AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-11-11, 19:04   Link #61
Xvoki

Once Bethesada release a Construction Set for this I can start modding again. Ah, happy modding days.
Xvoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 10:00   Link #62
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
gee thanks, completely ignore my post...
Please, no more music videos.
Old 2008-11-12, 17:13   Link #63
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
lol, your character looks fine, though you'll give up all that stuff once you get power armor.
pfft Power Armor is for wimps, I stick with my Metal armor and Biker goggles, or my bad character's Sherif coat/ shady hat

and why no music videos? who the hell made a Fallout 3 Music Video?
Old 2008-11-13, 01:24   Link #64
Whiteshirt

Just finished the game. Fantastic atmosphere and the combat is pretty neat. The mechanics are unquestionably good.

But good grief the ending was absolutely pathetic. I know the endings for the previous Fallouts weren't top-of-the-line material (still they were generally damned amusing in a dark way), but this was basically a cop out. I felt the main quest, especially the deal with the Enclave, were worse than the Wasteland Survival Guide quests. It was that bad.

Spoiler for Ending:
Whiteshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 01:47   Link #65
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshirt View Post
Just finished the game. Fantastic atmosphere and the combat is pretty neat. The mechanics are unquestionably good.

But good grief the ending was absolutely pathetic. I know the endings for the previous Fallouts weren't top-of-the-line material (still they were generally damned amusing in a dark way), but this was basically a cop out. I felt the main quest, especially the deal with the Enclave, were worse than the Wasteland Survival Guide quests. It was that bad.

Spoiler for Ending:
It would have been entirely acceptable had you been able to keep on playing afterwards. The ending was a surprise--not in a "surprise ending" sort of way, but in that the ending's occurrence itself comes as a surprise... There is absolutely no reason for them to have cut the game off right there--other than to perhaps to make money off of some sort of expansion that includes the ability to keep playing. The lack of a significantly changed gameworld could have been easily rationalized.

As it is, the abrupt ending left a sour aftertaste on an otherwise excellent game.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 02:15   Link #66
Regall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshirt View Post

Spoiler for Ending:
I think the best way to describe Fallout 3 would be that the atmosphere is top notch and overwhelming, but unfortunately it ends up being very shallow when you look back at it.
Regall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 08:05   Link #67
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I wonder if having all the Rediation Resistance buffs changes the ending... prob not..
Old 2008-11-13, 14:21   Link #68
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
and why no music videos? who the hell made a Fallout 3 Music Video?
Music videos that tack on some random music to unrelated visuals, like anime music videos, are generally either boring or horrible.
Old 2008-11-13, 17:06   Link #69
Whiteshirt

Nothing changes the ending. The whole main quest is essentially one you'd expect from a JRPG, not a Fallout game. Except all factions really just have paper-thin motivations.

You can easily survive that room with a Environmental Suit. But everything is scripted.
Whiteshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 18:14   Link #70
Jintor

And Fawkes is a dick.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 03:17   Link #71
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Yeah seriously. Since you can't play after the ending anyways, there's really no excuse for them to have copped out on Fawkes doing the job.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-14, 21:24   Link #72
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Music videos that tack on some random music to unrelated visuals, like anime music videos, are generally either boring or horrible.
Its a game.. not a Anime, and a RPG game as well... I can make the story up as much as I want and make it fit any song.

So think before you tell people what and what not to do...
Old 2008-11-15, 08:45   Link #73
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

The ending wasn't exactly bad but it could have done better, felt quite rushed out in the latter part. Also, it didn't help guide the players to a good deal of locations present in the game. Just keeping to the main story line, you ll end up with half the map unexplored.

Btw Bethesda, what the hell happen to the summary for all the factions like in F1 & 2? It was great to see your actions affect the communities in the Wasteland so it's disappointing not to get a summary of the consequence at the end as a wrap up. I know Three Dogs does announce some of the consequence of your actions but they are just the short term outcome/result.

