AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: So which one is the best overall?
Family Guy 44 35.77%
South Park 60 48.78%
I'm a snob who looks down on these type of vulgar comedies >_<;;; 19 15.45%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-04-22, 21:34   Link #61
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Family Guy sucks. It's just a bunch of random low brow jokes, delivered without any sense of comedic timing. It might be funny if they just learned when to stop with a joke, but they don't. Man fighting with giant chicken for a few seconds, funny. Man fighting with giant chicken for 5 minutes, not so much. I will admit brian and stewie are funny though.
Indeed. family Guy is just a lame dumb show with lame dumb jokes. If they per chance find anything that's even remotely funny, they hold on to it like forever, because they don't have anything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
South Park at least tries to be relevent. Sometimes it fails, sometimes it succeeds. When it does manage to succeed, it's a great show.
Yes, they try at least. Sometimes they fail, and it's quite lame, but when they succed, it's nice.

Concerning the Simpsons, that's just very unfunny crap, even worse than Family Guy
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 21:39   Link #62
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina Inverse
Indeed. family Guy is just a lame dumb show with lame dumb jokes. If they per chance find anything that's even remotely funny, they hold on to it like forever, because they don't have anything else

Lame dummies- 34

Snobs - 9

I think you clicked the wrong choice ...
Old 2006-04-23, 17:26   Link #63
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
For being such an old program, I have nothing but admiration for the simpsons just for the being in the air so damn long, of course I dont find the recent episodes as funny as they were before, but I still enjoy it.

I choose South Park over Family Guy, the jokes in Family Guy just scape me, maybe is the lack of proper cultural reference that only a selected group of people born in the united states can get, but most of the show seems completly dumb for me, besides its unarguable that it is a simpsons rip-off, and I always favor original material over copies, even if the copy is better (which for me is not the case here anyway).

What I really dont like about all these shows is that they are popular because of their violence or sexual content, and not because of their underlying criticism of society. Most kids watch south park because Kenny dies in really gruesome ways in almost every episode.

Ok, lets be honest, I was there too, I listened to Marilyn Manson because it was the shocking band of the moment, luckily they werent shocking just for being shocking but also had a message that I could appreciate later, similar to the way South Park is, so at the very least some of that heavy criticism to modern society will stay with the kids who watch the show.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 17:17   Link #64
mistershow

I have to go with South Park...since it's so politically and socially charged!
mistershow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-03, 23:35   Link #65
Zelath

Send a message via AIM to Zelath Send a message via MSN to Zelath Send a message via Yahoo to Zelath
I like both shows, but if I were to pick it would have to be Family Guy. One thing I do not like about South Park is how everyone on there is basically a racist, which that kind of thing annoys me a lot, also there is way too much sexual-related "humor" on it as well.
Zelath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 23:58   Link #66
ClannadDango
A novice to anime

Of course South Park! Asking what is better: South Park or Family Guy is like asking which is better: Clannad or Lucky Star. Actually I take that back because Lucky Star isn't a racist, antisemetic show that uses lame jokes, flat characters, and offensive attacks. South Park is well written, each episode could be a plot for 2 hour movie, South Park is a smart show with many hidden symbolism and layers. Family Guy on the other hand is a cheap, crude humor cartoon that relies on potty humor to keep its audience.
ClannadDango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 00:15   Link #67
james0246

^LOL, "potty humor". You didn't really need to dig up a 4= year old thread just to say you do not like "potty humor" right?

That being said, since this thread has been revived, let's reorient the OP a little. Are there any here that would change their votes now, 4 years after originally voting? Specifically, has Family Guy/South Park grown stale or uninteresting in the interim between the original vote and the current season(s)?

Personally, of the now 3 McFarlane shows, American Dad blows Family Guy and The Cleveland Show out of the water like it was a South Korean boat sailing near North Korea (see, I made a Family Guy style joke ), so while I might have had some trepidation 4 years ago (if I was around to vote), I find South Park's hit and (sometimes) miss brand of humor far more appealing than anything in Family Guy nowadays...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 00:18   Link #68
Kiritsugane
Inquisitor

@ClannadDango: That goes both ways. Family Guy and South Park tend to be offensive or simply explicit.

