AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: -Your- picks for the best songs in Macross Frontier [Multiple-pick Option Enabled]
Welcome To My FanClub's Night! 67 21.34%
Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 108 34.39%
Aimo ~Tori no Hito 83 26.43%
Infinity 84 26.75%
Diamond Crevasse ~Sheryl Only♥ 184 58.60%
Northern Cross 150 47.77%
Anata no Oto 55 17.52%
Seikan Hikōu 82 26.11%
Yousei 98 31.21%
Ai Oboete Imasu ka ~Ranka 76 24.20%
Watashi no Kare wa Pilot 30 9.55%
Lion 165 52.55%
Diamond Crevasse 50/50 36 11.46%
Aoi no Ether 49 15.61%
Neko Nikki 20 6.37%
Nyan Nyan Service Medley 101 32.17%
What 'bout my star?@Formo 109 34.71%
Triangler ~ Maaya Sakomoto 71 22.61%
Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late 88 28.03%
What 'bout my star? ~Sheryl 78 24.84%
Aimo OC 52 16.56%
Triangular - Duet - 93 29.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-06-10, 05:58   Link #241
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

^Before End of Eva, which anime OST did the same feat? Macross 7?
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 06:10   Link #242
Westlo
Lets be reality

Considering Evangelion's popularity probably the Death and Rebirth OST lol... I'm think I'll sign up for jpopmusic and ask if anyone has records on just anime osts.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 13:16   Link #243
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

my fav song is nyan nyan (dont ask why) in the ost, i think it is sung in mandarin, could someone give me the lyrics in kanji plz, i can translate it myself.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 16:00   Link #244
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
From Macross World

Yeah that's pretty big.
How'd I know you be the first person to break this news here.

Either way, not surprised, Yoko Kanno+Macross+Pop Music=Three in one Grand Slam of appeal to the Otaku fanbase.

It's quite ingenious.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 16:45   Link #245
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
my fav song is nyan nyan (dont ask why) in the ost, i think it is sung in mandarin, could someone give me the lyrics in kanji plz, i can translate it myself.
Its like some Chinese written with Japanese grammar, a bit of English and a little Zentradi.

好極來來﹐美姑娘
娘娘娘娘﹐你好娘

gorgeous, delicious

deculture!

- Tak (no, it doesn't make any sense in any of the four languages listed above)
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 18:25   Link #246
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Its like some Chinese written with Japanese grammar, a bit of English and a little Zentradi.

好極來來﹐美姑娘
娘娘娘娘﹐你好娘

gorgeous, delicious

deculture!

thanks man
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 20:23   Link #247
UltimateClash

I know it's probably been mentioned before, and many, many times, but:

This OST puts the F in awesome.
UltimateClash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 22:51   Link #248
4Tran

Quote:
From Macross World
Quote:
How significant is Macross OST being in the top 3 of the ORICON charts?

According to this article:
http://mainichi.jp/enta/mantan/news/...0c.html?inb=rs
the last time an anime OST was in the top 3 was 11 years ago, the End of Eva soundtrack! So it is one heck of a big deal!

things are sure looking good! I bet Ranka's single is gonna do great!
Yeah that's pretty big.
Eleven years is very impressive. I get the feeling that the Macross products are selling better than the creators ever expected. Heck, Kanno Yoko has been blowing all of her previous works away in terms of sales. It really helps that the show itself has done a fantastic job in promoting the music without resorting to pandering.

On a slightly different note, I thought that most anime OST CDs would have 2-4 vocal tracks, and the rest would be BGM. In OST 1, we've got:
  1. Triangular
  2. Welcome To My FanClub's Night
  3. What 'Bout My Star
  4. What 'Bout My Star
  5. Don't be Late
  6. Aimo
  7. Aimo
  8. SMS
  9. Ninjin Loves You, Yeah
  10. Nyan Nyan
  11. Infinity
Admittedly a couple are remixes and a couple are short, but that seems to be an awful lot of vocals.
Old 2008-06-10, 23:21   Link #249
ani_d

I didn't know there was a Macross radio show in the official webpage starring Nakamura Yuuichi (Alto), Megumi Nakajima (Ranka), and Kamiya Hiroshi (Mikhail). Verrry interesting.

Here's the link for people who understand Japanese. ^_^

http://www.macrossf.com/radio/radio.html

The latest link has Nakamura, Megumi, and Kamiya as hosts. (Macross phase crushaa lol)

I only understood 60% of it They talk so fast I couldn't keep up.

Spoiler for a little summary of the highlights:

Then the older link features the 3 again, PLUS Aya Endo. Macross Frontoyarinikui (sp??)

Spoiler for highlights:

At the end, they always say, see you next week. So looks like this'll be a weekly thing.
ani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 23:58   Link #250
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

That's just AWESOME news about the OST doing so well.

Congrats to Yoko Kanno and crew for releasing an SUPERB OST.

I already have my copy purchased.
pinoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 01:53   Link #251
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Megumi said she loves Shawn Michaels. (Cool.)

