AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Favourite Character(s) Poll [First Part]
Servant Saber - King of Knights, Arturia Pendragon 90 33.83%
Saber's Master - Magus Killer, Emiya Kiritsugu 89 33.46%
Servant Archer - King of Heroes, Gilgamesh 91 34.21%
Archer's Master - Magus Partiarch, Tohsaka Tokiyomi 14 5.26%
Servant Lancer - Fianna Knight, Diarmuid O'Dyna 68 25.56%
Lancer's Master - Lord El-Melloi, Kayneth Archibald 16 6.02%
Servant Rider - King of Conquerors, Iskandar 155 58.27%
Rider's Master - Magus Student, Waver Velvet 49 18.42%
Servant Caster - Bluebeard, Gilles de Rais 30 11.28%
Caster's Master - Serial Killer, Uryuu Ryuunosuke 26 9.77%
Servant Berserker - Black Knight, ???? 60 22.56%
Berserker's Master - Crest Worms Magus, Matou Kariya 92 34.59%
Servant Assassin - Old Man of Mountain, Hassan-i Sabbah 6 2.26%
Assassin's Master - Church Executor, Kotomine Kirei 65 24.44%
Irisviel von Einzbern 113 42.48%
Hisau Maiya 24 9.02%
Sola-Ui Nuaba-Re Sophia-Ri 11 4.14%
Others 20 7.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-05, 22:16   Link #81
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Well on the subject of Irisviel I can't blame anyone for having a hard time defining her character. She's got more personality than Kariya but that's not really saying much considering it was only more than zero. It especially doesn't help that almost every time we see her that there's someone around who leaves a much stronger impression. Irisviel might have been more memorable in a less epic setting but as it stands she's mild salsa among blazing hot sauce; a victim of circumstance.
I actually disagree. I find Maiya, Kiritsugu and Saber to be completely forgettable around Irisviel (the first two in particular). They are too stoic and slightly colorless in terms of temper while she foils them by being peppy, supporting and gentle. Otherwise, we'll see just grim faced people gritting their teeth, without her trying to build a bridge of understanding.

In terms of her role in the large plot, she's more important than any of those three. Those who know what the Einzbern bring to the war will know what I'm talking about.

Kariya has a lot of personality. Sadly he lacks screen time since they cut down some of his scenes. He'll be everywhere in next cour, though.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2012-01-05 at 23:45.
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 00:35   Link #82
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
Rider doesn't care about his historical records at all.
Rider doesn't but, Iksander, King of Conquerors sure did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPE-MOON Wiki
The King spoke of his reasons. His goal was the end of the world. His destination the furthest border of the East. He wanted to behold Oceanus with his own two eyes. He wanted to leave his footprints at the beach beside that endless sea. No one believed him, but this man brought his army away with him continuing towards the East. The defeated generals finally understood... the tyrant wasn't lying.
Rider has history like every other character, and it's an important part of understanding who it is. You seem to be viewing the jolly big guy through a rose-tinted lens. But alas, he was not always a carefree goof...

To quote episode 11: "The king does not make sacrifices. We are heroes because we are tyrants." Part of his self-centered ideology still exists today. Unlike Saber, he believes in tyrannical rule and rejects the concept of altruism.

Quote:
All for the sake of her goal, including killing her son, Mordred, when he rose against her.
Killing Mordred did not have anything to do with her goal. If you wanted to go that far, Mordred technically wasn't even her son; he was a homunculus born within the womb of her sister, using her DNA. If anything, he's more of a clone. So essentially, Saber killed a clone of herself, but only because he proactively attacked and ultimately killed her. Even in her final breaths, she thought only about her country. No wrongful blood on her hands there.

Last edited by SJCrew; 2012-01-06 at 01:25.
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 01:18   Link #83
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
In terms of her role in the large plot, she's more important than any of those three. Those who know what the Einzbern bring to the war will know what I'm talking about.

Kariya has a lot of personality. Sadly he lacks screen time since they cut down some of his scenes. He'll be everywhere in next cour, though.
I didn't say it was hard to evaluate Iri's significance, just her character. And anything that might happen later on is irrelevant as I'm talking about the series in its current state, not possible one. Hopefully the second season fleshes out Kariya more, but I'm not holding my breath.

And okay, so Iri foils the others, but so do Rider and Waver, or Kayneth and Lancer. But at least either person from both duos didn't get overtaken by the personality of the other (but whether I like Waver or Kayneth is a different story).
GANBARIMASU

Last edited by Akito Kinomoto; 2012-01-06 at 01:44.
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 02:13   Link #84
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
Rider doesn't but, Iksander, King of Conquerors sure did.
Nasuverse =/= True take of legends or history. Or is King Arthur a 14 years old moe girl? I didn't think so.

Rider IS Iskandar Nasuverse style. He is not really short, bishounen or bitchy or cares about history books. He is pretty much the closest of a shounen hero Fate/Zero has.

Hell, Gilgamesh is the BEST RULER EVER in the epic (after he wises up), but in Nasuverse he destroyed his own kingdom which is against his portrayal in the legend.

Please don't bring real stuff into Nasuverse.

Quote:
Rider has history like every other character, and it's an important part of understanding who it is. You seem to be viewing the jolly big guy through a rose-tinted lens. But alas, he was not always a carefree goof...
Which is explained via dream and Waver. The historical records were INverse acknowledged as crap, aside of the time when he died, for the record.

Quote:
To quote episode 11: "The king does not make sacrifices. We are heroes because we are tyrants." Part of his self-centered ideology still exists today. Unlike Saber, he believes in tyrannical rule and rejects the concept of altruism.
Yeah, that was before he revealed the King and the Subjects are one and the same in the wishes. The king's wishes are his people's wishes. Why do you think Saber went so emo? She had to eat her judgmental words about him not caring about his followers when he revealed "oh my greatest power/treasure" is basically them.

He means with 'sacrifices' is that he doesn't hold back in his lust and greed for life itself. He doesn't bottle up stuff like Saber does. He has to give an EXAMPLE to his people, because they will copy him. Actually, similar like Saber. Except instead of destroying his humanity like Arturia did, he embraced it fully.

Only that in his case it worked. It worked so well that his defeated enemies abandoned everything to join him.

Saber's all about denial, of the good and the bad of being a person. Rider's all about excess, of the good and the bad. Although both are portrayed on the good scope mostly. They are foils. They are both very idealistic characters, with a different set of dreams that in essence are good, yet to maintain them means sometimes to go warring.

If you want me to give you spoilers of specific selfless actions he makes, yet in his POV aren't sacrifices, I can PM you.

Quote:
Killing Mordred did not have anything to do with her goal. If you wanted to go that far, Mordred technically wasn't even her son; he was a homunculus born within the womb of her sister, using her DNA. If anything, he's more of a clone. So essentially, Saber killed a clone of herself, but only because he proactively attacked and ultimately killed her. Even in her final breaths, she thought only about her country. No wrongful blood on her hands there.
You're missing the point: Mordred loved Saber as a parent. Saber loved him too, but she never allowed herself human feelings. It was all a sad misunderstanding where he thought she hated him for being who he was. And she never meant that.

Of course it's her fault. It was a consequence of how she chose to rule. Do you think that didn't affect her? She felt that she failed so badly even her son (which was the closest she had) turned against her. That makes her all more tragic. It wasn't just the kingdom, but her own blood that wanted to kill her.

Quote:
And okay, so Iri foils the others, but so do Rider and Waver, or Kayneth and Lancer. But at least either person from both duos didn't get overtaken by the personality of the other (but whether I like Waver or Kayneth is a different story).
...When has Iri's personality been overtaken by Saber, Kiritsugu or Maiya? In all the times she's on screen, she easily pushes herself as dominant personality.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2012-01-06, 02:40   Link #85
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
...When has Iri's personality been overtaken by Saber, Kiritsugu or Maiya? In all the times she's on screen, she easily pushes herself as dominant personality.
She doesn't leave as much of an impression as Saber or Kiritsugu. In fairness she's more memorable than Maiya just because of her lack of screen time, but that's it. Almost everyone else has an overbearingly defined "something" to stand out; Saber is proud and chivalrous, Kiritsugu is cold and calculating, Archer is insatiably greedy and Caster is eccentric and creepy. I say overbearingly because they play it closer to extremes whereas Iri is portrayed more normally, which doesn't fit with an anime where almost everything else about it says "I'm epic" or "I stand out."

I'm not saying that I dislike her character. I'm saying she wasn't as memorable as most of the others.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2012-01-06, 12:44   Link #86
Thess

Quote:
She doesn't leave as much of an impression as Saber or Kiritsugu. In fairness she's more memorable than Maiya just because of her lack of screen time, but that's it. Almost everyone else has an overbearingly defined "something" to stand out; Saber is proud and chivalrous, Kiritsugu is cold and calculating, Archer is insatiably greedy and Caster is eccentric and creepy. I say overbearingly because they play it closer to extremes whereas Iri is portrayed more normally, which doesn't fit with an anime where almost everything else about it says "I'm epic" or "I stand out."
That sounds a bit two dimensional to be honest...

Irisviel is loving (and lovable) and perky (her keen curiosity about the outside world she never experienced certainly does stand out as becomes the basis of some of the scenes for Team Emiya). There's more than that, I suppose comparing her to the other wives or Master's love interests, she's the only one who isn't only devoted and understanding (unlike Sola), but also intelligent and strong (what Aoi isn't). Also, unlike them, she has a very important role in the war.

Old 2012-01-06, 21:40   Link #87
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
That sounds a bit two dimensional to be honest...

Irisviel is loving (and lovable) and perky (her keen curiosity about the outside world she never experienced certainly does stand out as becomes the basis of some of the scenes for Team Emiya). There's more than that, I suppose comparing her to the other wives or Master's love interests, she's the only one who isn't only devoted and understanding (unlike Sola), but also intelligent and strong (what Aoi isn't). Also, unlike them, she has a very important role in the war.
I just thought I'd let you know that there aren't any inherently bad character types. There are flat characters who are great, round characters who are awful, irrelevant characters that are well done and significant characters that are poorly written.

And I'm not discounting her role in the series, because regardless of the importance of her story, she as a character is just not someone I find as memorable as the rest of the cast.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2012-01-06, 22:23   Link #88
Thess

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Changing subjects: Does anyone have the female poll of Newtype this month?

Spoiler for The male characters one:

Congratulations Rider, Lancer and Waver.

Last month I remember Saber placed first in the female character poll. Kiritsugu, Rider and Waver were in the top ten in the male one. Fate/Zero was ranked after Madoka as second in the Anime show list.

Old 2012-01-06, 22:30   Link #89
Vicious108

Knowing Japan's tastes, I half-expect Rin to be in the top 10 because of her loli-service episode alone.

Still, pleasant surprise to see Rider take 1st place among the males. Pretty rare to see a non-bishie character get there, especially one as astoundingly manly as Iskandar.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 22:54   Link #90
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Knowing Japan's tastes, I half-expect Rin to be in the top 10 because of her loli-service episode alone.

Still, pleasant surprise to see Rider take 1st place among the males. Pretty rare to see a non-bishie character get there, especially one as astoundingly manly as Iskandar.
I had forgotten that episode... But even loli Rin is superior to K-On!

I know. He's not a typical angsty or bitchy bishounen they would vote for. It's a miracle. I guess his Rank A charisma transcends the four wall.

Old 2012-01-06, 23:37   Link #91
Terminator98
Archangelic Demon Vampire
*Author

The endearing affection to Kira and Lelouche... well, they are some good protagonists anyways (Kira until Destiny came along...)

Fate/Zero with 3 Chars in the ranking... SUCCESS
A bit a surprised that Lancer got in there to me.... thought I'd see Kiritsugu instead.
Old 2012-01-07, 00:28   Link #92
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
I know. He's not a typical angsty or bitchy bishounen they would vote for. It's a miracle. I guess his Rank A charisma transcends the four wall.
Lancer's "Love Spot" as well, probably

Anyway, great to see these three (especially Rider) reaching the top!
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 01:30   Link #93
Thess

Kiritsugu was there, but I'm guessing these votes are affected from what happened in episodes 9-11, where Kiritsugu was being either a jerk or nonexistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
Lancer's "Love Spot" as well, probably

Anyway, great to see these three (especially Rider) reaching the top!
Nah, Lancer clicks all the buttons for the average voter in Newtype: he's an angsty bishounen. I was expecting him to be there after episode 9 aired.

Old 2012-01-07, 06:43   Link #94
blue_sora

Yay I'm happy that Fate/Zero got great reception in Japan! Ah, people really love those Waver/Rider duo! I wonder how the female one goes, somehow I got the feeling that Saber and Irisviel will be on top

Here's a Fate/Zero character popularity contest in a shop that shown in seventhstyle post. The dots behind the picture is the votes and command seals represents favourite teams:

Spoiler for votes:

It seems that the favourite team is Waver/Rider. For characters, with rough glance from me Saber is the winner, followed closely either by Gilgamesh, Lancer or Rider. Surprisingly Kariya is the second favourite master behind Waver, even with the less screentime compared with other masters. Even Tokiomi in the basement scenes have a lot more screentime than him.
blue_sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 15:14   Link #95
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_sora View Post
Yay I'm happy that Fate/Zero got great reception in Japan! Ah, people really love those Waver/Rider duo! I wonder how the female one goes, somehow I got the feeling that Saber and Irisviel will be on top

Here's a Fate/Zero character popularity contest in a shop that shown in seventhstyle post. The dots behind the picture is the votes and command seals represents favourite teams:

Spoiler for votes:

It seems that the favourite team is Waver/Rider. For characters, with rough glance from me Saber is the winner, followed closely either by Gilgamesh, Lancer or Rider. Surprisingly Kariya is the second favourite master behind Waver, even with the less screentime compared with other masters. Even Tokiomi in the basement scenes have a lot more screentime than him.
It's obvious that the male otaku vote to Saber and the female fujoshi vote to Waver. Those are the largest demographics Fate/Zero captured last time I checked. It's interesting how on the Servant side, things are pretty even, with Saber getting a bit of an edge. Probably because the otaku only got an option and the fujoshi have more than one choice (Berserker would probably get more votes once he has more exposure and doesn't wear a helmet). While the Master side seems to be a one side domination by Waver.

Wouldn't be so sure about Irisviel's+Saber's triumph in the master/servant convo, other polls have Rider and Waver in there, but Iri is tragically absent. Waver and Rider seem to be the breakout duo in Japan.

Edit: Btw, if people wanted a visualization of scenes involving Kariya Suffering the Anime cut. Here, from the manga:

Spoiler for not for the squeamish:

Last edited by Thess; 2012-01-07 at 23:57.
Old 2012-01-14, 13:13   Link #96
kitten320

This time I definitively can give my vote to Saber, finally I saw why she is loved so much. Saber please stay away from Shirou! He'll ruin you beyond repair!
And I love her in suit! Makes me wish that she was a guy

Gilgamesh was more fun too, don't like him much when he gets all mighty and stuff but it is very cool to see his manipulative side.

Loved Berserker's entrance, want more!

Kariya, poor guy. I feel so bad for him. I like his dedication to Sakura and I also like his design.

Kirei, a walking ownage. Wish he would remain that cool in Night series -_-

Irisviel, thank you for bringing Saber's best side out to light! Besides she and Saber mage great duo. And it is nice to see her excited side, fell bad what is most likely coming =/
Duno why some people complain about her not standing out, I thinks she stands out a lot because she gets excited by almost everything. If she were to be another cool strong female with gun, she would most likely get lost among all the characters.

Special owner gets Rider, he had some really cool scenes and looks like he is dominating the poll.
Old 2012-01-15, 03:42   Link #97
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Saber - Cute
Keyneth - Feel sorry for him
Rider team - Just too awesome
Other - Iriya - Cute

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 04:08   Link #98
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Newtype February 2012 Character Poll Ranking

BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 04:15   Link #99
Vicious108

Just Saber among the gals, huh? Well, F/Z is kind of a sausage fest.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 18:00   Link #100
Thess

UGH. How did a K'ON character beat Saber?