AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-26, 11:50   Link #281
klare

Spoiler for eps 12 end:

my overall thoughts about the series:
- cute characters, a relax story
- but it is a bit too slow, the fights are not well designed, Marin as the main character is a boring one
- overall it is something different in this season, a series that can be watched without pressure
- my favourite character: Kanon
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-26, 19:04   Link #282
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I'll be watching the series finale in two more weekends, so I don't need to pressure myself to watch the remainder episodes in one gulp.

Spoiler for Episode 10:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 11:25   Link #283
Dop
Mmmm....

What... What...? WHAT?!?!
Spoiler for ending:
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 17:11   Link #284
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Since it's been about a week that the series ended and now the new season has started, the thread is sinking into the forgotten road.

Nevertheless, I have a commitment to myself at reviewing each episode of Umi Monogatari until the very end.

Spoiler for Episode 11:
Old 2009-10-06, 13:10   Link #285
Fate21
Kiyu~

I already expexted that kind of ending in the beginning from when Elder Turtle said sea beings and sky beings are living separately.
The ending is so sad...but it gives more impression to me.
At first I thought there will be a battle in episode 12, but it turns out not
I want season 2 desperately T_T too cute and has many potential
Fate21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 17:20   Link #286
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Umi Monogatari ~Anata ga Ite Kureta Koto~. Final Thoughts

I only approach this show, because I learned that Junichi Sato was involved in the staff. Hence, I did not think it twice to join the water ride.

With all due respect to the whole magical-girl genre, Umi Monogatari delivered and exceeded my expectations.

To me the show works in many contexts, because it did not treat the issue of evilness as something supernatural or coming from outside source, like most magic-girls shows of genre do like Pretty Cure, for example.

This show exposed to the viewers as something very natural and everydady that happens to each one of us. The feelings of anxiety, loneliness, frustration, fear, anger, jealousy, sorrow, and regret when we feel we aren't receiving enough attention from that boyfriend or girlfriend with whom we dedicate our time, or even at home when we can mistakenly take for granted that our parents do not care at all for our mishappenings.

To have darkness within us is just a natural part of a whole, which is complemented by the other half which is our light. Those feelings that encourage and move us to keep struggling and going on and on.
In fact, the irony in our lives that the climax's for the final episode showed me is that we burn with more desire to overcome, to struggle against, and to surpass the catastrophe, tragedy, or problem that struck us with an even fiercer determination and even kinder compassionate.

Umi Monogatari taught me those two truths: The bad things and good things are the sum to the whole of the experiences we acquire throughout the course of our lifetime, and when bad things happen we become more active and more engaging to surpass ourselves.

Umi Monogatari isn't like anything I've seen in the traditional magic-girl formula.

This show established its own and original mythos, and I think that the soundtrack is original itself, because it focuses more upon the character's feelings and emotions when they interact with their own experiences and memories, rather than with the course of the plot.

Spoiler for Episode 12:

Overall, it was delight to me to have watched this anime.

I must say that I'm impressed at how effective Houko Kuwashima plays villanous roles. Her voice character as Sedna matched with the gloom darkness that consumed the sea and the island and had nearly won.

I know this is a goodbye, fortunately, there's still the DVD-only 13th episode that will get released on March 2010. However, I won't my expectations high about that episode being a sequel, continuation, or an epilogue to the end of episode 12.

You know Marin returning from the Sea and reuniting with Kanon.

No, I think it would be more as an extra episode happening between episodes 2 and 5 of the show.

Nevertheless, the show delivered such a slapstick humor courtesy of Kanon's and Ooshima's freaky, traumatic faces and Kanon's evil aura.

This has been the first show that I concluded for the summer season.
Old 2009-10-11, 00:50   Link #287
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Finished the series, the first thing i have to mention is how ridiculous cliche the main plot of this anime is. Random girls or boys accidentally discovered their magical power, then train up (with an old mentor) and use it to battle a big bad evil and its minions to save the day. Super cliche and must be used a zillion times before.

However... i have to admit this series was executed brilliantly. Also, even when I was spoiled a little bit, the ending still exceeded my expectation by far.
The characters are not really unique, nor with tragic past or incredible backgrounds. But their common struggles were portrayed very well as i could totally understand the feeling of Kanon, Marin, Urin or Ooshima. Could even feel (almost-running) tears in my eyes during sad and tragic moments (yeah... sorry for being too sensitive...)
The BGMs were also brilliant. It has been long since last time i saw an anime with such a good executed mood flow for all four final episodes. The OP, ED sounded really good at first, and blended onto the story as we approach the end (the change in animation of final OP also really set up the mood).

The ending was bittersweet (agree with "screw the rule..." propose). It's good to see Kanon getting out of her shell (at last) to confess her love to both that guy and Marin(without rushing their relationship). Also her hatred to the sea was changed and now she's planning to move to a high school near the shore (hoping to see Marin again, maybe). I interpreted the "i won't forget this summer" a bit different as to me it means this event will change her course in life

Great series. The final pushed its rate from 7/10 to 9/10 since i love good ending.

PS: agree with Guido about the non-"traditional magic-girl formula" approach.

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2009-10-11 at 01:04.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 00:51   Link #288
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Yeah. I don't think there's any doubting just how extremely cliche the basic story is. if it had an original story, there'd be otaku-gasms about how it'd be one of the best 12-13 episode anime ever.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 00:50   Link #289
molitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
What... What...? WHAT?!?!
Spoiler for ending:
I have to agree.. this is a delete and not keep on my list.. One thing I HATE is stupid endings! If I was her I would of said f*#@ you turtle I have the ring created by my ancestors and their is only one purpose for the ring.. to be able to visit the sea.. Stupid rules.. stupid ending.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 11:57   Link #290
FireChick

Good news for Junichi Sato, Aria and Umimono fans. It's confirmed that Sato is assigned to direct a short little OVA named Tamayura set for 2010. It's supposedly about a girl who likes photography and lives near a beach. It seems interesting, but I better hope it's not an adult OVA or something.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 12:02   Link #291
Midonin
Last Engage

Your imagination really ran away with you on this one.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 16:04   Link #292
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I believed that the Umi Monogatari score was the best of the season when it was airing, though the soundtrack was released last week, and listening now, i could easily get away with saying it's the best score of the year. Ken Muramatsu, wow, just wow.
Old 2009-12-14, 22:54   Link #293
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I believed that the Umi Monogatari score was the best of the season when it was airing, though the soundtrack was released last week, and listening now, i could easily get away with saying it's the best score of the year. Ken Muramatsu, wow, just wow.
Really late to the party here, but I finally got around to listening to this CD set myself, and I have to agree that this is an excellent score. It reminds me a lot of the composer's previous work on Kure-nai; in fact, some of the songs are definitely variations of what he did there (down to the chord structure and instrumentation). That's certainly not a bad thing, of course, as it too was one of the best soundtracks of last year.

I think one of the things that makes his music memorable is the emphasis on having strong melodies and using just enough instrumentation to support. So his music has a sort of "sing-song" like quality that gets used well as theme and variation throughout the soundtrack. You can recognize certain melodies come back in slightly modified forms throughout the work, which is a way of supporting the themes of the story. I saw some question at the time whether the OST was always used most effectively in the anime itself, but it's definitely the sort of OST that can standalone very well.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 17:39   Link #294
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I can truly agree with everything you've said relentlessflame, because i believe the exact same. Also, it's been just about a month now since i first listened to the soundtrack, and i can still honestly say this is the best score of the year for me.
Old 2009-12-16, 05:46   Link #295
FireChick

Quote:
Your imagination really ran away with you on this one.
It's true! It was posted on ANN some time ago!
Old 2009-12-16, 21:25   Link #296
Midonin
Last Engage

I had to go back to my own post to find context, but it existing wasn't the part I was referring to.

It was this line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick
but I better hope it's not an adult OVA or something
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 06:32   Link #297
FireChick

Ooooh. I see. Never mind. >__<
Old 2010-03-26, 16:40   Link #298
YuKanda

episode 13 ? o.o
YuKanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 16:56   Link #299
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuKanda View Post
episode 13 ? o.o
Yes, the last DVD of the series was released yesterday in Japan and includes a bonus episode.
Old 2010-03-27, 17:23   Link #300
FireChick

The official Tamayura website is up in case everyone's wondering. And the characters look soooooo CUTE!!!

Tags
fantasy