Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-09-01, 16:42   Link #381
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
More like Star Trek: new generation to Original Star trek
I disagree. ST:TNG established certain things - the Cardassians and the retconned Federation-Cardassian war, the Bajorans, and the Maquis. Chief O'Brien, who'd been established as someone who'd fought in that war at Setlik III and was decorated for his war efforts, was promoted and transferred from the Enterprise to Deep Space 9. From a series perspective, the secondary, supporting character of O'Brien, who'd been there from the first episode of TNG, was now one of the main characters in DS9.

Later, Worf would come over from the TNG franchise (after the Generations movie) to become a main character on DS9.

Regardless, DS9 would pick up the threads from the former Federation-Cardassian war as well as the Maquis problem and the now liberated Bajorans, and proceed from there. As such, DS9 was a spinoff-sequel to TNG.

Because of this, that's why I compare UQ Holder being a spinoff-sequel to Negima! in the same light as TNG --> DS9. UQ Holder is picking up certain plot threads from Negima!. Eva goes from being a secondary character in Negima! (though an important one) to a main character in UQ Holder.

The TOS --> TNG spinoff-sequel only has the time skip going for it for a comparison to MSN --> UQH. The TOS --> ST:2009 comparison only has the multiple timeline aspect. Since that reboot timeline has alternate telling of stories already told, I don't see it as being a good analogy.

All that aside, I guess some folks have the chapter 2 raw now. It isn't out anywhere that I've seen. Kinda hoping Canon Rap gets back into the translation game for RHS 'cause then I'll know we'll get good translation. *nods*

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 17:35   Link #382
Tenzen12

Anyway There is BIG timeskip, which is also most important stuff in relation to MSN, all these alternative realities are just unimportant add ons.

If you realy insist I can correct myself and say it's like ST 2009 to NG, or to make you happy even to DS9.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 18:32   Link #383
Dargor
Welp

Honestly, I would've preferred a similar setting, save for the fact that Chao and Eva never took Asuna back to the time of her sealing. Sadly, she was already something of a major character (That got shafted by the time she became relevant.), so I don't think a lot of people would have wanted her to be a protagonist. I guess I just preferred a female lead as opposed to your normal teenage youth for once.
Dargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 18:44   Link #384
Tenzen12

So you should be content with UQ as it has strong female protagonist, shouldn't you? At least I like Yukihime/Eva more than Negi or Keitarou (was it?).
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 19:03   Link #385
Dargor
Welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
So you should be content with UQ as it has strong female protagonist, shouldn't you? At least I like Yukihime/Eva more than Negi or Keitarou (was it?).
I should. Especially since my qualms with Eva are few and far between. Never was too jazzed about her though, and while I think she worked for Negima, I'll have to wait and see if she can really offer anything interesting in this series.

The female swordsman might be cool, but I don't know enough to make a call either way. I guess I'm just attached to our last heroine at the end of the day.
Dargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 19:07   Link #386
kagato3

I'm really not sure we can call this set in the Asuna didn't go back alternative reality yet.

First the graves are completely different from Negima (and looking closely in Negima it seems Negi pulled a disappearing act before he was pronounced dead as the computer article listed him as missing without a death date).

Second is the fact that we are told it has been only 10 years ago that it was revealed to the world at large was form an off hand comment it may not be a real indication of how long the masquerade has been broken (for instance all of Happosai's stories in Ranma happen "10 years ago" even though he was sealed in a cave for over 15 years and one happened when someone's grandmother was a little girl) the epilogue chapters had a member of A-3's family quite shocked at magic some years after it was said to have been broken and that magic engineering was needed just to build the space elevator (which was also completed in both timelines) it's likely their was just a shift in trying to hide it's existence rather then there being a huge press conference that magic exists and it didn't become completely believable until the ability for laymen to use it started to show up. Remember Chao was going to use magic to forcefully make people believe in it. With out that push it may have taken a lot longer for it to catch on as older mages would be set in their ways of keeping it under wraps and for the most part normals would think people are crackpots with out direct proof.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 21:15   Link #387
tsunade666

I just read the first chapter and it doesn't give a good concrete clue aside from Touta being a Konoe which leads him possible granddaughter of Konoka.

hmmm.. I will hold my judgment for further chapters and at least more clue but so far I'm liking the story. It has sadder tone to it than Negima's first chapter which I like.

