AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2016-02-05, 02:34   Link #58361
Eratas123

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-34 View Post
I haven't seen any of your fics, and I wanted to read them but nobody listed any fics when I asked if anyone had any.

Desert Eagle was the first thing that popped into my head, but I did include the BPV, which is way better than leather.

Anyway, basically. No matter how much skill you have, if your tech is absolutely outclassed you don't stand a chance. Case closed.

Anywho, I'm rather confused as to why nobody has an IS flamethrower. And before someone says "THEY'RE FIREPROOF!" Why not just make it so hot, or maybe acidic, that it doesn't matter? I mean, White Phosphorus. Tasers I get, they can't really inflict IS damage. Acid and Lava however, can. I know they wanted to stick with basic classes: Balanced and idiotic Protagonist, Snooty Sniper, I can throw my dual-sided sword which isn't compensating for anything (Flat), Look at my huge cannon and I'm not compensating for anything (My flat chest), Missile Boat Explosion Waiting to Happen, Mid Range angel with a shotgun and then there's Katara from Avatar the Last Airbender... Why can't they just have something actually fun to play with??? Like, some of the fans have better ideas than this. Oh, I forgot Houki.... Um.... BANZAI! There we go.
In-universe, IS are supposed to be sports machines. Crowd bias probably plays a factor here - Lasers, lightsabers and various other sci-fi weapons are likely given a pass since audiences are desensitized to their usage being 'harmless' through media - Lasers more often than not leave clean little holes in fiction compared to guns that leave more graphic wounds.

I mean even Cecilia, who uses a basic gun, has her sniper rifle \look like some kind of digistructed firearm straight out of Borderlands. The only one who uses conventional weaponry is Charlotte, and that's noted to be last gen.

That and if the flamethrower is, as you suggested, hot enough to melt through the IS wouldn't the person underneath melt too? With the other weapons you can assume the shield blocks it, but a flamethrower melting the chassis would just kill the pilot period. Nevermind white phosphorous which could again bypass the shield since it's gas and could possibly spread to the audience watching.
Old 2016-02-05, 04:24   Link #58362
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Anyway, basically. No matter how much skill you have, if your tech is absolutely outclassed you don't stand a chance. Case closed.
- General rule is: You're right, better tech will always win.

But in other situations it will depend. Rememebr the US spent a lot of time and money trying to develop a ballpoint pen that could write in zero gravity, while the russians just kept using pencils.

Quote:
Anywho, I'm rather confused as to why nobody has an IS flamethrower.
- Nobody ever thought of it. Which now that I think about it, we have anb IS that controls water (Mysterious Lady) and I think one of the new characters in the LN has a wind-controlling IS?

If that's the case, you might not even need an actual flamethrower, just have the IS control actual flames. For 4th gen IS and up.

EDIT: Giving it another think, I wish Izuru did his research a bit more. IS are converted into quantum data when not in use and their ammunition [i](Solid Fuel, such as gunpowder)[i] are also converted to quantum digital info. I just thought of a potential problem for an IS with a normal old-school flamethrower: What happens to the napalm when it's converted to and from Quantum DatA...and is there a risk that the an IS may accidentally catch fire or explode when unstable flammable fuel is converted from one form to the other?
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-05, 17:16   Link #58363
S-34
Mechwarrior

Yeah, it might explode... I just want some cooler ideas in the anime, manga, LN... I'm tired of seeing Laser Rifles, Railguns, and other stereotypical sci-fi weapons. I mean, LOVE sci-fi, but can you at least do it some justice by making the weapons not cliche? I mean, Missile Boat Explosion Waiting to Happen at least had Macross Missile Massacre... I guess it's impossible to escape the established weaponry, but at least make the stuff cool... I mean, even if it means going back to old-schoolish weapons, that'd be cool. Even the Bren LMG would be nice to see... I actually loved that gun.

Maybe something to fit a direct hand to hand combat scenario, add laser blades to the hands and feet or something... I honestly expected some country to do this. Maybe make something more mech-like, since I'm sure there's some extra space in the legs. Do reverse joints that function as the highest damage weapon (On the IS Unit)with kicking... SOMETHING PLEASE!
Eheheh...
S-34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-05, 18:31   Link #58364
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Maybe something to fit a direct hand to hand combat scenario, add laser blades to the hands and feet or something... I honestly expected some country to do this. Maybe make something more mech-like, since I'm sure there's some extra space in the legs. Do reverse joints that function as the highest damage weapon (On the IS Unit)with kicking... SOMETHING PLEASE!
- .....*

...should I risk revealing what I'm doing with an IS in one of my stalled fics?

The reason I don't want to is because: 1.) I'm having difficulty writing the story and characters through and 2.) The unique IS in this fic have abilities that are a major plot point
Old 2016-02-05, 20:45   Link #58365
S-34
Mechwarrior

Can I see some of your fics please? I'd appreciate it. Or you could just tell me what to search. I'm assuming the one fic in your weebly isn't the only one?

Nah, I don't suggest risking it.
Having difficulty writing canon or non-canon characters? One good way to set up a character is to get someone to Rp with you. I've seen some people turn an RP into a fleshed out story.
Eheheh...
Old 2016-02-05, 21:56   Link #58366
Router25
World Connector. I think

Quote:
I think the established rule in IS warfare is safety in distance/ run and gun, unless unparalleled mobility (maybe also an immobilizer) and an effective melee attack is at your side.
Old 2016-02-05, 22:38   Link #58367
lovetospoon73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
In-universe, IS are supposed to be sports machines. Crowd bias probably plays a factor here - Lasers, lightsabers and various other sci-fi weapons are likely given a pass since audiences are desensitized to their usage being 'harmless' through media - Lasers more often than not leave clean little holes in fiction compared to guns that leave more graphic wounds.

I mean even Cecilia, who uses a basic gun, has her sniper rifle \look like some kind of digistructed firearm straight out of Borderlands. The only one who uses conventional weaponry is Charlotte, and that's noted to be last gen.

That and if the flamethrower is, as you suggested, hot enough to melt through the IS wouldn't the person underneath melt too? With the other weapons you can assume the shield blocks it, but a flamethrower melting the chassis would just kill the pilot period. Nevermind white phosphorous which could again bypass the shield since it's gas and could possibly spread to the audience watching.
Yeah but they're huge & cause massive destruction, plus it also caused children (mainly girls) turn into show dogs (as in being show off how superior their IS is & the family/country they came from)

Last edited by lovetospoon73; 2016-02-06 at 08:10.
lovetospoon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-05, 23:18   Link #58368
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Can I see some of your fics please? I'd appreciate it. Or you could just tell me what to search. I'm assuming the one fic in your weebly isn't the only one?
- I wrote the fics here on the threads as a chapter-by-chapter. One is on Weebly, my others are on fanfiction.net and more on character than tech so far. The one I'm currently stuck on writing (and not yet posted) is more IS tech-heavy.

The IS Gaiden [Ren] story's Chapter 2 has her fight Autumn. It goes about as well as you'd expect. Yes, even being an uber badass ninja won't stop a low-tier IS pilot from turning you into guacamole.
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3295023/
Old 2016-02-06, 09:07   Link #58369
The 48th Ronin

Do you guys think IS are effective dragonslayers?
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-06, 18:09   Link #58370
S-34
Mechwarrior

Depends on the Dragon. Not always, but if it's a low class then maybe.

Anywho, run and gun might be how most people fight, but if you've played any amount of COD, you'll know that melee hurts... Alot. Dodging bullets isn't as hard in suits like those, and if their aim isn't perfect, you'll win with a couple kicks. Or you could have some sort of jammer/something to snag their lock-on if they have any. I doubt they can manually aim this stuff at the speed of their target.
Eheheh...
Old 2016-02-06, 22:15   Link #58371
NatokoMizuki
Ace of Zeta

Uhm...this is where you post your fanfiction ideas, right?
How about an IS series without Ichika? I know that it sounds cliche, but removing him and turn the story on a more Magical Girl-ish path with a bunch of mecha added on:

Houki will be the strong willed, archaic samurai main hero who only connection with her sister is a special katana named Hikiage Kokoro that can change form depending on it's Hamon line (ex: If the hamon is a midare hamon, the blade will transform into a khukuri-like form that can be thrown like a boomerang, if the hamon is a gunome togare form, it'll transform into a gigantic blade that resemble an overly-designed wolf fang.)

Cecilia will become the rich friend who seems a bit snobby and uptight, but is actually a nice person at heart aside from some flaws like her ego and pride.

Lingyin will be the childhood friend who is a bit childish, tomboy-ish and energetic, who want's to make her father proud by being the best IS pilot. Basically a Shounen manga hero.

Charlotte will be the sweet but street-wise friend with a kind-of-sad past who turn serious when facing danger or important task at hand and a tease (think Hayate combined with the original Charlotte).

Laura will become the silent rival who have a tragic past, who will later be "befriended" by Houki and it's revealed that she isn't used to a friendly, loving enviroment. (sort of like Fate)

Chifuyu will become sort of a mentor figure (who won't end up like Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan) who will slowly mold Houki into a better person, teach her that there's more to living than trying to find a perfect opponent. (the urge to give her a crutch and some black glasses are rising, yes...)

---Kidou Shoujo Infinite Stratos---
...soooo, what do you guys think?

~From the Star of Water~

Last edited by NatokoMizuki; 2016-02-06 at 22:39.
NatokoMizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-06, 23:31   Link #58372
demino_hellsin
That one guy

That moment when someone new appreciates the ideas suggested thousands of pages ago.

Old 2016-02-06, 23:56   Link #58373
The 48th Ronin

But nobody thought of making a gender-bend version of IS. Imagine female Ichika.

Anyways, I'm running out of ideas. I think I might settle with a story where young Ichika got kidnapped by PT and successfully converted into a super soldier, but escaped before he got the brainwashing treatment.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 00:31   Link #58374
NatokoMizuki
Ace of Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
That moment when someone new appreciates the ideas suggested thousands of pages ago.

Is it...really that great...or bad?
I just take a simple idea (take out the harem details) and touch it up a bit.
Is it really that bad/good ?

~From the Star of Water~
Old 2016-02-07, 00:45   Link #58375
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Actually a very very good idea that a lot of people hated on. At least from my point of view.
Old 2016-02-07, 00:51   Link #58376
NatokoMizuki
Ace of Zeta

Quote:
Actually a very very good idea that a lot of people hated on. At least from my point of view.
Why would people hate on it though? The girls are more characters than they are trophies in this idea, and without the harem plot getting in the way, the character could be given more character development time and character interaction moments.

Then again, I like Nanoha, and my ideas of story telling may not be the same as everyone else...

~From the Star of Water~
Old 2016-02-07, 00:57   Link #58377
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Well some people think IS is built on Ichika being the special snowflake so yeah.
Old 2016-02-07, 01:04   Link #58378
NatokoMizuki
Ace of Zeta

Quote:
Well some people think IS is built on Ichika being the special snowflake so yeah.
Well, everyone have their own opinion. Forcing mine onto them isn't going to do anything. Infinite Stratos draws me in because of the concept of what is essentially Mahou Shoujou + Mecha (with actual mecha parts), with the "harem" thing being the same as an EA brand.
If they liked it because it's a generic Mary Sue anime, then okay, you do you and I do me.

~From the Star of Water~
Old 2016-02-07, 02:07   Link #58379
SRW-Otaku
The Corniest Mecha Fanboy

Sis? Is that you? What are you doing here? Never knew you're into things like forums.

The thing that formed my childhood...
SRW-Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 02:18   Link #58380
NatokoMizuki
Ace of Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW-Otaku View Post
Sis? Is that you? What are you doing here? Never knew you're into things like forums.
Kha? So you're on this forum, too. Well, remember to be nice to the folks, okay?
Also, have my young idiotic Otaku brother did anything bad around here? If he did, feel free to tell me and i'll give him an earful on Skype later.

~From the Star of Water~

Last edited by NatokoMizuki; 2016-02-07 at 02:31.

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest