AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-02-19, 15:15   Link #1
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Decrypting Transport streams from Japanese DTV

Okay, here's a serious technical question, that I'm not sure an answer even exists.

I have a Toshiba Regza Z2000 television, with an IO-data 300 GB hard drive attached to it to use the special HD-recording feature of the TV.

The tv will basically record the broadcast mpeg transport streams to this hard drive, and I can easily attach the drive (it's networked) to my home network and look at the files on it.

Basically you get collections of 3 files, a .dtv, and .dtv.meta and a .dtv.rat
The .dtv.meta seems to contain data about the broadcast, the .dtv file is the large one that I think is encrypted somehow, and the .dtv.rat file is probably the key.

I can playback the shows on my regza but I'd like to decrypt the files to give myself perfect mpeg-ts streams to work with as raws....

Unfortunately search as a may I cannot find any information about how to go about this. Does anyone have any clue?
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 15:17   Link #2
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Okay, here's a serious technical question, that I'm not sure an answer even exists.

I have a Toshiba Regza Z2000 television, with an IO-data 300 GB hard drive attached to it to use the special HD-recording feature of the TV.

The tv will basically record the broadcast mpeg transport streams to this hard drive, and I can easily attach the drive (it's networked) to my home network and look at the files on it.

Basically you get collections of 3 files, a .dtv, and .dtv.meta and a .dtv.rat
The .dtv.meta seems to contain data about the broadcast, the .dtv file is the large one that I think is encrypted somehow, and the .dtv.rat file is probably the key.

I can playback the shows on my regza but I'd like to decrypt the files to give myself perfect mpeg-ts streams to work with as raws....

Unfortunately search as a may I cannot find any information about how to go about this. Does anyone have any clue?
Have you considered going the D-VHS route? That's what all the korean cappers used to use.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 15:19   Link #3
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
Have you considered going the D-VHS route? That's what all the korean cappers used to use.

-Tofu
Actually sure, but how would I even record to the tape? The regza doesn't have a video OUT, and the shows are all sitting on my hard drive that I want raws for.

I know about the D-VHS option and, well, the point here was to make use of the transport streams I basically have saved on a hard drive but can't access which is making me annoyed.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-02-19, 15:27   Link #4
Tofusensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Actually sure, but how would I even record to the tape? The regza doesn't have a video OUT, and the shows are all sitting on my hard drive that I want raws for.

I know about the D-VHS option and, well, the point here was to make use of the transport streams I basically have saved on a hard drive but can't access which is making me annoyed.
Oh, there's no separate tuner available? My knowledge of Japanese HD signals ends at about 2003 when I moved back to the United States.

I know that timecop was at one point attempting to crack the Japanese HD encryption but I do not know what came of that project. Good luck?

Probably wanna hang out on some Japanese capper BBSes for info (I'd rather slit my wrists personally lol)

-Tofu
Old 2008-02-19, 15:38   Link #5
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Oh, there's no separate tuner available? My knowledge of Japanese HD signals ends at about 2003 when I moved back to the United States.

I know that timecop was at one point attempting to crack the Japanese HD encryption but I do not know what came of that project. Good luck?

Probably wanna hang out on some Japanese capper BBSes for info (I'd rather slit my wrists personally lol)

-Tofu
Yeah, that's what I figured I'd need to do, but thought that there might be some more, uh, friendly knowledgeable people here.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-02-19, 15:45   Link #6
cyth
Banned

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/....php?p=8196730
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 15:46   Link #7
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
I know that timecop was at one point attempting to crack the Japanese HD encryption but I do not know what came of that project.
I'm pretty sure he succeeded, I recall him talking about it on IRC as well as seeing some schematics and stuff he had about it. I can't find the logs though, you'd probably have to ask him about it (good luck with that, you'll need it).

Edit: Toua provides far more (realistically) useful information there. It's not about encryption but it's a lot easier to do.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 15:56   Link #8
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Read that thread 2 years ago, I don't see how it answers my question.
Furthermore, that card would not help in this situation, as it records off D-type inputs and that would require an entirely separate HDTV tuner with a D output (the TV only has inputs). From raws I see on share, I know that people are getting access to actual mpeg2 transport streams somehow... anyway,

I'm not asking a general "how do I cap Japanese HDTV in HD" (I'm aware of how I could go about doing that if I wanted), I am asking specifically if there is a known method for decrypting the files I have stored right now on my networked hard drive attached to my regza.

(The real reason I ask this is twofold: 1. It annoys me that I can't figure out a way to do it. and 2. The only HD raws I found of the show on share had a giant clock on the upper left hand corner, argh!)
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-02-19, 16:00   Link #9
Tofusensei

This is probably not the best forum, unfortunately. Maybe find some geek site/channel who specialize in reverse engineering/decrypting those sorts of streams and post up a short file for them to play with? I wish you good luck.

-Tofu
Old 2008-02-19, 16:13   Link #10
cyth
Banned

Hey, hey, just trying to help. o.ob

But who knows, maybe this *is* a hardware issue rather than anything else.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 16:24   Link #11
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Hey, hey, just trying to help. o.ob

But who knows, maybe this *is* a hardware issue rather than anything else.
By the way, they're up to the PV4 now. And I found a shop in Tokyo that has them in stock right now until TOMORROW for ~$200... an extra digital tuner would cost me another $150...

Argh, must resist. I have better things to do than start capping raws I'll never get around to fansubbing.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-02-20, 02:51   Link #12
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

timecop is the man to talk to. IIRC the site is down at the moment but at one point he had a page showcasing the decryption details using a valid B-CAS card and a card reader, either on the fly or with pre-existing encrypted files. He'll be able to point you in the right direction in terms of hardware/software needed (basically a card reader and plugin for TSReader, again IIRC - also what the TV is doing could be completely different, again you'd need to talk to him to find out exactly).

As for other cappers' methods, the Friio is all the rage right now, although good luck getting your hands on one (from what I hear...).
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 13:51   Link #13
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeknay View Post
timecop is the man to talk to. IIRC the site is down at the moment but at one point he had a page showcasing the decryption details using a valid B-CAS card and a card reader, either on the fly or with pre-existing encrypted files. He'll be able to point you in the right direction in terms of hardware/software needed (basically a card reader and plugin for TSReader, again IIRC - also what the TV is doing could be completely different, again you'd need to talk to him to find out exactly).

As for other cappers' methods, the Friio is all the rage right now, although good luck getting your hands on one (from what I hear...).
Aha! I think that TSReader program will do what I need it to... It says the professional version can decode mpeg-2 streams on the fly from TCP/UDP packet transmissions over a network, so I'd just need to set up an eavsdropping connection over my lan (it's a lan hard drive) and intercept the mpeg-2 stream on the fly, I suspect...
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-02-20, 14:34   Link #14
Eeknay
*Fansubber

It is certainly a very handy program If you need the full version (Standard can do it too from the checklist) let me know.
Old 2008-02-20, 15:12   Link #15
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeknay View Post
It is certainly a very handy program If you need the full version (Standard can do it too from the checklist) let me know.
Here's another question then:

The show in question airs with closed-captions. Is there a way to extract those japanese captions from the mpeg-ts stream? Maybe even with timestamps?

That would be the ultimate in speed subbing technique, after all: no need for timing, or even listening. Just straight translate from the closed captioned text, and write a perl script or something to convert to .ass format, then encode to mpeg-4 and softsub mux.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-02-20, 15:24   Link #16
Eeknay
*Fansubber

I'm not sure if the system is the same... but ccextractor can do it on American transport streams, might be worth a shot on a Japanese one (I don't have any Japanese streams to hand that have CC to test with though). again timecop will probably know :P
Old 2008-02-20, 19:28   Link #17
Cythraul

I have no experience of Japanese CC but I have seen thousands and thousands commercial titles with subtitles and have released fansubs with timings ripped from Japanese dvds. The quality is, almost without exception, significantly below the normal fansub standards, even if we discount the actual errors (subtitles blink away in a fraction of a second or are left hanging for way too long). Now, I personally think the fansub timing standards are ridiculously perfectionist, but if you want to be a "HQ" group, those CC probably aren't worth it.
Cythraul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 19:43   Link #18
D404
Banned

the key word in quarky's post is "speed sub".
D404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 19:59   Link #19
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Yeah, obviously. CC timing is horrid.

It would be useful as a starting point, maybe... maybe...

Actually I find the timing on the captions on Japanese tv pretty decent. a lot better than the ones on american television.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-02-21, 00:21   Link #20
DryFire
Panda Herder

I know runpsi can cap CC. Might want to ask her.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote