AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 25 36.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 35.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 22.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 5.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-01, 17:38   Link #41
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Makishima is less of a genius, and more of a wizard. He's kinda like the Joker, in that he can materialize expendable homicidal maniacs out of nowhere.
lol, indeed, where did all these guys come from? I thought the system was precisely supposed to prevent the emergence of this kind of criminals. How come they were never caught by scanners until now? It's not like they just suddenly decided to wreck everything after receiving the helmets. The helmets were a mean to an end, not the cause.
Old 2013-02-01, 18:07   Link #42
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I thought it was kind of implied at the end there that those guys were foreigners.
Old 2013-02-01, 18:41   Link #43
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I thought it was kind of implied at the end there that those guys were foreigners.
The hacker guy is a korean, and maybe his breaking and entering team. But I never got the impression all the helmeted murder teams were supposed to be. Frankly I wouldn't have a very good opinion of the production team of Psycho-Pass if they made all the helmeted guys Koreans
Old 2013-02-01, 19:04   Link #44
Vicious108

The squad at the end probably consisted of Koreans "imported" by Che Gu Seung, yeah, but the guys at the beginning mugging and beating up old people and lighting honor students on fire were most likely Japanese, since they all seemed to be able to communicate with Japanese people easily and had a lot to bitch about the Sybil System ruining their lives, which seems like a silly thing to do if they were Korean and could simply go back to their home country or have chosen not to immigrate in the first place. Unless Sybil is like a syndicate and once you join there's no going back or something.
Old 2013-02-01, 19:11   Link #45
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Makishima's plan to take down Sibyl was well thought-out. Too bad for him Kogami managed to see thought it.
I think that Makishima is hoping that Kogami sees through it. In fact, I might even go as far to say that Makishima's main goal in all of this is to further test and challenge Kogami and bring their rivalry to a head.

Don't get me wrong - I do think that Makishima is sincere in his desire to take down Sibyl, and I also think he respects Gu Seung as a valuable ally. Nonetheless, I wouldn't be surprised if what Makishima is hoping most for here is to finally have that big confrontation with Kogami.

Imagine The Joker and The Riddler working together to bring down Jim Gordon and the GCPD. The Joker really does want to bring more chaos to Gotham and thoroughly destablize the GCPD, and both he and Riddler thinks this will be good for their criminal enterprises. But the Joker's big hope is that this stunt will draw out Batman, and lead to an epic confrontation with him.

Makishima is similar. I think that Makishima enjoys the idea of challenging Kogami (and perhaps trying to bring Kogami into Makishima's world) in much the same way that The Joker enjoys the idea of challenging Batman (and perhaps trying to bring Batman into The Joker's world).

Quote:
I cannot help but root for Makishima on some level this time, since I am not a big proponent of the Sibyl system. Everything fell apart so easily this week.
I agree. I also kind of hope that Makishima succeeds. His methods obviously are pretty nasty for Joe Average Citizen, but let's face it - The damage has been done there, nothing's going to bring back the lives that have already been lost. Better for this mass riot to lead to the destruction of a horrible governmental system than instead for that destructive riot to be completely in vain, imo.

But whether Makishima succeeds or not, I think that next episode will be a great one. I love how its very unpredictable, imo. I could see Kogami totally foiling Makishima and killing him, and I could see Makishima totally succeeding and outmaneuvering Kogami, and I could see almost anything between. It's great to have a truly unpredictable narrative here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
Indeed. Nothing like discussing your favorite literary works and authors and sipping some tea while human civilization crumbles down below you due to the chaos and destruction you've unleashed.
True, lol.

But, at least for me, it went beyond that. Ever since the first episode of Psycho-Pass, the Sibyl system has struck me as a bit... weird. Strange.

Don't get me wrong, I could imagine something very similar to the Sibyl system coming into existence in real life sometime in the future. And yet, as I watch Psycho-Pass week after week after week, I'm increasingly struck by just how much I find this system strange, and counter-intuitive to human nature.

