerful a fighter Tomomi is until now. He owned Makishima with some fatherly rage. Rest in fictional peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I don't really understand where comparisons to the joker are coming from either. That actually seems like a lazy comparison to me because they both deal in chaos but their reasons for that are very different.

I also don't really see Makishima as the complete antithesis to Kougami, the way Joker is to Batman. If anything I think Makishima has a closer connection to Akane (but the series decided not to play that up).
I thought he was a Joker type earlier in the series, but at this point it's pretty clear he's a bit less chaotic. They're both anarchists, but Makishima has a much clearer vision (and obviously a very different personality). There are definitely still some strong similarities, but differences too.
Old 2013-03-15, 21:38   Link #65
Diveman

During the part Ginoza and his dad were talking about stuff, I knew something was gonna happen, I was literally saying in my mind "no gen, don't do it, please gen don't"

but he did. Still the whole symbolism showing that they finally acknowledged eachother as father and son was amazing.

1 more episode left! I feel like Akane is either gonna end up being an Enforcer or Part of the Sybyl system.
Old 2013-03-15, 23:36   Link #66
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I hated this ep...(but still rated it a perfect 10). Masaoka was one of my very favourite characters in this series. It's no surprise he died, since I read the spoilers for this ep. And he got to out-fight Makishima and have a heroic sacrifice to save his son, but still. Not happy about it! I'd prefer Masaoka to survive. It is interesting that he was able to overwhelm Makishima the way he did, because it shows that he was a better fighter than Kougami, whose skills have been very much at the forefront throughout the series.

The decision to have Gino's arm torn off is one I dislike. It's very clear, thematically, but it's just too unsubtle.

Kougami's straightforward attitude towards Makishima is a refreshing one to see. Yep, he just wants him dead, unlike vice versa where Makishima wants entertainment.

Akane has gone through a serious shift here, and it's true that she doesn't quite seem like the same character. But I think it's understandable that she's acting the way she is. She's very focused, everything about Sybil's been revealed and she hates it, she thinks that there is only a faint sliver of hope, and so forth. I'm very pleased that she's getting the chance to analyse the situation and make predictions. She was always cool-headed and logical even earlier in the series, but now things have got tougher, she's really rising to the occasion. Sybil was right, she really was suited for the MSWPB!

I hope she's going to shoot Makishima with the paralyser-Dominator sometime. Hey, he should be happy if she does! Isn't it what he wants, to be part of society and be recognised as someone Sybil should want to shoot? I can imagine a scene where Akane sees a stand-off between Makishima and Kougami, Akane chooses to zap Kougami with the Dominator, Makishima laughs at her and thinks the Dominator pointed at him is useless, and then get shot...

Incidentally, I wonder if what Yayoi said this ep means that she was avoiding working with Akane before? After all, if she was worried that Akane wouldn't have her back in a pinch, she'd hardly be keen to go on a mission with her.
Old 2013-03-16, 01:09   Link #67
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
1) You want to send an entire army just to catch one guy?
2) Those guys are the entire first division.
Your argument defends the situation on a plot point level while my point was how it doesn't work on a storytelling level. If you want to know the difference, my TEPCO jibe was the one that's about the plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
What exactly would sending more people have accomplished? As they even said, the factory is massive, and going by the room were everyone gathered to discuss the riots a couple episodes back, there can't be more than 3-4 divisions.
I don't even care about the plot part, but I'm pretty sure your logic is backwards here.
Old 2013-03-16, 03:51   Link #68
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
The decision to have Gino's arm torn off is one I dislike. It's very clear, thematically, but it's just too unsubtle.
As far as I could tell his arm wasn't even close to torn off. He ripped it out from under the crate and tore it up and dislocated it. Probably broke something too. I was actually really impressed with that scene. Normally he would have just screamed and been trapped, instead of going into an adrenaline-fueled panic and rushing to his dad, and severely damaging himself in the process.

Quote:
Kougami's straightforward attitude towards Makishima is a refreshing one to see. Yep, he just wants him dead, unlike vice versa where Makishima wants entertainment.

