AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-03-05, 17:54   Link #1
kco143

Mature/sophisticated action anime with character development

Hello everyone,

After completing Psycho-Pass I've began craving more anime similar to it. While I know its next to impossible to find a close match to any given anime out there, I still think its possible to find some that can relate with certain themes an elements.

What I liked about Psycho-Pass:

- Mature, interesting, and flawed characters. I also liked that the characters were all adults. I don't mind younger characters at all, but I think its easier to relate to older ones.

- The character development and the relationships between characters. I really liked that we got to see these characters grow and change. I liked the respect that the main characters had for each other. It was obvious that they cared about each other without having to say it.

- The action and the story. I'm a big fan of action, thrillers, and adventure. The story was superb.

As I write this I'm beginning to realize that Psycho-Pass is probably one of those rare gems. But I'd still like to hear any suggestions if anyone has any!

Thanks! =)

Examples of anime I loved that are similar to Psycho-Pass:

- Death Note
- Darker Than Black
- FMA: Brotherhood
- Fate/Zero
- Steins; Gate
- Serei no Moribito <3
Old 2014-03-05, 18:20   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well I highly recommend Ghost in a Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Being from the same studio, Psycho-Pass definitely comes from the same mold as Ghost in a Shell: SAC and it has a similar "investigation/detective" plotline. It also has a Post Cyberpunk setting as well and it's definitely the anime I consider the most similar to Psycho-Pass (from what I've seen). And it satisfies all three of your criteria.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-05, 18:35   Link #3
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Kokoro Connect. It's heavy on character development and puts an original spin to a number of tropes that's common in anime. The nature of the villain is also somewhat unique, though your mileage may vary on it.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-05, 19:51   Link #4
kco143

@ Haak - Thanks for the rec. I've heard great things about this anime but for some reason have never gotten around to viewing it yet. The story and characters sound complex and interesting so I'll give it a try. Thanks!

@ frivolity - I've never heard of this anime but it looks intriguing. The whole 'body switching' aspect should make for an interesting story. Thank you!
Old 2014-03-05, 20:02   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Space Battleship Yamato comes to mind.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
is a bit more tongue in cheek, but still has most of what you want.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 00:02   Link #6
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
I think Black Lagoon and Jormungand have everything you're asking for. Action, mature and flawed casts, strong focus on character interactions.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 04:53   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Jormungand is a good choice, I agree. And if you can get past the fact that most of the cast are children and teenagers for about 2/3 of the story, Shin Sekai Yori checks off a lot of your boxes and is a spectacularly good series to boot.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 09:00   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I am constitutionally required to add Monster and Junni Kokki ("Twelve Kingdoms") to this list. The amount of action in each varies considerably with many contemplative episodes, but then that is also true for Moribito. You must agree to watch at least six episodes of Junni Kokki before deciding whether to continue it.

Other possible choices

Baccano! - Takes an episode or two to get up to speed.
Claymore - The weak anime-only ending is a flaw, but otherwise it fits the bill.
Kurenai - Lots of characterization and fighting.

I'll add three more shows that are slightly less pertinent but still worth consideration. In Dennou Coil the "action" all takes place in virtual reality much like in my second suggestion, the movie Summer Wars. My third recommendation is Ghost Hound, also by the creator of Ghost in the Shell, Shirow Masamune.

I found Black Lagoon fairly uneven. I would recommend watching the opening arc when Rock first appears, then the last arc of the first season about Mr. Chang, and the first ("Hansel and Gretl") and last ("Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise") arcs of the second season. Those were the high points for me; the stories about the Nazis and about Greenback Jane were probably the weakest. Lots of people love the Roberta story, but I found the gunfights too implausible to take seriously.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 16:27   Link #9
kitten320

Baccano! - a very unique show with entertaining characters and cool action. Quiet a few adult characters.

Berserk - adult characters, gory, great story and tec.

Claymore - adults, developed relationship between characters, action and etc.

Ga-Rei Zero - young characters, strong relationship between the two, cool and gory action.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica - young characters but story is much darker than it appears at first. Has some similarities with Stein;Gate.

Monster - detective series with adult cast.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - mixed age, serious themes, nice action, well developed characters.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - strong series with interesting and nicely developed cast.

Shinsekai yori - series follow the cast from kids age till adultery. A bit confusing at first but has strong idea and message with some nice action shots later on.

Zetsuen no Tempest - good series that I believe are worth a try.
Old 2014-03-06, 16:32   Link #10
DrSmith

You could check out Noir.
It has character development, action and is a mature thriller.
DrSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-08, 17:04   Link #11
Tenzen12

Area 88 and Argento Soma - older stuff, but still good.
Blue Submarine n.6
Cannan - Aside of it being good it also has lot of common staff with Fate/Zero
Darker than Black (obviously)
Helsink
Kino no Tabi
Library War
Macros Plus/Zero - most mature parts of bigger franchise
Madlax
Mardock Scramble- if you liked PsychoPass I think you will like this too.
Planetes - it's not action less, but there are more important stuff most time. (still recommended
Ray the Animation
Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen (Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal)
Senko no Night Raid
Towa no Quon - It's like japanese X-men of sort
Un-go - cyber punk mystery, there is some action here and there too.
Wolfs Rain
Zetman - manga was, not sure how anime handled it though
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-08, 20:28   Link #12
kco143

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate the suggestions. My Anime List is now at 69 "plan to watch!"

I started Zetsuen no Tempest and 4 episodes in I'm really loving it. The characters all have depth and are interesting. I especially love the Hamlet quotes and how they choreographed the actions scenes to classical music. Never seen an anime quite like this one before.

I'm thinking of trying out Baccano or Berserk next.