Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-06-23, 14:25   Link #3161
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
just wait. remember this is Hunter x Hunter's best arc.

Pretty much this, I mean Isayama of SnK had a great START to his Manga, but he's not a good enough writer yet to keep it going for as long as Togahshi did/does. Isayama is using carrot and stick writting to create "suspense"(i.e. Time while he figures the rest of the story out), wheras Togashi pretty much already had what he wanted to write already laid out without the need for drawn out "suspense"that Isayama of SnK needs.(but was just too lazy to draw it) There is a reason why Togashi is pretty much allowed to do whatever he wants (and take loooong Hiatuses) in JAPAN of all places, where just being late for work by a minute can get you fired (learned through experience) and he takes 2-3 years off, and can come back whenever he feels like it. and STILL make great stories (he took like 1 year hiatus in the middle of this arc, came back and finished it and made it ridiculously good)

Of course SnK is Isayamas first manga. While Togashi also did Yu Yu Hakusho. . . which is the manga that pretty much two of the big three right now have either straight blandly copied or ripped off from (Naruto, Bleach. . .especially bleach wow).

so yeah Isayama has a ways to go to live up to Togashi. . . The only guy that's close to Togashi now is Oda and Toriyama.

Really? I think Hunter X Hunter is far from living up to YuYu Hakusho's sucess. I mean the main cast is already based on YuYu's cast (Kurapica and Kurama, Hiei and Killua, Leorio and Kuwabara) although Gon feels more like Goku's lost brother. Yusuke felt more appealing though. YuYu also gave good conclusions to its arcs while the Genei Ryodan arc was very anticlimatic. Hunter X Hunter even demotes to extra more characters than YuYu too.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 14:30   Link #3162
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
I really wished that I didn't watch that preview. Biscuit showing up again would've been a huge surprise for me. That's it, no more previews for me.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 14:45   Link #3163
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
They would be stronger than neferpitou. . .but definitely not the King. Chrollo would get destroyed by the King. I mean they had to bring in Netero!
I don't think they are. I don't think even Netero's stronger than Pitou. But he doesn't need to be. This episode makes it plenty clear that raw strength isn't everything.

Hunter x Hunter isn't Dragonball. I think in this arc we'll going to see how our heroes use every possible means to win against much stronger opponents.
Old 2013-06-23, 15:15   Link #3164
Upscaled

I find Pitou to be a totally different kind of character from Hisoka or Chrollo. Pitou is a combination of wide-eyed innocence and immense power. To describe Pitou as "innocent" might seem a bit odd, since we've seen a clear willingness to kill without hesitation. What I mean is the innocence of a newborn. To Pitou, everything is new, and there seems to be an intense curiosity about how the world works. Whether reading up on how to improvise brain surgery or comparing how strong one can be against a powerful opponent, Pitou is constantly seeking new information.
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 15:22   Link #3165
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upscaled View Post
I find Pitou to be a totally different kind of character from Hisoka or Chrollo. Pitou is a combination of wide-eyed innocence and immense power. To describe Pitou as "innocent" might seem a bit odd, since we've seen a clear willingness to kill without hesitation. What I mean is the innocence of a newborn. To Pitou, everything is new, and there seems to be an intense curiosity about how the world works. Whether reading up on how to improvise brain surgery or comparing how strong one can be against a powerful opponent, Pitou is constantly seeking new information.
You could say that cat is curious...
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 15:22   Link #3166
Clarste
Human

Pitou's a cat. There's the idea of cats "toying with their prey" that's sort of overlayed onto all of Pitou's behavior.

Not sure why some people are judging Pitou an inferior antagonist when s/he's only been in two episodes so far though.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 15:32   Link #3167
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
Really? I think Hunter X Hunter is far from living up to YuYu Hakusho's sucess. I mean the main cast is already based on YuYu's cast (Kurapica and Kurama, Hiei and Killua, Leorio and Kuwabara) although Gon feels more like Goku's lost brother. Yusuke felt more appealing though. YuYu also gave good conclusions to its arcs while the Genei Ryodan arc was very anticlimatic. Hunter X Hunter even demotes to extra more characters than YuYu too.
at this point hunterx hunter has been more succesful than yu yu hakusho, the formula used for the maincast is something that has been used from a long time ans is still used today, the difference is nowadays instead of an androgynous male you get a woman, about the conclusion of the arcs, this si very subjective, but given how even togashi acknowledged he rushed a lot of the arcs specially the last one giving yu yu hakusho one of the most anticlimatic and unrewarding endings, about the "genei ryodan arc", i supose you refer to the yorkshin arc, and it might not had a satisfying conclussion because it wasn't supposed to, it served its purpose of showing us how nen works and how it can be used, along with displaying the personality, motive and morale of the characters, and it fits quite nicely in the events to follow.
Old 2013-06-23, 16:19   Link #3168
Upscaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Not sure why some people are judging Pitou an inferior antagonist when s/he's only been in two episodes so far though.
I don't think the comparison is fair either. Furthermore, from everything we've seen so far, including that opening animation, the main antagonist of this arc, and the equivalent to a Chrollo, hasn't even been born yet. The question is, if Pitou is such a force of nature, what are the other Royal Guards and what is the King himself going to be like?

Last edited by Upscaled; 2013-06-23 at 16:21. Reason: Case change
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 17:16   Link #3169
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

What an amazing episode this one was.

I got 2 theories regarding Kite's fate:

A) He got really luck with his roll and the weapon he obtained allowed him to create a double while he safely escaped.

B) Kite did die but his body will be "reincarnated" as the king and he will have memories of his past life as a hunter. This would create an interesting dynamic between Gon/Killua and himself.
Old 2013-06-23, 17:51   Link #3170
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post

B) Kite did die but his body will be "reincarnated" as the king and he will have memories of his past life as a hunter. This would create an interesting dynamic between Gon/Killua and himself.
I wonder about this. Still betting that Gyro will be the one that ends up like this. Might be a different story the King carries both of their traits. Either way we both know that they'll be preserving his head for some reason.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 18:11   Link #3171
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Pitou's a cat. There's the idea of cats "toying with their prey" that's sort of overlayed onto all of Pitou's behavior.

I think I'm the only one who did judging. I don't like his personality. It's not interesting. But we'll see how things play out. Like I said from the start, the other guards and the king might be better.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 18:35   Link #3172
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Morel and Knov's trash-talking of Killua really pissed me off. He made the right call. There was nothing he or Gon could do against Pitou, they would have only gotten in Kite's way. Morel and Knov shouldn't act all high and mighty when they have no idea how fearsome the opponent truly is. They don't know what they're talking about. Kite whom we were told in this episode was a top tier hunter thought Killua made the correct decision. I'm looking forward to their reaction when they finally encounter a royal guard.

Morel's approach to nen battles is not wrong, but that only applies if you are not helplessly outmatched, which they were.
I don't think we're supposed to look at that situation and immediately be able to say Killua was right or wrong, Gon was right or wrong, or Morel was right or wrong. It's complicated. That's why Togashi is a writer than puts 99% of mangaka to shame.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 19:18   Link #3173
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Those guys could trash talk Killua all they want, but in the end it was his actions that gave him and Gon a chance for a next time. Kind of funny that his assassin training makes him a bit more relateable than most Hunters. Certainly not fighting a battle you are 100% going to lose just makes sense for him. At that point Nen doesn't even matter really. Pitou was just way too fast and powerful to touch at that point.

Really if Morel, Knov, and Netero have never had to retreat in their lives they must be incredibly talented and incredibly lucky to never face something beyond their abilities. In the end Killua is a necessary existence for Gon. One of them have to be rational enough to know when they can win and when they are hopelessly outmatched.

In the end what the right thing to do all depends on perspective. Kite and Killua were on the same page there, while Morel was on another.
Old 2013-06-23, 19:52   Link #3174
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Really if Morel, Knov, and Netero have never had to retreat in their lives they must be incredibly talented and incredibly lucky to never face something beyond their abilities. In the end Killua is a necessary existence for Gon. One of them have to be rational enough to know when they can win and when they are hopelessly outmatched.
Despite what it looks like, I don't think they were trash talking him because he retreated. It's more the way he did it what they don't agree with. He panicked and let his fear overpower him, and a hunter can't be like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
In the end what the right thing to do all depends on perspective. Kite and Killua were on the same page there, while Morel was on another.
Whether it was the right thing to do or not doesn't matter. If he wants to fight alongside Gon from now on, he got to learn not to let fear get the better of him. He got to learn how to face enemies who are way stronger than he is, because these ants aren't getting any weaker, and some weeks of training with Biscuit aren't going to change things much.

This is Killua's character development time, and I bet we'll see a significant change in his character during the upcoming training arc. As he is now (psychologically speaking) he can't fight the ants.
Old 2013-06-23, 20:30   Link #3175
HandofFate

RIP Kite.
This episode was nicely directed. The anime has been doing a very good job of transitioning the pages into animated form and giving everything coherency.
Old 2013-06-23, 21:11   Link #3176
SagaraSouske

I know Nefe is stronger then Hisoka and Cholleo in terms of raw power, just wondering if they fight, who would win. Wonder why Hisoka never challenged Netero. He obviously think himself stronger then any of the other spiders and there really are few people that he will consider fun to fight. I would have thought he would think Netero just as a juicy a target as Cholleo.
Old 2013-06-23, 21:13   Link #3177
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaraSouske View Post
I know Nefe is stronger then Hisoka and Cholleo in terms of raw power, just wondering if they fight, who would win. Wonder why Hisoka never challenged Netero. He obviously think himself stronger then any of the other spiders and there really are few people that he will consider fun to fight. I would have thought he would think Netero just as a juicy a target as Cholleo.
Depends on who makes a tiny slip-up first, right? That was the whole point of Morel's speech. The outcome is never determined until it's over. Hisoka and Chrollo obvious have more experience than a less-than-a-day old ant, but Pitou's got superhuman instincts. So... who knows?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 22:11   Link #3178
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ahh, fuck these ants. >.> They really have to call in the biggest of the big guns to stand a chance.

And Killua is definitely a bro for reading what Gon would do. That's what I like HxH, it isn't just that generic formula of protag rage + power up = bs conclusion. Nope, that gets you killed here.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 22:14   Link #3179
kakakka

In terms of what happened, I side with Killua's decision. While Morel's logic was sound, it is only good when the players know what they're doing. Neferpitou smash in head on full power and the group was thrown disorganized. Morel was not there, but if he was, he would probably face palmed at what Gon did, not praising him. Gon would have walked right into his death if not for Killua.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 01:24   Link #3180
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's complicated.
Finally someone who gets it!
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen