AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-06, 09:30   Link #3481
iLney

This is a scheme of aliens trying to weaken the Earth's defense....
Old 2009-08-06, 09:35   Link #3482
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
My god your right!

QUICKLY REMILITARIZE!

Well I'm sure we'll have those brand new weapons that'll fight off the aliens.

Like the common cold.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-08-06, 11:50   Link #3483
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
We can only hope. Remember, if all the nukes are gone, terrorists can't get them .

I'm actually quite happy that Putin is agreeing to the denuclearization, this is probably because wisely, Obama has also lowered US' weapon stockpiles, which of course was an act of good faith and a bit of "We can do it, so can you" for the Russians.

of course closer ties with the Russians may also finally break the long and frankly stupid cold-war attitude towards them.
Aye, if there are no nukes to get... then someone would have to make them.

One thing to keep in mind is just how far along this goal we've gotten since the 1970s. This table from the NRDC showing stockpile counts through the years is helpful: http://www.nrdc.org/nuclear/nudb/datab19.asp (1966 was a pretty incredible year)

OTOH most of our nukes are now fairly small in size with more wallop and can be dropped on a selected gnat. I'm also pretty sure that chart does not include tac-nukes (<20kilotons with low radiation residue).
Old 2009-08-06, 13:05   Link #3484
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I'm pretty sure people have realized that nukes are for yesterday's war. Today we have thermobaric bombs, and precision-guided missiles. We could also just sit still and engineer for somebody's economy to lose power *cough*.
Old 2009-08-06, 13:15   Link #3485
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I'm pretty sure people have realized that nukes are for yesterday's war. Today we have thermobaric bombs, and precision-guided missiles. We could also just sit still and engineer for somebody's economy to lose power *cough*.
Predator Drones
Flesh eating Robots
Cyborg Bugs
Skynet
Old 2009-08-06, 18:19   Link #3486
james0246

I didn't see this listed, so...

'80s teen flick director John Hughes dies in NYC

Quote:
NEW YORK – Writer-director John Hughes, Hollywood's youth impresario of the 1980s and '90s who captured the teen and preteen market with such favorites as "Home Alone," "The Breakfast Club" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," died Thursday, a spokeswoman said. He was 59.
Hughes' ensemble comedies helped make stars out of Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy and many other young performers. He also scripted the phenomenally popular "Home Alone," which made little-known Macaulay Culkin a sensation as the 8-year-old accidentally abandoned by his vacationing family, and wrote or directed such hits as "National Lampoon's Vacation," "Pretty in Pink," "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" and "Uncle Buck."

Actor Matthew Broderick worked with Hughes in 1986 when he played the title character in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

"I am truly shocked and saddened by the news about my old friend John Hughes. He was a wonderful, very talented guy and my heart goes out to his family," Broderick said.

As Hughes advanced into middle age, his commercial touch faded and, in Salinger style, he increasingly withdrew from public life. His last directing credit was in 1991, for "Curly Sue," and he wrote just a handful of scripts over the past decade. He was rarely interviewed or photographed.
Ignoring some of the scholoky teen films he did (Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles (it's probably noticable, but I hate Molly Ringwald ), Hughes was the director and writer of 2 of my favourite John Candy films (Uncle Buck and Planes, Trains & Automobiles), not to mention writing the great National Lampoon's Vacation and a plethora of other great comedies.
Old 2009-08-06, 19:58   Link #3487
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
As much as it sounds like a great idea, the cynical side of me believes that the day the US gets rid of nukes is the day the US makes them obsolete in favour of a newly-developed orbital Ion Cannon Network.

I think an orbital drop of rabid bunnies and flesh-eating cyborgs is more lethal than that.

On a serious note, anti-satellite weapons exist. The network may be less efficient than delivering nukes in ICBMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Predator Drones
Flesh eating Robots
Cyborg Bugs
Skynet
You forgot Rayman's Raving Rabbids and moekkos. The abovementioned is half as destructive as a horde of screaming rabbits in yellow submarines or some rich man's eccentric keyboardist daughter acquiring world-altering powers.

IMO, with Russia's Akula subs in the international waters recently, I don't think the motive to end the Cold War would end at all, but rather, frozen as Obama takes his term.

P.S Talking about flesh-eating cyborgs, do they behave the same as their brain-lusting ex-human counterparts?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2009-08-06 at 23:37.
Old 2009-08-06, 21:04   Link #3488
Shadow Kira01

Team succeeds in photographing radiation from 1945 'death ash'

Quote:
The pictures are evidence that the nuclear ''death ash'' continues to emit radiation inside the human body even after 60-plus years, according to Kazuko Shichijo, an assistant professor at Nagasaki University, a member of the team.
Quote:
Little progress has been made in the study on the effects of internal exposure to radiation. The team's success is the first of its kind in proving that atomic bomb victims were exposed to radiation from the inside as well as from outside.
Quote:
''Plutonium passes through the human body when people are exposed to it from the outside,'' said Nanao Kamada, professor emeritus of radiation biology at Hiroshima University. ''But the study shows that it enters cells and emits radiation from inside the human body.''
Sounds rather serious...
Old 2009-08-07, 03:41   Link #3489
sa547
*Author

^
They have yet to publish it to a journal, which would make their discovery more credible.

Hughes, requiescat in pace.
Old 2009-08-07, 05:16   Link #3490
npcomplete

Touchable Holography
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-P1zZAcPuw

uses Wiimotes for tracking and ultrasound to generate pinpoint force
Old 2009-08-07, 06:30   Link #3491
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
Touchable Holography
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-P1zZAcPuw

uses Wiimotes for tracking and ultrasound to generate pinpoint force
And the first step towards building a holodeck has been made. The extinction of mankind is proceeding nicely. All they need to do is increase the scale and make it completely immersive.
Old 2009-08-07, 07:08   Link #3492
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Hmmm, a Horodeck ...

