Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-18, 13:38   Link #601
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry View Post
I never stated Love Hina was the best, but it can easily be tossed in as a classic based upon the simple fact that it probably single-handedly revived the genre that was slowly slipping into oblivion. I don't deny that if shows were released in place, they probably would've benefited from similar popularity, but that doesn't change the fact that Love Hina was the show that was released :P
Well to me classics mean it's like one of the best to this day even though it's like 20 years old or whatever, like they are THAT good. For me love hina EASILY falls into one of the worst animes, just personally just because it is one of the most aggravating/popular/stupid/unoriginal animes I've had the chance to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
Too bad that Love Hina bit off of so many other shows, that it in itself was very unoriginal. Almost all of the stuff that a lot of people attribute to Love Hina came from prior shows, so to claim that it should be considered a classic based off of the fact that "inspired" other harems is somewhat ridiculous.

Oh, and sales do not a classic make.
I totally agree with that part it's so true it's so unoriginal and it' just not just that it is, it just took that stuff and made it so much worse, usually more idiotic. you can't really say "revived the genre that was slowly slipping into oblivion" when it doesn't have a drop of originiality. I thought it was such an awful anime, it's so bad and there's really nothing refreshing or special or memorable about it well memorable in a bad way for me anyhow.
Old 2007-04-18, 20:57   Link #602
hoon
7ON

Love Hina, in terms of all genres, might not be "good". However, in terms of harem/ecchi/romance/comedy genre, it's still up there.

Majority of new harems have heavy drama elements in them. I do love deep storylines but sometimes I want to relax and watch something I don't really have to analyze about.

If you think Love Hina is "awful" I would love to see what you have in your mediocre/okay list.

Also, I never really get these "overrated" topics. If I don't like a popular series, I just assume that the series don't suit my taste and move on.

For example: Elfen Lied. I will never like a series that has so much unnecessary violence. However, I understand why some people would like the series. Just because I don't like a particular popular series doesn't make it overrated.
Old 2007-04-18, 22:03   Link #603
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoon View Post
Love Hina, in terms of all genres, might not be "good". However, in terms of harem/ecchi/romance/comedy genre, it's still up there.

Majority of new harems have heavy drama elements in them. I do love deep storylines but sometimes I want to relax and watch something I don't really have to analyze about.

If you think Love Hina is "awful" I would love to see what you have in your mediocre/okay list.

Also, I never really get these "overrated" topics. If I don't like a popular series, I just assume that the series don't suit my taste and move on.

For example: Elfen Lied. I will never like a series that has so much unnecessary violence. However, I understand why some people would like the series. Just because I don't like a particular popular series doesn't make it overrated.
That's the problem, people are associating overratedness to that of what they like and do not like. For example, I stated I felt Naruto was overrated because it was more of the same almost to a T from the DB series. Did that mean I didn't find it enjoyable for parts of the show? No, which is why I am watching season 2 and pretty much enjoying it, however it does not change my opinion on the show.

If more people would look more objectively over what is coined overrated and understand what it means for something to be overrated, we might actually get somewhere.
Old 2007-04-18, 22:11   Link #604
shoggoth80

"I think you underestimate how popular Ranma and Tenchi were back in the mid-90s."

All of my friends (the ones into anime anyhow) watched these two shows back "in the day." Still a great source of laughs. Though I don't have the gumption to sit through all 161 episodes of Ranma 1/2 anytime soon. I think I'll stick to the OVA and the movies. I thought these two shows were badass at the time, and just check full of silly humor. I would probably say that Ranma was probably the best harem/comedy piece, as I have yet to find something that has as funny a premise, or that opens the door for so much "wrong" laughs.

I don't know if I would call it over rated now... but it might have been a little over rated back then. Still good though.

I haven't watched an awful lot of Tenchi... and what I did watch belonged to a buddy...so I don't even remember which story arc it was. If I had to guess, it would have been the 13 episode OVA (they made one right?).
I always thought Ryo Ohki was a funny addition. Then again, the whole thing was wacked.
Old 2007-04-18, 22:14   Link #605
kikko_s
What's in a name....?

Send a message via AIM to kikko_s
Neon Genesis Evangelion. It started out so good, but totally just crapped out at the end.

Even the director hated it.
Old 2007-04-19, 09:01   Link #606
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry View Post
That's the problem, people are associating overratedness to that of what they like and do not like. For example, I stated I felt Naruto was overrated because it was more of the same almost to a T from the DB series. Did that mean I didn't find it enjoyable for parts of the show? No, which is why I am watching season 2 and pretty much enjoying it, however it does not change my opinion on the show.

If more people would look more objectively over what is coined overrated and understand what it means for something to be overrated, we might actually get somewhere.
You can't look objectively at something that is based on opinion, especially personal opinion. What overrated does mean is that a lot of people think that something (in this case, a show) is really good, but you don't. That pretty much defines overrated. The fact that a lot of people will argue that a show is good but someone else will argue otherwise shows that a show is overrated. In this case, to me and animefan, we think that Love Hina is overrated. I've been told numerous times how good the show is, read reviews about how great it is, and at the end of the day, I thought the show stunk. To me, the show is overrated.

The whole discussion about whether Love Hina is a classic is really just a tangent from the whole overrated argument.
Old 2007-04-19, 13:05   Link #607
shoggoth80

In regards to Evangelion (not to track too far off topic):
I had heard that many fans in Japan committed suicide after the ending. Like they felt betrayed by the direcdtor or something.
This shows 2 things 1)Some people take things waaay too far and 2)Even they thought it sucked!

This is of course, if this rumor was true. Even if it isn't ait's a pretty funny little myth.

I agree with Js2756's definition of over-rated.
It's hype.... and hyped to the point where everyone is all "ZOMG, (insert show name here) is teh best animes EVAR!!111!" and then you have a contingent of people who can't understand why, or despite liking the show, disagree with the "popular opinion" of said show. The hype will lead to heightened expectations of a show, and when those expectations aren't met, people will be let down. This can also fall into what can be called over-rated. How one defines an over rated show is entirely subjective, and there is going to be a lot of personal interpretation or opinion in all the reponses.
So, take each post for what it is, agree or disagree... it makes little difference in a discussion. It is perfectly OK to not have the same perspective on things.
Old 2007-04-20, 13:31   Link #608
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:

I truly hate love hina. I get what you mean by a show you don't like but you could see how other poeple coud like it. But Love Hina is one anime I can't ever imagine why anyone would like. it was extremely stupid/boring/unfunny-reptitive/unromantic/unoriginal and literally all the characters pointless and they were so annoying.

Somehow almost everything about this anime aggravated me, I think the biggest aspect that aggravated me was its stupidity. There's nothing about this anime that makes it watchable, it fails in like every single aspect except like animation I guess.

Quote:
well for me it's definitely way down there...

Last edited by xxanimefan4_ever; 2007-04-20 at 13:44.
Old 2007-04-20, 13:43   Link #609
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

^ Well...i wouldn't exactly call Love Hina that unoriginal, considering when it aired. I don't like it much, if at all... but i suspect my opinion might have been different if i would have watched it 7 years ago.

And i don't know how could one consider it overrated... is there a lot of hype surrounding this that i missed?

Honestly... this is the overrated anime thread, but at times i get the feeling people come here and put down any title they happen to dislike, regardless whether it is actually overrated or not.

The worst anime thread is that way > ^(0_o)> (and if Love Hina is the worst thing you have ever seen, then you are either immensely lucky, or haven't seen that much animes altogether, probably)
Old 2007-04-20, 13:50   Link #610
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

^ that's the main problem, because most of the said "overrated" series are just famous by their name or period, but absolutely not overrated by fanboys etc. (i would hardly see Pokemon as overrated : it is popular, but doesn't mean in a good way, especially i never saw fanclub or big discussion... it is basically because of the marketing around it, and the rampant number of game that is giving the "overrated" feeling)

as for your question, yes, LH was hyped, but mainly because of the manga.
It wasn't a huge disappointment (unlike Negima first season, which is one of the worst manga-> anime conversions i have watched so far... even worse than Shingetsutan Tsukihime, that quite a big shock if you ask me), but it couldn't satisfy the fans, while the "noobs" were hooked by its genre (i don't think the harem genre was really popular for non-japanese anime fandom before LH in fact)
Old 2007-04-20, 14:07   Link #611
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post

The worst anime thread is that way > ^(0_o)> (and if Love Hina is the worst thing you have ever seen, then you are either immensely lucky, or haven't seen that much animes altogether, probably)
I already said that everything about this anime just somehow aggravates me just because I'm me or from animes I've already seen that love hina reminds me when it took stuff from them and made it so much worse, stuff already done better. It's just a very strong personal dislike...

