AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 22 16.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 16.54%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 33 24.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 29 21.80%
6 out of 10 : Average 16 12.03%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 5.26%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.75%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.75%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-12, 04:25   Link #61
MarthX

The chapters this episode covered weren't especially long.

If anything, this episode was rather slow paced.

I think a certain flash back in this episode is confusing people. It didn't rush through that. It happens later. Next chapter actually.
Old 2009-11-12, 04:31   Link #62
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post
I think a certain flash back in this episode is confusing people. It didn't rush through that. It happens later. Next chapter actually.
Hopefully not, I think the flashback was enough to make the point go through.
Old 2009-11-12, 04:33   Link #63
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well got some more background with Ange. Suppose I expected things to turn out like Lambda said so nowhere near the shock level Ange had. Obviously they are just going to pop back into existence where she left. It shouldn't change what she's going to do though it is a shot to her motivations. It's one thing to fight and then spend time with those you love again. It's another to save them, but you won't see them again. Still it's better than her brother being stuck in this forever and her family getting killed on the board for eternity. Sadly at this point there doesn't seem to be a complete victory. But best to take what you can get.

Still can't believe that Bernkastel didn't see this coming. Don't think she would have brought Ange into it without believing she'd still go for victory. At any rate Ange was ready to kill herself so even a temporary meeting is worth it.
Old 2009-11-12, 04:34   Link #64
MarthX

Hell no. That's one of the best scenes of the first half.
Old 2009-11-12, 04:36   Link #65
luckyssol

Quote:
Not at all. This episode only covered 3 chapters.

19 covered 4 plus the prologue.
"Ange's Recollection", "Mariage Sorciere", "Lure Towards Illusions", and "My World"

I count 4.
Old 2009-11-12, 04:39   Link #66
MarthX

My World hasn't started yet.

Unless you count that flash back as one but then it doesn't go with the order of events.
Old 2009-11-12, 04:42   Link #67
luckyssol

When the preview comes out we'll probably have an idea.

Based on what they've cut so far I don't see why they wouldn't cut the whole chapter. Though I would like to see it animated.
Old 2009-11-12, 04:44   Link #68
YdoUask

I thought they could have shown Ange's strain after summoning the stakes, rather than just a sigh after.

Thought Lambda's scene was a little more "Oh, serious business time" this made it seem, like "Oh, well look's like Ange is in trouble now."

Hope they do a full version of the scene they had the flash back to, what with the Ange killing a stake, in the next one, if they don't then I'll be disappointed.

7/10 Exposition chapter is exposition, but could have made the above scenes better.

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
BTW the italian handwriting is definitely the same of Beatrice's signature. However the part in japanese seems different, it looks like the same as the one who is signing with "Waru..."
I wonder if we can't compare handwriting against those in episode 18...
Old 2009-11-12, 04:47   Link #69
Luxa

This episode was full of Maria who irritates me and lots of flashbacks with Ange, which could be useful later but were kind of disjointed. I haven't read the VNs, so Lambdadelta scene at the end was ok for me, but it is true that Ange is not the overreacting type...

Still I was bored during this one, worst episode so far for me.
Old 2009-11-12, 04:49   Link #70
MarthX

The early parts of EP4 bored the majority of VN readers too.

Most were like enough of this Ange and Maria crap already. I want to see Kinzo being badass and Beatrice trolling Battler.
Old 2009-11-12, 05:09   Link #71
Neofio3

Lambda's scene could have been done so much better, without any change in length. I usually give Deen some slack, but that was inexcusable.

The first part was good though.
Old 2009-11-12, 05:55   Link #72
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Dayum GG's working fast these days. Episode 20 subs are out.
Old 2009-11-12, 05:55   Link #73
Skreecher

bahaha... I guess i was one of the few that was really into the ange and maria plot. I know I was extremely pissed when after getting so into it,
Spoiler for Ange plot:

To be really honest, I don't mind how they make light of lambdadelta's character, I think they can give her more effectiveness in the later half of the chapter.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-11-12 at 10:29. Reason: don't hint that at all, it is borderline spoiler.
Old 2009-11-12, 06:32   Link #74
Defade
寂しがりのひねくれ者

Not so good episode for me. I was pretty meh about Ange herself, and 95% of the episode focusing on her didn't help much. More interested in what's happening on the game board.

Still...are we supposed to be shocked at Lamda's statement? I kind of assumed it to be that way in the beginning even before I spoiled myself...and didn't Bern say something along the lines of "It's not set in stone that he'll come back" few episodes ago?
Old 2009-11-12, 06:48   Link #75
Kite22
Wielder of the Bracelet

Send a message via AIM to Kite22
Quote:
The early parts of EP4 bored the majority of VN readers too.

Most were like enough of this Ange and Maria crap already. I want to see Kinzo being badass and Beatrice trolling Battler.
Hahaha

No, actually a lot of people liked the early parts of Episode 4. If you were reading just for the trolls then you were clearly reading the wrong series. I liked how character driven the beginning was, it gave a great and much needed look into some characters and helps to develop others in a big way as well.
Old 2009-11-12, 06:51   Link #76
MarthX

Some people liked it, but the majority didn't. At least not when they were reading it for the first time. It's easy to look back and appreciate it now but the first time is always a different story. It's like how most people didn't like EP1's long beginning at first either. Characterization is fine. The problem with EP4's first half is how much it drags. There's a lot of redundancy that causes the story to drag.
Old 2009-11-12, 07:40   Link #77
Kakkou
Tch.

I liked them a lot too, but like MarthX said, they dragged and dragged which is what tried my patience making me wish the POV shifted back to Rokkenjima.
Old 2009-11-12, 07:42   Link #78
Workworkwork

Quote:
Some people liked it, but the majority didn't. At least not when they were reading it for the first time. It's easy to look back and appreciate it now but the first time is always a different story. It's like how most people didn't like EP1's long beginning at first either. Characterization is fine. The problem with EP4's first half is how much it drags. There's a lot of redundancy that causes the story to drag.
Just because you didn't like it the first time, does not make you a spokesperson for everyone else.

I hope I don't get a thinly-veiled sarcastic remark about me not counting.
Old 2009-11-12, 07:49   Link #79
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Still can't believe that Bernkastel didn't see this coming. Don't think she would have brought Ange into it without believing she'd still go for victory. At any rate Ange was ready to kill herself so even a temporary meeting is worth it.
Don't look at it so much as she didn't see it coming as much as she didn't really care about the fate of Ange from 1998. Remember back to the end of episode 5 and the first arc, where she tells (Battler/audience, whichever you interpret it as) that she's going to help him/us, but she's not doing it to be nice - she's doing it because she wants Beatrice to lose. As far as she sees it, Ange will be a useful piece for fighting the witch, and that's all that matters, so she could care less whether or not 1998 Ange gets her brother back. Also, when Ange asked 'will I be able to get my family back?' she specifically said she couldn't promise anything, so it's strongly implied at this point that Bern has her own agenda.

I do agree, though, that before Bernkastel appeared to her, Ange was just about to kill herself. She already knew she'd lost everything important to her, so even if she was given a false ray of hope in thinking that might change, she's at least been presented with a chance to save her brother's fate (then again I think Battler is just as screwed as Ange; everyone from his world died in EP1, and when it's all over, he's not going to get them back any more than Ange would) and get revenge on whoever is responsible for killing her family. Her new purpose is to find out what happened on Rokkenjima before she dies, so she can rest in piece, and I think we can count on Ange to stay strong in that motivation rather than give into Lambda's words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthx
I know it's supposed to happen later, but the fact that they stuck the flashback in there leads me to believe they'll skip over mentioning the scene in full. It would complicate things later on somewhat if they didn't show it in more detail, but if they planned on showing it next week, why stick that little flash in there at all? To me it doesn't seem likely that they'll animate the scene in full next week, which would be a real shame since it's one of my favorites from the draggy EP4 opening.
Old 2009-11-12, 07:53   Link #80
Leinne
Who... am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workworkwork View Post
Just because you didn't like it the first time, does not make you a spokesperson for everyone else.

I hope I don't get a thinly-veiled sarcastic remark about me not counting.
That's why he's saying 'most people', that doesn't include everybody after all. Just ask in a bigger community if they liked their 1st time through ep4, most people say boring and too much ANGST. It's a common, but not the only opinion, shared by a high number of readings. I only liked it the 2nd time, for example, many people still don't like it
Closed Thread