AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Old 2012-02-28, 00:38   Link #1
Kunagisa

Shin Sekai Yori - General Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
The story is set in Japan a millennium from now. Five children — the protagonist Saki, Satoru, Maria, Mamoru, and Shun — have been born and raised in a tranquil town that can be described as a utopia, overflowing with water and green foilage. The world is ruled by people who have the "cursed power" or the "gods' power" of telekinesis.

After a certain incident, Saki and the others come to realize the true nature of their world. Before long, they learn everything, including the bloody history that brought humanity to this state. The five throw themselves into life-threatening adventure and fighting to protect friends and a world on the brink of collapse.
http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/shinsekaiyori/

Random Information
Quote:
The “New World” described here is a dystopia of the future. Humans have gained the power of telekinesis and coexist with a race called Bakenezumi/バケネズミ (lit. tl. Monster Rat), whose intelligence level matches the average human. Despite superficial peace, the children are monitored and “incompatible” memories are actively erased; ones who are deemed defected would be erased. The main protagonist’s friends have disappeared due to some minor infractions and became involved in the war between humans and Bakenezumi.

According to the author, the inspiration for Bakenezumi’s model comes from Heterocephalus glaber in East Africa. The said specie physically resembles rat, but the living pattern is similar to matriarchal societies of ants and bees. In the story, this specie is very aggressive, often very observant and deductive of human though process; their poaching/hunting of weak human is one of the main highlight of the novel

The title comes from Dvoark’s 9th Symphony. Kishi bought the LP for the recording during his last years in elementary school and never got tired of the performance. The work was successfully incorporated within the novel as well with focus in expressing the chilling terror of the madrigal. With the closing chapter, this novel revealed to the readers a bitter and astounding “truth”; as one critic commented, “[With] the finale of finale, the world created was turned on its head, this is the ultimate ingenuity of Sci-Fi.”

The novel took three and half years to complete.
Author:
Kishi Yusuke
Quote:
Winner of 4th Japan Horror Novel Award
Winner of 58th Mystery Writers of Japan Award
Winner of 29th Japan Science Fiction Award
Winner of 1st Yamada Futaro Award
Staff:
Director: Ishihama Masashi
Series Composition: Sogo Masashi
Production: A-1 Pictures

Cast:
Watanabe Saki: Taneda Risa
Asahina Satoru: Toujou Kanako
Akizuki Maria: Hanazawa Kana
Itou Mamoru: Kudou Haruka
Aomuma Shun: Toudou Mai

Others:
Manga will begin serializing 5/9 on Bessatsu Shounen Magazine (same as the one Shingeki no Kyojin is currently serializing in).

---

As a mystery/Sci-fi fan, this is a huge treat. When I was at the height of my mystery fanaticism, this author's Glass Hammer (硝子のハンマー) was recommended to me because it was supposed to be an innovative take on the closed-room mystery murder case troop. I had pretty much forgotten about it until I saw the announcement for this series and people talking about it again. To say I'm excited is quite the under statement. However, I personally has never trusted A-1 to do fight scenes well, but somehow (unrelated) this has a Ghibli feel to it that rather draws me in still.

It's worth noting the anime expo mentioned in the original post will have the PV showcased. I personally have no idea why the studios continue to adapt these novels (Another, Hyou-ka, Gosick, KamiMemo etc.), I think it's obvious that late night TV horror/mystery anime will never sell well, though I'm definitely not complaining. I am guessing we might be able to see this air within the year as a 1 cour series.

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2012-03-12 at 18:58.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 05:29   Link #2
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

The name immediately made me think of Dvorak's 9th Symphony.

After reading the premise of this anime, I'm completely sold. We really need more sci-fi/fantasy adventure anime, and this looks sure to deliver.

EDIT:
Quote:
The title comes from Dvoark’s 9th Symphony.
Well, it turns out that my suspicions were accurate.

Last edited by Tempester; 2012-03-04 at 13:53.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 05:44   Link #3
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

This sounds like it would make a much better film than a TV anime.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 14:04   Link #4
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Very lazy copy and paste from ANN info for now. Will be editing in some info for the author over the next few days. As a mystery/Sci-fi fan, this is a huge treat. When I was at the height of my mystery fanaticism, this author's Glass Hammer (硝子のハンマー) was recommended to me because it was supposed to be an innovative take on the closed-room mystery murder case troop. I had pretty much forgotten about it until I saw the announcement for this series and people talking about it again. To say I'm excited is quite the under statement. However, I personally has never trusted A-1 to do fight scenes well, but somehow (unrelated) this has a Ghibli feel to it that rather draws me in still.
For English-only readers, his novel Crimson Labyrinth is available on Amazon. It's similar to Battle Royale, which, combined with the monster in the preview art makes me think this could be very, very non-Ghibli.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 01:52   Link #5
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
However, I personally has never trusted A-1 to do fight scenes well,
Don't forget Tetsuwan Birdy Decode or Blue Exorcist. A-1 Pictures sure knows how bring to talented animators when it's needed.
It's actually a very promising project to my mind and I can't wait to see Masashi Ishihama's debuts as director. He's a talented designer who also directed great openings in the past. Great uses of colours, shapes and outlines.
Spoiler for Ishihama's works:
He was involved in great projects these last years (Dennou Coil, Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei, Uchuu Show...) and I'm also sure he has useful connections to bring talented animators like Yasuomi Umetsu or Erukin Kawabata. We already know that Chikashi Kubota will participate since he did the key visual picture. Not to mention this novel shared the Japan SF Grand Prize with Dennou Coil in 2008.
The website mentions Masashi Sogo for series composition.
Old 2012-02-29, 03:03   Link #6
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
However, I personally has never trusted A-1 to do fight scenes well,
lolwut?
And yep like kyouray said, A- 1 have all the power to get all the freelance/animator that they want(See Idolm@ster). Animation quality barely have something to do with production house names, if you can hire good animator you get good result.
Old 2012-03-03, 03:54   Link #7
Kunagisa

I like many works from A-1 (Working! comes to mind immediately), however, I really haven't enjoy any of its action/"dark" oriented anime (I've only watched 1-2 episodes of Fairy Tail, Birdy, and Kuroshitsuji). Something about the choreography choices have never impress me beyond what I normally consider just decent. While the sakuga level can be impressive, I am not entirely confident in the mood building since the sound effect/BGM department hasn't been impressing either, which is my primary thoughts when making that comment. I do concede that I probably did not sample all the work from the studio and will reserve further judgment until SAO airs.

A-1 is quite busy this year. On the horizon, there is Tsuritama and Uchuu Kyouda, and further down the list are Uta Prince second season, Ano Hana, Fairy Tail, and Ao no Exorcist theatrical release.

Another thing worth mentioning is ... does anyone remember the last TV series that aired on Asahi's night time slot (not that I'm sure this would be air during late hours), but would be interesting to see the station bring this back.
Old 2012-03-03, 05:03   Link #8
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
Another thing worth mentioning is ... does anyone remember the last TV series that aired on Asahi's night time slot (not that I'm sure this would be air during late hours), but would be interesting to see the station bring this back.
The last anime to be aired on TV Asahi's late-night slot was Black God.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 05:29   Link #9
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
I like many works from A-1 (Working! comes to mind immediately), however, I really haven't enjoy any of its action/"dark" oriented anime (I've only watched 1-2 episodes of Fairy Tail, Birdy, and Kuroshitsuji).
But the thing is A-1 uses freelancers,you have no idea if any of the people that worked on those shows will work on this.
You might also want to check out Ao no exorcist and 009-1 (though again,I doubt anyone who worked on those will work on this)

The only major thing Masashi Ishihama seems to have done for A-1 so far is direct the Senkou no Night Raid OP

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

He's also done some Key animation for the Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin OP and that's it.
Old 2012-03-03, 12:29   Link #10
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Looking forward to this sounds very epic
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 12:50   Link #11
ImagineThat
Cant think of one Sorry

This does look very interesting going by the synopsis. So a Sci-Fi/Mystery and maybe i'm reading too much into one picture but it also looks like it could have Ghibli-esque adventure elements.

So anyone know when the PV is going to be released ?
ImagineThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 13:58   Link #12
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineThat View Post
So anyone know when the PV is going to be released ?
It's almost certainly not coming out in April, and from the time of announcement, it's probably going to be a Summer 2012 series. So I'd give it a couple more months for a PV at the very least.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 00:02   Link #13
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

is this gonna be a movie or anime?

by wat i read im guessing tv
Old 2012-03-27, 14:50   Link #14
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
A promotional video with staff interviews has been posted

Hopefully we'll get a subbed version.
Old 2012-03-27, 20:40   Link #15
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

I wonder if we'll see this in Summer season. Looks really interesting. I like the synopsis as well.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 03:00   Link #16
Kunagisa

That BGM so awesome.

Also, the end of the vid confirmed a tentative 2012 schedule, A-1 just how much are you working on this year ...

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2012-04-01 at 03:10.
Old 2012-04-01, 03:23   Link #17
ImagineThat
Cant think of one Sorry

Good PV it does exactly what it says on the tin. Fantasy, Magic and unless i'm reading way too much into it, i'm assuming 1:10 of that trailer confirmed it will be traveling adventure anime. So i'm thrilled if thats the case.

Shit, i cant even keep up with the amount of announcements & PV's that have come out in the past week. Someone must have spiked the water in japan.
ImagineThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 15:31   Link #18
Kunagisa

Spoiler for nsfw:

Manga art's out ... but what's with the girl's pants in the lower right ... ... I'll just pretend this doesn't exist for now.
Old 2012-04-08, 15:38   Link #19
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

This is the second time I can see a girl wearing pantyhose-sized boots à la Homura Akemi.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 21:27   Link #20
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Spoiler for nsfw:

Manga art's out ... but what's with the girl's pants in the lower right ... ... I'll just pretend this doesn't exist for now.
Look like I Dream of Jeanie pants to me, or maybe a cheongsam. I'm more interested in what she's doing with her hand. And why the girl in the middle is wearing chaps.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, science fiction, supernatural