I think lots of poeple love it cause I see lots of people being say it's their first anime and they don't know... so I would say you're immensely lucky that you haven't seen that much so this anime doesn't bother you as much.

I've seen anime before and I can clearly tell the unoriginiality and cliches in which it took and made so much worse. I can't describe it exactly but it just took everything that's already been done to death except they did it so much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
^ Well...i wouldn't exactly call Love Hina that unoriginal, considering when it aired. I don't like it much, if at all... but i suspect my opinion might have been different if i would have watched it 7 years ago.
I would call it original considering when it aired. what does the year 2000 have to do with it, there was anime made in the 80's and the 90s so...

Last edited by xxanimefan4_ever; 2007-04-20 at 14:28.
Old 2008-06-13, 08:19   Link #612
Mystic_Blue_Roses
Anime Freak

Well this is what i think

1. Naruto: I think this show is so overrated it's not even funny.
2: Bleach: Also overrated
3: Fullmetal Alchemist: Overrated but still a great anime
4:Neon Genesis Evangelion: Horrible anime And overrated!

Sorry, can't think of another one right now................
Old 2008-06-16, 06:21   Link #613
Vegard Aune

1. Naruto. It hasn't been good since before the fillers started, and even back then, there were still other series that were WAY better.
2. Bleach. It's better than Naruto, but still overrated.
3. Sailor Moon. It's entertaining, but I really don't see how it managed to become so insanely popular.
4. Dragonball. For the same reasons as Sailor Moon. Admittedly, this one used to be my favourite, and I still like it, but it does have A LOT of flaws.
5. Lucky Star. Again, it is entertaining, but there's a limit to how good a show that's about absolutely nothing and focuses purely on random conversations can be. Though I still like it for reasons I can't quite understand, I do think Azumanga Daioh is better in pretty much every way... except the opening-theme.

I would have added One Piece somewhere, but seeing how I consider it to be the BEST ANIME EVAH, that wouldn't really work...

Last edited by Vegard Aune; 2008-06-16 at 08:37. Reason: Thought of a number 5.
Old 2008-06-16, 06:40   Link #614
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
The word "overrated" is overrated.
Is usually my flippant reply to when people toss questions like this in IRC channels and so on.
The problem with this i find is that, anything that becomes popular with the mass instantly gets slapped with an 'overrated' label
(mainly by those who aren't into the genre or don't like the anime)

Can't expect anime which is liked by a majority to apply to you, as is said with most things in life to be honest. We are all individuals with personal tastes, correct?
But if we're looking for the top most 'publicised' and 'reccomended' anime out there, then i'll be objective and list (in no order) based off what i think and have been told to watch.

1: Evangelion
2: Cowboy beebop (well that may have been replaced by now but earlier this decade that was one of them)
3: Naruto/ Bleach (simply cause it's the latest 'pokemon' craze in the West for the non fansub viewers)
4: Full Metal Alchemist...?
well I can't say to be honest, those living in America would know cause in the UK, it's virtually unknown except for us fansub watchers back in 2003-2004. But i remember the buzz, vibe and excitement of the series on my old forum, but it was justified at the time, (imo) - there isn't many series nowadays that commanded such a response as FMA did back then. ^^
5. Umm... Akira? G.I.T.S - probably gits, cause that's a head trip and then some xD
It's definitely amazing in it's own right and i can understand people recommending it, but it's not 'the' greatest thing out there and like i said that (and akira) are a bit of a head trip :P

Ah!
One piece.
Man, i've lost count on how many peeps have told me to see it over the last 3years.
Regardless of individual opinion, it's definitely "overrated".

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2008-06-16, 07:54   Link #615
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I think there's a difference between "over-rated" and "over-hyped".

As an Eva fan, I'll say that Eva is over-hyped. It's not just on the part of over-zealous fans. Gainax has shamelessly milked the series for 10+ years.

Anime based off SJ series needs to be watched sparingly, due to fillers. If you sit through every single episode ever made, I think something's very wrong. Such series are both "over-hyped" and "over-rated" (Man, who wants fillers on a regular basis?).
Old 2008-06-16, 10:54   Link #616
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
The two kinda go hand-in-hand, something which is highly praised initally by the mass will in turn get 'overhyped' just cause it can sell on reputation alone.
"Everyone likes it! Everyone prasies it! Let's market this thing and make years of sequels and merchandise!" (This applies to movies too)
I was checking the dictionary to double check, but the two more or less go hand in hand.
Huge fanbase = mass publicity = more likely to make more money cause of the reaction of initial huge fanbase

Spoiler for definitions:

See I can't help but think that Eva is 'over-rated' because of it's 'hype' - i didn't like it, but I sure had to endure some tedious classes of other geeks going on about it like it was their Bible, analysing and picking at each others opinions x.x

As for "fillers" (yes i quote that, cause before naruto started it's long ass run of them, i never considered an ep as a 'filler' - didn't even know what that word meant to be honest.)
Still don't consider eps as fillers most days, lol - to me it's just another anime ep, regardless of it "adhereing to the manga" or being an animated original.
If the story mini arc is good, I'll enjoy.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2008-06-16, 15:42   Link #617
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Beware: Wall Of Text lurks ahead!

I dunno. I kind of think it's silly to try and compile a list of "most overrated anime" that's so global. First, it looks like there's a hard time even defining "overrated". Second, such different kinds of anime appeal to different viewers. I think several people have mentioned this, but it's an important point.

I love anime where I can empathize and connect with the characters and then basically live their adventure through them. My friend, however, likes anime that's more action oriented with entertaining twists in the plot and cool visuals/fight scenes. He's pretty ambivalent about my favorite series, because he's not as engaged with the main characters, or what trials they go through; he just wants to see some action. Whereas I'm not all that into an anime series if I can't really emotionally connect with one of the main characters.

So, when I see people say they don't like Mai Hime, for example, I'm not too surprised. I think some series hit home for a segment of the viewer-ship and others just don't. If you watch Mai Hime and don't find a connection with the main characters, you aren't gonna really think much of it, because that's really the main thrust of the story. Pretty simple. That's not to say you are wrong or "can't think" or such. It just means that it's not exactly your cup of tea. Even some people who typically like character-development may not be attached to every main character they meet. Sometimes people just get rubbed the wrong way by a protagonist and just can't get into it. That's not a sign of a "bad anime" or a sign of a "weak-minded viewer".

On the other hand, some people don't like Cowboy Bebop because they keep looking for a main plotline. Well, I mean Star Trek (original and TNG at least, and DS9 to start) never really had a main plotline either, except for some common threads (borg, Klingon Ascension, Dominion, etc.). Again, it's all about what you are looking for. I loved Cowboy Bebop because it was just a cool story about some people, with cool music, and I took each episode as a separate show. But I can see if you are looking for a front-to-back story arc, that you may not like it as much. That doesn't mean I'm right and you are wrong, it's just how much we connected with the story telling style of that anime.

That being said, I think reviews or these "contests" should take all this into account, and identify some of these "story vs. art vs. character interaction" points, or at least mention specifics in the logic of why they feel something is overrated. It does seem like some transcend all genres (*cough*DBZNarutoPokemonYugioh*cough*), but for others, it's not going to tell anyone much if you vote as overrated a story-based anime (Eva, eg.) because you value more action and visual development, or vote for a samurai anime (Kenshin, eg.) because you value more story and character development, but not really explain that in the reasoning.

So, after all that, here's my short list :

1) NGE. The series is cool. It's thoughtful, and provocative. It's definitely story based, with a good amount of action.

Spoiler for NGE Impressions:

2) Naruto Ball Z - I'm just not as big of a fan of this style. For those who love fight sequences and just entertaining episodes, I can see why this might rate highly. I guess I just usually go for series that have a clearly defined beginning and ending and are outlined throughout with a clear understanding of where they are going before they even start.
3) Chobits - This just didn't do it for me. I didn't actually watch the whole thing. I'd really like to hear from someone who DID like it to go through their reasoning, because that might get me to see something that I didn't catch at first. I don't mind the "ultra-cutesy" bishoujo style at all, but I guess I'm not as fond of shows where the girls are curios or purely there for the kawaii or sex appeal. VanDread kinda fits that "harem-style", although I did like that series. I dunno that I'd call it "overrated" because I did find it entertaining and enjoyable, but I'll admit VanDread didn't have the thickest of plots. Chobits carried the style a little too far for me, at least in the opening episodes...

My MAJOR caveat though: I think people should still watch a series, even if other people vote it as "bad" or "overrated". You never know, you might actually really connect with that main character, or find some scene really awesome. And always take personal preferences like these with a grain of salt. I think most anime series are a lot of fun to watch, even if I don't put it as one of my most recommended series. It's the new experiences that matter most, IMHO.

Ciao!

Last edited by KitsuneNineTails; 2008-06-16 at 16:02. Reason: Suggestions that some items may be spoilerific :)
Old 2008-06-16, 15:46   Link #618
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever View Post
I would call it original considering when it aired. what does the year 2000 have to do with it, there was anime made in the 80's and the 90s so...
There were few anime of the harem/ecchi genre before Love Hina came around (notables: Ranma, Tenchi, etc.) Its popularity is probably what we can blame for the genre becoming more rampant after the turn of the century.
While it was "popular" it doesn't mean it was "overrated". Many people know of the series but don't hold it in expecially high regard. As Klash said (with a new avatar.), it was overhyped because the manga was very popular as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
I think there's a difference between "over-rated" and "over-hyped".

As an Eva fan, I'll say that Eva is over-hyped. It's not just on the part of over-zealous fans. Gainax has shamelessly milked the series for 10+ years.
Nah, someone over must have had a tinge of shame when they stuck two movies together and released "The Revival of Evangelion".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Spoiler for definitions:
There's a difference there.
Overrating a series is what this thread is about, series getting more recognition and praise than they should receive, whereas overhype is overpromoting or overpublicising something. Things like Haruhi, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and Code Geass weren't overpromoted or overpublicised, but they are definitely overrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
See I can't help but think that Eva is 'over-rated' because of it's 'hype' - i didn't like it, but I sure had to endure some tedious classes of other geeks going on about it like it was their Bible, analysing and picking at each others opinions x.x
Are you referring to the Biblical references or the last two episodes on its meh postmodernist thoughts?
I've personally never really seen geeks go on about Evangelion like it was their Bible, but it probably exists.
Of course, they haven't created Evaism, so it's probably not to the level of our good friend Haruhi.

And as for my list:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Code Geass
Fullmetal Alchemist
Death Note
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

@Kitsune: You might want to put some of that in spoiler tags.
Old 2008-06-16, 16:16   Link #619
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Overrated is a fucking arrogant way of saying "I don't like this shit." It says: "These fans are stupid for liking what they like as much as they do; I know where it should stand in the All-Anime Rankings of All Time." It's flamebait at best and trolling at worst...or did those two go hand in hand? I can't quite remember.

Or sometimes people actually like the piece, but seeing that it's very popular, find it necessary to preserve their e-penis/anti-mainstream credentials by bashing the stuff just to seem sophisticated.

Remember: popularity polls are never wrong, even if you think they're quite shallow.

~my 2 drachmas
Old 2008-06-16, 16:45   Link #620
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

It's hard to take discussions like this seriously when the standard for determining whether something is overrated depends on how much something "should" receive. "Should" has got to be one of the biggest red flags for subjective and disputable statements. Who's to stop me from saying that some highly praised works "should" deserve even more praise?

Sorry, studying for the MCATs right now, and following the verbal section, I'm pretty sensitive to unsubstantiated opinions to be disected and processed.
Closed Thread