AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 67 60.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 22.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 10.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 6.31%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-27, 20:45   Link #41
Orophin

Best episode so far. Not only was this episode funny as hell but the second half had a lot of interesting moments, Ryuuji and Minori's discussion being my favorite scene this episode.

10/10
Old 2008-11-27, 20:54   Link #42
kir44n
#1 Delinquent

I found the episode excellent in development all around for almost all the characters.

How Kitamura quite blatantly blew off Ami's question about the Student Council president pretty much shows how uncomfortable he feels about talking about it.. Ami too had a bit of development (for us viewers) in showing how...attention starved she appears to be. She really seemed pissed at not being able to walk with Ryuuji on the beach.

Minorin though...wow. Her character became far, far deeper with that speech. The conversation with Ryuuji was pretty much completely in metaphor between ghosts/love (though everyone knows that), but they both understood each other perfectly. I wonder if they'll eventually whittle the square down to a triangle between minorin/ryuuji/taiga? I don't exactly think she was "letting ryuuji down easy" like some others on the board think, but I could be wrong.

The Ryuuji/Taiga development was nice as well, though subtler than some of the other episodes ^^. All in all, an enjoyable episodes.
Old 2008-11-27, 21:09   Link #43
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

After seeing this ep, one though especially came to my mind :
What would happen is Kitamura and Minorin end up together?
Old 2008-11-27, 21:21   Link #44
The_Artist
Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
After seeing this ep, one though especially came to my mind :
What would happen is Kitamura and Minorin end up together?
You're right about that. There were a lot of Kitamura + Minorin together parts. Sucks for Taiga I guess.
Old 2008-11-27, 21:32   Link #45
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I really loved this episode. I probably haven't laughed harder since with the whole Ami-in-the-shower moments.

It still however just gives me that feeling though, like. "Does it really need to extend to more episodes?" I do believe that whole speech made by Minori was her form of putting him down easily. I really just don't understand Minori at this point on what's keeping Ryuuji to keep liking her. Especially because while she knows about everything going on around her, she doesn't seem to show much interest because she prefers to be who she acts like.

Taiga/Ryuuji of course was adorable, every second through. It was fun to just watch them react in such a way. When they were working together to set out their little plan, it was so nice. I was hesistant about the dog dream, but it was kind of interesting to see it play out towards the couple's advantage. But when Taiga flat out said: "I feel more comfortable around you." to Ryuuji, I'm not too sure why it needs to extend out so far.

I gave this a 9/10. Despite my ramblings with the pairings, this was still a top-notch episode. Ami, I believe, is the wildcard in this whole gang, so I'm wondering what will happen with her next episode.
Old 2008-11-27, 22:07   Link #46
dijango

Seeing Takasu's face while cleaning, made my day.
Old 2008-11-27, 22:26   Link #47
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
So now that it's been like a couple of episodes, what do you guys think of Coalguys's sub compared to Aeros?

And awesome episode. Good development for all the chars except for Ami.
Old 2008-11-27, 23:04   Link #48
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
What scares me more about the whole 'Yuusaku naked' scene was his reason for actually walking out naked.
I love that scene... hehehehehe
Old 2008-11-27, 23:07   Link #49
Caster13
=^_^=

The shared dream foreshadows the future not just to us viewers, but to Taiga and Ryuuji as well. Nothing could better define Taiga and Ryuuji as independent characters then their negative reaction to the dream--where as us viewers (or at last, us Taiga-Ryuuji pairing fans) couldn't stop laughing gleefully at it. The creators are doing an excellent job of letting the show and characters develop naturally at their own pace instead of simply giving in to the pressure of giving us fans the service we want.

If there's a single word that I would use to describe this episode, it's bittersweet. Both Ryuuji and Taiga get so close--closer than they've ever been--to the ones they have a crush on, and yet they couldn't be any farther. Yet, at the same time, Ryuuji and Taiga become even closer and closer. Unfortunately, Ryuuji's too dense to realize it while Aisaka is too hesitant--out of fear? uncertainty? indecisive?--to appreciate and act upon it, to show Ryuuji what she has caught a glimpse of.

We see a lot of Minori that we've never seen before this episode. But it's not because she's two-faced or has a split personality. She truly does enjoy life to the fullest, which explains her eccentric behaviour. But she hasn't a love life to enjoy and so she can't approach the topic light--she struggles to talk about it because she has nothing good to say about it, nothing to act all happy and weird about.

