AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-07-31, 14:07   Link #2361
Miraluka
Banned

Poor little thing, your avatar should say 100% gay trolled by Kadi .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 14:38   Link #2362
Mechatrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by aigomorla View Post
noway.

Ichika would never suspect ANY of the girls liking him.
And probably would be lead to all the traps possible by Erica.

while godou is running frantically away from erica because he knows once he gets caught its OVER.

There opposite.
Godou knows who likes him, he just needs to try to stay as neutral as possible.
Its either getting gutted by erica... or getting a ear full of yelling from yuri, or another lecture from Lily.
I must disagree...

The main difference, as I've already mentioned, is that Godou's girls (mostly Erica) are a lot more open with their feelings. Thus, while Ichika is still wearing those rose tinted glasses of "just friends", Godou's had his shattered to pieces by Erica very early on.

I have read the translation of IS on bakatsuki, and it feels like none of the girls have even truly told Ichika how she felt in a way that cannot be misconstrued (even Laura's declaration of "marriage", when explained further, can be rationalized as her unfamiliarity with Japanese language and culture). All other actions can still be fit into the box of "friendship", not very perfectly or neatly admittedly, but that's why we call Ichika dense.

In Campione's case though... Godou knows that Erica is interested because she properly confessed (in vol 11), refers to herself as his lover in front of him and everyone else without hesitation, declares her love pretty much every other chapter... There's no possible way for the friend tinted glasses to stay on with such an assault. Here's the biggest example: In the summer trip, Erica outright told him that she hoped to conceive a child with him on said trip. It's in the epilogue of vol 2, and I'll quote the passage here:
Quote:
"What are you talking about, this is the plan for the trip before our wedding, it has to have input from both of us... Through this trip, our love will deepen and become stronger."

"What?"

"Having a child during travels sounds nice too. As long as it is Godou and my child, whether a boy or girl, either will be very strong. Doesn't such a future sound wonderful?"

<SNIP>

"Like I said, have a baby, going together on a tour, aren't those kinds of things natural?"
Yeah, that's kind of impossible to interpret any other way... Maybe if Ichika had one of the IS girls go point blank on him like that, he might be a bit more aware too...

That's my main point: Both Ichika and Godou are pretty dense (Again, see short story 2 for Godou's denseness) when it comes to girls who like them. I'll use an analogy here:

Think of their denseness toward the feelings of the girls as a box of sorts.

Ichika is still staying comfortably inside his nice little airtight box.

Godou's box has been drilled wide open by Erica since before vol 1.

To continue the analogy, Godou is trying desperately to stay in said box (thus him continuously insisting that "they're just normal friends"), but Erica and the other girls are doing their best to drag him out, kicking and screaming if needed (some more gently than others). By my estimation, the girls are winning, but Godou isn't giving up without a fight.

So yeah, Godou seems less dense because the girls around him won't let him. If it wasn't for that though, and we just compare base nature? I'd say Godou and Ichika are pretty comparable... (again, see the short story, plus that bit in vol 6 ch 2 where he's trying to remember all the girls that he used to know)
Mechatrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 14:59   Link #2363
Kadi
知識の探求者

Quote:
Originally Posted by dithar View Post
[...]
So you're saying Godou chooses to be dense? To be able to do that, he needs to realize in the first place, meaning he's not dense.
Kadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 15:04   Link #2364
Nekoppi

Didn't Godou in volume 1 believe that Erica was acting like this because she wants to get close to a devil king, rather then because she cares about him?

As far as I can tell, he claims there is nothing going on between him and Erica because:
a) he likes living, and there are a LOT of people who would be happy to change that, even with him acting dense

b) because he himself has never accepted the relationship

You don't become lovers when one side declares you to be lovers. Even if that side is a gorgeous babe. Both sides have to agree to the relationship, and Godou actively chooses not to advance their relationship to that status. Because he keeps telling himself he wants a regular monogamous relationship, and that, to him means not getting so intimate at such a young age... After all, he has been taught early on that being like grandpa is bad by the women in his household, and his paternal figure wasn't around to teach him that "being like grandpa = awesome"
Nekoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 15:50   Link #2365
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoppi View Post
Just guessing here, but given how it was written, as well as based on this image, I'm guessing "heat" here was innuendo for "seduction until he shows an opening, and then surprise attack". You know, with the whole heroes of steel not exactly being famous for their chastity or monogamy...
@Phoennix I read a summary on Jcafe by Kadi
"(Another thing I "forgot" is Athena's awesome plan to defeat Perseus and the reason why Godou absolutely can't leave it to her. Let's just say... As a "hero of steel" Perseus is weak to heat)"

What does this mean? I couldn't find any mention of this on baka-tsuki.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 16:03   Link #2366
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post

What does this mean? I couldn't find any mention of this on baka-tsuki.
Translation is coming. Though think of it like this: where can heat come from?
Old 2012-07-31, 16:04   Link #2367
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi View Post
So you're saying Godou chooses to be dense? To be able to do that, he needs to realize in the first place, meaning he's not dense.
Nah.
The guy knows but tries to avoid serious relations. You know... MARRIAGE.

Any young man, anyone I know would try to live some years enjoying their freedom and then go for it.

AND it doesn't helps he NEVER had some close person that could tell him that being like Ichiro is the awesome way of living the life.
Old 2012-07-31, 16:11   Link #2368
Kadi
知識の探求者

Nah.
The guy knows and tries to avoid shallow relations. You know... sleeping around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Translation is coming. Though think of it like this: where can heat come from?
... Nuclear fission!
Kadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 16:56   Link #2369
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechatrill View Post
To continue the analogy, Godou is trying desperately to stay in said box (thus him continuously insisting that "they're just normal friends"), but Erica and the other girls are doing their best to drag him out, kicking and screaming if needed (some more gently than others). By my estimation, the girls are winning, but Godou isn't giving up without a fight.
Hoki: Ichika if i win will you go out with me.
Ichika: Yes i will go out shopping with you.

