AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 57 36.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 35.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 19.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.21%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-17, 01:15   Link #261
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Maybe she really is an incredibly late-late-late bloomer, but I'd rather believe that she has begun her cycles for peace of mind... I don't think it's said that Kona *definitely without doubt has not begun*.... funny topic. :3

Edit: hou two people already posted what I wanted to say.
I believe I've said this in the Kanon forums before....but back in school, I do know several 17-year-old girls who ARE as loli as Ayu and Kona. It's not so unusual to see Asian girls this short at 17, while Caucasian girls at 17 are a different matter altogether.

Besides, you should ask Vexx-jiji. I'm sure he can corroborate.
Old 2007-05-17, 01:34   Link #262
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
I think that was just Kagami overreacting. There's no way a 17 year old can not have her period yet...Then again, this is anime.
Actually, it is possible. There is a medical condition where a girl does not get her period (which can occur in females as old as 17). But seriously, this is being way over analyzed.
Old 2007-05-17, 01:46   Link #263
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
The Subaru Vivio

Oh trust me, it is. Our summers are hot, humid, and feels like the sun is on your weight. Added to that, there's those incessant cicadas that increases my stress level ten fold...
Well I was thinking more along the lines that in Kanon it's supposed to be winter, yet it's always extremely bright with an intense glare reflecting from all the objects on the street. Full Metal Panic does it too and I just don't like the way it looks.

Of course where I live in winter it's like -30 celcius and in the summer it's plus 30 celcius. On someday's the temperature can flucuate so much that the pavement on the streets will actually crack and need to be repaired. It can go from really warm to really cold and back again in a flash. In fact spring just began for my part of the world a few weeks ago. Up until near the end of April it was still snowing every so often. It sounds really nasty where you live too though. I remember reading once about parts of Asia being hit with a heat wave and they had a picture of a boy soaking in a pond just to keep his body at bearable temperatures.

@WanderingKnight. From the map on Wikipedia the Caribbean region looks to be pretty close to the equator. Well at least closer than Japan is. What I got was very bright, but not glaring.
Old 2007-05-17, 02:08   Link #264
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Well I was thinking more along the lines that in Kanon it's supposed to be winter, yet it's always extremely bright with an intense glare reflecting from all the objects on the street.
Living in Canada, I'm sure you're familiar with the feeling of needing sunglasses in winter on a sunny day in a snow-covered environment...
Old 2007-05-17, 02:22   Link #265
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I believe I've said this in the Kanon forums before....but back in school, I do know several 17-year-old girls who ARE as loli as Ayu and Kona. It's not so unusual to see Asian girls this short at 17, while Caucasian girls at 17 are a different matter altogether.

Besides, you should ask Vexx-jiji. I'm sure he can corroborate.
My wife and her cousins all hit their maximum height around 7th grade. In my wife's case, that was 4'10" (148cm), her cousins managed between that and just over 5 feet. As my wife puts it, "boobs arrived at 10th grade" and she spent a lot of time running into things with them. Otoh, one of her cousins remained pretty much Kona-style (though damn cute) til she had her first kid.

Most of the other asian women I know range from 4'11" to 5'4" with two outliers (5'8 Chinese and 5'10" Korean). Boobage ranges from 'special tastes' to nicely proportioned. I've seen a few overweight ones in public but the vast majority are slender.

There, that's my anecdotal data on the matter.
Old 2007-05-17, 02:33   Link #266
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I think there was a study here in Canada once that one needs more eye protection from light during winter than all the other seasons. Sure, the sun might not be as bright, but snow has the property of reflecting almost all rays, including UV. Ironic really, if one thinks about it.

And the more snow (thankfully not in the city, where a lot of snow usually gets shoveled/melted), the worse it gets. There's a reason why snow blindness is named like it is, after all.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-05-17, 02:36   Link #267
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Hmmm, it's probably all but certain that Konata suffers from dwarfism at this point among other things. I'm also fairly certainly that she cannot swim and thus the life saver. It's cool to see a character with such bizarre flaws and yet she always find a way to work around them. She reminds me a bit of Mr. Bean in this regard.
Old 2007-05-17, 02:45   Link #268
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
That's pretty much the whole Asian side of my family and myself. I stopped growing in middle school and that promised "growth spurt" never came (*shakes fist*... it's all a lie!). Pretty much everyone on that side of the family is the same height with maybe an inch or two of variation (except for the young ones, of course), all short, regardless whether male or female. I can't say that I think anyone in my family, including myself, is cute though... but I can't really judge something like that. And not going to comment on my boobs, sorry.

I guess I have absolutely no hope of ever being able to see over other people's heads.

Edit:
Quote:
I'm also fairly certainly that she cannot swim and thus the life saver.
She's so small and thin, I figure she'd get thrown about by the waves and washed away if she didn't have the life saver.
Old 2007-05-17, 03:10   Link #269
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. Konata and swimming: Didn't she say that the ring was for relaxing with, and maybe imply it was also for attracting people with "special interests"? As Kagami said, she's a natural athlete. I see no indication she can't swim.

2. Konata's height: it's perfectly possible to be that age, that short, and that thin. Maybe the mangaka was even thinking of someone at his school. But whether it's possible or not, he gets to draw what he wants -- and what he thinks would interest his audience.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-17, 03:19   Link #270
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
1. Konata and swimming: Didn't she say that the ring was for relaxing with, and maybe imply it was also for attracting people with "special interests"? As Kagami said, she's a natural athlete. I see no indication she can't swim.
1. Ah, but there she was referring to running. I've also learned from these past few episode that Konata's words should be taken with a grain of salt. There is no direct indication that she cannot swim, but she seemed embarassed at the end of the skit on her tube and I took that to mean she was hiding something, that being that a distance runner like her may not be able to swim and that she was trying to pass it off as a "special interest" like you say, but from what I remember Kagami didn't buy it and we got an embarassed look on Konata's face (an "oh she didn't fall for it" look). There's no way to know though unless the time comes to put her to the test.

2. Can't dispute that. Though I swear she's actually getting shorter in the anime. The one scene of her placing the soap behind Kagami and slinkering off had her looking about the height of my thigh (Though that might have just been her in SD form).
Old 2007-05-17, 03:33   Link #271
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
I finally managed to watch this episode. And for the most part it was really great, the beach trip was hilarious. There's just one thing seriously getting on my nerves already in Lucky Star....and that's Lucky Channel. Far from not funny anymore Akira is now annoying the hell out of me whenever I see her, they could really have used the time she's taking up better. I really hope there's gonna be a change in those 3+ minutes within one of the next few episodes, otherwise it'll be the one thing keeping me from fully enjoying Lucky Star.
Old 2007-05-17, 04:33   Link #272
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I still like Lucky Channel. But I think Akira was losing it in that one, doing both personalities at the same time. (I mean, giving the finger with her cutesy voice? WTF?)
Old 2007-05-17, 04:43   Link #273
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Mildy funny ep. I still think there are other, significantly funnier comedies airing this season.
Old 2007-05-17, 07:11   Link #274
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
I finally managed to watch this episode. And for the most part it was really great, the beach trip was hilarious. There's just one thing seriously getting on my nerves already in Lucky Star....and that's Lucky Channel. Far from not funny anymore Akira is now annoying the hell out of me whenever I see her, they could really have used the time she's taking up better. I really hope there's gonna be a change in those 3+ minutes within one of the next few episodes, otherwise it'll be the one thing keeping me from fully enjoying Lucky Star.
Maybe it's about time KyoAni started bringing in their stable of seiyuus as guest stars . It would be interesting, yes?
Old 2007-05-17, 07:46   Link #275
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Konata wasn't embarassed at the end of the 'tube' skit, as far as what was shown goes. While sweat-dropping can constitute a wide range of emotions, embarassment is shown vast majority of the time in anime with redenning of the face. What Konata had was a scowl, and the last time she scowled with a sweat-drop was in eps. 4 where Kagami said that if Konata did commit a crime, Kagami would say that she has always expected Konata to do something like that. In any case, the implication that Konata is hiding something is highly unlikely, considering the context.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-05-17, 09:19   Link #276
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Mildy funny ep. I still think there are other, significantly funnier comedies airing this season.
Then again, the focus of the anime is not to make you laugh like a horse. That applies to all slice-of-life comedies, too. I laughed pretty hard while watching Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, much harder than while watching Azumanga Daioh, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed Dokuro-chan better--in fact, it's the other way around. Another example I can give is ARIA. In some episodes, I didn't let out a single giggle. However, in my opinion, it's one of the best slice-of-life shows in existence.

Slice-of-life comedies aren't all about laughing. There are lots of other elements at stake.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-05-17, 11:25   Link #277
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Not for me. Hayate is good, but at a much lower level of humor than this show. What other shows are funny? Seto no Hanayome was okay for one episode, but I dropped it after three.

As we said after episode one, people's senses of humor differ -- and this is a good thing. Just for reference, I think Ichigo Mashimaro is the funniest anime I've ever seen, and Love Hina isn't particularly funny. I burst out laughing at Dokuro-chan, but feel it repeats one joke over and over again. I haven't watched any episode of that twice, whereas I watch these several times, enjoying them every time.

I agree with WanderingKnight that there is some "slice of life" about this show, but it is a comedy, for me, as opposed to ARIA, which is more pure slice of life -- and which I enjoy significantly less than this show.

EDIT: Kaioshin's mention of Excel Saga (which I didn't like a lot) reminds me that I did like Puni Puni Poemi, for taking that style of humor beyond extreme. I've even rewatched it. Before IchiMash, it was the anime I thought the funniest. But I haven't seen Fumoffu and many others.

EDIT2: Kaioshin, I thought that at the end of the tube sequence, Konata was embarrassed because Kagami had said they weren't getting hit on because Konata making herself look like a loli made them seem like a group of kids out with their parents. But as for her swimming, maybe we'll find out later.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-05-17 at 12:02.
Old 2007-05-17, 11:45   Link #278
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Unfortunately I don't find any show particularly funny this season. Then again I have a more distinctly North American taste in humour. I prefer show's like The Daily Show, Family Guy, The Simpsons and Futurama to pretty much any anime comedy. That's not to say Anime can't be funny, but to me the truly funny one's are just so few and far between. The only anime that have ever made me laugh out loud would be SD Gundam and Keroro Gunsou, while others illicit chuckles and smirks. However, one episode of the Daily Show usually equals an entire series worth of laughs for me. I think I'm mostly enjoying Lucky Star for it's subtle non-forced humour. Should it have been another larger than life series like Haruhi (whose comedy moments I thought fell flat and felt forced) or balls to the walls like Excel Saga (Whose jokes grew tired Lucky Channel style, only not quite as fast) I think I would not be enjoying it much.
Old 2007-05-17, 12:20   Link #279
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I agree with WanderingKnight that there is some "slice of life" about this show, but it is a comedy, for me, as opposed to ARIA, which is more pure slice of life -- and which I enjoy significantly less than this show.
Hmm... well, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned ARIA, but I thought of it because it actually includes large bits of comedy, although maybe a little naive for many tastes. I'd rather compare it more, now that you mentioned it, to Ichigo Mashimaro, which is one of the best comedies in terms of punchline timing, music management, and voice acting, mixed with good all-around elements of slice-of-life. Granted, Lucky Star isn't as good as IM in terms of comedic effect, at least on me, but it isn't bad, either.

The only show this season that cracks me up in terms of laughter is Seto no Hanayome, but perhaps it is more of a guilty pleasure than a true, well-thought-out comedy (not that I'm bashing SnH, in fact, I'm loving it, and I seriously recommend it to everyone who wants a cup of a good hysterical humor series).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-05-17, 14:35   Link #280
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Unfortunately I don't find any show particularly funny this season. Then again I have a more distinctly North American taste in humour. I prefer show's like The Daily Show, Family Guy, The Simpsons and Futurama to pretty much any anime comedy. That's not to say Anime can't be funny, but to me the truly funny one's are just so few and far between. The only anime that have ever made me laugh out loud would be SD Gundam and Keroro Gunsou, while others illicit chuckles and smirks. However, one episode of the Daily Show usually equals an entire series worth of laughs for me. I think I'm mostly enjoying Lucky Star for it's subtle non-forced humour. Should it have been another larger than life series like Haruhi (whose comedy moments I thought fell flat and felt forced) or balls to the walls like Excel Saga (Whose jokes grew tired Lucky Channel style, only not quite as fast) I think I would not be enjoying it much.
>_< Now you're making me picture an anime version of The Daily Show, lol...

Actually, I happen to like improv comedy a lot too, but that's pretty much impossible to animate correctly. Meh...an anime version of Who's Line is it Anyway can still exist in my dreams...
Closed Thread