Gu Seung indeed put it very simply and succinctly when he stated, "Those who are perfectly happy entrusting everything in their lives to some nonsense like that are the ones who're crazy."

Bang. That one line just perfectly captured my own misgivings with the Sibyl system.

Misgivings and thoughts like "Are all these downsides really worth it? Is all of the indignity that comes along with accepting Sibyl something that people should be willing to tolerate? Is what we have right now so bad that it warrants something like Sibyl?"

And as eccentric as they are in some respects, I honestly think that Makishima and Gu Seung do capture what most "normal people" in real life would think of Sibyl - "This is strange shit, dude. It's not worth it. I'll tolerate a little bit of crime in society and a little bit of uncertainty in life rather than embrace this sort of nonsense."

Now, as for my quibbles...

I find it odd that the same society that couldn't be roused to help that woman last episode are now so readily, even eagerly, turning to widespread violence. It's like this society has gone from totally deadened to very edgy with every man so eager and willing to become violent in self-defense. These people have gone from one extreme to the other, and in such a short period of time! They've gone from zombie-esque cowards to reckless vigilantes.

The way the civilian populace here has risen up to combat a perceived widespread threat is like something out of a NRA wet dream (especially that one scene where the honors students took down their helmeted kidnappers). Seriously, it makes me think a lot more America than it does Japan. It honestly makes me wonder if Japan is really so different from North American and European nations as I've been led to believe.

But in any event, it is a bit hard to swallow. I'm willing to go along with it, and I don't think its entirely unbelievable, but I hope Gen plays things a bit tighter the rest of the way.
Old 2013-02-01, 19:27   Link #46
Ultramarinus
Disputatio exaro nex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
If nothing else, stronger internal security capable of actually getting into fights would be a national security issue. There's not much point to having an army if a dozen infiltrating terrorist commandos are essentially an unstoppable force.
Yang Wen-li could conquer this Japan with just a fork and paper clip.

It's like 1929 and people all rushed the banks to withdraw their deposits. My suspension of disbelief isn't buying that Japan in 2100 put all of their eggs in the same basket for public security. There's a riot and there's literally no backup whatsoever. Heck, no need for a riot even. They wouldn't be able to defend the HQ if he had gathered like 20-30 maniacs instead of 6.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with how the story is progressing since the same guy also wrote Blassreiter. That was by far more believable in how the system worked. There were backups of backup security forces.
Old 2013-02-01, 19:35   Link #47
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramarinus View Post

It's like 1929 and people all rushed the banks to withdraw their deposits. My suspension of disbelief isn't buying that Japan in 2100 put all of their eggs in the same basket for public security. There's a riot and there's literally no backup whatsoever. Heck, no need for a riot even. They wouldn't be able to defend the HQ if he had gathered like 20-30 maniacs instead of 6.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with how the story is progressing since the same guy also wrote Blassreiter. That was by far more believable in how the system worked. There were backups of backup security forces.
I think you're overstating this a bit. A couple points...

1. "We've been at peace for too long". The Director is right in this regard. It's not hard for me to see how a lengthy period of peace, stretching over several decades, could lead to a somewhat complacent civilian government and a skeleton police/military defense force. My impression is that organized crime, as we know it, hasn't existed in the world of Sybil for a long time. I mean, I'm certainly seeing nothing like the Yakuza in this show. Even with Makishima manipulating things from the shadows, its typically just a lone crazy here and then a lone crazy there. If that's all your dealing with for decades on end, then all you really need is a small police force. And that means that, after awhile, the government is going to be tempted to slash spending on the police department in order to spend more money on more pressing concerns.

2. In a world where psychological health is a big deal, people will tend to shy away from professions where their psychological health could be severely threatened. The professions that I could see this hurting: Politician, Psychiatrist, Police Officer, Soldier. Again, it's not hard for me to see how this could lead to a skeleton police/military force.

Even Makshima admitted that the Sibyl system (and here I include the human side of it) is not as controlling as the government that Orwell envisioned in 1984. To a certain degree, the Sibyl system is based on people looking after their own psychological health and hence ensuring that they're not likely to become criminals. And in this vein, the Sibyl system worked for a long time. Until now.
Old 2013-02-01, 19:57   Link #48
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yeah, it also seems to confirm in this episode that Sibyl System is NOT an world wide phenomenon. Not only that, the technology to create such system is apparently an acquired one. No confirmation yet other than the Hacker's own speculation, but perhaps alien will pop in soon?

Episode was engrossing nonetheless. Very much looking forward to next episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
To a certain degree, the Sibyl system is based on people looking after their own psychological health and hence ensuring that they're not likely to become criminals. .
Just a minor nitpick here... People aren't encouraged to look after their own psychological health, but rather forced into meeting with a certain set of guidelines of the system, or else. The general effect seen in this episode played out this way because that pressure valve of constant abiding was released all at once.
Old 2013-02-01, 20:23   Link #49
Ultramarinus
Disputatio exaro nex

Quote:

1. "We've been at peace for too long". The Director is right in this regard. It's not hard for me to see how a lengthy period of peace, stretching over several decades, could lead to a somewhat complacent civilian government and a skeleton police/military defense force. My impression is that organized crime, as we know it, hasn't existed in the world of Sybil for a long time. I mean, I'm certainly seeing nothing like the Yakuza in this show. Even with Makishima manipulating things from the shadows, its typically just a lone crazy here and then a lone crazy there. If that's all your dealing with for decades on end, then all you really need is a small police force. And that means that, after awhile, the government is going to be tempted to slash spending on the police department in order to spend more money on more pressing concerns.

2. In a world where psychological health is a big deal, people will tend to shy away from professions where their psychological health could be severely threatened. The professions that I could see this hurting: Politician, Psychiatrist, Police Officer, Soldier. Again, it's not hard for me to see how this could lead to a skeleton police/military force.

Even Makshima admitted that the Sibyl system (and here I include the human side of it) is not as controlling as the government that Orwell envisioned in 1984. To a certain degree, the Sibyl system is based on people looking after their own psychological health and hence ensuring that they're not likely to become criminals. And in this vein, the Sibyl system worked for a long time. Until now.
It had been stated that the city's slums lack proper scanning equipment so you could gather a gang there over time, enough to wreck havoc before the ministry figures out something is going on. In fact, this is probably what happened when they were distributing those masks, there weren't any scanners around IIRC. The police is aware that their coverage is a patchwork and they know of an underground organization that's further vandalizing scanners systematically. So even if Makishima wasn't around, they have been at a low-intensity war. They should have prepared better than "we have a gigantic skyscraper dedicated to this system but we have 36 only EMP grenades and batons" non-sense. It's not like they have a low budget, they're operating a system that's probably running on a quantum supercomputer with an army of droids. Surely they could keep some spare emergency equipment.

Until the last two episodes, I had been assuming that they were a small task force of a proper police department but then they showed 18 people when they called 'everyone on leave' as well. They couldn't even fill a quarter of that conference room! Oh boy..

Demolition Man meets Die Hard 3. A friend told me he was expecting Bruce Willis to pop out from somewhere.

Well, at the very least I'm enjoying the fact that IG Production is still good at this stuff, gives me hope for GitS Arise.
Old 2013-02-01, 20:37   Link #50
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
lol, indeed, where did all these guys come from? I thought the system was precisely supposed to prevent the emergence of this kind of criminals. How come they were never caught by scanners until now? It's not like they just suddenly decided to wreck everything after receiving the helmets. The helmets were a mean to an end, not the cause.
This was explained in episode one. Remember there are areas where relays can't be posted so it becomes a kind safe haven for latent criminals.
Old 2013-02-01, 20:49   Link #51
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
And that is bloody depressing considering that Yang Wen-li is the least physically actiony guy in existence

The Rosen Ritter on the other hand...I think they'd break the Crime Coefficient readers

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Quote:
Well as the hacker guy said. The fact that Sybill would be ENTIRELY based in this one place is very unusual. Perhaps due to something very secretive, worth the risk of making a consolidated system. But it still comes off as a bit wonky. Since if anyone ever DID conceivably devise a technological countermeasure against a psycho pass scan (or just had big enough guns), they could just bust into the building and wipe out the system.