At the end, they always say, see you next week. So looks like this'll be a weekly thing.
Yeah it's a weekly thing and that's just awesome that Megumi is a HBK mark lol, Alto and her should do a version of HBK's theme song
Old 2008-06-11, 02:17   Link #252
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

The more I listen to this Macross F OST1 the more I am liking it. It just keeps growing on you. Listening to Tracks 2 through 4 with Sheryl in a "Live Concert" kind of setting it made me start thinking. If the animators actually made an entire OST/OVA type production which was nothing but Sheryl and Ranka (perhaps later in the series) in a Live Duo Concert animated and with quality songs and DTS sound I think people would be lined up to buy it. It would be kind of like a Live DVD concert but obviously animated. It would be a lot of animation but I think it would be cool and I believe the first of it's kind.
kilroy0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 02:27   Link #253
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I'd still give Nakajima and May N' more credit (the former the most) then I'd give Yoko Kanno for this. They pretty much carried the OST. All of the instrumental BGM while decent don't really stand out all that much, but the vocal tracks (even the ones I don't particularly care for) sure do. Yoko Kanno only did half the OST alone.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 02:56   Link #254
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Kolewa nani?

Macross F - Lion / Mayn Ai Nakajima
Release Date Aug 06, 2008

Genre Soundtrack
Version Japan
PAX-Code PAX0002227952
Catalog No. VTCL-35033
Item Code 4580226562095

Source

Ai Nakagima and Mayn also kicks ass BTW. The success of that album is certainly shared between those two and Kanno.
Old 2008-06-11, 03:10   Link #255
Westlo
Lets be reality

That's for the upcoming cd single for the new OP/ED themes.

OP = Lion (May'n & Nakajima)
ED = Northern Cross (May'n)

Looking forward to how they use Sheryl's Northern Cross in the show... Frontier has used it's ending themes really well in episodes 6, 7 and 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
The more I listen to this Macross F OST1 the more I am liking it. It just keeps growing on you. Listening to Tracks 2 through 4 with Sheryl in a "Live Concert" kind of setting it made me start thinking. If the animators actually made an entire OST/OVA type production which was nothing but Sheryl and Ranka (perhaps later in the series) in a Live Duo Concert animated and with quality songs and DTS sound I think people would be lined up to buy it. It would be kind of like a Live DVD concert but obviously animated. It would be a lot of animation but I think it would be cool and I believe the first of it's kind.
Quite a few people have been hoping for something like a Sheryl version of Macross Flashback 2012. That would be one awesome bonus to be included on the last dvd volume...
Old 2008-06-11, 03:27   Link #256
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
That's for the upcoming cd single for the new OP/ED themes.

OP = Lion (May'n & Nakajima)
ED = Northern Cross (May'n)

Looking forward to how they use Sheryl's Northern Cross in the show... Frontier has used it's ending themes really well in episodes 6, 7 and 10.

Quite a few people have been hoping for something like a Sheryl version of Macross Flashback 2012. That would be one awesome bonus to be included on the last dvd volume...
You are right there with the answers. Thank you.

Yes a Sheryl version of Macross Flashback 2012 would be nice. Add some good recording studio DTS 7.1 sound for people with good setups and you can really put the listener into the action by making it sound like a live concert. I don't think it would be added to the last DVD volume of the series unless they have a spoiler extra chapter to promote a separate DVD release which I would think is more likely. Regardless I would certainly own it if it were released. Hell I would even get a DVD player with Region 2 capabilities just for something like this.

Also I came across this:

M-1:Seikan Hikou (Interstellar Flight)
Lyrics:Takashi Matsumoto
Composer and Arranger:Yoko Kanno

M-2:Neko Nikki (Cat Diary)
Lyrics:Hiroshi Ichikura
Composer and Arranger:Yoko Kanno

M-3: Ai Oboete Imasu Ka (Deculture Edition Size)Do You Remember Love
Lyrics: Kazumi Yasui
Composer: Kazuhiko Katou
Arranger: Yoko Kanno

M-4: Watashi no Kare wa Pilot - Miss Macross 2059(My Boyfriend is a Pilot)
Lyrics: Akane Osa
Composer: Kentaro Haneda
Arranger: Hisaaki Hogari, Yoko Kanno

M-5: Seikan Hikou (Interstellar Flight) instrumental

M-6: Ai Oboete Imasu Ka (Deculture Edition Size)Do You Remember Love instrumental

Source
Old 2008-06-11, 03:44   Link #257
Westlo
Lets be reality

Yeah just keep up with that GR blog for the latest stuff on music for this series.

Here's a vid for My Boyfriend is a Pilot/Interstellar Flight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4x1x9SV2H4

I think this was off the Macross Radio show, should hear Lion/Northern Cross on it in a few weeks.
Old 2008-06-11, 05:37   Link #258
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'd still give Nakajima and May N' more credit (the former the most) then I'd give Yoko Kanno for this. They pretty much carried the OST. All of the instrumental BGM while decent don't really stand out all that much, but the vocal tracks (even the ones I don't particularly care for) sure do. Yoko Kanno only did half the OST alone.
I'd agree that the BGM alone were but only average Kanno works compared to her earlier CDs and didn't stand out too much, but this is after all an anime half about LISTENing TO (MY) SONGs and Kanno probably wouldn't want the BGM to steal the limelight from the vocal tracks.

