AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 140 25.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 154 28.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 133 24.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 82 15.07%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 4.04%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.18%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.18%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.37%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-30, 03:12   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Claymore - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire 26 episodes of Claymore ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about the DVD only footage, etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design

• Which kind of footage (DVD only) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better.
And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. For example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling. Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun

Please remember that this is not a manga thread. While you are free to discuss the anime series as much as you want, please do not include spoilers about anything that happens in the manga after Rigaldo is defeated. Such discussion would be inappropriate spoilers. Think of that as an alternate world which is just not the same story as the anime.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-09-30, 03:36   Link #2
emu777
Shapeshifter Imperius

WOOT FIRST

I thought the overall series was well done, the ending helped make a nice seguay for a second season. Although the whole
Spoiler for Ending:
thing is going to have some major effects on the 2nd season if there is one. Though I wont base my rating with the manga in mind, but rather as an anime only perspective. Overall the animation was good and the storyline was just awesome. Now I can use my CLAYMORE BUSTER ava without any regrets
Old 2007-09-30, 05:13   Link #3
Yesmilord

The anime was very suspenseful and kept me pretty entertained throughout. I gave it a bit lower score than I probably should have (a seven), because the last few episodes were quite terrible and felt completely out of place. Some notes: Raki's incessant crying, WTFBBQ DBZ BATTLE IN LAVA CRATER LOL RANDOM, leaving too many loose ends, and seeing Teresa's head get cut off for the 20574th time. I know I'm not supposed to bring it up but derailing from the manga didn't just hurt the series, it gouged its eyes out right before it crossed the finish line. So many key points and things that should've been kept the way they were will now alter the future course of the story and what the original author probably intended (I had a whole prediction about what Raki would do in the future...). It was hasty, to say the least. They should've waited till the manga was further before lunging towards the anime production.

So overall, it was good, but nothing amazing by any means. The series holds a lot of aesthetic value for myself (being a medieval / fantasy / berserk fan) and I would definitely recommend this to anyone with those common interests. I would not, however, dare compare this to Berserk - that's just blasphemy.
Old 2007-09-30, 05:15   Link #4
kureshii
Disabled By Request

7 from me.

Claymore's story progress is quite similar to My Hime IMO; starts out moderately, gets really good near the middle, but fizzles at the end (and both have terrible endings, in different ways, but let's not get too deep into that). I started watching the anime before reading the manga, so I guess in many ways I am spared the torture of witnessing the Anime/Manga Deviation Point (AMDP), and of knowing how much better the story could have been.

As a fresh Claymore fan, I liked the setting of the story. Finally, here's a series where warriors are differentiated by their personalities and styles more than their weapons and costumes. The in-show art and backgrounds are really pretty as well, even with the limited grey-and-brown palette. Still a little too much talking during battles, but it's still better than many series so I shouldn't complain about that.

The whole warrior-turning-to-dark-side story mechanism was quite interesting at first, but now that people can break that point willingly and return, the story will have to depend on other mechanisms to stay fresh; I'm just starting on the manga and hope that it will be good, though from what I read here it seems I won't need to worry ^_^

The way the series ended, I'm confident there will be a 2nd season, and I will wait for it no matter how long it takes.
Old 2007-09-30, 06:46   Link #5
DazarGaidin
There there, Maggie-chan

I hovered between 7 and 8 and decided on an 8, i think the beginning and middle were just so strong they carried the ending. If the ending had been pulled off better this easily could have been a 10.

Old 2007-09-30, 06:54   Link #6
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

8 for me. Started out strong, fell really badly at the bottom. If i were just to judge on the first 16~17 episodes it would be a definite 10, but I still feel that the ending was a disappointment. Storyline is good and suspenseful. (Episode 7 was the first episode in my whole anime viewing history that i actually felt "OMG NO!" when it ended XD ). Animation quality was also pretty high, so id say that it is well worthy of a 8.
Old 2007-09-30, 07:05   Link #7
ApostleOfGod
^.^

8/10 total series. Ending was too soft.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Old 2007-09-30, 07:21   Link #8
Joka

2/10

The last few episodes shat all over what the rest of the series build up on. Fuck the Claymore anime.
Old 2007-09-30, 07:28   Link #9
Riful
Of The West

7. A good show but unfortunately nothing more.

I wish for Madhouse to continue adapting great manga series, but please leave out their own "story" next time, which seemed like written by a 5 year old.

They'll better adapt completed series or ones that have a good point to end without destroying the story.
Old 2007-09-30, 07:33   Link #10
Rahan

7. The Theresa Arc was totally awesome. (9-10 worth)
The rest was good stuff, but not that great.

I absolutely hate the music (not the OP-ED which were decent) and I couldn't help but laugh everytime the Star Wars's TIE-Fighter laser's sound was used.

