AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

View Poll Results: True Tears - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 22 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 45.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 16.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-30, 15:19   Link #21
FTV

Oh... dang. Sucks for Jun.
Old 2008-01-31, 10:53   Link #22
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Everything about this series just spells excellent in my book, the animation, the story, the characters, everything. While I still like to watch series like Shana II, Clannad, and now Spice and Wolf, True Tears seems to be the most excellent out of them all. Every episode is just great. I hope this series continues like this.
Old 2008-01-31, 15:48   Link #23
Chewy

This show absolutely hooked me after 4 episodes. I was initially skeptical because I know the game was horrid, and I figured the apple wouldn't fall far from the tree, but they did a great job with the characters for the anime. Let's hope they can keep it up and develop some interesting conflicts for them soon.
Old 2008-01-31, 19:37   Link #24
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

After watching the 4 first episode I find I often get lost in the rythm of the serie.

First Hiromi acts completely cold towards Shinichiro as if she couldn't care less about him and in a couple episodes she's all infatuated with him? Maybe it's seeing a girl move on her territory that made her change her attitude?

Ai is my favorite so far, and the only girl who's actively trying to get closer to Shinichiro. Not to mention the only one who doesn't take him for granted. Although from what I gather she's supposedly the other guy's girlfriend? Although I think it was a shaky arrangement at best seeing she doesn't like him that way.

Noe is just weird, and it's what makes her cute in a way.
Old 2008-01-31, 23:16   Link #25
cloudninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
After watching the 4 first episode I find I often get lost in the rythm of the serie.

First Hiromi acts completely cold towards Shinichiro as if she couldn't care less about him and in a couple episodes she's all infatuated with him? Maybe it's seeing a girl move on her territory that made her change her attitude?

Ai is my favorite so far, and the only girl who's actively trying to get closer to Shinichiro. Not to mention the only one who doesn't take him for granted. Although from what I gather she's supposedly the other guy's girlfriend? Although I think it was a shaky arrangement at best seeing she doesn't like him that way.

Noe is just weird, and it's what makes her cute in a way.
This is the only show I remember where I have watched each episode at least twice while the show is still in progress. It's worth it because there are things that you will likely overlook the first time and you will make the connections and see the subtle things you missed previously. If you like the show so far and have the time it's probably worth it to watch the first 4 episodes a second time. Things do make more sense now than when I first watched each episode and my opinion of this show rose even higher after I grasped some details that slipped past me the first time.
Old 2008-02-01, 01:36   Link #26
zero7090

Spoiler for spoil:
Old 2008-02-01, 02:14   Link #27
cloudninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
Spoiler for spoil:
Spoiler for the question above:

Last edited by cloudninja; 2008-02-01 at 02:24.
Old 2008-02-01, 18:14   Link #28
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudninja View Post
...My impression of the guys behind the show are of smart and talented people who can come up with something better than that because it's got such a special and unique feel to it so far. It definitely stands out compared to other shows of this genre and I'm hopeful that it will continue to do so.
I know the word "guy" is somewhat gender-neutral, but I thought I'd mention that the lead writer for this show is a woman, Okada Mari. She wrote many episodes of Simoun, and was lead writer on Sketchbook, Kodomo no Jikan, Mamoru-kun, and the two Sasami anime. The director -- who probably had a huge hand in the overall story, since he is sometimes a writer, too -- is a man, however, Nishimura Junji, the director of Simoun.

As for your main point, I agree: I don't see them doing anything cheap here. I just watched an interview with Takagaki Ayahi (Noe) and Iguchi Yuka (Ai) and they were saying that this franchise may have started out as a love-sim game, but the anime is a complete rewrite, making it into a human drama.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2008-02-02, 09:19   Link #29
Gameboiye
Big Reader/Small Poster

Damn I just watched all 4 episodes today, this is such a great series. I'm happy I started watching it.

On a side note, I wonder what would happen if this pulled a school days and picked the bad ending of the game (or good depending on how you look at it XD) LOL?
Old 2008-02-02, 09:26   Link #30
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Gameboiye ~ Um. I'd prefer it if we just avoid the lulz of School Days...
Old 2008-02-02, 10:40   Link #31
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Same. I would prefer SD to remain a unique series to me rather than having clones running of and doing the same

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-02-02, 10:53   Link #32
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

And I would prefer if we could let unlikely comparisons with School Days outside of this subforum
Old 2008-02-02, 10:55   Link #33
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Deathkillz ~ I could also add, it's way too early for clone-series... so not much need to worry about it.

edit. Pelly beat me to it. Damn my lazy typing.
Old 2008-02-02, 10:58   Link #34
Westlo
Lets be reality

I really enjoyed this 4th episode of True Tears and it has now moved to be my second favorite of the season. It's rare for me to actually like all the girls who can potentially end up with the lead, but in the case of True Tears I actually do. Now I think everyone watching wasn't buying that shit Hiromi was selling to Shin about liking the #4, of course Shin is though because he thinks she wanted to get closer to Noe because of Jun. Now the thing is since Noe and Jun go to different schools how in the hell would Hiromi know they're related? Last name sure... but she only calls him #4 which shows she has no idea of his name.

Now Aiko gets involved I just have to say I love her bgm theme. It was nice to finally see a lot more of her and we find out (I'm sure it wasn't revealed earlier, at least in the show) she's the childhood friend/like a sister girl for this show. Obviously we see how much she likes him (buying a top she found plain because he looked at it) and at the same time we see her relationship with Nobuse is in trouble. It seems that Shin hooked them up, now why did she accept it? Was she seeing less and less of Shin as the years went on, and decided this was the best way to still constantly be around him? I'm guessing we will see her reasons very soon, maybe the next ep or the 6th.

Now Hiromi just gets brutalized by Shin and his mother in the following scene. Shin nearly reduces Hiromi to tears when he plays off the incident from the other day as him being an idiot. Wouldn't that give him a clue that she was lying? Oh well seems he really does love her with the way they did what he was saying, what he was thinking and the way he reacted once in bed.

Shin's mum comes which makes Shin leave straight away and she throws in a cheap shot at Hiromi about how her eyes look like her mothers. Will be interesting to see if her hatred of her is for a valid reason later on. Maybe Hiromi isn't Shin's half sister but after she was born her mother and Shin's father had an affair. So her mum might be funneling her hatred at Hiromi, or she considers her trash who would do the same to her Shin if she ended up with him.

Anyway rest of the episode was rather cute aside from Jun's near incest like actions to Noe. Wonder why he asked Shin to go out with Noe, Noe seems to want to help Shin with Hiromi more than anything else.

I rewatched from when Ai-chan met shin until Shin's mother layed the smack down on Hiromi and the awful CG was really obvious. Though I didn't really notice it during my first watch, probably because I was reading the subs and looking at the main characters.

Also rewatching a few scenes in the first episode I can't believe I missed Shin mentally undressing Hiromi at breakfast.

Next episode preview looks interesting, I'm guessing Shin's mother sees Shin and Hiromi walking together and really lays into Hiromi the first chance she gets. Also Jun finding out about #6/Hiromi being at Shin's house will be interesting, how will Shin react especially since he thinks Hiromi likes him.

9/10
Old 2008-02-02, 12:52   Link #35
cloudninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Now the thing is since Noe and Jun go to different schools how in the hell would Hiromi know they're related? Last name sure... but she only calls him #4 which shows she has no idea of his name.
At the beginning of episode 4 Hiromi explains that they first met the previous year when Jun (#4) had a game against her school and she talked to him at that time while fulfilling her duties in the basketball club. She was also a scorekeeper/statistician or something similar for the boys game so she needed to know every players' name to do the job. It's possible that they might have met one more previous time if Hiromi played a game against Jun's school. Of course I don't think her interaction with Jun got any further than that. She was probably just covering up for her lie about liking Jun while talking on the way home with Shinichiro because he caught her saying that lie.

Last edited by cloudninja; 2008-02-02 at 13:30.
Old 2008-02-03, 17:39   Link #36
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

The bad thing about being away for a week is that I had to wait so long to see this ep. The good thing is that I don't have to wait all that long to see the next.

This series is incredible. There's just so much complexity to all of these characters, and we're only just scratching at the surface. Even Isurugi Jun, who could well have been thrown in just as a plot device, grapples with a difficult issue that defines a real walking-talking character and gives him a reasonable motivation to do what would usually be unreasonable. These characters are simply amazing and the writing is more than doing them justice. Bravo.... (provided an unforeseen drop in quality doesn't eventuate).
Old 2008-02-03, 23:50   Link #37
DanielSong39

Eh, I think "incredible" is going a bit far. It's quite good when it comes to character development and paying attention to details. The writing is solid as well.

With that said I have to admit that I don't always find the characters interesting. They seem overly stuffy at times and just can't seem to break out of their shell. Noe is an exception and can potentially pull this show to greater heights.

Quality and complexity doesn't always equal entertainment and I believe this show is a textbook example. No question it's still a very good show, but I don't see the separation between this show and a show like Asatte no Houkou (another quality show with excellent writing).
Old 2008-02-04, 00:41   Link #38
jaisrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Eh, I think "incredible" is going a bit far. It's quite good when it comes to character development and paying attention to details. The writing is solid as well.

With that said I have to admit that I don't always find the characters interesting. They seem overly stuffy at times and just can't seem to break out of their shell. Noe is an exception and can potentially pull this show to greater heights.

Quality and complexity doesn't always equal entertainment and I believe this show is a textbook example. No question it's still a very good show, but I don't see the separation between this show and a show like Asatte no Houkou (another quality show with excellent writing).
I thought Asatte no Houkou was an ok show but it was'nt that exciting or captivating. I finished it mostly because I hate leaving shows once I get started on one unless it's really bad. If I had waited until it was over and decided whether to watch Asatte no Houkou based on ratings by other people I probably would have skipped it and not feel that I missed out on anything great even in retrospect after having did watch it. I think True Tears does a better job of hooking you in with the drama among other things. I wondered what others thought so I checked and True Tears has significantly higher ratings for now compared to Asatte no Houkou.

Asatte no Houkou http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=4339 has 7.42 permanent and 7.70 temporary ratings. Kind of mediocre ratings actually.

True Tears http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=4325 has a 8.40 temporary rating and it has actually been creeping up the last couple of weeks. If it can stay this high or higher and the permanent rating is similar this show would rank in the upper echelon in the database.

Of course over a sample of hundreds there are guys who would give Asatte no Houkou a higher score to True Tears because the former appeals to them more but there are reasons why one show averages significantly higher ratings over another. It comes down to holding and keeping the attention of the audience because of the story and characters.
Old 2008-02-04, 18:29   Link #39
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post

You're right, it doesn't, and Asatte no Houkou is a really good example of such a show (and while I think that was still ultimately a good show, I'd say it was the writing that let it down slightly in the end). That's why shows like Honey and Clover deserve such wraps, IMO, since they manage to be technically proficient and still have a huge amount of charm and entertainment value. But I still stand by calling True Tears "incredible" even if it has only been four eps. It's the characters that are winning me over so comprehensively, and I'm generally of the opinion that if the characters are complex and likable enough like they are here, they should be able to carry the show themselves.... that the rest of this show is so well executed just makes it all the better.

Standard disclaimer: There's still nothing preventing this show from suddenly falling over before the end, but, on what we've seen so far, I'd be very surprised (and disappointed).
Old 2008-03-03, 02:41   Link #40
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Just a question on episode 4. Was Hiromi lieing when she told shinichiro that she had exchanges with Noe's brother? And as by those exchanges did she mean like even after the friendly game? or Just while the event happend.

Because i was wondering if she lied . Noe's brother was like who is she. But at the same time remembered her afterward. I was wondering if she had lied or not because well, He ( Noe's brother) addressed her as number 4 of the team, While at the time friendly game took place, werent they just Class reps and not in the team? And the game couldnt have been the girls basketbal team vs the boys.

So i was thinking she might have lieing about it completly and they had never actually met as class reps.

So the quesiton is, Was she lieing about meeting Noe's brother at all as class reps?