AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 36 29.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 36.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 18.03%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 9.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 5.74%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-29, 08:23   Link #61
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Hmmm. I wonder if it could be J-J-J-Jimmy Page or J-J-J-Jeff Beck. Too many rockers with similar hairstyles; looks like we'll have to play this by ear if you know what I mean, folks. And then there's still the other guy.
Old 2009-05-29, 08:36   Link #62
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

The way Yui coaxed Azusa was hilarious. Just reminds me of nosy relatives/parents doing that. Offering food with disheveled hair.
Old 2009-05-29, 09:37   Link #63
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Hmmm. I wonder if it could be J-J-J-Jimmy Page or J-J-J-Jeff Beck. Too many rockers with similar hairstyles; looks like we'll have to play this by ear if you know what I mean, folks. And then there's still the other guy.
I'm pretty sure that those are the two guitarists referenced in those 2 scenes respectively. The first scene has Jimmy Page (with Azusa twin-tails, right) playing a Gibson Les Paul with Robert Plant (left) holding the mic. The second scene is by default Jeff Beck (also Azusa-fied) since it can't be Jimi Hendrix (who looks totally different). Plus, Jeff Beck uses Fender guitars like Azusa and is also right-handed (ok, Jimi also used Fenders, but was a lefty (even though he used right-handed guitars) and JB has been known to play a Les Paul from time to time).
Old 2009-05-29, 09:43   Link #64
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
The way Yui coaxed Azusa was hilarious. Just reminds me of nosy relatives/parents doing that. Offering food with disheveled hair.
The food is indeed good in this case.
Old 2009-05-29, 10:20   Link #65
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
It was pretty obvious from the start that they intended to put Azusa in the OP eventually. There was a noticeable gap between Mio and Ritsu whenever you saw the whole band playing.
Indeed, that gap should be our major clue to what's really going on. It wouldn't surprise me if both versions of the opening were made around the same time. It was just a matter of making sure the "band" scenes could fit five people and then saving a version that lacked Azusa. As well as creating place holder scenes.

Actually depending on how you look at it, it might be less a case of Azusa being inserted into the band scenes and more a case of her being removed from the said band scenes.
Old 2009-05-29, 10:47   Link #66
Molenir

Have to agree, having Azusa being inserted in the OP seemed forced. If they were going to do that, they should have simply made an entirely new OP, one that included her. Not just done it this way.

Enjoyed the episode though as usual. Always looking forward to more of this one.
Old 2009-05-29, 11:12   Link #67
Principalities

The extra guitar during the OP was a nice touch.
Old 2009-05-29, 12:56   Link #68
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Episode 9 article is up:

[RIUVA] K-ON!, Episode 9

The Breaking of Nakano Azusa may have gone at a slightly hurried pace, but the last portion of the episode, despite the change in tone, seals the deal for me for a very good reason. 9/10.
Old 2009-05-29, 13:27   Link #69
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

I was all excited when I heard Asuza was actually in the opening... then I realized it was just a terrible, terrible edit. Thanks Kyoani.

Anyways, am I the only one who actually like the tone of second half the episode compared to the first. I know the positive gogetters on these forums are tired of hearing it, but I didn't like how the first half turned out at all. Asuza is definitely one of my favorites characters now, right next to Mio. Why? Because she doesn't want to sit about and drink tea all day. She joined the Light Music club because she was moved by their performance, and wants to be apart of what she though was great, but in the end she was just appalled at the reality of the band.

I'm probably looking into this too much, but I'm seeing Asuza as a good representation of the people who have been frustrated with the moe over music road this series keeps taking. The frustrations of how the damn band acted built up within me around the same time it built up in Asuza. It kept building up perfectly in sync until the very climax where Asuza broke down and I was about ready to give up. Those last few minutes though, was definitely the highlight for me. It was moving, and I also did notice that when those four get serious and want to perform, their wasted talents can create something magnificent.

Maybe the last episode set the bar too high, and maybe I was just expecting too much to begin with. I want more of the second half and less of the first half, but reading ahead in the manga... I know it won't happen. Don't get me wrong, I do like this series... these are just my honest opinions that K-ON! could have something better than it already is right now. I'll keep watching until the end, and even further if more seasons arrive, but there will always be that little sense of disappointment in the back of my head.

So what did I like? Besides the whole build up to the second half of the episode, not much really. Yui teasing Asuza with the cake was probably the most amusing moment, but apart from that none of the other gags really stood out. The gags actually annoyed me more than humor me, and this is actually the first episode that has done this. I wonder why...

On a side note, this episode really makes me wonder where and how they're going to end this series manga wise...

Last edited by Tamad; 2009-05-29 at 13:40.
Old 2009-05-29, 13:53   Link #70
Starlight

The new OP is a pretty lazy edit Although I do like the way they put Asuza's shot in the beginning with her hands up, thats pretty cute, and the segments with Asuza's playing.

But the rest of it with them playing as a group is pretty weirdly edited, shouldn't Kyo Ani have been more prepared for editing her in, by putting more space in the spot where she was to be, before her appearance? Or at least remove some more scenes with all Mio, Yui, Mugi and Ritsu for shots with em including Asuza.

Anyway I haven't watched the full episode yet, I just decided to comment on the OP
Old 2009-05-29, 14:40   Link #71
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Kyoani showing off their leet photoshopping skills this episode eh...