I don't care much for either. A comedy shouldn't need to rely on explicit or otherwise crude humor [of that caliber] to be funny.
Kiritsugane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 00:18   Link #69
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Let the necromancy begin bwahahaha!!

It's hilarious reading my first post in this thread from over 4 years ago...If I were to revote, as of this second in time, I'd change it to South Park...In 2006 FG was funnier but in 2010 SP has regained it's edge...
Old 2010-07-29, 00:27   Link #70
Kudryavka

I voted the last choice, but I'm not a snob who looks down on them; they just truly creep me out, like all shows that use sensitive topics as humor fodder. Should I just grow up? >_>
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 01:23   Link #71
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Same as above. I don't really like either one tbh because the humour's not my style and I don't get half the jokes they make probably because I didn't grow up in the US.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 01:36   Link #72
the hispanic viewer

My main problem with family guy is that it wastes to much time. Like when peter hurts his knees he complains for a really long time and its not even funny. I also just perfer South Parks humor more. I mean its topics range from a wide variety and its of course funny. Even when I dont agree with some parts I can still laghf at south parks joke.
Old 2010-07-29, 01:44   Link #73
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

South Park all the way.

I do prefer to watch it dubbed, btw.
Old 2010-07-29, 01:44   Link #74
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The Simpsons.

...oh wait that wasn't a choice? Oh well, it should be.

Family Guy isn't even trying anymore and I never liked South Park.
Old 2010-07-29, 01:51   Link #75
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Family Guy isn't even trying anymore and I never liked South Park.
I agree with this statement as I use to like Family Guy, but newer has been worse for it.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 02:01   Link #76
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hispanic viewer View Post
My main problem with family guy is that it wastes to much time. Like when peter hurts his knees he complains for a really long time and its not even funny.
Yeah, I don't like that about FG either. There are so many jokes I've seen that would have worked well if they just cut them a few lines after the main punchline. The worst example was the episode where Peter brings O.J. Simpson to his house, and there's a spontaneous full live action music video of some guy that runs for about five whole minutes. I "What is this I don't even" and forgot I was watching Family Guy. Second worst was some gag where Captain Hook was at the doctor, I forgot why, but it was about a minute too long.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 02:18   Link #77
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

It's not JUST the fact that they waste time anymore with Family Guy for me, but also cause they have degraded from witty and clever to crude and repetitive. I mean seriously, jokes are re-used ALL, THE, F*CKING, TIME now in Family Guy. It's like all originality was completley strained out of it.

The characters have changed too much for them to be the ones I remember from early in the series too. Probably the most notable being Stewie, going from evil super-genious to whiney hinted-at homeosexual.
Old 2010-07-29, 02:40   Link #78
MetalCookie

Arrr! This is so hard! Both of them are my favourite shows.

Is both an option?
Old 2010-07-29, 04:54   Link #79
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

I find family guy boring too, I can understand that I won't get a lot of the jokes because I come from a younger audience who does not get all the references they make but even the ones I do get just seem bland. Their jokes consist of make a stupid reference, show said stupid reference, return to original scene or make stewie do something gay, meg gets bullied and chris does something stupid.

When simpsons got newer it gradually got better then worse but then it returned to good again in my opinion so any long running cartoon is going to run into that problem. I really like south park for 1 reason: Cartman and Butters, remove cartman and you lose the soul of South Park.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 05:29   Link #80
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

I voted "I'm a snob who looks down on these vulgar comedies" My brothers watch those shows and I think despite the humor, these shows are a bad influence and are derogatory in a way. Of course I'm not judging the show by seeing only a few scenes or by hearing from others. I have watched a few episodes since my brothers watch them and me being bored would have to put up with them watching shows they like.

And lol at awakening a 4 year old thread xD

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote