AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Ah! My Goddess

Notices

View Poll Results: Is AMG harem anime?
Yes 64 22.61%
No 219 77.39%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-09, 11:53   Link #81
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I don't see how it works that way. There are only 3 people living in the residence. Belldandy (loves Keichi), Urd (Wants Keichi in Bell's pants), and Skuld who currently is mostly ok with Bells and Keichi's relationship , but is sometimes unhappy about cause she's a clingy little sister.

This isn't like Love Hina where all the girls (sans Sarah...thankfully) at one point or another, express overt romantic intrest in the lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleo Scanti View Post
Many women + one man = harem.
In harem anime those women are usually in love with the guy or at least like him, and he initially doesn't know whom to choose.
Except only 1 of them has expressed anything resembling interest in the one male.
Old 2008-08-12, 03:26   Link #82
Sezren
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Except only 1 of them has expressed anything resembling interest in the one male.
But they did. Urds interest was due to magic but it clearly was "romantic interest". Skuld was under magic too at the time (adult Skuld) but the romantic interest was not directly due to magic.
Old 2008-08-12, 05:49   Link #83
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Well, most of the female characters are "sort of interested" in Keiichi at one point or another. But here we miss one important for harems thing - rivalry. Nobody, besides Sayoko, tries to take him from Bell, and she does it not because of "love", but because she wanted to harm Bell who'd taken all the male attention from her. You may also mention Hild in the infamous anime-only time-travelling episode, but again, she was interested in Bell's reaction and not in Keiichi himself.
Old 2008-08-12, 12:14   Link #84
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleo Scanti View Post
Well, most of the female characters are "sort of interested" in Keiichi at one point or another. But here we miss one important for harems thing - rivalry. Nobody, besides Sayoko, tries to take him from Bell, and she does it not because of "love", but because she wanted to harm Bell who'd taken all the male attention from her. You may also mention Hild in the infamous anime-only time-travelling episode, but again, she was interested in Bell's reaction and not in Keiichi himself.
and even she kinda disappears in the second season......so not much of a fight lol.
Old 2008-08-22, 19:21   Link #85
Strahan

Yea, I can't see AMG as a harem either, there is far too much lack of romantic interest from the other female leads.
Old 2009-02-16, 21:40   Link #86
SirWence
~Connoisseur~

I am really late to this one.. But I would have to say no Certainly not a Harem Anime or Manga.

I mean all you have to do is say take Love Hina Or Ai Yori Aoshi, and compare it to Oh(Ah) My Goddess. Those 2 listed above are more of a Harem Example then Oh(Ah) My Goddess. All the females FAWN and surround and all are in love with the main male protagonist in them , while they do not in O(A)MG that alone discounts it as a Harem.
Old 2009-03-07, 23:03   Link #87
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

I would disagree with that element: while there is a tendency to think it is, the character development and design mean that the Goddesses do not act such that the anime has that feel.
Old 2009-03-10, 09:08   Link #88
HammerOrNails
One day...
*Artist

Well, if it's harem it's definitely harem with a heart... if that's possible in the first place of course. I tend to think of harem products as contaning quite a lot more fanservice and innuendos than AMG, which I find quite tame both in its anime and manga form.
Old 2009-03-27, 07:31   Link #89
KimmyChan

I don't believe that this series is a harem anime at all, far far from it >.<
Old 2009-04-04, 03:11   Link #90
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerOrNails View Post
Well, if it's harem it's definitely harem with a heart... if that's possible in the first place of course. I tend to think of harem products as contaning quite a lot more fanservice and innuendos than AMG, which I find quite tame both in its anime and manga form.
Actually not. Harem anime isn't technically defined by fanservice. It's just paired with it most of the time.

Harem anime/manga is best defined as having multiple characters competing with each other over a single romantic interest. The key word here is ROMANTIC. Without the competition for the "main" character's love interest, it's just an anime/manga that's heavy on characters of one sex (typically female, though some are the other way around). Fanservice is typically just for the audience and typically has no real bearing on the plot, though embarrassing situations with copious amounts of innuendo do arise.

And furthermore, ignore what Sezren says, because he's totally wrong. A single episode of every woman falling in love with Keiichi because of Urd's screwed up love potion doesn't make the show a harem anime. It's just there for laughs. It has no real bearing on the plot...

...in fact, given that after the fiasco ends no one ever speaks of it again, you might even consider it a "Big-Lipped Alligator Moment". If you don't know what that is, Google it. You will be amused.
Old 2009-04-26, 01:14   Link #91
Justin Kim
*Artist

I don't see this as a harem series either. Keiichi and Belldandy already have the realization that they dearly love and care for each other. Keiichi does not love anyone else, instead he loves them as if he were the parent or friend.
Old 2009-04-27, 04:54   Link #92
Crisis
Rock on ^^

Nah, it aint harem anime.

Belldandy only loves Keichi. No one else loves Keichi.

Harem = something like Love Hina where multiple girls like a guy.
Old 2009-04-27, 21:53   Link #93
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post

Yep definently agreeing with you on this one, Keiichi will go to the ends of heaven just to get Belldandy re-united with him. Ditto with Belldandy.
Old 2009-04-29, 11:08   Link #94
KimmyChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post

I too also thoroughly agree with that aswell, I couldn't have put it better myself
Old 2009-05-15, 05:30   Link #95
Justin Kim
*Artist

I mean there is that episode of Skuld coming to the realization that Keiichi was actually a caring guy, but other than that, no one else is in a relationship with Keiichi.
Old 2009-05-15, 12:22   Link #96
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
I mean there is that episode of Skuld coming to the realization that Keiichi was actually a caring guy, but other than that, no one else is in a relationship with Keiichi.
Skuld was so cute in that OVA when she was an adult I was actually hoping that she would stay like that and create so more drama for Keiichi and Bell-chan. In my opinion Keiichi and Bell-chan's relationship wasn't handled well in the series considering they barely got anywhere except being able to say "I love you" although they STILL had a hard time saying it (especially Keiichi) by the end of the whole series. With all the teasing of a kiss scene between those 2, I figured they would kiss by the end of the series at least but of course, nothing I was disappointed. I think Skuld got closer to kissing Keiichi

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-05-15, 19:20   Link #97
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Skuld was so cute in that OVA when she was an adult I was actually hoping that she would stay like that and create so more drama for Keiichi and Bell-chan. In my opinion Keiichi and Bell-chan's relationship wasn't handled well in the series considering they barely got anywhere except being able to say "I love you" although they STILL had a hard time saying it (especially Keiichi) by the end of the whole series. With all the teasing of a kiss scene between those 2, I figured they would kiss by the end of the series at least but of course, nothing I was disappointed. I think Skuld got closer to kissing Keiichi
Buddy, the confession did not go anywhere at all. The whole entire manga series right now is a completely pointless love story at the moment. Too bad the manga chapters are being released slower, Fujishima is working on other projects. (Multiple projects). So his production rate for AMG! Manga series is getting to about at least 1 chapter per month, I remember last year they released only about 4 chapters which was severely dissapointing but understandable. But yes, going back on topic, Keiichi's confession was a tad bit pathetic and at the same time, not romantic at all. I still like the anime, but the story plot just needs to progress more.
Old 2009-05-15, 19:49   Link #98
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Buddy, the confession did not go anywhere at all. The whole entire manga series right now is a completely pointless love story at the moment. Too bad the manga chapters are being released slower, Fujishima is working on other projects. (Multiple projects). So his production rate for AMG! Manga series is getting to about at least 1 chapter per month, I remember last year they released only about 4 chapters which was severely dissapointing but understandable. But yes, going back on topic, Keiichi's confession was a tad bit pathetic and at the same time, not romantic at all. I still like the anime, but the story plot just needs to progress more.
Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the anime series but I felt that it lacked plenty in the romance department although it had a lot to do with the plot itself. The action and all that was handled pretty well for the most part but the romance was just not good at all.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-08-26, 07:26   Link #99
Maikeru13

Well In my point of view, Ah My Goddess is a Harem anime. Harem anime basically means that the male protagonists has 3 or more female heroines revolving around him and in the story. So we have Belldandy, Urd and Skuld. So it cuts out on being a Harem anime.
Old 2009-08-27, 18:18   Link #100
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikeru13 View Post
Well In my point of view, Ah My Goddess is a Harem anime. Harem anime basically means that the male protagonists has 3 or more female heroines revolving around him and in the story. So we have Belldandy, Urd and Skuld. So it cuts out on being a Harem anime.
Not really, harem anime usually have the females having some sort of love interest in the male lead, and also allow for a possible chance of them getting the guy. In this case it's no on either side.

Urd wouldn't touch him even if she was interested purely because Belldandy loves him. She's already proven several times that she'd do anything for her sisters (such as when she rejected being promoted to goddess first class).

Skuld, has never really loved him that way. the only time it was even close to it was when her powers started to grow and Belldandy explained that as a change they all go through.

Through out the entire series there has never been any chance of any other girl getting him. From the outset he only ever see's Belldandy.

Quote:
Although it flows better in the manga, there's next to no development relationship wise in the manga either. but thats what's made following so much fun imo. I can't really see it ever being fully resolved since it would destroy a lot of the atmosphere
Closed Thread