Frankly it sounds to me like a more appropriate place for something like this would be on a fortified military base defended by war robots, with explicit authorization to kill unapproved personnel.
Quote:

Except this society still clearly has a military. Nobody would make warbots armed with purely lethal weapons if Japan couldn't conceive of foreign threats. If you can conceive of foreign threats, gutting your internal security forces this much is nothing but lunacy.

Your cops can't handle a TINY riot of people armed with molotov cocktails and blunt instruments and knives. What happens if they had to deal with a team of cyborg commando terrorists outfitted with rifle sized dominators that can be fired at will? It's hardly an inconceivable threat given the technology of this world. Just hide them away in a container ship coming into tokyo bay, and customs won't matter. You can shoot your way through customs, then proceed to obliterate whatever government agency you wanted to.

Which is very dangerous, as one of those government buildings hosts Sybills brain.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2013-02-01 at 21:02.
Old 2013-02-01, 20:50   Link #52
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I was worried about Kagari for a moment - and of course, he could still die, and is probably more likely to do so because he's with Akane and Kougami - but seeing that Gino and Masaoka are on the same team, I'm worried about Masaoka. I don't think the writers would kill him off unless it was in front of Gino, and hey, currently he's with Gino. Also, Shion is probably still back at headquarters...

Makishima and Gu-Sung's conversation was interesting for its emphasis on how they think of themselves as completely ordinary and common people who are just in a society gone mad.

I'm still not quite sold on Makishima as a character. He doesn't like the Sybil system and thinks he's outside the law, that he's a proper person (and so is anyone who is willing to kill...), and the people inside the system aren't, even as he's also willing to sacrifice people who are willing to go outside the system as pawns who have bored him. All his actions seem to have focused on violent, murderous means of going outside the system, on searching for entertainment from people who use murder. And, currently he's obviously gone to some trouble to knock things down, but he doesn't seem to care which way things fall. He's also been acting as if he was pushing down the system because it's flawed and easily breakable, but he's the first one to break it. I suppose, one main thing I don't like is that he went for an uncreative way of breaking the system. It's all about violence the way he's done it, even if he's got other ideals and is looking perpetually listless. Perhaps he's more interesting when viewed as someone who because of his interesting psychology has always been a chink in the armour of Sybil, who has become obsessed with dystopian novels and the feeling that he's "normal" and society will be better if only he can remove the centrepoint of that dystopia and return it to an idealised "normal" too.

The people who made the Sybil system have a lot to answer for, in that they didn't appear to have taken into account how having pre-determined jobs and so forth would affect people. True, the people angsting about that in this ep were scum, but a system based on psychological scanning and getting stuff right should have had people wondering about what would happen to people once they were pushed into bad jobs with no real hope of advancement or realistic choice. They should also have had back-ups! It's ridiculous how little protection the system has, especially given that the Sybil system hasn't even been in place long enough for someone like Masaoka who was working as a detective when it came in force to retire from old age yet.
Old 2013-02-01, 20:59   Link #53
Forever
Revealing the truth

well the subbed version reveals that all those people with helmets are actually scumbags with lousy jobs, just that their threat level is not high enough to pose a danger to society. Normally, they will be too frightened and just obey, hence the crime coefficient is actually borderline acceptable.