I voted 8, but after thinking and writing this post, I thought I should lower my note. (can't change my vote though)
Old 2007-09-30, 08:01   Link #11
LesAmiesNoir
A hopeless romantic girl

I was found of most of it. But as you all say the ending was very bad, so a 7, really like the manga though, but I bring no news to this do I?
Old 2007-09-30, 08:10   Link #12
lenneal

This series was awsome i was wanted to get to watch the lastest ep b4 my friends would come and spoil it -_- overall i give this series a 10!!! ^^
Old 2007-09-30, 08:33   Link #13
hierophant
anime freak

I value a lot endings. It can make a crappy story a wonderful work, or a good story become a total crap. Sadly for Claymore was the later.

Considering the manga story, I would give the anime an average rate. However, as the anime deviated from the manga, I must consider the anime as a whole, and ignore the manga events.

With the ending this horrible, I end with a story with potential who is completely obliterated by the ending. It was just too painful to see such story get wasted in such retarded way. (Raki saving Priscila's ass, Claire ending without a reason to exist, too many out-of-characters, nothing revelated about organization, etc etc etc etc) For me, that painful feeling completely overwhelm my joy from seeing the manga events well animated.

So, if I had to consider ep1-19 and forget 20-26 I would give it good. But to consider it as a whole I just can't forgive the ending

Last edited by hierophant; 2007-10-01 at 06:09.
Old 2007-09-30, 08:49   Link #14
F3rNanD3s

10- for me.

The first 20 episodes of Claymore are really that epic that they actually covered up the poor ending for me, otherwise its definitely a perfect 10.

Esp the Teresa arc.... its just so exquisitely extroadinary beautiful tragedy......

and actually love the ranking system in the organisation where more powerful Claymores keep on appearing and had a encounter with the protagonist..... my type of shounen drama....

hoping for a 2nd season.......
Old 2007-09-30, 09:18   Link #15
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I Gave i 8 because it ended bad priscilla didnt die that just defeats the purpose Flora died why does priscilla have to live
and raki didnt get killed my rigaldo
Old 2007-09-30, 09:54   Link #16
Teresa/Clare1415
Yuri Fangirl

8/10 for me. It had a great plot. Kinda fell towards the end. I loved the animation.

One more thing... TOO MUCH RAKI!!!!
Old 2007-09-30, 09:57   Link #17
Westlo
Lets be reality

It gets a 7, if 20-26 had been followed as well as the Teresa arc (which is 10 material) it would've gotten a 9.
Old 2007-09-30, 10:30   Link #18
BrokenWingz

Animation Quality: 8.5
Voice Actors: 8
Script: 9.5
Editing: 6.5
Emotional Involvement: 9
Music:9

Average: 8.4

Rating above is for claymore generally but more for anime. Moment I watched first episode of claymore I could tell it was going to be at the top of my list to watch for this season, still is.
Animation quality, good no other real comment on this criteria.

Voice Acting, generally well done minor thing that I disliked was how I dislike how 80% yoma energy release sounds more like an awakened being, i.e Ophelia and Riful sound fine as awakened as contrasted to Clare sounding like she was more yoma than them, that's just my personal opinion.

Script, for claymore generally I love the script down to the very small details even reading the manga as some say it takes out the thrill of watching, in this case in only made me want to watch it just as much if not more.

Editing, I'll make this the 20-26 "edit", I personally didn't like it I dislike the way things played out, I dislike the way the ending hypes up a battle then ends it as if the battle didn't happen only leaving the knowledge that there was a battle, I personally don't see how this is better than following the manga. Though I disliked it, it was bearable and enjoyable enough to watch.

Emotional attachment, As said above, claymore was the top show for me this season and I don't think I've been as hyped up about any other anime as much as claymore if not, not in a very long time that beign said this is for claymore in general.

Music: Opening and ending songs were perfect, BGM were done well at times and at other good scenes they're weren't used or not used properly, and ED->Riyu Kosaka-> BeForU favourite group thanks to claymore xD.

So, overall a rating of 8.4 rounded to 8

Last edited by BrokenWingz; 2007-09-30 at 17:06. Reason: Added in music
Old 2007-09-30, 10:37   Link #19
Seska

7/10. The last episodes after Pieta, turn the 9/10 down to 7/10....

Um, did someone notice it? The Hall effect in Rakis voice yelling "Clare" so many times? Looks like the Voice actor for Raki where in a small Cabin and the Sound dude, didn't filter this Hall effect in his voice act. But strange, that the Voices for the Females where good... Or they used the Raki's "Clare" to mutch, without taken notice to it...

And please... Do not overuse the "Moto, Moto, Moto, Moto Power"... It can be bad, after third time hearing this... "Moto" or "Full Power" is better... or More, a bit. Not enough. Just not good.. Need more strength... Thats better then ever use "Moto, Moto, Moto, Moto Power"...

Last edited by Seska; 2007-09-30 at 11:04.
Old 2007-09-30, 10:45   Link #20
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

although i vote a 10 for mad house quality but still unsatisfied about the ending,if it follows manga very closely and leave cliffhanger for OAV/season2 then it would be the most awesome anime i ever watch.