AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-05, 08:26   Link #1
Winter_20XX

Fuhrer Error?

i'm not sure if this topic was brought up already... or has been discussed and concluded somewhere else...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Winter_20XX; 2004-10-05 at 13:58.
Old 2004-10-05, 09:38   Link #2
Mcdonalds

Don't know about that theory of the homunculus not being able to move after they get too close. As far as i can tell, its only when they touch it that they are immobilised. Thats why greed and lust (although she freezes on a few occasions) even when the things are in their sight and close to them. Its only the actual part touches them (when the fuehrer puts it in the safe, its wrapped up). For Sloth although the bone was in the case, she actually absorbs the lot (due to her make up of water i think).
Old 2004-10-05, 09:44   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, but Mustang never put the skull in contact with Pride, he just holds it there, and there are quite some distance between Pride and the skull. yup it's really strange. When Selim hold the skull up to Pride, Pride is still able to crush his neck and throw him away, but when Mustang hold it up across the room, he's immobilized...

I always think the whole Pride vs. Mustang part is just quite badly done...
Old 2004-10-05, 09:51   Link #4
Mcdonalds

the skull was still covered up at the time when selim was holding it up, although i will agree that the whole pride and mustang thing was done badly
Old 2004-10-05, 10:50   Link #5
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

BTW, not much has been said about Fuhrer's past.......how did he turn into an homocunlus ?
same goes for glutonny, but the fuhrer is a more important character......
Old 2004-10-05, 11:56   Link #6
avmoghe

Yes, the fact that it was covered up had a lot to do with it. If I remember correctly Archer or Kimbly was some distance away from Greed in the Devil's nest, and had the skull covered up. Yet greed was able to move. So, yes, covering up does negate the effect.

Distance certainly plays a role as well (since technically speaking, at ANY point in time, the skull, or other body part, is always at SOME distance away from the Homunculus at all time). It has the potential to stop them only when it gets within X meters.

As far as what X is...
I would guess that Lust was too far away in episode 42 to have an effect and so was Greed in episode 33.

Pride was definitely inside the range in episode 51, unable to move after it was uncovered. Obviously, the part being inside the body of the homunculus has the freezing effect as seen by Sloth's demise.

Just what I've understood from the series.
Old 2004-10-05, 12:05   Link #7
dreamless

but the covered up skull affected Pride quite a lot even when it's wrapped around in bandage and put inside a bag, which was not in touch with Pride.
Old 2004-10-05, 13:02   Link #8
avmoghe

Certainly it had an effect. Even watching his own bones (though he was sufficiently far away) did seem to have an effect on Greed. However, the effect was not an inability to move.

What I was addressing is when the Homunculus is frozen.. unable to move.
I was stating that in order to have a freezing effect (unable to move effect) the part needs to be uncovered AND within a certain distance X.

I haven't seen the series again, so that might be wrong.. But the above was the explanation that presented itself to my mind when I saw the episodes. The only instance that I can remember where the above might not be true was when Lust flung away the necklace.... but that might have been because she was able to get it away before it got too close to her using a light touch with her nails ("dead cells in the body" if I remember from biology).

As I said, I might be wrong.. need to watch the whole series again.

I've yet to pass judgement on the series as a whole... I cant do it until I find my favorite kitchen utensil.
Old 2004-10-05, 13:15   Link #9
Oneiropolos
Kuruizaki -Takamichi

I would almost say that the intent could even come into play a bit and how much the homunculus is focusing on the object. I think the reason Lust had such trouble with the locket was her memories playing havoc with her. The homunculus have to be aware the object is nearby and have to be confronted with it (After all Lust was near to Scar that entire time, but when he revealed the locket, that's when she froze.) I almost believe it's something that happens almost entirely internally that the object just magnifies. Look at Wrath. He goes crazy at the cry of the baby. This isn't because the baby's cry is magical, it's just that it traps him in his memories. It's the memories that cause the homunculus problems moreso than the object.
Old 2004-10-05, 14:30   Link #10
Winter_20XX

This homunculus theory sorta puzzles me...

I believe the first instance of this was with greed... and if i still remember correctly... we saw greed grab his chest first before we seen bones (of which, we did not know who they were until "lyla" stated it)... since we saw greed grab his chest first... then see him look at the bones and we're shown the bones... we can say that... greed felt the presents of his remains before he actually saw them with his own eyes... so the weakness cannot be psychological or memory involvement...

