AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2003-11-26, 21:42   Link #21
goofy

This is my top 5 anime:
1. Yu Yu Hakusho
2. InuYasha
3. Rurouni Kenshin
4. Angelic Layer
5. Mahoromatic
goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 22:48   Link #22
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
No particular order:

- Cowboy Bebop
- Akira
- Rurouni Kenshin OVA (both Tsuiokohen and Seisouhen)
- One Piece (may become a classic later... very funny, and one of the most famous nowadays)
- Mononoke Hime
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-27, 00:04   Link #23
Dryad
Steam Counter-Spoon 1.6

-Ninja Scroll
-Akira
-cowboy Bebop
-.Hack//sign
-Escaflowne

No special order except for Ninja Scroll that is still my favorite one,
Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-27, 00:06   Link #24
§sanrio§
Mizu No Megami

Send a message via AIM to §sanrio§ Send a message via Yahoo to §sanrio§
Hm...in no particular order:

1. Chobits
2. Inuyasha
3. Fruits Basket
4. Card Captor Sakura
5. Ah My Goddess

I haven't been around anime that much.....XD I have lotsa other stuff to do...
§sanrio§ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-27, 08:06   Link #25
wao
OK.

Hm... This isn't really 5 but...

Rurouni Kenshin - Tokyo & Kyoto arc, as well as Tsuiokuhen OVA, as well as (not really anime) the FULL Seisouhen arc inthe manga

(I refuse to accept the last arc of the TV series as part of the story, because it was, IMO, sucky fillers made because they didn't want to wait patiently for Watsuki to finish Seisouhen and wanted to milk out money... and then when they animated Seisouhen they left out all the interesting stuff like Rakuninmura. :<)

Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna (I don't care if it's preachy. ;P)

Just about every single Ghibli movie!

Princess Tutu (While I was sick of watching the last parts of the first few eps as they were so sweet and predictable, later it got quite good - and all the good stuff is hidden, you need to think and then you realise, DAMN this has some good things... and who can't resist Tchaikovsky )

Gunslinger Girl (So far... I dunno what it is, I just like it. The OP also >you)

Aaaah, I forgot the rest. :|

Last Exile was pretty nice...

Arr, I'll throw in FLCL as well. Crazy as hell, but that's the point. XP
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-27, 09:07   Link #26
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

I could never order my favorites. So in no particular order, the 5 best anime I've ever seen.

GTO - I have yet to find anything like it. It's funny, a little ecchi, a little dramatic, and has some of the best character development ever. Onizuka is my idol, and the plot devices are simply genius, without resorting to cliche. Like most great things, it ended before it's time. The ending wasn't up to expectations, but luckily there's manga. Regardless of the fact that this didn't live long enough to properly end, it's still one of the most unique and amazing shows I've ever seen.

Cowboy Bebop - Too unique, amazing characters, music, this is just obvious.

Grave of the Fireflies - Such a gripping film. I literally had tears in my eyes during nearly the ENTIRE film. I'm really lucky I watched this one alone.

GITS SAC - This is just a marvel of modern anime. The production is through the roof, and nearly everything about this show oozes greatness.

Jungle Guu Deluxe - The TV show was definately good, but there were some definite mixed bag episodes. The Deluxe OVA was pretty much, all out funniness, all the way through. I laughed harder during the "Final Punch" scene than I've ever laughed at anything in my entire life.

Honorable mention - Full Metal Panic (season 1, and Fumoffu) For all intents and purposes I consider these 2 seasons to be a complete and single entity, as the Fumoffu season is largely filler from the manga fit into place of the first season. The characters for the show are amazing well designed and developed.
LiQuid|J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-27, 19:55   Link #27
FMPFaN83
Sick of Power Abuse

First off Ninja Scroll, i saw this when i rather young lol regardless very interesting and violent -- Hey lookie a blood fountain --

Second Nadesico, I loved the way it poked fun at anime genres. Keep that in mind the next time you watch it lol it might make sense in a new way. I didn't get Prince of Darkness tho.

Third, quite appart Full Metal Panic, it was a killer the idea of a sergent in highschool i still healthing from the splits it left in my sides.

Fourth, Trigun very emotional ups and downs i really liked it.