*ahem*

Don't forget Star Trek Rule #123: The holodeck will fail, critically, and before the first commercial break.

So yes, it will be the end of humanity but faster than you might imagine.
Old 2009-08-07, 09:54   Link #3493
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
It only takes 100 nuclear missiles to take care of the Islamist threat. I wonder why politics seem to always get in the way and force armies to fight long, low-intensity conflicts when they clearly aren't built for one.

20,000,000 hostile deaths > 4000 friendly deaths.
Old 2009-08-07, 10:03   Link #3494
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Not really a News since the programe aired some fortnight back, but I think it's worth a mention.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...1/midmorning2/

An interview with Dr. James A Levine of Mayo Clinic on radio in which he talks about a visit to the slums of Mumbai in which he encountered a young female prostitute writting in a notebook and spur him to write his own novel and have it publish.

Quite an eye opening interview in which he says why is there still such a thing as sexual slavery in today's modern world in which all forms of salvery has been abolished. Why is the India Government turning a blind eye and most interestingly, he mentioned outright that there is a quater of a million child prostitute in America alone.
Old 2009-08-07, 10:45   Link #3495
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Quite an eye opening interview in which he says why is there still such a thing as sexual slavery in today's modern world in which all forms of salvery has been abolished. Why is the India Government turning a blind eye and most interestingly, he mentioned outright that there is a quater of a million child prostitute in America alone.
Is there a transcript of the interview? No offense to the author, whose sentiment I respect and whose cause I support, but what exactly is his definition of "child prostitute" here?

I find it hard to believe that there's literally a quarter million *child* prostitutes in the USA. That would a be total, utter disgrace to the US law enforcement system, not to mention it would make regular headline news in the sensationalized US media, which didn't happen yet. If, however, one counts all underage prostitution, using a fuzzy legal definition (as "underage" is in itself fuzzy, being different in places and circumstances), it is more likely. If one broadly defines "prostitution" in this case to activities other than the horrid human trafficking/slave trade going on in many parts of the world, then the number becomes much more likely...and less relevant.
Old 2009-08-07, 10:57   Link #3496
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
It only takes 100 nuclear missiles to take care of the Islamist threat. I wonder why politics seem to always get in the way and force armies to fight long, low-intensity conflicts when they clearly aren't built for one.

Al-Qaeda is watching the net and actively flushing out blasphemous infidels by systematically killing the victims' fellow beings. Be careful about what you post because you might be risking the life of your fellow posters.

Quote:
Not really a News since the programe aired some fortnight back, but I think it's worth a mention.

An interview with Dr. James A Levine of Mayo Clinic on radio in which he talks about a visit to the slums of Mumbai in which he encountered a young female prostitute writting in a notebook and spur him to write his own novel and have it publish.

Does it include prostitutes who dress themselves up like adolescents? Looks can deceive.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-08-07, 10:57   Link #3497
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post

Absolutely, just wipe the Middle East, Afghanistan and Pakistan right off the map! Might as well get rid of North Korea while we're at it, I mean they can't get too cocky because they can make a few nukes now .
Old 2009-08-07, 11:16   Link #3498
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I love his certainty that when the bombs fall, he won't be under one of them...
Old 2009-08-07, 12:20   Link #3499
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

He's either playing the bullshit "child" game where everyone under 21 or 25 is a child (often used to inflate gun violence numbers against children as well), misspoke, or lied and demolished his credibility. Next we'll hear from the Missing Children people who use extremely dodgy methods to create their mind-boggling numbers of "abducted children" every year.

His topic and cause are very important -- which makes it all the more critical not to play fast and loose with numbers.
Old 2009-08-07, 13:03   Link #3500
Saleh
Inactive

@MakubeX2: While developed countries do try to make genuine effort to solve these problems, developing countries have a very long way to go in regards to moral, ethical values and human rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
He's either playing the bullshit "child" game where everyone under 21 or 25 is a child (often used to inflate gun violence numbers against children as well), misspoke, or lied and demolished his credibility. Next we'll hear from the Missing Children people who use extremely dodgy methods to create their mind-boggling numbers of "abducted children" every year.
Some reports that you might want to have a look at -
Prostitution Statistic, Global March
Children of the Night: Child Prostitution is America's Dirty Little Secret
Prostitution section, Department of Justice
Trafficking in Persons: The U.S. and International Response
ECPAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOJ
Although comprehensive research to document the number of children engaged in prostitution in the United States is lacking, it is estimated that about 293,000 American youth are currently at risk of becoming victims of commercial sexual exploitation. Richard J. Estes and Neil Alan Weiner, Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children in the U.S, Canada and Mexico, University of Pennsylvania, Executive Summary at 11-12 (2001) (available at http://caster.ssw.upenn.edu/~restes/CSEC.htm); see also Mia Spangenberg, Prostituted Youth in New York City: An Overview (available at http://www.ecpatusa.org/child_prosti_us.asp). The majority of American victims of commercial sexual exploitation tend to be runaway or thrown away youth who live on the streets who become victims of prostitution. Id. at 11-12. These children generally come from homes where they have been abused, or from families that have abandoned them, Richard J. Estes and Neil Alan Weiner, Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children in the U.S, Canada and Mexico, University of Pennsylvania, at 3 (2001) [hereinafter Estes Report], and often become involved in prostitution as a way to support themselves financially or to get the things they want or need.
Atleast, Dr. James A Levine didn't conjure the number out of thin air.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international