AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hidan no Aria

Notices

Old 2011-07-29, 21:40   Link #2321
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Well, I'm not sure if this thread is appropriate for HnG-AA manga or not, but I wanna ask what is it about? Along with the characters that are new to me too.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-30, 00:23   Link #2322
mechdra

Description of Hidan no aria AA:

A young girl idolizes the world-renowned S-ranked butei Kanzaki H. Aria and plans to follow in her footsteps. However, her test grades her out as only an E-rank! All is not lost, however, as Aria agrees to give her some pointers. Can Aria help this newcomer become a first-rate butei? (Baka-updates, 2011).

The main character:
Mami Akari: class 1-A, assault, rank E, height: 139cm, weapon: micro uzi
Hino Raika: class 1-A, assault, height: 165cm, weapon: ACR with supressor and grenade launcher
Sasaki Shino: class 1-A, inquesta, height: 155cm, weapon saber/katana, nodachi named The Drying Pole (probably the sword used by Sasaki Kojiro).
Kanzaki H. Aria

Cameo: Kinji, Fuuma, Reki, Riko and Ranbyou

Last edited by mechdra; 2011-07-30 at 00:52.
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-30, 00:43   Link #2323
Suiri Megami Alice
お兄ちゃんどいて! そいつ殺せない!

HnA AA features a system called Amica, where they form a two-man team that comprised of a senior and a junior, with the former guiding the latter (like a mentor-student relationship).

Think of it as MariMite, Butei version.
Suiri Megami Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-30, 04:30   Link #2324
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdra View Post
Description of Hidan no aria AA:

A young girl idolizes the world-renowned S-ranked butei Kanzaki H. Aria and plans to follow in her footsteps. However, her test grades her out as only an E-rank! All is not lost, however, as Aria agrees to give her some pointers. Can Aria help this newcomer become a first-rate butei? (Baka-updates, 2011).

The main character:
Mami Akari: class 1-A, assault, rank E, height: 139cm, weapon: micro uzi
Hino Raika: class 1-A, assault, height: 165cm, weapon: ACR with supressor and grenade launcher
Sasaki Shino: class 1-A, inquesta, height: 155cm, weapon saber/katana, nodachi named The Drying Pole (probably the sword used by Sasaki Kojiro).
Kanzaki H. Aria

Cameo: Kinji, Fuuma, Reki, Riko and Ranbyou
If I remember clearly in manga, I saw her wielding H&K G11. Raika wield FN FAL, and Shino was seen wielding M4 as well. Well, just saw that in Vol. 2.

Besides, do those trio show some similarities to Aria, Shirayuki etc.?
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-30, 05:56   Link #2325
mechdra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
If I remember clearly in manga, I saw her wielding H&K G11. Raika wield FN FAL, and Shino was seen wielding M4 as well. Well, just saw that in Vol. 2.

Besides, do those trio show some similarities to Aria, Shirayuki etc.?
Those rifle are probably testing rifle as you can see there are many other rifle behind Aria on the same page. There is also AWP on one of the page.

Personality wise, I am not sure since I do not understand japanese as well but based on observation, they are similar in soeways to each character. The new loli is almost like Riko for being a sweet lolita and busty despite her size, she seems cligy and outspoken as well. Shino reminds me of Shirayuki since she is an ojou and posessive towards Akari. Akari is more like your typical innocent girl but has concern about her height somewhat like Aria. Raika is my favourite, she kinds of reminds me of Hinamori Amu from Shugo Chara, cool looking girl who is very girly inside. From what I can see, she is the sensitive maiden type.
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 07:38   Link #2326
AP24

Sales result for vol.2 of Hidan no Aria DVD/BD is out. In the first week, it sold 2,030 DVD + 3,625 BD = 5,655. It could reach at least 6,500 next week.

It was expected to be lower than vol.1 which sold 7,323 but to be able to sell this much is still quite good. At this rate, the average sale for the whole season could be 6,000-7,000.

I think this should be enough for a second season to be made, since Zero no Tsukaima didn’t reach 6,000 but it still managed to get 3 seasons. It’s better if Hidan no Aria average at least 6,500 cause no one-cour JC Staff series since 2004 had reached this much.

If JC Staff won’t make another season based on these sales then they are just being unreasonable.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 13:43   Link #2327
tsunade666

They already being unreasonable for doing a bad work on the season 1.

-_- I hate to see a butchered vol 4 and 5. Specially 5. Where the end of prologue story and start of the main story. Though technically the story starts at vol 8 or end of vol 7 >.>
Old 2011-08-02, 18:30   Link #2328
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I'm surprised vol. 2 sales are doing so good, what with the non-uncensoring and all. After that, I thought fans would have been pissed.
Old 2011-08-02, 21:06   Link #2329
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I'm surprised vol. 2 sales are doing so good, what with the non-uncensoring and all. After that, I thought fans would have been pissed.
In all honesty it was really only a small number of scenes... Bah nvm, I'm sure it's just a one off mistake.