Last and certainly not least, Chobits lol dont flame me for it, really nothing special, ceot it the first anime my girlfriend sat down and watched together Chiii!

BTW, death to cowboy bebop :P lol
FMPFaN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-28, 07:44   Link #28
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Wow i can't imagine only choosing just 5. I have loved so many shows over the years. I will however pick ones that i feel are important to me as an anime fan.

No particular order here either:

1. Love Hina- first show that showed me that drama love stories can be really entertaining and make me almost piss myself several times.

2. Cowboy Bebop- THE series that got me to start watching episodic anime because i thought it was too costly and not good enough to offset the purchase prices, and showed me that you can put many characters together and like most of em.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion- the second series to solidify that series anime rocks. Also really screwed me up in the head. Didn't think anime could make you think like that. Though the ending could have made a bit more sense so that i didn't lose many many hours of thought and discussion on it and still have no conclusion.

4. Grave of the Fireflies- Another anime that showed me something that i was not aware of. That was that animation can instill many emotions. Thought provoking yes but enough to make you cry no, well boy was i wrong. I have not cried so much watching anything as i did with this movie.

5. Ninja Scroll(movie)- The anime that got me to watch anime in the first place. At that time in my life i was growing out of cartoons and a friend said to try this movie because it rocked. Thought it was going to being like all cartoons. Boy was i shocked by how bad ass it was. Been hooked on anime ever since.

Now there are many many many other shows and anime that i love to death but i would take way too much space to talk about them.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-28, 08:21   Link #29
taro-kun

Send a message via MSN to taro-kun
My top 5:
Evangelion
Now & then, here & there
Berserk
Kenshin Tsuioku Hen
Cowboy Bebop

In my opinion, you could not mix series and movies cause the quality and possiblities are quite different. (Xcuse my english please... ^^°)

My movies' top 5:
Jin Roh
Hotaru no Haka
Laputa, the castle in the sky
Perfect Blue
Ghost in the Shell
taro-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-28, 10:56   Link #30
Chaotic5

1: Azumanga Daioh!!!!!!!! (my god i loved it, very cool!)

2: Great Teacher Onizuka AKA: GTO ( HAHAHAHAHAHA weird reactions to certain event..

3: Full metal Panic!!! (Both of them~!)They were awesome!!

4: Crest of the stars (all its series and movies ^_^) Best sci-fi anime i thought..

5: Juuni Kokki AKA: 12 kingdoms (Awesome plot too bad they had to cut it short..and where's the rest of the subbed episodes? i only have up to 42..LOL)

Hmm...There's other awesome anime but...top 5 is hard... why not top 10 XD
Other series i thought were cool:

Hajimie no Ippo
Slayers (all series 1-3 and movies)
Noir
Naruto
Love Hina
Inu yasha
Tenshi na Konamaiki (animation is not norm but u get used to it, it's like initial D..)
Kimi_Ga_Nozomu_Eien (My god almost made me cry...very dramatic/Emotional)
Get backers
and so on ^_^
Chaotic5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-28, 21:01   Link #31
ARNEL98
Anime Fanatic

Top 5 anime of all tie? well, maybe top 5 anime currently... hehehe.... since the standards of anime always go up a notch every year...

Comedy - Azumanga Daioh. watched it several times;
Sports - Hajime no Ippo.
Drama - Saikano. awesoe soundtrack as well
Romance/Comedy- Ai Yori Aoshi
SciFi Epic - Crest of the Stars series (this anime is theu-love-it-or-u-hate-it kind)
ARNEL98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-28, 23:31   Link #32
jackass jimm

blue seed 9
neon genisis
naruto
saikano
escaflowne

thats my top five.........blue seed i only got to watch till volume 8 or 9.....but i remember it as if i watched the whole series..i was very captivated by it.

saikano just rocked.... at the beginning it was kinda boring but all that bordom made the last parts really good.

neon genisis was my first (real)anime(and i was young at that age..so i would like to watch it again cause i know i missed a lot of stuff.

escaflowne ruled...except when FOX aired it on TV

naruto is ruling...i liked inuyasha...but then caught a wiff at this and was like wow...this is how a long anime is supposed to stay interesting....not by putting 10-15 minutes of flashbacks in each episode....and the same one at that...and the story is much better then inuyasha.

now.........there was an anime i watched on UPN on sunday mornings that i will never forget..it was really my first(though i didnt consider it an anime cause it was in english). hte name of it was TEKNOMAN....then i learned it was called tekeman in Japan. i just loved it...and i didnt get to finish it...i only got up to when the sister kills herself and destroys the two other bots. and then there is only the big bad guy left and another one of the regular bad guys(though still strongest of the "weak" ones)

well..enough ramblings.
jackass jimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 03:16   Link #33
Gansan

You guys make me feel really old because most people's anime favorites are so recent. I notice the list from TV-Asahi has a lot of really old-time stuff like Ginga Tetsudou 999 or Uchuu Senkan Yamato (Star Blazers, which I watched religiously in grade school). I'm not that old-time, but here's my favorites:

1. Maison Ikkoku - The BEST epic romantic comedy story ever, with the BEST ending. Manga is even better! When you compare this to modern shows, you see how market-driven the newer stuff is. Nowadays they always leave things hanging so they can have the possibility of a sequel. Not with MI. You get the satisfaction.

2. Kidou Senshi Gundam 0083 - This was one of the definitive mecha combat anime until Macross Plus came around. Still, it retains that old-school fighting spirit that is lost on more avant garde characters like Shinji (of Eva).

3. Tenkuu no Escaflowne - This was maybe the first of the OVA-quality anime that happened to be a TV series. Blew it's contemporaries out of the water with great art, Yoko Kanno soundtrack, and big story. The drawback is some aspects were too cerebral.

4. Macross Plus - Yeah, this was a jaw dropper when the first episode was shown to us at Anime Expo on a big screen. Spine tingling. And that was only the first episode. It only got better from there. Super amazing combat sequences, showing that "emotion" can be injected into the dogfight scenes that can't really be duplicated with CG.

5. Initial D - Maybe not as great as the others, but I'll stick this in because I am a club racer, and Keiichi Tsuchiya (who was a consultant for this show) is someone I admire. This show may be about street/touge racing, but it does accurately depict racing techniques like heel and toe, and demonstrates oversteer/understeer concepts. It takes some liberties with physics, but wraps it up in an amazingly compelling (and often inadvertently amusing) story that makes you root for Takumi all the way until he decides on his future career in the movie. The "11,000 rpm" scene was priceless. Lots of exaggeration and clichés, but I'll deal with it.

Current favorites (not all-time like the above)

1. Full Metal Panic Fummofu - Better than the first season because it took the strongest aspect of the first season (the comedy and interplay between characters) and distilled it until it was 150 proof! These great stories gave me the motivation to finish reading my first novel in Japanese.

2. Ai Yori Aoshi - Very sweet story. The manga is even better. Today I just bought manga volume 12 and powered through it in one sitting.

3. Last Exile - This is going to rise up to my all-time favorite list someday. But it is on probation here until it proves that it stands the test of time. Super beautiful compositing of scenes that blend the CG and hand animated parts. Great epic story. A little too much borrowed from other shows in the character department.

4. Yawara! - I had heard of this for years, but now I get to see it. Super good so far! Hooray for Live-Evil for making it available!

5. Ghost in the Shell SAC - Okay, after the weirdness of the Gits movie, I was skeptical. But SAC is a Gits universe I can understand and enjoy. Doesn't get too bogged down in the philisophical BS. Just good intrigue and ass-kicking! I have also read the comic book, which was quite good.

Glen
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 03:44   Link #34
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Gansan not to be rude, but how old are you. See for me I listed some new animes because I only got into anime at the age of 19. I saw my first anime at age 15-16 but really didn't know how big the industry was in Japan. I'm now 25 and while I haven't watched alot of the old stuff seeing as it is still hard to find, i watch a ton of stuff nowdays and that too makes it hard to see the older stuff. I will agree with you though, I loved 0083 and several other Gundam series. Like in my post earlier it is impossible to just say I have a top 5 because I like so many other shows. I like so many other shows for different reasons and it greatly depends on my mood and what kind of anime will satisfy that mood. Just so damn impossible to just pick 5. So I picked the 5 that showed me something new when I watched them. They may not be the best of their catagory but they did have a huge impact on me.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 09:07   Link #35
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Seems memory doesn't go back all that far around here. I'm with Gansan, you people make me feel old, and I'm only 25!

Since I have so many favourites myself, despite being so damned picky about what I like, I'll lump franchises together.

Super Dimension Fortress Macross - Everything from the original SDF Macross, the absolutely incredible 'Do You Remember Love?', and Macross Plus, to the wonderful Macross 7 and the jaw dropping Macross Zero. In fact, the only Macross that falls short isn't even an official part of the franchise and was made without the original creators' input, (that being Macross II: Lover's Again, a mediocre rehash of 'DYRL?'.)

The Macross franchise has always been one of my favourites, ever since it appeared on American television, heavily edited and dumbed down, as Robotech in mid 80's.

Leiji Matsumoto's works, Captain Herlock, Galaxy Express 999, Space Battleship Yamato (Starblazers), Cosmos Warrior Zero, etcetera. Good, good stuff. Very oldschool. Right down to the classical style dialogue and beliefs of the characters. It helps that I absolutely adore Matsumoto's style and designs.

Yokoyama Mitsuteru's works, such as Giant Robo, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Tetsujin 28(Gigantor). I definitely want to see more of Mitsuteru's shows, if they retain the high quality storytelling and excellent style of what I have seen.

King of Braves: Gao Gai Gar is definitely one of the best Transformers style shows out there. Machine Robo Rescue fans take note, as I belive the same creative forces are behind the two shows, but I'd have to say that GGG is decidedly the better of the two. See for yourself though, you might disagree on that, however you might enjoy the show all the same.

Here's where it gets really tough. Do I name the works of Miyazake? Spirited Away, Princess Monoke, Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind, Laputa and the Castle in the Sky, and many others?

Do I name Lupin III, one of the greatest franchises to come out of Japan?

Do I name both, as Miyazake did direct Lupin III: Castle Cagliostro?

What about Gundam? Certainly a respectable franchise, though Macross is of the same genre and I believe it to be the better series as Gundam tends to get either redundant, or just plain crappy with the AU shows like Wing.

Rose of Versailles is certainly worth mentioning, an excellent show.

I can't sing enough praises for Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and so it shall be my 5th choice for a favourite. Rheindhart, Kircheise, Yang Wenli and all of the rest. This show definitely shows that anime can be so much more than the stereotypical giant robots and fan service. This show is intelligent, very plot and character heavy (often introducing 3 or 4 important new characters almost every other episode). Many political, philosophical, and moral questions are brought up, and the twist and turns of the show never cease to amaze. There are several points in the series where, unless you have absolutely no soul or feelings, it is practically gauranteed you will cry. I certainly hope Legend of the Galactic Heroes makes it out on DVD in the U.S. It could very well be the most important release of this decade.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 09:23   Link #36
wao
OK.

That reminds me, I also liked Now And Then Here And There. I wish they'd release Lupin III here, I always wanted to watch that.

And if Legend of the Galactic Heroes is as good as you say, then I might download it... It probably won't come out in DVD any time soon because it appears not to be licensed....
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 10:37   Link #37
Tomomi
chrno fangal

Here's mine, in no particular order:

Inuyasha (Heard that it will end at episode 150 and a 3rd movie)
Escaflowne
Full Metal Panic (Both seasons... )
Last Exile (Aargh, Alex died... )
Gundam Seed/Wing (Puu... Mwu died... Sigh...)
Tomomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 12:03   Link #38
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

hooray! old people unite! btw, I just turned 23
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 12:12   Link #39
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
hooray! old people unite! btw, I just turned 23
If you think you are old at 23 years old, well, you are horribly wrong.

Ah, right, this thread is about a Top5 anime...

Well, my favourite is Aline Nine, Cant think of anything under that right now.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 13:31   Link #40
OMchan
オムちゃん

My 5 are ...

- Full Metal Panic [1 & 2]
- Get Backers
- Gundam SEED
- Inu Yasha
- NARUTO

And yeah, I haven't seen enough to judge which are the best. ^^;; But NARUTO might to somewhere up there ...

Kimi ni Todoke
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lists, top five