Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-04, 00:48   Link #1021
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Well, I sure as hell don't like it when they resort to images of real people. Can't really say why, though; Just wish they'll stop using them. >_<

Regardless, I am still prety sold on the show and as pretty much everyone has already said, it is so because of the characters.
The subconscious feeling that it defeats the purpose of using animation?
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 00:57   Link #1022
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I love how a single episode manages to reduce even the most articulate contributors into a quivering mass of gush.
Oh man, did I really come off that way? I had a lot of trouble coming up with something new to say about this ep that hadn't already been posted in this thread, but after a while I just gave up and wrote the first thing that came to mind. Just consider this another vote of confidence for this show.

(It really is a great anime so far).
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 01:05   Link #1023
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Oh man, did I really come off that way? I had a lot of trouble coming up with something new to say about this ep that hadn't already been posted in this thread, but after a while I just gave up and wrote the first thing that came to mind. Just consider this another vote of confidence for this show.

(It really is a great anime so far).
I've noticed more I like a show, the less I talk about it.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 01:22   Link #1024
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Oh wow I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the previous one, and it was great to have such a nice conclusion for Hachikuji who got promoted (lolwut? XD). But seriously, from her story onto Arararararagi finding out to the conclusion, it was done perfectly. They kept the tension throughout despite the usual gibberish overly complex usage of dialogue and it was even emotional at times...when Hachikuji found her home at last.

The other parts of the episode was done really well too. Arararagi made me laugh at the start when he beat turned into a lolicon for sure. But the finisher of the episode can only be summed up in 3 words...

Spoiler:
the reason she said it in English is to avoid any misunderstandings. Considering that this show has a lot of word play, using the japanese words could be taken anyway. Using the English phrase removed any possible missunderstanding.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 01:34   Link #1025
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
the reason she said it in English is to avoid any misunderstandings. Considering that this show has a lot of word play, using the japanese words could be taken anyway. Using the English phrase removed any possible missunderstanding.
Hm, I was also somewhat confused by the English confession, and didn't really think about it that way.

I guess I forgot about how specific you need to be in Japanese to express "I love you", at which point saying it in English is more effective and much more succinct.
qwertyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 04:16   Link #1026
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_760
Quote:
yeah you've got a point
I was only thinking "why english lol" xD
but now when u mention it, saying it in japanese could cause a lot of misunderstandings ... like we see in many other animes xD
Sephiroth_760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 04:20   Link #1027
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post
I guess I forgot about how specific you need to be in Japanese to express "I love you"
Like for example how would a word play on the phrasing sound like?
Old 2009-08-04, 05:15   Link #1028
Pachael
原作通り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Well, whatever that is, there'd be three pages of comments and replies debating just what that meant, where as 'I love you' is fairly unambiguous
Pachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 06:05   Link #1029
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
For one thing, the most common word for love in JP is "Suki". Hence the name of this very website. But it could also mean "like" in a friendship sort of way. Then there is "Ai" which implied some romance, but that's rarely used except for deep love and developed relationships, so I don't see her using that word.

Using English is much more straight forward. Especially since from the Japanese point of view, being Straight-Forward in general is a Westerner cultural trait.
Old 2009-08-04, 06:14   Link #1030
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
The subconscious feeling that it defeats the purpose of using animation?
Why yes, you could also say that I honestly believe this show needs not those things. This goes along with some of the other visuals sometimes used, like the whole "they tried to rape me scene" from a few episodes back.

I am sure there are fans of that particular style of presentation, but it just so happens that I am not one of them.

Mind you, I am still very impressed with the show. This, along with S & W 2 are my top watches of the current season.
Old 2009-08-04, 06:33   Link #1031
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

Using English is much more straight forward. Especially since from the Japanese point of view, being Straight-Forward in general is a Westerner cultural trait.
later Senjougahara actually tells Araragi that she fell in love with him using the most formal form of horeru "惚れる". so it obvious she wants to be straight-forward. you see this word used a lot in works that deal with old time and it also a pear a lot in shows like gintama.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 07:13   Link #1032
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post

I'd say she enjoys smacking others (in particular, Araragi) around with her incredible teasing power. And we're here, cheering her on (at least I am)
When somethings that easy (Senjougahara's Araragi bashing) you tend to do it a lot. However i tend to see some playfulness behind her tongue raping.
Old 2009-08-04, 07:16   Link #1033
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
later Senjougahara actually tells Araragi that she fell in love with him using the most formal form of horeru "惚れる". so it obvious she wants to be straight-forward. you see this word used a lot in works that deal with old time and it also a pear a lot in shows like gintama.
Apparently, the kanji 惚 could also mean "to go into your second childhood" or "to go senile" if it's used in the form, houkeru 惚ける.

So, yes, "I love you" remains the most direct and unambigious way for Senjougahara to say exactly what she means.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 07:32   Link #1034
zato_1one

It's funny that Senjougahara said that in this past two years, Araragi was only one who tried to save her.

I really doubt that normal people, not former vampire like Araragi, would want to help her if she assaulted them with her favorite stapler.
Old 2009-08-04, 16:57   Link #1035
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler from novels:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
When somethings that easy (Senjougahara's Araragi bashing) you tend to do it a lot. However i tend to see some playfulness behind her tongue raping.
This is actually addressed later in the series.

Spoiler for spoilers for a later arc:

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 17:36   Link #1036
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Spoiler for spoiler from novels:

This is actually addressed later in the series.

ohhh those scenes could prove to be quite hilarious. Im deciding if i should pity him or be jealous i mean Senjougahara cant be the easiest girl in the world to date.
Old 2009-08-04, 20:10   Link #1037
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post

Ryotaro Okiayu.

C'mon SHAFT, make it happen.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 21:08   Link #1038
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Ryotaro Okiayu.

C'mon SHAFT, make it happen.
Actually I'm thinking more along the lines of Inoue Kazuhiko or Morikawa Toshiyuki, especially since

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 23:38   Link #1039
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

If anyone's interested, I've done a longish blog post on Saitou Chiwa: Senjougahara Fascination -- Saitou Chiwa in Bakemonogatari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
...i mean Senjougahara cant be the easiest girl in the world to date.
Understatement of the year, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 00:36   Link #1040
Oppius
Banned

I shouldn't made this one up but...

Spoiler:
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance, shaft, supernatural