It also helps there is Eva in it. My favorite character aside from Yue.
Old 2013-09-01, 21:52   Link #388
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
I'm really not sure we can call this set in the Asuna didn't go back alternative reality yet.

First the graves are completely different from Negima (and looking closely in Negima it seems Negi pulled a disappearing act before he was pronounced dead as the computer article listed him as missing without a death date).

Second is the fact that we are told it has been only 10 years ago that it was revealed to the world at large was form an off hand comment it may not be a real indication of how long the masquerade has been broken (for instance all of Happosai's stories in Ranma happen "10 years ago" even though he was sealed in a cave for over 15 years and one happened when someone's grandmother was a little girl) the epilogue chapters had a member of A-3's family quite shocked at magic some years after it was said to have been broken and that magic engineering was needed just to build the space elevator (which was also completed in both timelines) it's likely their was just a shift in trying to hide it's existence rather then there being a huge press conference that magic exists and it didn't become completely believable until the ability for laymen to use it started to show up. Remember Chao was going to use magic to forcefully make people believe in it. With out that push it may have taken a lot longer for it to catch on as older mages would be set in their ways of keeping it under wraps and for the most part normals would think people are crackpots with out direct proof.
agree and as i said before, the fact that Negi is dead or alive is hard to say, since even in the epilogue, he is only listed as missing. More over, when magic appear and when people recognize magic doesn't necessary happened at the same time, magic may be 1st publicly appear in earth for 5 to 6 years until people start to accept it, and that's ignoring the possibly information lockdown until the space development reach the final state.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 22:24   Link #389
kazzuya13

Eva doesn't really stand out for me in Negima cause she has too little screen time and not much in depth story. Even if the world knows the existance of magic it doesn't mean they need to learn other supernatural phenomenon like "immortality" just before the epilogue it was stated that Negi is already an immortal and that is the reason for his disappearance cause it will be a scandal if they knew how to achieve immortality.
Old 2013-09-02, 01:33   Link #390
Used Can

I wonder if Eva will remain a main character in UQ Holder. Sure, she got tons of focus in the first chapter, but that could also have worked as a hook.
From those 2 page spreads with a bunch of characters, it seems that the two characters that will receive the most focus will be Touta and that girl(?) who looks like Setsuna. Then there are 2 more girls, and it seems Touta's friends from chapter 1 will get focus as well (though, it seems they'll grow up).

That being said, I would love see more of Eva, but I also want her to remain the Joker Card type of character. I also hope Negi isn't really dead, and we get some explanation as to why it is believed he's dead so that the future Asuna saw can also be explained.

Anyway, seeing the graves of Touta's parents in chapter one makes me wonder if Touta is truly Konoka's grandchild. Jintetsu's grave (Touta's father), from what I can see (and I may be seeing wrong, because the image is rather blurry) says that he was born on 2040.
Considering Negima started in 2003 and that Konka (along with most girls in Negima) 14 back then, that'd only mean that by 2041 she'd be 51 years old. So, I think she'd be a bit too old to be Jintetsu's mother. Sure, there are exceptions and she could actually have given birth to him at that age, or maybe there were even pills for her to make her body younger so that she would be able to have a child at that age, but that's are some what-if situations for which I have no evidence, so I'll leave those aside. Thus, going back to the previous point, considering Konoka's age by the time Jintetsu was born (again, assuming he indeed was born during 2040), then I don't think she's Jintetsu's mother but his grandmother and therefore Touta's great-grandmother.

In addition, by looking at the grave that belongs to Touta's mother, it would seem she was born in 2050 - that is 10 years after Jintetsu was born. If we assuming, Touta's mother was Negi's daughter, then logic would tell us - leaving some what-if scenarios aside - Negi's wife couldn't have been most of the girls in Negima since most of them would have been 61 years old (or somewhere around that age).
This could mean several things like, Negi isn't actually Touta's grandfather but his great-grandfather, or Negi married some unknown girl years after the ending of Negima, or Negi got married with one of the girls in Negima that had a long-lifespan or immortality.

But well, once again, this only works assuming I'm seeing those dates correctly.
Old 2013-09-02, 01:56   Link #391
Chris38

^ Considering the fact that the color pages of the first chapter seem to imply that the story is going to be about immortal beings ... along with Eva finding her happy ending ... I think that she will stay as the main character and have a lot more screen time compared to Negima.

Although she might be nerfed a little bit, to give the new character's some chances to develop their own abilities.
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 02:49   Link #392
Voceane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Anyway, seeing the graves of Touta's parents in chapter one makes me wonder if Touta is truly Konoka's grandchild. Jintetsu's grave (Touta's father), from what I can see (and I may be seeing wrong, because the image is rather blurry) says that he was born on 2040.
Considering Negima started in 2003 and that Konka (along with most girls in Negima) 14 back then, that'd only mean that by 2041 she'd be 51 years old. So, I think she'd be a bit too old to be Jintetsu's mother. Sure, there are exceptions and she could actually have given birth to him at that age, or maybe there were even pills for her to make her body younger so that she would be able to have a child at that age, but that's are some what-if situations for which I have no evidence, so I'll leave those aside. Thus, going back to the previous point, considering Konoka's age by the time Jintetsu was born (again, assuming he indeed was born during 2040), then I don't think she's Jintetsu's mother but his grandmother and therefore Touta's great-grandmother.

In addition, by looking at the grave that belongs to Touta's mother, it would seem she was born in 2050 - that is 10 years after Jintetsu was born. If we assuming, Touta's mother was Negi's daughter, then logic would tell us - leaving some what-if scenarios aside - Negi's wife couldn't have been most of the girls in Negima since most of them would have been 61 years old (or somewhere around that age).
This could mean several things like, Negi isn't actually Touta's grandfather but his great-grandfather, or Negi married some unknown girl years after the ending of Negima, or Negi got married with one of the girls in Negima that had a long-lifespan or immortality.
What if the mother is Setsuna, Chachamaru or Zazie. And if it's Setsuna he can be a Konoe.
Voceane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 03:14   Link #393
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voceane View Post
What if the mother is Setsuna, Chachamaru or Zazie. And if it's Setsuna he can be a Konoe.
Setsuna's last name is Sakurazaki.

As for the new character Shinobu Yuki I'm hoping she's related to Shinobu Maehara and Motoko Aoyama of Love Hina. Given the name and character design.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 05:07   Link #394
APNki

Chinese scanlation for chapter 2 is out, it's 42 pages long this time.
APNki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 06:48   Link #395
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

just found this by random searching on TVtropes ... looks rather interesting to say the least ...
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 07:05   Link #396
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Japanese raw is out, too.

Please don't ask me where, I staunchly adhere to the "security through obscurity" principle when it comes to these sources.

Spoiler for excerpts of ch.02:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-09-02 at 08:53.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 08:37   Link #397
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

Spoiler:
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 08:50   Link #398
kazzuya13

At the very least I believe they will encounter the descendant of Negi's former student. At the very least what is it they want to achieve in this journey of his?
Old 2013-09-02, 08:59   Link #399
Chris38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya13 View Post
At the very least I believe they will encounter the descendant of Negi's former student. At the very least what is it they want to achieve in this journey of his?
At the moment there current objective is to get to the other side of the tower that leads to the Magic World ... most likely.

At least that's Touta's dream and something that he wants to achieve.
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 09:02   Link #400
kazzuya13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris38 View Post
At the moment there current objective is to get to the other side of the tower that leads to the Magic World ... most likely.

At least that's Touta's dream and something that he wants to achieve.
Seems kind of easy because the only need is what eva implied 400,000 and that will be done.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, mother-con, negima, sequel, time travel, waiting for love