Companion system is a huge backward step for the series. Should have tossed in a proper inventory management system, some side skills and quest for them. Bethesda should look at KoToR, Planescape and BG series on how to develop a proper companion.

Skill system is good and bad. It's good that they tied in a few skill together (Med = FA + Doctor, Explosive = Throwing + Explosive) but a number of them doesnt affect dialogue as much as the old FAs.

Combat could use a bit more polishing. You cant switch strategy with your companion on the fly so the best planning gets trashed when your companion charge ahead blindly. No body part targetting for melee so it's better to stick with guns all the way.

Anyway it's a good game, not perfect but good enough to keep you entertained for a good long while.
Old 2008-11-15, 11:37   Link #74
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Its a game.. not a Anime, and a RPG game as well... I can make the story up as much as I want and make it fit any song.
Irrelevant. I said:
Quote:
unrelated visuals, like anime music videos
Anime music videos was an example.

If you can make it good, more power to you, but I doubt it.
Old 2008-11-19, 06:23   Link #75
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I decided to not do the main quest for a while (especially after hearing opinions about it) and focused on side-quests instead. There were a lot of flaws, like the companion system (Fallout 2 did it right).

I can give Beteshda credit for one thing, it is the most immersing game setting for now. I kept arguing with the Square fanboys, telling them that cinematics an immersive game does not make. Fallout 3 is the showcase example of a immersive game environment, that does not rely on cinematics, or spoonfeeding a storyline that leave little to no room to personalization.

PS: Talon Company Mercs are dicks. They keep popping left and right to get my ass.

PPS: I wish that there are a MMO of it. For one, it would provide an alternative to WoW, I do not find the world of Azeroth compelling at all. Secondly, I am getting sick of the copypasta fantasy in the MMO industry.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 17:18   Link #76
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Good news for Xbox360 & PC players. There's gonna be 4 major DLC for you to download, with one of them being the continuation after completing the main quest!

Here's the link: http://kotaku.com/5098590/creation-k...hits-fallout-3
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 22:13   Link #77
kujoe
from head to heel

Yeah well, I've only begun to catch up with the discussion in this thread.

I just wanted to voice my opinion that it's good that the DLC will continue from where the main quest ends, because that's one terrible way of ending a Fallout game. Not to mention, I might want to continue playing.

On another note, yes, this is indeed Fallout + Oblivion. Not that it's totally a bad thing, considering that the game is more immersive this way, and it's different. However, it's only "open" in the sense, that outside character building, you really only have three ways of playing this game: good, neutral and evil. I also wish the companions have more to them than just being extra guns or pack mules. A huge world like that, and it can get pretty lonely eventually. I feel this more in Fallout 3 for some reason. Personally, I generally like to have a party in RPGs so maybe that's just me.

All in all, it's still a very satisfying game. I'm excited for the DLC.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 14:35   Link #78
ACSephiroth
Lucy's man

Finally happy the DLC will all be sold in disk form soon. I know the Pitt and Operation Anchorage is out now for the Xbox and PC versions. The next bundle comes out latter with Broken Steel and Point Lookout. I really don't want to deal with Games for Windows Live so this is good news for me. And I'm happy to see the PS3 players will finally be able to download them soon.

While I liked the game, the dialog was not as good as the original two Fallouts, though Malcolm McDowell made a perfect President Eden. I did not like the ending either or how they portrayed the Brotherhood of Steel as knights in shining armor while the Enclave were the evil baby killing villains. What happened to the moral shades of gray from the original? And I hear in the expansion you are forced to join the Brotherhood which really pisses me off. Why couldn't I join the Enclave?! The president himself offers you a position with them if you do something for him yet the expansion makes that all moot. While I had a lot of time playing with the sandbox gameplay, I absolutely hatted the storyline. That's my two cents anyway.

Speaking of the Enclave, anyone want to join my new Enclave Fan Club?
ACSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote