AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2012-01-06, 14:06   Link #1621
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
In the battle of aces, he's the butt monkey (curb stomped by Vita and Nanoha in 1 page)
Old 2012-01-06, 14:07   Link #1622
Amaterasu1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Is Zafira's style something like: Yagami style fighting arts or something?
Muira's style is listed as Yagami family style Strike Arts.

Zafira is her primary teacher of course and the others are sparring partners and magic teachers.
Amaterasu1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 14:17   Link #1623
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laith View Post
Notes: This is usually how I use Yuuno. Also better use of the counter and such.
I saw you snag SOMETHING with Chain Anchor and zip along like a hookshot, but it wasn't Kyrie. Did you snag an invisible wall, or were you just able to move despite having missed?

Also, Yuuno showed a different pre-fight animation this time. I wonder why? Is it random?

Quote:
Again if anyone wants any character vs any character just post it (the first one is the one I'll be using) and I'll record it.
Yuuno versus Vita?
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 14:42   Link #1624
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayate22 View Post
Even though that itself is true, however in this series, it is the primary style for Subaru, Nove, and Vivio.
Subaru, Ginga and Nove practice Shooting Arts, which make use of their rollerblades. I think it's supposed to be a derived style from Strike Arts, though.

Quote:
Yuuno IS NOT a user of Strike Arts
If Strike Arts is defined as "actually hitting someone with your fist", then no, he probably isn't. All of his attacks involve spells, and he never makes direct contact, so there's no muscle power factored in at all.

It's also very possible that his style is mostly personal, rather than learned as a formal school of combat. It is, after all, an A-Rank Aerial Combat Style independent of a Device. There are very few mages in the setting who fight like that.

Quote:
2. Yuuno is a traditional Midchilda mage that specializes in binds, heals, defense, and support magics. The opposite of Strike Arts, which is a offensive style.
Rather, the focus is on "spells" rather than "magical/physical attacks".

A lot of Belkan techniques are classified as Melee (ie: weapon) or Magically-Enhanced Attacks.

Yuuno doesn't lack for offensive spells in CQC, but like I said, each one is purely a spell. Two different Fields, chain binds used as flails, barriers used as battering rams, and a standard attack that's either an unusual Magical-Enhanced Attack or a VERY unusual Shooting spell.

Look at all of the Midchildan-style mages we know: Chrono, Nanoha, Fate, Teana, Caro, and Corona. All of them favor abilities that let them fight primarily at long range. Fate's a little different in having a Device suitable for close combat as well as long-range, but she only knows one spell specifically intended for close-combat: Scythe/Hakken Slash.

Even Chrono has only one known spell for close-combat (Break Impulse), and he otherwise uses his Device with staff-fighting techniques. (Bojutsu is likely a popular style among Midchildan because of the popularity of staff Devices.)

Heck, even Arf, who uses what is likely self-taught Strike Arts... well, uses Strike Arts rather than spellwork when engaging at close range.

Comparatively, Yuuno is down right WEIRD given the number of spells he uses specifically for close quarters combat or in order to GET into close quarters.

A traditional Midchildan combatant who put this much work into combat skills and spellwork would have advanced farther than Shoot Barret, which is the most basic shooting spell in the system. (Though Yuuno IS using a "guided-shot" variant.) Vivio is able to launch a number of Sonic Shots with her Assault Shift, but Yuuno can only lob two in one go.

In fact, if Shoot Barret is the most basic, then even Arf has a better shooting spell than Yuuno, since she has Photon Lancer. And she canonically knows Photon Lancer Multi-Shot, too.
Old 2012-01-06, 15:05   Link #1625
Hayate22
TSAB Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Hayate22 Send a message via MSN to Hayate22
To anyone continuing the various arguments about the characters and how they are:
This is obviously going to get no one anywhere. Parties will claim what is right and what is wrong based on their own individual interpretation of how things go. Thus the ongoing arguments on this thread, when we should focus on the game itself and the various aspects like translating this game.

However I have stated this before. That ALL FACTS will only be revealed if the creators and writers of this series reveal such information to be as true or false. They are the ones who created the series as a whole, and they alone will know ALL the lore that is true with this series. So I'm not gonna continue this as this is going to be meaningless heated debate where we will use facts or translations to back up our individual perspective points.

-----------------------------

Moving back on topic in this thread:

Just some data I found on the game

When you get to 1,000,000 lyrical points: These things will happen
Your Ad-hoc Card Rank will be at AAA
You will unlock all unlockable costumes regardless of whether you fulfilled the particular requires if you reach this many lyrical points. All passcode based costumes will not be unlocked.
You will unlock all characters, if you haven't unlocked them before.
(?)Unlock all possible Ad-hoc card stuff like background pictures

What you have to unlock on your own is CG pictures from the story mode, you cannot skip story sequences as you will miss cg pictures when it happens.
Hayate22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 15:06   Link #1626
Sunder the Gold

What about those special ability things? I see Yuuno's equipped with stuff like Long Range Defense+ when Laith plays, but the CPU character has nothing, and some of the other characters he picks have nothing.
Old 2012-01-06, 15:11   Link #1627
Hayate22
TSAB Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
What about those special ability things? I see Yuuno's equipped with stuff like Long Range Defense+ when Laith plays, but the CPU character has nothing, and some of the other characters he picks have nothing.
Forgot to note that but by the time you get to a million lyrical points, you should be able to unlock those augmentations.

Basically the augmentations will give extra defense power or attack power or augment a particular aspect.

Long Range Power = gives an increase in long range spell attacks
Cross Range Power = gives an increase in close range combat attacks
Burst Power = gives an increase in damage to all Full Drive Burst attacks

There are things like Drive Stock which gives you 1 more Drive Stock for the matches, etc.
Old 2012-01-06, 19:37   Link #1628
Sunder the Gold

Are these abilities thing that characters have in the storymode?

Or, are there any automatic to particular characters?
Old 2012-01-06, 19:44   Link #1629
rxrx

Level 3 skills are specific to some characters only, like Signum and Touma can equip Long Range defence 3, Einhart can equip MP Cut-3 and Stern can quip Accel-cut Level 3 for example. The others are pretty much free for all.
rxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 20:00   Link #1630
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
like Signum and Touma can equip Long Range defence 3.
hmmmm... clever xD

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 20:56   Link #1631
Meltyred

Quote:
I saw you snag SOMETHING with Chain Anchor and zip along like a hookshot, but it wasn't Kyrie. Did you snag an invisible wall, or were you just able to move despite having missed?

Also, Yuuno showed a different pre-fight animation this time. I wonder why? Is it random?

Yuuno versus Vita?
The anchor hit the guard so Yunno anchored himself to that spot.
You can also do it with Signum (Dragging blocking characters to you).

Also, the special abilities must be set manually, for both CPU and you.
One of the best for combos is Air strike, which increases damage for those in juggle state.
Drive critical increases damage done in Full drive mode (Kinda useless for me since I just hit with full burst attack as a counter).
MP loader, makes you magic gauge reload faster. (Recommended for long rangers)
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 23:18   Link #1632
Hayate22
TSAB Enforcer

Quote:
Are these abilities thing that characters have in the storymode?

Or, are there any automatic to particular characters?
These augmentations cannot be used in story mode it seems.

You will have to manually apply them in single player.

Hover over the character you wish to use.
Press Triangle to go to the augmentation screen
Press O over the ones you want to use. Up to 3. To change use the left and right shoulder buttons.
To confirm, press X.
This will have the augments put into effect.

Then just select the character to play with augmentations.
Old 2012-01-07, 01:24   Link #1633
Key Board
Carbon

Yuuno has an A rank composite license, not aerial

to simplify things:

composite: Your very traditional mage archetype. Focus is knowledge and spells. Weak point is close range. Iconic example is Hayate. (Even Erio would kick her ass). If this was a game this would be a Dungeon and Dragons session

aerial: Aerial dog-fighting and melee engagement. If this was a videogame this would be ACE COMBAT.

ground: Army tactics, using cover, CQC. In this was a videogame it would be CALL OF DUTY

in addition, the Saint Church has the authority to give out Knight titles. I'm going to assume that they have their own exams.

Subaru is not a Knight, while Erio is one. (Squire during StrikerS)
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 01:43   Link #1634
Meltyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Yuuno has an A rank composite license, not aerial

to simplify things:

composite: Your very traditional mage archetype. Focus is knowledge and spells. Weak point is close range. Iconic example is Hayate. (Even Erio would kick her ass). If this was a game this would be a Dungeon and Dragons session

aerial: Aerial dog-fighting and melee engagement. If this was a videogame this would be ACE COMBAT.

ground: Army tactics, using cover, CQC. In this was a videogame it would be CALL OF DUTY

in addition, the Saint Church has the authority to give out Knight titles. I'm going to assume that they have their own exams.

Subaru is not a Knight, while Erio is one. (Squire during StrikerS)
So...
Who knows how did Erio become a dragon knight?
It kinda just popped out, without any story to it.
It's sad how the 4 forwards in StrikerS are not aerial mages, cause it means no appearance if they use the same system for a future Nanoha game.
Old 2012-01-07, 01:46   Link #1635
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
No, a good point is that even Caro can beat up Hayate. But I believe Composite is more like... not a true rank? They have it, but at the same time, it's wonky in it's justification. In Hayate's case, she's got lots and lots of power, but lacks any single-target, or spells really of any sort barring massive area of effect ones, which is why she has a composite rank.
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 01:50   Link #1636
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Sounds like a rank for overspecialized mages, there's no doubt that Hayate is an incredibly powerfull mage whose spells have devastating effects and can bring down armies in a single shot but she's very impractical in any other area.

Yuuno is an undeniable strong mage by his own merits but is overspecialized in defensive/submissive magic with close to none fire power(just some variations of the utterly basic "Shoot Barret" spell). So a composed rank is also justified in his case, wonder if Shamal is on the same situation.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 02:02   Link #1637
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
Sounds right. I believe Caro has her rank because of her dragon summoning skills. It's more... like an average rank? Yuuno has S-rank defensive skills/binding, but his offensive skills are so low that it brings his overall rank down. Most magic users aren't that heavily specialized, and are more well-rounded.
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 03:41   Link #1638
Key Board
Carbon

Caro is a ground force license holder

it means she went through all the army training Subaru and Teana did and was given a license according to what rank of exam she passed.

IIRC, Hayate said she took the composite exam because the physical challenges were considerably easier.

I don't know if Erio is officially a "Dragon Knight"

but according to one of the StrikerS trading cards he does had a Belka Knight title of 騎士見習い Squire. I don't think it has made it to canon comic yet. And that was during StrikerS. He might be full fledged by now.

Other people who have Belka titles include:

Knight: Signum and Vita. And I think Shamal too.

Knight: Zest

Mage Knight: Hayate. She's the only one with this title, IIRC.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2012-01-07 at 03:54.
Old 2012-01-07, 04:04   Link #1639
Meltyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Caro is a ground force license holder

it means she went through all the army training Subaru and Teana did and was given a license according to what rank of exam she passed.

IIRC, Hayate said she took the composite exam because the physical challenges were considerably easier.

I don't know if Erio is officially a "Dragon Knight"

but according to one of the StrikerS trading cards he does had a Belka Knight title of 騎士見習い Squire. I don't think it has made it to canon comic yet. And that was during StrikerS. He might be full fledged by now.

Other people who have Belka titles include:

Knight: Signum and Vita. And I think Shamal too.

Knight: Zest

Mage Knight: Hayate. She's the only one with this title, IIRC.
What about Carim?
She could be a Mage Knight also
Old 2012-01-07, 04:14   Link #1640
Key Board
Carbon

oh yeah, I remember now

Carim was definitely Knight

That's how they refer to her in Strikers: Kishi(Knight) Karim

Mage Knight, as said, is only seen on Hayate. Maybe because she's a special case.
Do you see anyone else using both Old Belka and Modern Midchilda spells?

Interestingly, I don't think Schach was a Knight, though.
Maybe Sisters have their own hierarchy of titles?
Or maybe it's just something they forgot to mention?