All things considered, they did well to stay on par with Denpa Onna... Okay, not really 'on par' but just close enough to give the Denpa Onna fans something to bitch about.

The real shocker comes from Dog Days, which somehow manages to scrap the gates of the holy land with their 9.6+k sales ! I was totally expecting them to be on the same class as Denpa and Aria. Whether this would be consistent for the other volumes remains to be seen... Some shows have deceptively strong 1st volumes...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 22:33   Link #2330
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Well... Dog Days was probably last season's Infinite Shitos, but at least I feel that there's more merit to DD's 9.6k than IS's crazy sales figures ever did.
Old 2011-08-03, 04:38   Link #2331
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
In all honesty it was really only a small number of scenes... Bah nvm, I'm sure it's just a one off mistake.
You mean it was only a small number of scenes that were left censored out of a larger number of scenes, or that there were only a handful of scenes to leave censored in the first place?
Old 2011-08-03, 05:18   Link #2332
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Well... Dog Days was probably last season's Infinite Shitos, but at least I feel that there's more merit to DD's 9.6k than IS's crazy sales figures ever did.
Nono, you see... selling close to 10k is a pleasant [surprise!].

Selling over 30k is a goddamn [SHOCKU!!!].

Maybe this would convince Tsuzuki to do something else other than Nanoha... Probably not...

ANYWAY Moving back to Aria, this may or may not increase the chances of a second season, but it certainly isn't going to be a priority for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
You mean it was only a small number of scenes that were left censored out of a larger number of scenes, or that there were only a handful of scenes to leave censored in the first place?
I mean the total number of censored scenes were really a small number... Like... ONE.
Old 2011-08-03, 05:50   Link #2333
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I mean the total number of censored scenes were really a small number... Like... ONE.
And I mean "as in 1 scene left censored out of several scenes," or "there was just one scene in those two episodes that was ever censored at all"?

(I haven't actually watched the series yet; it's sitting on my HDD, but I've been procrastinating it )
Old 2011-08-03, 11:56   Link #2334
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Don't watch it. Read some other medium.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 21:27   Link #2335
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I think I discovered why Hidan no Aria falls short on its anime adaptation.
The one who directed the (seemingly-nonexistent) Tsukihime anime series also directed Hidan no Aria.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 22:34   Link #2336
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

If only the director for Index could direct all of JC Staff's work. We'd get loyal adaptations every time.
Old 2011-08-03, 22:40   Link #2337
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

It's a loyal adaptation. It follows the story perfectly well (?). It's just bad.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 01:20   Link #2338
AP24

The guy who directed Tsukihime didn't direct Hidan no Aria. The director for Hidan no Aria had directed all Shakugan no Shana seasons including the upcoming one.

The anime for both Aria and Shana are not quite good compared to the light novels. So it's obvious that the director is to be blamed. I just hope he won't screw up the upcoming final season of Shana as well.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:28   Link #2339
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
If only the director for Index could direct all of JC Staff's work. We'd get loyal adaptations every time.
It was as loyal as it can be expected the major points were still kept, the main problem that people will tell you is the execution and the average production value.

Execution... I'm not unreasonable, I know that written stories don't always translate well into real time especially if you're trying to make it fit into 22 minutes... I'm also fine with originality... But my main gripes is that I'm just not feeling the emotions of the characters.

As for production values... I know that having high quality does not guarantee good sales... But at the same time, I have never seen low quality ever doing great. But budget is something that just can't be helped.
Old 2011-08-04, 03:51   Link #2340
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy.Tear View Post
It's a loyal adaptation. It follows the story perfectly well (?). It's just bad.
I would add it is badly directed, and the budget poured in it just show that the studio didn't even want to try. A good director can make gold out of a seemingly bad story, like elite mercenaries goes on a mission to save a politic then meet alien, and then you have bad direction that ruins a movie when the source material is critically acclaimed. The LN were nothing spectacular to me, but have a little something that makes me check about it regularly. But yeah, uninspired and lazy direction ruined the animated adaptation, as demonstrated by Jeanne vs Shirayuki, when it was possible to enhance from the original material, with the right flair (I think of Full Metal Panic The Second Raid as changes from the LN done for the better).

EDIT: To give people a bigger understanding as for why I used Jeanne vs Shirayuki, supposed to be the climax of Durandal arc, as the example of the staff not even trying, it's like KyoAni decided to focus on Kyon internally commenting instead of showing us Nagato vs Asakura.

Last edited by Sheba; 2011-08-05 at 00:31. Reason: stuff
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, guns, harem, loli, romance, school life, shounen, tsundere