I feel the worst for Ami, however. She continues to be interesting this episode and I think I'm starting to understand her more. She loves to tease and toy. She does so to get close to other people, to interact with them on a level deeper than simply look-at-me-I'm-cute-and-bubbly. By showing them what she truly enjoys and takes pleasure in, she opens herself up to others. I couldn't help but think that she really wanted Ryuuji to "take advantage" of the situation in the bathroom. I can't help but emphasize for her seeing as to how she's the fifth wheel.

The end of the episode was rather poignant, I think. Taiga's and Ryuuji's last lines hint that what dreams foretell is ultimately inevitable.

Anyhow. Some other random moments I just have to comment on:

Ami smacking the beach ball so hard that it hits Yuusaku in the face, knocking him flat was a funny surprise. This show has been doing an excellent job of using classical cartoon sound effects for comedic effect. It makes one feel nostalgic for the likes of Bugs Bunny.

I love how Taiga uses flies as an excuse for slapping people in the face.

Ryuuji pantomiming the bathroom incident was brilliantly hilarious.

Poor Ya-chan. I have the slightest of fears that when Ryuuji and Taiga come back, they're going to find her starved to death in the darkness of the Takasu apartment.

And I absolutely love Ami's voice actor. She's able to pull off the most amazing, wonderful teasing voice where she lightly drags out the end of certain words in an adorably alluring tone. In this episode it's her "Hey. I have a stomach ache, too... Just kidding" line. And back in episode eight: "Hey-ee, Hona sainoraaa."
Old 2008-11-27, 23:10   Link #50
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

I lol'd hard what they did in the train station.
And talking about Minori. I'm starting to like her. Her emotions are finally revealed.
And finally, think that, if you breed a Tiger and a Dog, you still get puppies. Lol.
Old 2008-11-27, 23:15   Link #51
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kir44n View Post
I found the episode excellent in development all around for almost all the characters.

How Kitamura quite blatantly blew off Ami's question about the Student Council president pretty much shows how uncomfortable he feels about talking about it.. Ami too had a bit of development (for us viewers) in showing how...attention starved she appears to be. She really seemed pissed at not being able to walk with Ryuuji on the beach.

Minorin though...wow. Her character became far, far deeper with that speech. The conversation with Ryuuji was pretty much completely in metaphor between ghosts/love (though everyone knows that), but they both understood each other perfectly. I wonder if they'll eventually whittle the square down to a triangle between minorin/ryuuji/taiga? I don't exactly think she was "letting ryuuji down easy" like some others on the board think, but I could be wrong.

The Ryuuji/Taiga development was nice as well, though subtler than some of the other episodes ^^. All in all, an enjoyable episodes.
I noticed that expression on Ami's face too, it seems she really wanted to have some time with Ryuuji. I feel like Ami is genuinely falling for Ryuuji, if not not secretly. Lets face it, she maybe "two-side", but she knows when a good thing is at her door step.

Its getting better and better with this anime. Its been a while for me to really enjoy a Character-Driven anime, with so many character development in a short time is very pleasing, and you gotta love in love with Toradora!

Someone mention that Ami could be the wildcard, I don't think so. I have this feeling that Yuusaku Kitamura and Ami Kawashima are somehow involved on getting Taiga and Ryuuji together. Reason is this:

1. Since they are childhood friends. Obviously they can see that Taiga and Ryuuji has a different relationship then the average friendship.
2. In this episode, it seems that Ami tried her best to tease Ryuuji. But somehow it seems she knows that she will not succeed.

Well its just a theory at the moment

Last edited by KeitaroNagato; 2008-11-27 at 23:35.
Old 2008-11-27, 23:38   Link #52
Cloudkiller1
Spina~

I'm very impressed with this episode so far, I never usually give out 10/10, and not even Clannad got 10/10 from me yet but this one had it in the bag. The overall humor was great, especially Kitamura, he may well be a narcissist.

What really got me was the scene between Minori and Ryuuji. I knew beforehand that Minori is not what she acts and a much more complicated and deep person than she is being shown. Originally I was a RyuujixTaiga person at the beginning of the show but now I'm slowly shifting towards RyuujixMinori.. oh boy the development is getting good. Well, I posted longer than I normally do.. must have been one badass of a episode to get me talking alot.
Old 2008-11-28, 00:12   Link #53
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

That... was awesome. This show is even eclipsing Haruhi for me.

That is all.
Old 2008-11-28, 00:53   Link #54
crystalalien87
Louise Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Excellent episode, if even Darknemo likes it, then it has to be very good.
I lol when i read that cuz its so true... i really like the Ryuuji X Taiga moment and kitamura scene was really funny... its an shame i know what happens in the relationship aspect of this show... Thanks to Darknemo but maybe i should pick up this novel also....
On a side note where have u been Darknemo havent talked to you in awhile
Old 2008-11-28, 00:54   Link #55
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I'm just loving the show, its awesome!

the train station shenanigans was just brilliant, should try it out some time

this time I have to remember to vote, usually I forget to vote but this ep I'm def putting my vote in

10/10!!!
Old 2008-11-28, 01:03   Link #56
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
So now that it's been like a couple of episodes, what do you guys think of Coalguys's sub compared to Aeros?

And awesome episode. Good development for all the chars except for Ami.
Its pretty good, I still need to compare it to Aeros with this episode, but so far they are both awesome ^^
I think Ami has some character development here, because she is more herself as herself then "Ami-chan"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudkiller1 View Post
I'm very impressed with this episode so far, I never usually give out 10/10, and not even Clannad got 10/10 from me yet but this one had it in the bag. The overall humor was great, especially Kitamura, he may well be a narcissist.

What really got me was the scene between Minori and Ryuuji. I knew beforehand that Minori is not what she acts and a much more complicated and deep person than she is being shown. Originally I was a RyuujixTaiga person at the beginning of the show but now I'm slowly shifting towards RyuujixMinori.. oh boy the development is getting good. Well, I posted longer than I normally do.. must have been one badass of a episode to get me talking alot.
Somehow Minorin knew what Ryuuji was suggesting though. But, the metaphoric themes is what was imply that the "ghost" was actually Taiga and Ryuuji. In sense, Ami-Mirorin-Kitamura see that "ghost" within Taiga and Ryuuji. Yet, Taiga and Ryuuji doesnt see that "ghost", but somehow they sense between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
That... was awesome. This show is even eclipsing Haruhi for me.

That is all.
I was always a Haruhi devotee, suddenly this show has driving me of from it....

Last edited by KeitaroNagato; 2008-11-28 at 01:06. Reason: GHOST = TRUE LOVE
Old 2008-11-28, 02:54   Link #57
Bordix

Awesome episode. LMAO best episode I've seen so far and toradora > haruhi
Old 2008-11-28, 06:52   Link #58
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeitaroNagato View Post
When a couple reach a stage that they are truly comfortable, and they are themselves without any worries and criticism, they act/behave/react more intimate then the average boy/girlfriend relationship. In his episode, Ryuuji and Taiga are behaving more then a boy/girlfriend relation, its more deeper, the way married couples behaves. Its funny though, because it seems they are not aware of it.
Wow, married couple? I see siblings act that way with the same familiarity if you exclude the obvious inner dilemma Taiga has. Feet on someone's back or head isn't that intimate if the context is two nonromantic equals are winding down from a stressful day.

From Taiga's POV, maybe. For Ryuuji, no.

Both entered a sort of non-romantic association with each other, and the expectation is known they are not considering each other. Initially.

So it can be easy to act a bit uncouth or relaxed and without tension in the presence of someone trustworthy but with no worries of any commitments.

For Ryuuji this is the case. Taiga however is unsure of herself and is now aware that a relationship with Ryuuji isn't a negative idea at the least.

Are they at the married couple level? No. Definately not.
Old 2008-11-28, 07:05   Link #59
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Toradora fever after watching episode 9!

Somehow I like Minori some more after watching episode 9.
I think there's a deeper part to her personality while she's staring at the sky while they were eating ice cream.

Perhaps she already know that Takasu likes her? And by telling him that maybe one day she will see a ghost, she actually means that it is the day that she would also fall in love with Takasu?

Can't wait for the next episode. >_<

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2008-11-28 at 07:20.
Old 2008-11-28, 07:17   Link #60
Voitan

What maybe holding her back is her friendship to Taiga. Thus despite knowing Ryuuji is a swell guy, she is sacrificing herself to get Taiga and Ryuuji together.

Or she has fear of commitments.
Closed Thread