AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-12-13, 06:16   Link #1
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Kaguya-hime no Monogatari (New Isao Takahata film)

http://www.kaguyahime-monogatari.jp/

Kaguya-hime no Monogatari (The Story of Princess Kaguya)
Original Work: The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter
Concept/Script/Director: Isao Takahata
Script: Sakaguchi Riko
Music: Shinichiro Ikebe
Animation Production: Studio Ghibli

The long awaited new film by Takahata will finally be released in Japan in Summer 2013. This is Ghibli's version of the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, a famous Japanese folk tale. It has been in production for a few years, and Takahata has been talking about directing it for an even longer time. This is also Takahata's first new film in 14 years.

duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 07:12   Link #2
Warm Mist

Consider me hyped. Takahata is the best director at Ghibli for me, and seeing him do a new project is wonderful. I'm confident this movie will be great, if it has this much time and thought invested into it.

Don't know much about the folktale, but seems interesting enough. Eager to see Ghibli and Takahata's vision of it.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 06:35   Link #3
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Don't know the director or his work but it's Taketori Monogatari...that's always a draw for me.
Old 2012-12-15, 05:51   Link #4
dresden

Oh cool, I love One Piece.
dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 14:31   Link #5
Nikkan

Looking forward to seeing more about this, tale of the bamboo cutter is one of my favorites (still crossing my fingers for the continuation of Howl's Castle to be animated one day though).

Let's hope for such endearing Kaguya design as in Okami, yes?
Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 18:07   Link #6
Warm Mist

Teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M6tfi0aAV8

It's beautiful.
Old 2013-07-10, 19:02   Link #7
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
WOW ! o_o
Dat animation.
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 19:41   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This is a good summer to be a Ghibli fan...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 19:59   Link #9
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Takahata movie. Hell yea. Always been much more of a fan of him then miyazaki so I'm looking forward to this.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 20:14   Link #10
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Must watch Ghibli movie!!!!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 13:53   Link #11
Warm Mist

It's due time this thread got bumped.
New trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7gkBz9Lwpg

And well, since it's not in the thread, the film opens in Japan the 23rd of November.
Old 2013-10-26, 23:05   Link #12
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Been waiting for this one for a looooong time now. ^^
Old 2013-10-27, 22:01   Link #13
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Looks interesting i would like to check this out I was afraid that uncut animation was the style and it had me worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkan View Post
(still crossing my fingers for the continuation of Howl's Castle to be animated one day though).
I would rather they not, they did not do the the first book justice at all. Also, the other books don't have Sophie and Howl as main characters so they aren't really too much of a sequel. They would be better off doing some of the Crestomanci ones, but i don't want they to ruin another book.

Last edited by Leo_Otaku; 2013-10-27 at 22:12.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 03:41   Link #14
Warm Mist

Why does nobody care about the good anime ;_;

Three-minute trailer. Looking as great as ever, with that delicious Takahata realism applied to this aesthetic.
Old 2013-11-10, 10:41   Link #15
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post

Three-minute trailer. Looking as great as ever, with that delicious Takahata realism applied to this aesthetic.
It's not that I don't care, it's that right about everything I see from this film leaves me speechless (in a great way)
Old 2013-11-10, 13:06   Link #16
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

It's something that prob only an animation fan will love. "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter" is not exactly a "happy", "fun" or "action" title.
Old 2013-12-03, 10:08   Link #17
c933103
FTNR

In Japan market the film's reception aren't quite good...would it fight back in oversea market?
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 05:13   Link #18
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
In Japan market the film's reception aren't quite good...would it fight back in oversea market?
It isn't? I admittedly haven't managed to really check what people are saying about it myself due to being utterly useless at reading kanji, but I basically went and saw this movie on the premiere day because... I had nothing better to do that day... and I was surprised by just how much I ended up liking the movie. Now, calling it my favorite non-Miyazaki film from Studio Ghibli would be damning it with faint praise as it is the only one I've seen which he had no involvment in, but I can say that I thought it was a movie that worked on pretty much every level (Well, I didn't much care for the first 10-15 minutes or so, but then again this is an extremely Japanese movie, and Japan apparently does not share Hollywood's opinion that the first scene of a movie needs to instantly grab the audience's attention), and it's probably my fourth favorite Ghibli movie overall. (For the record, the top 3 for me would be Porco Rosso, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.)

So if it's true that this movie is getting a lukewarm reception in general, then this fact kinda saddens me.
Old 2013-12-06, 12:48   Link #19
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
It isn't? I admittedly haven't managed to really check what people are saying about it myself due to being utterly useless at reading kanji, but I basically went and saw this movie on the premiere day because... I had nothing better to do that day... and I was surprised by just how much I ended up liking the movie. Now, calling it my favorite non-Miyazaki film from Studio Ghibli would be damning it with faint praise as it is the only one I've seen which he had no involvment in, but I can say that I thought it was a movie that worked on pretty much every level (Well, I didn't much care for the first 10-15 minutes or so, but then again this is an extremely Japanese movie, and Japan apparently does not share Hollywood's opinion that the first scene of a movie needs to instantly grab the audience's attention), and it's probably my fourth favorite Ghibli movie overall. (For the record, the top 3 for me would be Porco Rosso, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.)

So if it's true that this movie is getting a lukewarm reception in general, then this fact kinda saddens me.
In fact I just discovered I'd used a wrong word...what I meant was boxoffice...
Reception-wise, just randomly checking a site, it is above average although not exceptionally high..http://eiga.com/movie/ranking/review/monthly/
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 19:21   Link #20
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:

Don't know much about the folktale, but seems interesting enough. Eager to see Ghibli and Takahata's vision of it.
Long story short. An old man Bamboo Cutter finds a baby in bamboo with some gold. He and his wife raises her as their own daughter. He beauty and yellow hair attracts lots of guys and is asked for her hand in marriage. She sends these guys to wild goose chases as condition. She does not want to be married. Even the emperor of Japan falls for her.

It turns out...
Spoiler:
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghibli, takahata