You could say that she is the Kanno Youko and that she did not live up to expectations by balancing stellar BGM and vocals together well, but IMHO this is the result that Kanno, and most probably Kawamori, desired from the overall soundtrack(BGM and vocals), given that they both had to have a hand in the selection process that brought Nakajima and May'n into the limelight via picking them as voices to fit their predetermined 'Macross sound'.

tl;dr I'm sorry to say that I have a little more confidence in Kanno.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 16:52   Link #259
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

好極來來﹐美姑娘
娘娘娘娘﹐你好娘

gorgeous, delicious

deculture!

It does kinda make sense. The mandarin Chinese speakers in this forum should know that 你好娘 (Ni Hao Niang) is a slangy way of saying "You're very/so gay", right? If you live in Taiwan or developed part of mainland China, and you want to call out a guy for acting a bit feminine, you will say EXACTLY, "Ni Hao Niang".

So when Ranka sang this song in front of Hime-sama, she was basically telling him "gay gay gay gay, you're so gay!" When they planned this scene, they must have known right?? If they didn't, wow, what a wonderfully appropriate comedic gold here.

The possible misuse is due to the fact that, Ni Hao (你好) is a Chinese greeting meaning "Hello" and that's well known among average Japanese. What they wanted to do was to say Ni Hao in the lyrics, but add a very cute Ranka "nyan" at the end, so "Ni Hao Niang" was born. The Japanese creators did not know, however, that the "Hao" in "Ni Hao" is also an adverb meaning "very", and that 娘 (Niang, or Musume in Japanese) is a slang used to describe a guy acting in feminine ways. Thus when they created this jingo song, they thought they were making Ranka Cho-kawaii, but instead they actually have her unintentionally offend every single Chinese-speaking male customer of the Niang Niang Restaurant (unless they happen to be really Niang, like, eh, Alto ). Ozuma Lee, a Chinese speaking Manly Man, would probably not want to eat at Niang Niang.

BTW, The OST is a major win. I do think that it sold so many copies because, well, it really saved a lot of people the need to buy at least 3 or 4 singles. Of coursed the otakus will collect them all, but the casual anime fans would be fine just getting the OST. I can feel that Kanno-sama is having a lot of fun making tributes to Hollywood adventure and sci-fi films scores with this OST... I can smell tributes to Raiders of the Lost Arc, Pirates of the Caribbean, Top Gun, and of course, Star Wars. It's just a fun OST to listen to.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 17:41   Link #260
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
It does kinda make sense. The mandarin Chinese speakers in this forum should know that 你好娘 (Ni Hao Niang) is a slangy way of saying "You're very/so gay", right?
You know, having been raised in a certain puny East-Asian island and some goddess-forsaken archipelago, this is probably the first time I heard this expression. And I have yet to hear it or use it in a normal conversation. Usually you'd add a couple more words to that, and it'd mean "he sounds feminine, or he sounds gay", but it does not necessarily mean "you are gay".

I can only guess the Japanese producers got smart and sliced off a word or two while retaining the same overall meaning, if, and I mean if that was their intention.

Quote:
So when Ranka sang this song in front of Hime-sama, she was basically telling him "gay gay gay gay, you're so gay!" When they planned this scene, they must have known right?? If they didn't, wow, what a wonderfully appropriate comedic gold here.
I am willing to give them the benefit of doubt, well, at least 50%. I will treat the other 50% as a 'wonderfully appropriate comedic gold".

Quote:
The possible misuse is due to the fact that, Ni Hao (你好) is a Chinese greeting meaning "Hello" and that's well known among average Japanese. What they wanted to do was to say Ni Hao in the lyrics, but add a very cute Ranka "nyan" at the end, so "Ni Hao Niang" was born. The Japanese creators did not know, however, that the "Hao" in "Ni Hao" is also an adverb meaning "very", and that 娘 (Niang, or Musume in Japanese) is a slang used to describe a guy acting in feminine ways. Thus when they created this jingo song, they thought they were making Ranka Cho-kawaii, but instead they actually have her unintentionally offend every single Chinese-speaking male customer of the Niang Niang Restaurant (unless they happen to be really Niang, like, eh, Alto ). Ozuma Lee, a Chinese speaking Manly Man, would probably not want to eat at Niang Niang.
Or, since Japanese grammar would require an affirmation at the end of each sentence, thus the phrase "Ni Hao Nyan" was born. And this is typical in many pseudo-Chinese sentences created in Japanese pop culture, using Chinese phrases with Japanese grammar. If you seen one, well, you know what to expect.

Therefore, if the creators were intentional, than that would be pure genius. If not, well, its an expected mistake.

And I think Ozuma is half Japanese. Although RANKA is definitely a Chinese name using Japanese phonics. Her name is probably 李蘭花 (which again, very typical Japanese-made Chinese name).

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music