The second instance was with Lust... on ep. 41 i think it was... her weakness was a piece of hair from her human body... which was a surprise since scar suddenly brought it out disprite all that trouble he went through (falling into a sewer, lost his jacket in the central library, being chased "around the world"), he still somehow had the necklace on him... and clearly... that piece of hair was covered up within the necklace... so i believe that the cover up or not of a humunculus' remain does not effect on how they become paralyze... but indeed, it was quite odd for scar to suddenly pull it out and Lust faints immediately... i can only conclude that that was for dramatic effect by the director...

The third instance was with Lust again on ep 48 or so... when she knocked the necklace away? The only explanation i could think of on how she was able to knock the necklace away from her is because her arms were already in motion... so she froze on the moment it got close but her arms continue to move and knock it away... that's assuming you dont freeze the instancely... ^^

The fourth instant was with sloth on ep 48 i think it was... sloth's weakness wasnt clear as to what exactly it was... i believe it was contained within that wooden box we saw... so covering up or not of a homunculus' remain does not matter at all...

I have always believed that distance was the only factor into a homunculus' weakness... and from the first ep. where we get to see the effects of a homunculus' weakness had on a homunculus', the greed ep... i concluded that the weakness was effect by distance... we saw that greed was still able to move... but not as quickly, almost like his foot is being suck to the ground and it looked like he was tryin to drag himself out... if you compare that to lust's instance... her remains were right up to her face... and could not move to drag herself out of the alchemy array... for the fight scene after greed dragged himself out... i think the distance was ignore for us to enjoy a good fight scene... ^^

But back to the fuher's weakness... judging from my thoughts on how the homunculus' weakness works... the fact that the fuher was able to put his own remains into a safe made no sense... x_X;;

And yes, i think bones didnt construct a simple and consistant theory on how homunculus' weakness work... -_-
Old 2004-10-05, 19:51   Link #11
Rue

Send a message via AIM to Rue
Maybe because the skull was inside.. a box?
Old 2004-10-06, 01:37   Link #12
Rizzler
Banned

manga

(posr removed)
Old 2004-10-06, 05:55   Link #13
WabukiSensei
Chillin out

Did pride actually kill selim during the last episode?
Old 2004-10-06, 07:23   Link #14
CaSe-
胸のひねること

Quote:
Originally Posted by WabukiSensei
Did pride actually kill selim during the last episode?
Yeah, he strangled him.
Old 2004-10-06, 07:47   Link #15
dreamless

I think he actually crushed Selim's neck...
Old 2004-10-06, 15:29   Link #16
animedudematt

Yeah the further killing his son was pretty gross...poor kid
Old 2004-10-07, 14:58   Link #17
Winter_20XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
Hey, he doesn't have to be the one who put the skull in the safe... maybe he asked someone to do it for him...
That's a possibility... but it wouldnt make sense if you consider the surrounding and the possible reason on why would he open the safe again... just to look at it...? o_O;; and he was pretty close to it... ^^
Old 2004-10-07, 15:54   Link #18
Joe Dalton

wooooh it's Joe to the rescue.
As stated above how this works is not explained in exact detail, all we know is it's their weaknes.
So we don't know the exact effect. (though I agree covering it up seems to have a large impact.)
Now ask yourself.
Does not knowing the exact details of how this works effect the story in any way? If they had given the exact explination the story would have been exactly the same.

It's easy to create a stupid rule for how everything happens. But frankly. It's a cheap method to make a more acceptable world for some people who need something like that in order to get involved in a story.

Now for those of you having trouble understanding or accepting this... here is a DBZ card... go play.
Old 2004-10-07, 17:55   Link #19
Winter_20XX

lol... nono... i just find it odd that he was able to do that... o_O;;

its just a something i was curious about... since a child may even wonder how did he put his dead body stuff inside the safe if you pointed that out to them... so my point is... its not clear, simple, and obvious on how this weakness thing works...

so, i concluded that it was bone's mistake since no one else could think of an explanation... >_<
Old 2004-10-07, 20:02   Link #20
Joe Dalton

A strike and a mis... but at least you tried.
Closed Thread