Erica: Godou if i win will you go out with me?
Godou: no i will not stop by a love motel with you.

Can you honestly say they are simular?
Ichika is DENSE.... i mean he's the apex of DENSE.. hence why any character who comes out that is DENSE we say pulled a ichika.
Godou is actively trying to avoid it... He realized he's in a pond of fish.. some aggresive (ena, erica) some who pretend to be passive but is aggressive (yuri) and a bro-con over possessive sister (shizuka).

Godou in his younger days id say was ichika... if u read lily's reports its EPIC, and yes he does a ichika... however now in current story, no.. he's nothing like ichika...
aigomorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 18:39   Link #2370
mangafreak7793

Even if we say he's dense and we hate him for it, we still end up reading the novels.
mangafreak7793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 18:52   Link #2371
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

In terms of being dense, Godou is about as bad as Ichika, IMO. Well, even Ichika didn't do anything quite as dense as what Godou did in Vol.5...

The thing is, the reason most of these harem leads are so dense is because of a specific personality quirk. In Godou's case, his family members have been telling him for such a long time not to be like Ichirou, that it's given him a complex. In Ichika's case, it's his obsession with his sister.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 18:59   Link #2372
Phoenix221186
Butt Theory Creator xD

in vol 5 is 2 things at once .. being dense .. and the desire of NOT being completely alone with her ..
( plus it was kind of a way to pissed her off so she would leave .. )
Old 2012-07-31, 20:06   Link #2373
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
In terms of being dense, Godou is about as bad as Ichika, IMO. Well, even Ichika didn't do anything quite as dense as what Godou did in Vol.5...

The thing is, the reason most of these harem leads are so dense is because of a specific personality quirk. In Godou's case, his family members have been telling him for such a long time not to be like Ichirou, that it's given him a complex. In Ichika's case, it's his obsession with his sister.
I totally agree to a large extent. It's all Shizuka's fault, lousy cock-blocker. But, you can't really say that Godou is ignorant of things or try to remain ignorant--acting like the girls don't like him in that way. For example, when Erica and Ena flat out told him that they want to have his kid, Godou rejects them, explaining that they are way too young to have any children or initiated any sort of a relationship, that he simply isn't ready yet. Ichika, on the other hand, when asked by the girls to go out with him, or when kissed by Laura and asked to marry him--just dismissed them without any explanation of a sort. In a way, Ichika's more in a denial than Godou. At the very least, Godou try to clarify things with the other girl.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 20:08   Link #2374
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It doesn't matter if he's dense or not, the most important thing is whether is it entertaining or frustrating to watch.

In that sense, both of them are EXACTLY the same, it's pointless to try to make one out to be better than the other.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-07-31 at 20:24.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 20:12   Link #2375
fazri
blacksun king

yeah there some people that defend my opinion.
just like mechatrill said.
ichika on the box that have platinum plate protecting him will the girl only just using his own hand to rip open platinum plate that protect ichika box of dense,that imposible.
while in godou case even if he make platinum plate to protecting him self erica and other will using evenrything to drag godou out from his dense box from using demonic sword, bazoka ,tank even nuclir if it need it to rip open the platinum plate and box of dense of godou.
Old 2012-07-31, 20:31   Link #2376
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazri View Post
yeah there some people that defend my opinion.
just like mechatrill said.
ichika on the box that have platinum plate protecting him will the girl only just using his own hand to rip open platinum plate that protect ichika box of dense,that imposible.
while in godou case even if he make platinum plate to protecting him self erica and other will using evenrything to drag godou out from his dense box from using demonic sword, bazoka ,tank even nuclir if it need it to rip open the platinum plate and box of dense of godou.
Well, in the end, it's all down to which novel is better written. IS is,well, blah. I liked it initially, since it was one of the first light novels I have ever read, but overall, the main character's just underdeveloped.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 20:51   Link #2377
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It doesn't matter if he's dense or not, the most important thing is whether is it entertaining or frustrating to watch.

In that sense, both of them are EXACTLY the same, it's pointless to try to make one out to be better than the other.
Is more frustrating when watching/reading Ichika than Godou, but the latter at least tries to make up for his faults, thats for sure.
Old 2012-07-31, 21:08   Link #2378
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Who was the opponent in v12. Iirc the memory wipe was by erica to protect godou right
Old 2012-07-31, 21:28   Link #2379
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Im a little bit confused by the volume order, Im reading Champione! from Baka-Tsukai, and starting in volume 3 its like the story and the light novel itself should have started there, but Im pretty sure its just a flashback volume or something, because judging from what Iv read it is almost the same as the beginning of the anime. Almost.... only slightly!
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 21:46   Link #2380
zzhk
Summary Machine

Is there anything wrong with a flashback volume?
Godou and Yuri get on the plane in summer, Godou recalls how he became a Campione during spring break, Godou and Yuri land and the story resumes.

It's not like everything has to be presented in chronological order to be understood. Personally, I think it works better this way because of the delicious dramatic irony from an informed reader's perspective. Otherwise, all the appearances of the divine beasts will not make sense until the end. Furthermore, Erica is more likable if her smitten side in Volume 1 is introduced before the reader witnesses her original attitude in Volume 3.

As for being similar to the beginning of the anime... Only in broad strokes. After all, Episode 1 condenses an entire volume's worth of material. Some people consider it an abomination so it is recommended to watch the anime before reading the novel.
Leviathan of the Covenant
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
zzhk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, campione, ecchi, godslayer, harem, light novel, myth, romance, sd bunko, shounen, supernatural, time travel, true harem