Akane has gone through a serious shift here, and it's true that she doesn't quite seem like the same character. But I think it's understandable that she's acting the way she is. She's very focused, everything about Sybil's been revealed and she hates it, she thinks that there is only a faint sliver of hope, and so forth. I'm very pleased that she's getting the chance to analyse the situation and make predictions. She was always cool-headed and logical even earlier in the series, but now things have got tougher, she's really rising to the occasion. Sybil was right, she really was suited for the MSWPB!
It's gotten to the point where things have gone so horribly wrong in every way. On the Makishima front, the MWPSB has had, literally, no successes. The closest they came to victory was Akane clocking him over the head (like a badass, I must add). Even that ended up being pointless, as he managed to elude containment with ease. Honestly, I have doubts about Makishima surviving.
Quote:
I hope she's going to shoot Makishima with the paralyser-Dominator sometime. Hey, he should be happy if she does! Isn't it what he wants, to be part of society and be recognised as someone Sybil should want to shoot? I can imagine a scene where Akane sees a stand-off between Makishima and Kougami, Akane chooses to zap Kougami with the Dominator, Makishima laughs at her and thinks the Dominator pointed at him is useless, and then get shot...
Since he knows about the Sybil System, I doubt he'd be terribly surprised at this point. At least he might be surprised to see Akane being the one to do it. I'm sure he's realized at this point that Sybil has full control over the Dominators.
Quote:
Incidentally, I wonder if what Yayoi said this ep means that she was avoiding working with Akane before? After all, if she was worried that Akane wouldn't have her back in a pinch, she'd hardly be keen to go on a mission with her.
I was actually a bit surprised by this scene. Yayoi has had little to no role throughout this series, with the exception of some back story. The primary reason for that was her lack of involvement with Akane. Now we know why. It wasn't a particularly meaningful scene, but it was still interesting.

On that note, I was getting really irritated with all the: "Woah, Akane is doing shit now," comments from the characters. I feel like it would have been better expressed in expressions, rather than dialogue. In Gino's case with his little flashback montage and his inner realization that Akane has become self-sufficient (and vengeful), it was also somewhat acceptable.

If you look at the story as a whole, having people in addition to Division 1 move to capture Makishima would have been strange. Although the threat to Japan is very real and very possible, it's one that can be solved by a single group who has actually captured Makishima once before. Honestly, the situation was actually worse when Akane managed to arrest him, in terms of opposition. This time it's just Makishima, and they have the whole division (minus one) there to do it. Bringing in more people would mean a greater potential to destabilize the ranks of the MWPSB with classified information, a greater loss of life (it's an anime. Everyone else would just die in the end in one way or another, or not even be allowed to participate), and would honestly be a diminishing return when it only even took two people the first time. Sure, the stakes are higher, but at the same time the threat is technically lesser.
Old 2013-03-16, 04:53   Link #69
garbage

so it's 2 down for the team >.<.while it's almost expected with masaoka going with his son gino, that part was really so sad. Gino wasn't even thinking about his mangled arm anymore, but it seems fitting he will have a prosthetic left arm like masaoka. I guess that mean he has a good chance of surviving this. Now Yayoi also raised a big death flag with that "i'll entrust my life to you" statement to Akane. whew how many of them will die before this is over...
only consolation is Masaoka at least "won" over Makishima in a fight but unfortunately the guy has no scruples.

wonder if there is a reason why Makishima's went after gino/masaoka instead of the control center & or escaping. ASIDE from the predictability/being logical of the later choices. That choice is for the fighter/killers who "leaves no enemy" like guerillas, instead of someone who's just going for the initial goal (the crops)
=====

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Except operating at the speed of thought. Which is pretty damn fast.
actually nerve impulses are fast but not quite the electric charge over circuitry or lightning fast speeds people usually believe, which is just reasonable since brain impulses aka "thinking" is a chemical reaction. I remember a chart from Bio class showing nerve impulse speed <if a Giant stubs a toe ,at the same moment a rocket launches, the rocket would already be at his head before the pain signal even reaches his ankles> ...

secondly multitasking is a myth humans are shown to be incapable of multiple actual conscious actions simultaneously. If this is also true for brains divested from human bodies well who knows :P never been done IRL AFAIK.. well nothing just pointing it out.