Meh fun episode just the same although the attempt at semi-serious near the end kinda got muddled by all the typical moe overload the show uses...Just keep it light guys, just keep it light...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-05-29, 15:05   Link #72
Takuto19
Yarrrr

Was a good episode today, really like Azuza heh, fits in well with the group. Ritsu's random appearances during the scenes was great as well, think she's my fav character along with Mio.

Looking forward to next weeks as usual.
Old 2009-05-29, 15:18   Link #73
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth

I'm pretty sure that those are the two guitarists referenced in those 2 scenes respectively. The first scene has Jimmy Page (with Azusa twin-tails, right) playing a Gibson Les Paul with Robert Plant (left) holding the mic. The second scene is by default Jeff Beck (also Azusa-fied) since it can't be Jimi Hendrix (who looks totally different). Plus, Jeff Beck uses Fender guitars like Azusa and is also right-handed (ok, Jimi also used Fenders, but was a lefty (even though he used right-handed guitars) and JB has been known to play a Les Paul from time to time).
Actually in the new Azusa thread Kurt Cobain was mentioned as being the second rocker seen. Looking him up, he does fir the visual a little better than Jeff Beck does. Also those sunglasses fit Cobain as does the Mustang guitar Azunyan uses.
Old 2009-05-29, 17:02   Link #74
Dextro
He Without a Title

Poor Azusa-chan, I though she would die of a heart attack in that club for sure xD

And when my beloved Mio-chan said she was feeling lonely I just wanted to hold her and tell her not to fell that way...

Overall the best episode yet (and really I liked the short explanation of what "mutes" are in the middle, wish they would do more of those).
Old 2009-05-29, 17:15   Link #75
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
And when my beloved Mio-chan said she was feeling lonely I just wanted to hold her and tell her not to fell that way...
That was Ritsu just to tease her. But she and Mio will be good friends for sure. Azunyan sees her as a big sister I felt.

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Old 2009-05-29, 17:26   Link #76
Teiran
NPC
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principalities View Post
The extra guitar during the OP was a nice touch.
I was hoping others had noticed that. I was glad to see the changes in the OP animation, even if their execution left something to be desired, but I thought the introduction of the second guitar was the best addition: a subtle yet definite nod to Azusa's presence.
Old 2009-05-29, 17:27   Link #77
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Now, I OWN 2 NEKOMIMIS AS MY WAIFUS. I am such a lucky guy xDDD.
Your waifus? xD Give me a min and I can name at least 35 people who are also claiming her, including me ^^

Btw, I actually like how they added Azusa to the OP, contrary to the general opinion in this thread...
Old 2009-05-29, 17:32   Link #78
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

Really, just adding one new main character upsets it. I mean her little personal segment is set apart from the others I mean if there was another character to join her it'd look less disjointed.

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Old 2009-05-29, 17:37   Link #79
kyosak
poo

Hahaha! I can't stop laughing at Ritsu's "Mio monologue." That's got to be one of the funnier scenes in the series so far, lol.
Old 2009-05-29, 18:55   Link #80
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
I was all excited when I heard Asuza was actually in the opening... then I realized it was just a terrible, terrible edit. Thanks Kyoani.

Anyways, am I the only one who actually like the tone of second half the episode compared to the first. I know the positive gogetters on these forums are tired of hearing it, but I didn't like how the first half turned out at all. Asuza is definitely one of my favorites characters now, right next to Mio. Why? Because she doesn't want to sit about and drink tea all day. She joined the Light Music club because she was moved by their performance, and wants to be apart of what she though was great, but in the end she was just appalled at the reality of the band.

I'm probably looking into this too much, but I'm seeing Asuza as a good representation of the people who have been frustrated with the moe over music road this series keeps taking. The frustrations of how the damn band acted built up within me around the same time it built up in Asuza. It kept building up perfectly in sync until the very climax where Asuza broke down and I was about ready to give up. Those last few minutes though, was definitely the highlight for me. It was moving, and I also did notice that when those four get serious and want to perform, their wasted talents can create something magnificent.

Maybe the last episode set the bar too high, and maybe I was just expecting too much to begin with. I want more of the second half and less of the first half, but reading ahead in the manga... I know it won't happen. Don't get me wrong, I do like this series... these are just my honest opinions that K-ON! could have something better than it already is right now. I'll keep watching until the end, and even further if more seasons arrive, but there will always be that little sense of disappointment in the back of my head.

So what did I like? Besides the whole build up to the second half of the episode, not much really. Yui teasing Asuza with the cake was probably the most amusing moment, but apart from that none of the other gags really stood out. The gags actually annoyed me more than humor me, and this is actually the first episode that has done this. I wonder why...

On a side note, this episode really makes me wonder where and how they're going to end this series manga wise...
As I've stated at her thread, I feel that there are fundamental changes to her character in the anime. In the manga, although she IS anxious that the gang is lazy on music, she's more of the "curious" type, instead of crying over it like she did in this ep.

K-On is never a overly dramatic series, and KyoAni has some hits and misses trying to play up the drama factor. The added sequences of Sawa-chan's run to the club is a hit, while Mio's "starry eye "during the first training camp was a miss for me, to say nothing about Azusa crying. In the end, it's all about having fun, and in the manga, Azusa soon acknowledges that as well. And let's face it: That cute face of hers looks better with demons eyes on it, not tears.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-05-29 at 19:13.
Closed Thread