AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-17, 22:13   Link #141
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange.a View Post
Are you seriously comparing a 2002 show with a show that started a few weeks ago in terms of animation style?

Azumanga is one of the few comedy masterpieces in anime, and the animation is more than enough for the type of humor that the series presented.
Yeah, I'm seriously comparing a 2002 show to a anime that started a few weeks ago in terms of animation style the same way you are doing it in terms of gags and characters. Besides the point, being made in 2002 is no excuse to have low animation (pointing out to Voices of a Distant Star by Makoto Shinkai).

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange.a
And also I would like to remind you that neat between-frames and a couple of CGs here and there doesn't actually mean better quality. Although it's true that LS kinda wasted that animation budget in nothing more than longroad jokes and lots of tsukkomis, I wouldn't go as far as to say that Minami-ke is QUALITY, but it's certainly enough.
It doesn't mean better quality, but so far, it has better animation quality than azumanga. You should read my statements carefully, i said that it has better animation to PORTRAY COMEDY, not better animation overall in comparison to other shows this season. I agree that the animation in azumanga did not influence the quality of the gags, but having good animation standards is an extra effort i appreciate from any anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange.a
But putting aside all of that, I think I said that I liked the show so it was just a rant.
I'm aware that you like the show, but i didn't agree with your overstatement despising every comedy/slice of life anime featuring a cast of girls to be a ripoff of azumanga.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 23:28   Link #142
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level E View Post
Not sure if EP02 gave you a good look, but you may want to notice what classroom Chiaki is in
OMG! How could I have missed that! It was even on the OP sequence written on the two buckets. LOL! Thanx for pointing that out. It's hilarious!
khryoleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 03:28   Link #143
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Wow, the OP's karaoke by Ayako surprised me. It's probably one of the best karaoke I've ever seen.

Anyways, you guys have been trying to make the argument whether or not this is similar to Azumanga Daioh or Lucky Star, but does it really matter? When someone says it's a good "substitute" to Lucky Star, they're not saying it's exactly the same as Lucky Star, but they're just saying how it's a good comedy. That's how I view it. All I know is that I enjoy Minami-ke, and yes, it will replace whatever random comedy series I've watched last season, and I had fun with them. That's what matters, isn't it?

Lol I haven't noticed the classroom until you guys pointed it out. That's hilarious for some weird reason.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 04:43   Link #144
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
I'm aware that you like the show, but i didn't agree with your overstatement despising every comedy/slice of life anime featuring a cast of girls to be a ripoff of azumanga.
I second that. Azumanga defined a genre (at least in the public consciousness, and I'm not aware of older examples at the moment) nothing less, but also nothing more. One could as well say that Clannad is just a Tenshi or Love Hina ripoff or whatever the mother of harem might be.

On the other hand I think that Azu is an anime hard to surpass in terms of (my personal) enjoyment. Let's see where this and Sketchbook is going. Visually, Sketchbook > Minami-ke at the moment.
Old 2007-10-18, 04:51   Link #145
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
Let's see where this and Sketchbook is going. Visually, Sketchbook > Minami-ke at the moment.
Probably true, but hey, Sketchbook isnt funny ! Its FUN, but not funny.
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 07:01   Link #146
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
This show is precious. <3 Kana (who reminds me very much of Miu) and Momo-- I mean, Chiaki's playtime is quite funny; they make a good comedy duo team that even Haruka gets wrapped in sometimes. I'm not usually a fan of loud characters who think before acting, but Kana - like Miu - has somehow charmed her way out of that. (I *loved* her reaction while Chiaki read her "fight" letter. I was lolol-ing so much. XD) I also find it hilarious that a popular shounen loves Kana -- he pretty much bought his own ticket to hell, didn't he.

Chiaki's personality reminds me a little bit of Alice from ARIA. So far she's not known to have a hazukashii creamy-sweet inside, but her reactions (and facial expressions, definitely!) are similar. Alice and Chiaki both like to sit and relax and observe with dry comments rather than actually do anything about the annoyance, and they both have their rare "I'm mature but still a child" moments -- Alice with her stepping on shadows game, and Chiaki being freaked out by a puckering Kana.

Pointo: I liked when Kana burst into the room; the "camera" swerved around as she belly-flopped on the table (she's immune to pain!). Ah, and I really like the little sound effects too - they add more *kick* to the show.