Incidentally this also begs the question on how the 200 brains could compute faster than comparable hardware as per Seung's dialogue, PDP notwithstanding. After all their tech seems a lot higher than current IRL tech.
Human brains advantage has always been the unpredictability (see Supercomputer World chess champion matches) and never the speed.

some comparisons:
nerve impulses = .6 m/s-120 m/s
active thinking impulses = 20-30 m/s (72 - 108 km/h)
compared to lightning (itself) = 139,200 km/s = 139,200,000 m/s (normal, slower on higher altitude)
lightning flash, w/c is of course light = 299,000 km/s = 299,000,000 m/s
sound = 340.29 m/s (sea level)
electricity (thru conductor,therefore speed of impulses in you computers ) = speed of light , a bit less

Last edited by garbage; 2013-03-16 at 06:06. Reason: a little reply
Old 2013-03-16, 09:28   Link #70
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Well, we all knew it is coming but I was really sad when Masaoka died. Predictable, but a pretty well done scene thanks to the heartfelt reaction between him and Gino. Poor Gino, the guy has practically lost everything and I doubt his PP will recover from all these sadness and rage.

Akane is getting smarter, but I still don't like that her growth means making other characters stupid. They have been in the game for too long but still need Akane to think out strategy for them? What's up with Gino becoming all stupid and walking right into a trap?

At least we have Kougami VS Makishima to looking forward to. The moment when they both pulled out their small knives was hilariously awesome
Old 2013-03-16, 21:00   Link #71
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Well, I had the Old Guy pegged to die first but Kagami proved me wrong on that front.

Gino's screwed pretty much....ain't no way he's recovering from this. Looks like he's about to join the other side as an Enforcer, assuming he survives.

Holy moly...Akane has officially become one of my favorite girl characters EVER now. Never in a million years I'd figure her to become the badass motherfucker like she's become. You go, girl...YOU GO.

I bet some of the male posters were shipping Yayoi and Akane hard

I am going to hate this show ending next week.....damn. One of the best series I've seen in a long, long time...
Old 2013-03-17, 03:46   Link #72
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

That was brutal....

A real pity that Masaoka didn't throw Makishima on the bomb as a live human shield...
Old 2013-03-17, 09:42   Link #73
merakses

Quote:
My immediate thought was that it's probably very very hard to get a hold of guns in Sibyl Japan. It makes sense, even if we're talking Makishima.
Choe had a very powerful gun-thingy while assaulting Nona Tower. However, it seems that Maki's group only managed to procure one of those.

Quote:
3) Both clearly take pleasure in killing their targets. They're not clinical and "This must be done for the greater cause" about it. They enjoy it.
I kind of disagree here. Up to now, we have only seen Makishima kill four times. In the first two (Yuki & the trio of thugs) his emotion was clearly disappointment. The third time (Touma/Kasei) he was quite happy, but I think that was because he finally managed to deal a direct, humiliating blow to his archenemy. The final time (the agriculture professor), he seemed pleased again, but that could be explained by being happy that his plan was working out so well.

His fights (and obsession) with Kogami are a bit more complicated issue. I think the reason Shogo is so interested in Ko is because Ko represents his ideal - a man who threw away all the shackles of society and decided to follow his own will instead.

Quote:
secondly multitasking is a myth humans are shown to be incapable of multiple actual conscious actions simultaneously. If this is also true for brains divested from human bodies well who knows :P never been done IRL AFAIK.. well nothing just pointing it out.
You can still achieve a functional equivalent of multitasking by rapidly switching between different tasks. I think that's the way experienced RTS players operate, for example.

Quote:
Maki isn't stupid. He already saw Touma/Kasei point a Dominator at him, so he knows that the modes can be force-changed.
Old 2013-03-17, 20:28   Link #74
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Man, it felt like just yesterday the whole team was still together. Now two are dead, one injured, one gone rogue and the remaining two have been split up. Things are definitely going down in this last episode and i'm not just talking about the Makishima vs Akane vs Kogami.

By that, I mean I can't help but keep thinking that somewhere along the way Ginoza is going to get involved, the fact that he was on his way out with the cloudiness of of psycho-pass slowly increasing, the death of his father before his eyes wont help. Whatever he does will no doubt impact what happens greatly (If he does get involved that is)

Shame to see Masaoka go like that He was always one of the favourites along with Kagari. Stop killing of my favourite characters Psycho-Pass!!
Old 2013-03-18, 02:51   Link #75
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
actually nerve impulses are fast but not quite the electric charge over circuitry or lightning fast speeds people usually believe, which is just reasonable since brain impulses aka "thinking" is a chemical reaction. I remember a chart from Bio class showing nerve impulse speed <if a Giant stubs a toe ,at the same moment a rocket launches, the rocket would already be at his head before the pain signal even reaches his ankles> ...
I'm not denying any of this. That is not the point of my argument however.

I'm talking about having a conference between 250-odd people and keep debating an issue until a consensus is reached, at the speed of thought. Which is a lot faster than an ACTUAL conference between 250-odd people who keep debating an issue until a consensus is reached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merakses View Post
Choe had a very powerful gun-thingy while assaulting Nona Tower. However, it seems that Maki's group only managed to procure one of those.
Actually I'm assuming that was an improvised weapon.
Old 2013-03-18, 03:29   Link #76
merakses

Quote:
Actually I'm assuming that was an improvised weapon.
It's possible. Even so, it was much more powerful than an ordinary nailgun (it literally melted Kasei's skin, so it would most likely kill an ordinary person with one shot). The fact that Makishima wasn't using the same weapon implies that either the necessary components are very hard to find, or assembling the weapon requires a lot of technical prowess.
Old 2013-03-18, 05:08   Link #77
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Shogo is more of a Rhas Al Ghul from Batman Begins. He's sort of like Moriarty, too. He's doesn't relish in killing himself. I believe he's only killed one person on screen and it was a quick execution.

He does play with human monsters but he does this as some sort of research and seems to be disgusted and intrigued by the serial killers he facilitated crimes for.

He's not really an anarchist, either. He hints that he wouldn't mind a more conventional government and social system.

He's a social observer, critic, and self appointed judge and executioner of the society... all of it. He doesn't like society or the Sybil system that runs it... so he wants to break it all. He sort of says he's punishing and freeing mankind at the same kind.

He's an anti-nihilist. He wants people to go back... making moral decisions for themselves, producing art, killing each other, being superstitious, etc.
Old 2013-03-18, 07:26   Link #78
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Shogo is more of a Rhas Al Ghul from Batman Begins. He's sort of like Moriarty, too. He's doesn't relish in killing himself. I believe he's only killed one person on screen and it was a quick execution.
He seemed pretty stoked about slicing Kougami up after their fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
He's not really an anarchist, either. He hints that he wouldn't mind a more conventional government and social system.
When did he hint at this?
Old 2013-03-18, 10:05   Link #79
cyth
Banned

He "just longs for a world in which everyday things are done in an everyday way." (episode 15) Since we have no idea where he got the basis for what "everyday things" look like in his world, it's safe to assume this was Urobuchi interjecting his own perception of what an "everyday thing" looks like, from our world, which is not necessarily a world plagued with rules and restrictions, but most definitely not a world in a state of anarchy.

Despite his lunacy, one of Makishima's goals is to expose weaknesses of Sibyl's society. Spreading anarchy is just a tool he's using. I'm not sure whether he wants to prove a point to his opponents or to prove it to himself. Seeing as he's more of a philosophical-type, by extension always willing to question himself, I'm assuming it's the latter.
Old 2013-03-18, 10:48   Link #80
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by merakses View Post
Maki isn't stupid. He already saw Touma/Kasei point a Dominator at him, so he knows that the modes can be force-changed.
It's true that he knows that, but that was with Touma. He doesn't know whether Sybil would be willing to change the mode with Akane holding the Dominator. And, chances are that he still doesn't have a high opinion of Akane or any info on her current behaviour or deals with Sybil, despite her clocking him when they met before; last time he really talked to her she was pointing a Dominator at him even though they both knew it was useless. Granted, he might assume that Sybil could change the mode to hit him and then deal with Akane later, hoping that she wouldn't blab in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
He "just longs for a world in which everyday things are done in an everyday way." (episode 15) Since we have no idea where he got the basis for what "everyday things" look like in his world, it's safe to assume this was Urobuchi interjecting his own perception of what an "everyday thing" looks like, from our world, which is not necessarily a world plagued with rules and restrictions, but most definitely not a world in a state of anarchy.
That seems to be what that part of the ep was implying, and it makes sense, but on the other hand, there was a scene where he talked about how he didn't care what happened after Sybil was destroyed (and I think he was implying that he didn't care if things turned to anarchy, though I haven't checked the relevant ep to make sure). Contradictory stuff.
Closed Thread