AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-01-02, 18:25   Link #1
Steven03

Specific romance/action anime/manga

Currently, I'm trying to find a peculiar type of romance/action anime/manga, is probably impossible to find one with all the traits I'm looking for, but as long as it has some of them, it is appreciated.

-Must be shounen/seinen, can't stand shoujo/josei. It has to be from the guy pov, don't usually enjoy the ones from the girl pov.
-It doesn't matter if it is mecha, guys with supernatural abilities, could be anything.
-I don't really want "subtle" romance, I hate it when I watch 12-24 episodes and the main guy and girl don't even kiss, heck, most of the time they don't even admit their feelings to each other.
-It could be great if the main heroine is a kudere, want a little break from tsunderes.

-A "badass" main character, What do I mean by it? well, as long as he is not a nose bleeding punching bag, is fine.

Could be someone like kazuma from kaze no stigma, or like akatsuki from hagure, hei from darker than black, Okabe from Steins Gate, or even tomoya from clannad. Just as long he is between "normal--->badass", is ok.

-Some examples of anime I liked/didn't like:

1) Dropped toaru majutsu no index because I coudn't stand index the first couple of episodes of the 2nd season, just seemed like a annoying spoiled brat. I didn't mind touma, talked a little too much for my taste, but meh.
2) ZNT: I don't usually like when the guy gets beaten by the main girl every 2 seconds, but the fact they kissed several times and kinda had an established relationship made it good enough for me.
3) Never finished clannad because I just couldn't get into the main heroine, she just seemed kinda like an airhead, or just childish.. It woulda been fine by me had it been kyou, tomoyo or even kotomi.
4) Loved steins gate, okabe was awesome, and the romance, although not a huge part of the story, was nicely developed.
5) Loved darker than black, though the first season lacked in the romance department, the ovas were nice. Never finished the 2nd season though, just couldn't get into it.
6) Busou renkin was a good one, action and some romance.
7) Hated kimi ga no eizen, too much drama/tragedy.
8) Enjoyed onani master kurosawa because of the depth and character development of the guy.
9) Unbalancex2, one of my favorites, last volume is kinda meh, but amazing nonetheless.

-Don't like any form of netorare.
-Not too old, probably 2002+.
-I don't do sad endings, even if the anime is a masterpiece, don't bother.

Pretty much all I can think for now, any help is gladly appreciated.
Steven03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 20:38   Link #2
jedinat

Kiseijuu - guy starts out a little wimpy, becomes badass. Romance isn't all that prominent but it's definitely not "subtle" either in the way you mention.
Midori no Hibi - decent romantic comedy with a delinquent main character
Angel Densetsu - hilarious manga, with a strong protagonist that may or may not be "badass" in a way you appreciate... there's enough romance to keep one interested, and while it not may be as explicit as you might want... they're pretty much an established couple for a significant portion of the manga.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 20:51   Link #3
Kurohane

Since you mentioned, Zero no Tsukaima, I suggest Shakugan no Shana. However, Yuji and Shana are not like Saito and Louise, even if they are voiced by the same voice actors. Shana isn't a hardcore tsundere like Louise either.

Valkyria Chronicles might be right for you. The main male is certainly capable, don't know about "badass" though. Romance doesn't develop until the second half though.
Old 2013-01-02, 23:30   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
You should like Full Metal Panic, if you haven't seen that one yet. A tsundere, but they do eventually progress.

Shakugan no Shana as had already been mentioned.

You might also try The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Katanagatari would be another choice.

Bakemonogatari is a possibility. A Kuudere, or as the protagonist puts it, a "tundra".

Angel Beats has quite a bit of action. Kuudere as well.

Chrome Shelled Regios also has a Kuudere/Tsundere (she straddles the line).

I'd also suggest giving To Aru Majutsu No Index a second chance, at least until the Sisters arc. Yes Index is annoying, boy is she ever annoying, but nobody watches Index for Index. Most people watch it for BriBri (if they want the romance), or Accelerater (if they don't like the romance). BriBri is cool enough she got her own spin off anime.

You could also try The World God Only Knows manga. No subtle romance there. The anime is okay too, but doesn't get to the action part.

Too bad you won't watch any old stuff. If you like Familiar of Zero you should love Ranma 1/2, less violence by the girl. It's got the romance and the action. There is a reason the fandom continues producing new things even this long after the release. I oppose the English dub for this one though.

Inuyasha is another good oldie. English dub is superior to the Japanese too.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 06:04   Link #5
Traece
:cool:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann might actually be a good choice here. It seems like what you're kind of looking for are animes where the romance element exists but isn't really a focus as much as an inevitability. TTGL is also very comedic and has some fun action it it. One of the characters starts as a badass, the other gets older as the series progresses, and then becomes a lot cooler.

Angel Beats! as mentioned would probably make an alright choice.

I also second Full Metal Panic, and Chrome Shelled Regios. I absolutely second The World God Only Knows since it's my favorite, but that's personal bias. :P

Eureka Seven has a blatantly growing relationship. Not a big fan of it, to be frank, but it's a good show.

Maaaaybe Fate/Stay Night? I only watched the OVA mashup of the series, so maybe someone else can confirm whether or not it would be a good recommendation.

Eden of the East could be a nice choice. It's a great anime and the main character is absolutely a pretty badass guy. Plus there is a romance element.

If you liked Darker Than Black, then I give the obligatory Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom plug. Basically the same shows, but Phantom is about guns and assassinations.

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo might deserve a slight nod as well, although romance isn't necessarily a big factor, and especially not with Champloo. The Big O also does have sort of a romance although it's really not a big part of the story, however Roger Smith is classic badassery all up and down that show.

I have not seen Scryed in a very, very, very long time. Not since it was on television (yeah, you know, television... Long time, right?). Again I request backup here, but I know there's at least one pair of romance and it has a lot of action.

Lastly, about half of the Gundams. Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, and Gundam Seed all have romantic sub-plots attached to their copious action seequences.

These probably aren't the most fantastic recommendations I've given but at least one of these should serve your needs!
Old 2013-01-03, 12:57   Link #6
Steven03

Thanks everybody, bakemonogatari may fit my tastes.
Might try angel beats(does this one have actual romance?) and haruhi and/or eden of the east.

Midori art/katanagatari art style just dont appeal to me, and someone spoiled me the end of the latter one, so, out of the question. chrome selled regios art just seemed weird to me, might give it a chance someday.

I have thought about tenpen topp,a but the main character looked like a kid so it didnt appeal to me. Already watched phantom and it fits my category and of a sad ending, and too much tragedy.

One question, isnt valkyria chonicles kinda like a reverse harem?
Steven03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 21:43   Link #7
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven03 View Post
I have thought about tenpen topp,a but the main character looked like a kid so it didnt appeal to me. Already watched phantom and it fits my category and of a sad ending, and too much tragedy.

One question, isnt valkyria chonicles kinda like a reverse harem?
As someone who has played the Valkyria Chronicles game, I recommend that to absolutely nobody. That's the kind of thing you would have to strap me to a chair to make me watch. So if you have a PS3 and you want a great game to play, give it a shot!

The main character of TTGL is younger, yes. However he does get older, and a lot of the focus of the series up until then is actually more on his best friend.
Old 2013-01-04, 04:29   Link #8
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Don't listen what Traece said. He's just looking for animes instead of games, but he will try Valkyria Chronicles anyways.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 05:49   Link #9
Arya

It could not fit your requirements but I'd suggest Chrno Crusade. I don't remember how explicit the romance is and the story is told more by the girl pov. Oh and it's a 2003/2004 anime. Nonetheless I suggest it

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote