AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-09-26, 12:09   Link #61
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
So basically KitN is a *deep breath* Danmaku real-time/turn-based strategy RPG?
Sounds good to me :P

Quote:
But wait a sec. Isn't everyone in KitN dead and brought back to life by the power of the Wisp? So Yggdra's age doesn't mean much... Just could mean she died at that age.
With that said theres a very interesting system in place in this game for upgrading and leveling your units. Experience is manually distributed by you to your units but theres so many freakin recruitables theres not enough to go round.

However theres another option, you can choose to sacrifice characters and destroy their soul to boost another character. Its sorta odd but by succeeding other units souls it gives you considerable stat boosts and levelups. Bit mean though but everyone is dead anyway. I've sorta given up on trying to get the gist of any of the story till it gets localized the story jumps constantly from present to past.
Old 2008-09-26, 12:37   Link #62
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

A story as hard to follow as Xenosaga eh?
That Yggdra art is so pretty though. I want it. D:
Old 2008-09-26, 13:15   Link #63
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
But wait a sec. Isn't everyone in KitN dead and brought back to life by the power of the Wisp? So Yggdra's age doesn't mean much... Just could mean she died at that age. Which would tie into YU since if that ties into Riviera Yggdra had to have died in the Ragnarok.
The thing is that the knights are dead, and the Wisp revives them to fight. The story has a past (that tells the story of the knights and what happened to them) and the present (Maria), so being listed as a NPC could mean she appears in the present and not neccesarily the past. After all, I doubt that every character introduced take place in the past.

Coming from me, who hasn't gotten the game to play yet, anyways.

Though, yes, it would make sense if the Yggdra in this game is of the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
However theres another option, you can choose to sacrifice characters and destroy their soul to boost another character. Its sorta odd but by succeeding other units souls it gives you considerable stat boosts and levelups. Bit mean though but everyone is dead anyway. I've sorta given up on trying to get the gist of any of the story till it gets localized the story jumps constantly from present to past.
Transoul... I have a feeling I'll have a hard time "killing" off some characters.........

According to the official website, you need to use Transoul in order to keep characters alive. When they use their special abilities, they chip away at their soul, so you transfer the soul (...the naming sense) of someone else into that character.

Quote:
That Yggdra art is so pretty though. I want it. D:
Me too... I want an avatar of it maybe, but I can't find a picture of good quality. Nicodouga's is somewhat blurry, and I don't know how to download a video straight off the official website...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2008-09-26 at 15:07.
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 13:40   Link #64
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Transoul... I have a feeling I'll have a hard time "killing" off some characters.........

According to the official website, you need to use Transoul in order to keep characters alive. When they use their special abilities, they chip away at their soul, so you transfer the soul (...the naming sense) of someone else into that character.
Yeah I discovered that abit late I overused some of the cooler/cuter looking units and they were left fading out of existance before I realized what was going on. Thankfully new characters literally come by the bucketload.
Old 2008-09-26, 14:36   Link #65
krisslanza

They come by the bucketload because you have to sacrifice them

It adds a very Fire Emblem-equse system to the game. Except instead of them dying forever in battle you'll be forced to have to eventually start killing off your lesser used characters in order to power up the souls of your more used ones.

And who knows? Maybe eventually you'll run out of fodder and have to decide amongst units you really LIKE. DUN DUN DUN.
Old 2008-09-26, 15:06   Link #66
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Back...

About this...
Spoiler for ...:

Grim Angel? The design and such look similar...

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-09-26, 15:18   Link #67
krisslanza

It seems to make me remember No.367...

I was on LCN a little bit and I noticed that Yggdra appears in KitN for the 'tutorial girl' if you have the JP YU inside the GBA slot.
Old 2008-09-26, 16:46   Link #68
Ledgem
Love Yourself

For the people that have the game, is it fun? I'm guessing most of us here have played Yggdra Union and Riviera (I've read that there's a fourth "From the Heavens"-series game by Sting, but I'm not sure what it is).

I thought Riviera was too easy and linear, and Yggdra Union suffered from being too linear to the point where it was crushingly difficult and not fun (specifically, having only one or two real solutions to a given map isn't very fun from a creative standpoint). Based off of what's been said in this thread so far and from the reviews I've read, the gameplay sounds pretty good. Is it still as linear as the other two? For those who have played the others, how does Knights in the Nightmare compare in your opinion?
Old 2008-09-26, 17:06   Link #69
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
For the people that have the game, is it fun? I'm guessing most of us here have played Yggdra Union and Riviera (I've read that there's a fourth "From the Heavens"-series game by Sting, but I'm not sure what it is).
Depth Heaven series is just the name given to Yggdra Union, Riviera and Knights in the Nightmare which all take place in the same continuity. Really its more just a way of taking a good idea and making a cash cow of it by tying them together, nobody knows what the fourth game is yet.

As for the linearity its still here, KitN is basically complete a stage go onto the next etc. However every playthrough will be vastly different since its very much an on the fly real time S-RPG mixed with the bullet hell dodging like mechanics I've mentioned earlier. Theres also the fact enemies tend to constantly change on maps if you don't kill them in time and they all have different attack/movement patterns. (Literally theres a monster roulette every turn where you pick what monsters spawn).

Comparing it with previous games you will recognize some mechanics such as the Skill Charges from Yggdra Union but other than that I honestly can't begin to compare this game to Yggdra Union or Riviera at all. It makes heavy usuage of the touch screen its an essential part of the gameplay which already distinguishes it. Even if the game doesn't tickle your fancy the soundtrack alone is possibly one of the most amazing things to come out of a game this year.

Either way I'm having great fun with it if only because it breaks the mold of most RPG's and keeps me on my toes. They also fixed that nasty habit Sting have of making it so you don't have a clue when to use certain key items. All items will specifically tell you which chapter they're used on and who to use them on. The one criticism is the game can get extremely hectic and confusing sometimes on certain battles but in a sense the dual screen is perfect since it helps you take in things abit better. But I suppose thats half the fun of it sometimes.
Old 2008-09-26, 22:15   Link #70
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Too bad we can't download demos for these games. Riviera's gameplay was too boring, repetitive, and easy; Yggdra Union's seemed much more strategically oriented and challenging, yet the challenge came less from strategy and more from reading the game's mind (knowing what was coming) near the end, which was very frustrating. It sounds like the gameplay of KitN is not boring or overly easy. Assuming you felt the same way about the end of Yggdra Union as I did, would you say that KitN suffers in the same way?
Old 2008-09-27, 05:44   Link #71
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

For me I liked Yggdra Union but I admit the game slowed down severely after like the second Gulcasa battle. After that any secrets were frustratingly obscure and missable and most stages especially some of the final bosses were gangbangs. Though what you say about reading the games mind is true of any S-RPG, once you know whats coming its straightforward.

For KitN I honestly don't have the authority to say that since I'm only around 18 stages in. But as I've said this is pretty much a unique game thats unlike anything I know of exactly. So no it doesn't suffer from that on that technicality alone, I'm looking forward to the eventual localization at least.

Anyway right now I'm stuck right now on a particularly nasty boss who is giving me abit of trouble, I think its Ganzer the B.Knight from the boss reel. I just beat Dark Angel Melissa the game gets considerably harder once you get to control Maria. Maria herself is freakin powerful and is quite essentially the Queen of chess since she can use all skill cards and attack in any direction and move (alot of units are stationary in this game, Duelist can only move in a fixed direction, only L.Knights get true free movement). However shes limited by a really really horrible vitality so spamming her alone will get you a game over faster than you can blink and you're forced to support her with your other characters. Melissa herself you can literally kill in 1-2 turns but its possibly one of the most hellish boss fights around simply because of the ammount of things to collect on that map and that her attacks could make any Touhou boss blush with how dangerous they are.

Last edited by Sety; 2008-09-27 at 06:02.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 23:14   Link #72
krisslanza

Damn I want a longer version of Yggdra's theme in KitN. Also from what I've heard in LCN she only appears in the tutorial if you have a JP YU inserted in the GBA slot. Might wanna keep that EN copy ;3
Old 2008-09-28, 01:08   Link #73
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Damn I want a longer version of Yggdra's theme in KitN. Also from what I've heard in LCN she only appears in the tutorial if you have a JP YU inserted in the GBA slot. Might wanna keep that EN copy ;3
Does an English copy of Yggdra Union work for the Japanese Knights in the Knightmare?

EDIT:
Found this... (Yggdra doing the tutorial)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4770153
I don't think someone who's catchphrase is "寄らば, 斬ります" should be saying that...

I wish the Yggdra Union characters would be drawn again with Riviera or Knights in the Knightmare art...

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2008-09-28 at 07:22.
Old 2008-09-28, 08:11   Link #74
krisslanza

Nope you need a JP YU to put in a JP KitN. An EN YU won't work.
Old 2008-09-28, 08:29   Link #75
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Nope you need a JP YU to put in a JP KitN. An EN YU won't work.
orz

Oh well, it's just a preview, ahaha.........
(´;ω;`)しくしくしくしくしくしくしくしくしくしく

So she's just a cameo for the tutorial? If so, then I guess there is no worry/bother on the connection thing between the games...

Old 2008-09-28, 19:31   Link #76
krisslanza

As far as we know so far. Some think she might serve a bigger role given they give her a unique sprite and they even gave her a new remixed theme for the game.
Old 2008-09-29, 09:18   Link #77
elroid

Yeah!! Just finished the game!!

elroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-29, 17:20   Link #78
Lord Ryo
Noblesse Oblige

Send a message via AIM to Lord Ryo
Is the whole game in English, or just the spoken dialogue?
Lord Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-29, 17:24   Link #79
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ryo View Post
Is the whole game in English, or just the spoken dialogue?
Spoken dialogue only. The text is mostly Japanese.
Why the creator decided to do this, a mystery of this world. (or maybe not)

Old 2008-09-29, 17:29   Link #80
Lord Ryo
Noblesse Oblige

Send a message via AIM to Lord Ryo
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoken dialogue only. The text is mostly Japanese.
Why the creator decided to do this, a mystery of this world. (or maybe not)
Yeah that is kinda weird. Well, we get games that are spoken in Japanese and only have the text translated, but of course those games originate in Japan so it's undetsrtandable.
Lord Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sting