Minami-ke: win. I'm definitely going to be keeping up with this one. (Yoooshi, 2/3 win so far! On I continue with my journey through new fall series!)
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 08:24   Link #147
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

I like how they contrast (or parallel?) Haruka's relationship with her sisters in the beginning of episode 1 and her relationship with her friends in the beginning of episode 2.

Kana and Maki both say something silly and Haruka pretty much ignores it. Even Chiaki and Atsuko get into the act. Then Kana and Maki protest at about getting the opposite reaction they were expecting.

Spoiler for Episode 1 scene:

Spoiler for Episode 2 scene:

I'm sure that by now they are all used to these happening. ("What's wrong, Boy Who Cried, 'Wolf'?")
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 12:01   Link #148
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
I second that. Azumanga defined a genre (at least in the public consciousness, and I'm not aware of older examples at the moment) nothing less, but also nothing more. One could as well say that Clannad is just a Tenshi or Love Hina ripoff or whatever the mother of harem might be.
Offhand, Sensei no Ojikan is two years older (in terms of manga). And I'm far from being an authority on the subject, so there may well be stuff that's even older.

I find Minami-ke's cast and humor to be somewhat bland, honestly. Not bad, but not that funny either. If I had to choose, I'd have preferred more Today in Class 5-2.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 12:57   Link #149
Necro-

just noticed on anidb that a sequel/second season is due in 2008!

...well it COULD be an ova also since the number of episodes isn't listed but still
Necro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 15:34   Link #150
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I find this series quite amusing. While it uses the same humour style like Azumanga Daioh but it's more about sister's interaction.

And Haruka is pure <3!!! i love how she gets embaressed when her two younger siblings asked her about intimate activities between boys and girls.
Old 2007-10-18, 16:23   Link #151
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Ahhh. Just finished watching the first episode.

Although dry humor typically works better in manga compared to anime adaptations, I think they did a good job of supplementing it with other extras such as the zany sound effects and some scenes which weren't really necessary but nice to have as icing on the cake (ex. plates of weird dishes flying before the screen accompanied by screams). The animation's awesome, the direction is pretty smooth, the music fits the scenes without trying too hard to sound funny, and the bases of the comic scenes aren't too random or obscure.

All in all, it looks like Minami-ke's getting royal treatment compared to Kyou no Go no Ni. If all goes well, this anime series might be the best thing in cute comedy since Ichigo Mashimaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I find Minami-ke's cast and humor to be somewhat bland, honestly. Not bad, but not that funny either. If I had to choose, I'd have preferred more Today in Class 5-2.
Are you talking about the manga or the anime? The latter had too much underage fanservice imo.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 18:28   Link #152
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life

On the other hand I think that Azu is an anime hard to surpass in terms of (my personal) enjoyment. Let's see where this and Sketchbook is going. Visually, Sketchbook > Minami-ke at the moment.
Further arguing this will ruin the enjoyment of some people including me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Chiaki's personality reminds me a little bit of Alice from ARIA. So far she's not known to have a hazukashii creamy-sweet inside, but her reactions (and facial expressions, definitely!) are similar. Alice and Chiaki both like to sit and relax and observe with dry comments rather than actually do anything about the annoyance, and they both have their rare "I'm mature but still a child" moments -- Alice with her stepping on shadows game, and Chiaki being freaked out by a puckering Kana.

Minami-ke: win. I'm definitely going to be keeping up with this one. (Yoooshi, 2/3 win so far! On I continue with my journey through new fall series!)
You are not the only one who finds Chiaki similar to Alice. Besides their personalities, i find their voices so alike as to perfectly represent their respective character, and though i'm fully aware that Chihara Minori is the one voicing Chiaki and not Alice's seiyuu. It's quite surprising to listen Chihara Minori as Chiaki when i have known her for doing emotionless persona like Yuki and Minami from SHnY and LS respectively.

Last edited by Falkor; 2007-10-18 at 19:39.
Old 2007-10-18, 23:16   Link #153
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Zeus View Post
Are you talking about the manga or the anime? The latter had too much underage fanservice imo.
Either. Both.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 01:27   Link #154
GriS

Finally a decent comedic relief for this season after lucky star ended. Yes, I know they both are far from being similar. I am just looking for a comedic dose to sit back, relax and laugh. Many of the fall series failed me except for 2nd seasons and kyoani's masterpiece.

Anime database websites, both anidb and animenewsnetwork, mention Minami-ke: Okawari as alternative retelling. Do anyone has more details on this? In what way is it alternative to this original show?
GriS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 11:02   Link #155
icyy

hi guys
no formalities
am a new member here this is my first post

i will make it quick

minami-ke is a unique anime not similar to lucky star nor azumanga though lucky is not that good

its an anime without a plot nor a goal and they talk about non-useful things except the time when they mentioned the children abuse in japan and how people should try to solve this problem

but in minami ke they talk about daily stuff with importance
adding to it some comedy ^_^
some examples : ( i list them in white )

spoiler in white
spoiler in white
spoiler in white

__________________________________________________ _______________

1-kissing on the tv shows and how it teach bad morals
2-short skirts and how the uniforms is revealing and should be dealt
with
3-how (haruka) make sure that her little sister donot learn things that is not for her age
4-and how to avoid problems by changing the subject ^_^ very educational

__________________________________________________ _________

i think this show has many positive points one of them would be the little or should say no fan-service which indicate that this show will stand on things beside
simple panty shots and nakedness thats impressive in my opinion becz most of anime shows rely on it \

i donot know what the future holding for this series maybe they will include fan service in the future but thats a good 2 episodes for now

i think that japan started to feel the moral problems which its facing and they will see in the future that if its leaved unsolved like this they will face the results

c ya
icyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 17:44   Link #156
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Konnyanachiwa~ welcome to the forums. You'll want to read the rules, just in case.

Spoilers can be covered up using the spoiler tags, so it's unnecessary to color code them to be invisible until highlighted. Here's a quickie tutorial on how to use them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyy View Post
i think this show has many positive points one of them would be the little or should say no fan-service which indicate that this show will stand on things beside
simple panty shots and nakedness thats impressive in my opinion becz most of anime shows rely on it \
...And here I'm going to assume you meant something along the lines of, "anime is better if there's no fanservice because many other series use it so much". Am I right?
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 18:23   Link #157
Mashimaro
q8D

Absolutely love this series, definately going to be one of the best comedy this year. =D
Mashimaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 10:27   Link #158
Seleria

Finished reviewing the first episode and found the episode very funny. Perhaps it is largely because I have very similar interactions with my siblings and female cousins and to see it animated is purely elating.

The chase scene in episode 1 was <3 I sometimes do that to my cousin's cousin and she reacts just like Chiaki.

Dunno if anyone noticed but Haruka 「春香」, Kana 「夏奈 」, and Chiaki's 「千秋」 names contain the kanji for spring, summer, and fall. I guess it is an allusion to their personalities. Haruka is more carefree, loving and nurturing, perfect for spring I should say. Kana is high-strung and hot-blooded, energy levels is off the charts, fiery summer, right? Finally, Chiaki is a bit of snob and acts coldly towards Kana and quite mysterious as well, so yeah I think fall would just be about right.

So, where's winter? Look at the spoiler for the answer.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Seleria; 2007-10-21 at 10:53.
Seleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 16:07   Link #159
Falkor

I just watched episode 03 raw and although I didn’t understand much of what was being said, it was fairly entertaining. I need some subs to pick up my lack of Japanese.
Spoiler for episode 03- not a great spoiler though:

Chiaki-sama is easily becoming my favorite character not only of the show, but from this fall season. She is just way too cute in both personality and character. The way she ‘coldly’ deals with Kana’s lack of common sense while always remaining calm and mature has been one of her multiple charms so far. However, It's the way she blushes under certain situations or the way she behaves towards her oldest sister what really melts my heart.

I have noticed the sisters wear different set of clothes throughout the episode. For example, Chiaki alone wears a jean at the beginning of episode 01 while changing into a cute skirt for the scene she is being chased by Kana, to finally show off a set combining shorts and long socks at the end of the episode. I hope this trend remains because there’s barely any show featuring a girl wearing something other than school uniform or school uniform.
Old 2007-10-21, 17:17   Link #160
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Lol i agree on the uniform bit

yep they sure arent slacking with detail ^^

ep 3
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life