UNfortunately, since giving them the helmets, they gain the courage to fight back. And because they gained that courage, as Kogami said, their crime cofficient is all going to sky rocket and the helmet guys are all going to die...
Old 2013-02-01, 21:03   Link #54
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
I was worried about Kagari for a moment - and of course, he could still die, and is probably more likely to do so because he's with Akane and Kougami - but seeing that Gino and Masaoka are on the same team, I'm worried about Masaoka. I don't think the writers would kill him off unless it was in front of Gino, and hey, currently he's with Gino. Also, Shion is probably still back at headquarters...
Honestly is not worth quoting for characters Shion risk of death because it is job is to stay in the general area to provide information when others are in need so she estla one who risks nothing. .. unless ... a new arc to come ... people decides to destroy the headquarters of now putting them in and taking bomb and kill people inside ... at this time .. yes Shion is in great danger and risking to die ...

and then for once Kagari is in Akane's team (must be pleased at the bottom ) then the two team (newly change) which has the most risk? would think were "Akane / Kougami / Kagari"
Old 2013-02-01, 21:44   Link #55
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
I was worried about Kagari for a moment - and of course, he could still die, and is probably more likely to do so because he's with Akane and Kougami - but seeing that Gino and Masaoka are on the same team, I'm worried about Masaoka. I don't think the writers would kill him off unless it was in front of Gino, and hey, currently he's with Gino.
It's interesting to speculate whether Masaoka and Kagari being swapped from the usual teams was simply a writing convenience or an actual conscious decision from Gino. Before it was natural to assume that he chose the teams he did because he'd rather not have to deal with his father and old partner and thus pushed them onto the newbie Inspector, but perhaps his father and son heart-to-heart (if you can call it that) with Masaoka in episode 13 has made him rethink that course of action, hence him now being willing to place his father on his own team. Maybe deep down he believes that he might have a better chance of keeping his hue stable with his dad looking out for him?

Or it could simply be a decision from Urobuchi himself, so he can make the most out of the potential father and son drama now that their relationship's out in the clear. But while Masaoka's definitely the most fleshed out supporting member of the cast and could certainly meet his end in the near future (and thus cause his son's hue to go down the crapper and for him to be demoted to Enforcer), next week still seems like it'll be too busy with big revelations about Sybil and Kougami and Makishima's much anticipated showdown, so I'd say the Ginoza and Masaoka plotline will be left for after this arc, and if there's anyone in particular danger of biting it next week it would probably be Kagari in that he could be to Kougami what Yuki was to Akane. Then again, him and Kougami don't seem particularly close, but depending on Makishima's performance it could work out.
Old 2013-02-01, 21:54   Link #56
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
It's interesting to speculate whether Masaoka and Kagari being swapped from the usual teams was simply a writing convenience or an actual conscious decision from Gino. Before it was natural to assume that he chose the teams he did because he'd rather not have to deal with his father and old partner and thus pushed them onto the newbie Inspector, but perhaps his father and son heart-to-heart (if you can call it that) with Masaoka in episode 13 has made him rethink that course of action, hence him now being willing to place his father on his own team. Maybe deep down he believes that he might have a better chance of keeping his hue stable with his dad looking out for him?
My view on it is that Gino initially put Masaoka and Kogami on Akane's team because Masaoka and Kogami both used to be Detectives and hence could be helpful in showing the newbie the ropes.

Gino's confidence in Akane has gradually risen (due to her standing up for herself against him, and also due to what she did to try to catch Makishima). So Gino no longer feels a need to put both ex-Detectives on Akane's team. She can afford to lose "the training wheels", and so Gino makes more balanced teams of One Detective, One Ex-Detective, One True Enforcer.

But in fairness, I think that after his heart-to-heart with his dad, Gino doesn't mind having Masaoka on his team, and may, as you say, even feel a bit more comfortable with his dad there. And I'll say this... No matter how much a strained history there was between my own father and I, if the two of us were both going into the same warzone, I'd want to keep my father close to my side. I'd hate nothing more than hearing about him dying as a member of a different team - That would keep me up at night wondering if I could have prevented his death if he was on my team.

At a meta-level, there's many possible reasons for Kagari being put on Akane's team. One I want to throw out there - The Enforcer most likely to be swayed by Makishima making an anti-Sybil speech is Kagari. Just something to think about...
Old 2013-02-01, 22:25   Link #57
Vicious108

Quote:
My view on it is that Gino initially put Masaoka and Kogami on Akane's team because Masaoka and Kogami both used to be Detectives and hence could be helpful in showing the newbie the ropes.

Gino's confidence in Akane has gradually risen (due to her standing up for herself against him, and also due to what she did to try to catch Makishima). So Gino no longer feels a need to put both ex-Detectives on Akane's team. She can afford to lose "the training wheels", and so Gino makes more balanced teams of One Detective, One Ex-Detective, One True Enforcer.
I think that might be a little too flattering an interpretation of his actions for someone who was a rather unsympathetic character up until recently. Gino hasn't really shown any real admiration for Masaoka and Kougami's detective instincts (more like distaste, really, and even in this very episode, after Kougami's shown him up so many times already, he still hesitated to trust his judgement), and seems to have a general disregard for the concept of being a detective in the classic sense (something which, conversely, Masaoka and Kougami definitely value), with Sybil's role of "Inspector" already being deeply ingrained in his mind scheme as the right thing. So personally I'd still say his previous choice of teams was more about him avoiding the two people who have disappointed him the most and whom he probably felt could exert a negative influence on him and his hue.

But yes, he's definitely shown some improvements lately, and has indeed come to trust and respect Akane enough to handle whatever combination of teams the situation might call for.

Quote:
At a meta-level, there's many possible reasons for Kagari being put on Akane's team. One I want to throw out there - The Enforcer most likely to be swayed by Makishima making an anti-Sybil speech is Kagari. Just something to think about...
That's another interesting prospect and one I would probably welcome given that it would give Kagari an actual role to play and story to tell, something he alone has generally lacked thus far (and maybe Shion as well if you count her, whereas Yayoi had that one episode about her to make up for her otherwise small presence).
Old 2013-02-01, 23:00   Link #58
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Still need subs for the episode, but I'm sold already - Makishima mentions Philip Dick, William Gibson and George Orwell
Dont get why Maki didn't mention Aldous Huxley works instead of Orwell seeing as how the psycho pass verse can be compared more to the universe in brave new world as maki said tho controlling psycho pass does not rule thread fear and despair which is why it would relate alot more to huxley's work.

The only type of new big bad id settle for is sybil or what exactly is behind sybil the machine turns out to be worse than maki and presented in a good fashion. Anything else would be a cheap dragon devoured with little character development to get a cheap fan reaction.I.E the tech guy killing him just isnt needed. Just keep maki the bad guy.

If Ko or Akane don't fight each other or die Kagari is dead. Heck who am I kidding not matter who of those 2 die Kagari is more dead than a red shirt on star trek.

Maki and Go conversation was gold =D and made the episode for me forgot about how much I enjoyed it series needs more of them talking.

MeoTwister5 no sybil does not rule threw fear the series went over this itselt when Maki bought up Orwell. It rules threw a false sense of peace by sacrificing peoples emotion,free will, and one could argue very purpose in life. Again more similar to huxley why was he not bought up >_<.

Aside from Maki and a few anarchist groups most of the people deemed bad or giving dead end jobs by sybil didn't rise up they just gave up on life. For example the high schoolers earlier probably would have never committed crime if not for Maki and just given up on life.

Last edited by BoyTitan; 2013-02-01 at 23:21.
Old 2013-02-01, 23:20   Link #59
Qilin
Romanticist

Not much to say about this episode, except that the inevitable happened. Here you have a large scale loss of trust in the Sybil system, leading to lots of mass rioting. The police force is finally retaliating, but it doesn't look like they're willing to make a commitment, given that their strategy is built around disabling the helmets rather than disregarding Sybil altogether. It's an understandable choice based on all we already know about this society, but I do wonder if it really is the best one given the circumstances...

Well, regardless, I'm happy that this episode gives us an even clearer picture of Makishima's character along with his intentions. One thing that's clear is that simply causing havoc and destruction isn't his goal. Another is that he isn't exactly concerned about the society's welfare either. Given all that, I wouldn't call him a utilitarian anti-villain in the least. Rather, he's much closer to an artist with a very particular aesthetic sense. He wants to revert the world to what he perceives to be normal for its own sake. He pays no regard to the means by which he does this, nor does he care for the consequences of his actions.

Simply put, he's a human being in pursuit of beauty. He's a dreamer trapped within an ideal, to the point where the material world loses much of its meaning. Call him a mass murderer or a psychopath all you like, but his intentions are the purest I've seen in this series so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
Dont get why Maki didn't mention Aldous Huxley works instead of Orwell seeing as how the psycho pass verse can be compared more to the universe in brave new world as maki said tho controlling psycho pass does not rule thread fear and despair which is why it would relate alot more to huxley's work.
Maybe Urobuchi hasn't read it yet?

But I must concur. Brave New World is likely an even better comparison than 1984 when looking at the society in this series. It's a society that bases its control on unconscious associations and rewarding distractions rather than terror and threats. But really. There are lots of great dystopian novels out there, so it would probably be too much to expect all of them to be referenced here.
Old 2013-02-01, 23:37   Link #60
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Not much to say about this episode, except that the inevitable happened. Here you have a large scale loss of trust in the Sybil system, leading to lots of mass rioting. The police force is finally retaliating, but it doesn't look like they're willing to make a commitment, given that their strategy is built around disabling the helmets rather than disregarding Sybil altogether. It's an understandable choice based on all we already know about this society, but I do wonder if it really is the best one given the circumstances...

Well, regardless, I'm happy that this episode gives us an even clearer picture of Makishima's character along with his intentions. One thing that's clear is that simply causing havoc and destruction isn't his goal. Another is that he isn't exactly concerned about the society's welfare either. Given all that, I wouldn't call him a utilitarian anti-villain in the least. Rather, he's much closer to an artist with a very particular aesthetic sense. He wants to revert the world to what he perceives to be normal for its own sake. He pays no regard to the means by which he does this, nor does he care for the consequences of his actions.

Simply put, he's a human being in pursuit of beauty. He's a dreamer trapped within an ideal, to the point where the material world loses much of its meaning. Call him a mass murderer or a psychopath all you like, but his intentions are the purest I've seen in this series so far.

Maybe Urobuchi hasn't read it yet?

But I must concur. Brave New World is likely an even better comparison than 1984 when looking at the society in this series. It's a society that bases its control on unconscious associations and rewarding distractions rather than terror and threats. But really. There are lots of great dystopian novels out there, so it would probably be too much to expect all of them to be referenced here.
1984 was used to bring up the differences which is why right after I was thinking come on bring up brave new world to bring up the similarities, I think I did it in a post here before when some one was defending sybil. And your right lots of books and animes about dystopian societies heck this is the 3rd anime in a row if no.6 is new as I think, We have 2 this season I got to watch the other one after this its best to focus on one at a time and focus on the plot.Also I now have more books to read.

More this series goes on the more I think Maki is not bad. I mean this ep really painted him in a good light.Lets think for a second yes a few people died but how else would maki get rid of sybil.This episode made him seem a lot less like the survival of the fittest type earlier episodes made him out to be. I mean communism was over thrown most of the time with out side interference by another country due to war. There was no peaceful way to over throw sybil the people were majority wise far to into it to be talked into going against it were it maters, No materials left over or weapons to start a revolution only option maki had was throw the system into chaos. Only reason Maki is considered a bad guy is for killing the 2 leads friends but now if Maki character keeps on this track and once we learn his true intentions if they are not this the strong kill the weak mentality we were first presented with I can consider this a few deaths for a much greater cost. Well I am hoping they don't paint Maki as bad animes feel the need to paint doing what needs to be done or business as bad and evil.