AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-29, 12:52   Link #41
Eleonora Viltaria
Vanadis

Luffy's attack are just very predictable and just fun to watch.

So who do think is going to be the next villain after joker?
Old 2013-08-29, 15:32   Link #42
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
They're cool?

I thought it was either just friction caused by their powers colliding, or just added special effect to make everything look extra cool.

Whatever the case, I don't think it needs to be considered too deeply...at least not currently.
I hope Oda has something about this other than “it looks cool“ in mind.
OP is one of my favorite manga because, with some minor exceptions, it is conclusive in its own world. You don’t have dead dropouts turning out to be the most overpowered villains who revive never before mentioned beasts while fighting against super saiyan power uped good guys or opponents clashing against each other with totally different attacks where you can’t tell why one side won or not.
One Piece isn’t the perfect example for a tactical fighting system (that being HxH in my eyes) but until now all attacks seemed understandable. If Luffy, who trained for two years to gain the strength to become Pirate King while bearing the loss of his brother, is being given the key to achieve his goals by Rayleigh would waste his time to train “cool looking” moves I’d be a little bit disappointed.

Well, even if it was that way it wouldn’t affect my worshipping of OP, because it still is one of the best thought through stories with a perfectly timed and planed time skip and really mature (!) emotional content which reflects the history of civilization from Odysseus till Eminem while also being sociocritical and yet fun to read.
Old 2013-08-29, 16:40   Link #43
ranchan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvaria Bles View Post
So who do think is going to be the next villain after joker?
Catwoman or the Penguin perhaps :-p
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
Old 2013-08-29, 17:03   Link #44
mrShady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchan13 View Post
Catwoman or the Penguin perhaps :-p
You already forgot Rises?
It was Bane
Old 2013-08-29, 23:26   Link #45
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 719
That was a good chapter. Garp is old school. If he ever did get a Devil Fruit a Zoan would fit that guy very nicely. That third Gear armor haki is powerful. I wonder if Luffy has stronger armor haki then most people? When his fist expands in 3rd gear it is just has big or bigger then the enemy and he has to cover it all in armor haki. For the enemies they only have to cover all of there bodies or certain parts. So Luffy's has to have stronger armor haki then them right? Has for Burgess he is going to want take Luffy down in the ring. I don't think he will attack luffy in the waiting room, he wants the world to see him do it, and he wants to test himself.

Patterns
I do think Burgess will go down. Ever since the time skip began Luffy has done something to piss off a Yonkou. Fisherman Island (Big Mamma), Punk Hazard (Kaidou), now you have Dressrossa the tournament with Burgess (Black Beard). I wonder how Luffy will piss Shanks off? I know Shanks and Luffy are friends but you aren't true friends unless you fight.
Old 2013-08-30, 01:48   Link #46
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
I do think Burgess will go down. Ever since the time skip began Luffy has done something to piss off a Yonkou.

I.... highly doubt that. I don't doubt the possibility of Luffy having a brief tangle with Burgess this arc, but having one of Blackbeard's officers go down within a mere couple of days after the Straw-Hats' arrival to the New World? Don't think so.

If they DO fight, I see it more likely that it gets interrupted before we get any decisive evidence of either combatant's full power. Then after the arc is over, Burgess can report to Teach about how much Luffy has grown over the past two years, which will attract Blackbeard's attention to the Straw-Hats WITHOUT the need to destroy any of his crew or turf. And besides, I can't see Burgess falling to Luffy, anyway. The way I see it, each Blackbeard officer is pretty much reserved for each individual Straw-Hat, and I think it's safe to say that Luffy has exclusive dibs on Teach.....
Old 2013-08-30, 03:34   Link #47
JonSnow

Cavendish will surely attack Luffy on his way out of the arena now, since the platform's destroyed. Burgess and Bartolomeo will definitely want a piece of the action. It's a 4 way rumble or maybe 5 with Bellamy.
  • I wonder if Donchinjao keeps sinking, till his head hits the top of the dark factory...
Old 2013-08-30, 05:31   Link #48
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Luffy vs Burgess here? I think it would end up something like timeskip upgraded Lucci having a fight with pre-arlong Luffy. These guys are end-bosses of One Piece And it will definitely require another upgrade then haki to defeat them.
Old 2013-08-30, 05:39   Link #49
bonsobon

Bearing in mind the fact that Luffy was always going to win C block, did Chinjao push him hard enough during their duel to be worthy of the hype surrounding his character? Or was the hype unjustified in the end? It'll be interesting to know people's thoughts on this.
Old 2013-08-30, 05:44   Link #50
JonSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
Luffy vs Burgess here? I think it would end up something like timeskip upgraded Lucci having a fight with pre-arlong Luffy. These guys are end-bosses of One Piece And it will definitely require another upgrade then haki to defeat them.
You just made Burgess sound like he was way stronger than an admiral and Garp as a weakling,since he pulverized 8 mountains to prepare for his clash against Donchinjao's head. The Donchinjao that Luffy defeated, who you think is to weak to face Burgess.
Old 2013-08-30, 08:31   Link #51
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I.... highly doubt that. I don't doubt the possibility of Luffy having a brief tangle with Burgess this arc, but having one of Blackbeard's officers go down within a mere couple of days after the Straw-Hats' arrival to the New World? Don't think so.

If they DO fight, I see it more likely that it gets interrupted before we get any decisive evidence of either combatant's full power. Then after the arc is over, Burgess can report to Teach about how much Luffy has grown over the past two years, which will attract Blackbeard's attention to the Straw-Hats WITHOUT the need to destroy any of his crew or turf. And besides, I can't see Burgess falling to Luffy, anyway. The way I see it, each Blackbeard officer is pretty much reserved for each individual Straw-Hat, and I think it's safe to say that Luffy has exclusive dibs on Teach.....
Connections
Why not we have Admiral on the scene in mere couple of days after Straw-hat's arrival to the New World. Its luffy and Black Beard that have the connection not Burgess and Luffy. Black Beard is suppose to be the end game right? It was him who brought Ace to the Gallows not Burgess. Luffy is a captain and so is Black Beard. Burgess is subordinate, why does it have to be Luffy climbing the ladder to beat someone? Burgess 2 years ago did not seem all that powerful, so why now does he have to become some end boss for Luffy when he hasn't earned that status? Working for a Yonkou it does not make you invincible. I think a lot of people are looking at Luffy like he still has to grow(and yes he does). Why not look at it the other way and think of him has high level character already? We think Black Beard is powerful because he is Yonkou status. Who is powerful enough to defeat Luffy? So Far Luffy is taking names and kicking ass since the New World. I have yet to see anyone challenge Luffy (and Zoro) yet. Right now Luffy is undefeated in the New World. I think sending Black Beard a message by defeating one of his Subordiantes is just has affective if not more. I think the question should be is Burgess strong enough the face the Captain of the Straw Hat crew?

Last edited by grey_1960; 2013-08-30 at 08:50.
Old 2013-08-30, 12:04   Link #52
JonSnow

Quote:
Connections
Why not we have Admiral on the scene in mere couple of days after Straw-hat's arrival to the New World. Its luffy and Black Beard that have the connection not Burgess and Luffy. Black Beard is suppose to be the end game right? It was him who brought Ace to the Gallows not Burgess. Luffy is a captain and so is Black Beard. Burgess is subordinate, why does it have to be Luffy climbing the ladder to beat someone? Burgess 2 years ago did not seem all that powerful, so why now does he have to become some end boss for Luffy when he hasn't earned that status? Working for a Yonkou it does not make you invincible. I think a lot of people are looking at Luffy like he still has to grow(and yes he does). Why not look at it the other way and think of him has high level character already? We think Black Beard is powerful because he is Yonkou status. Who is powerful enough to defeat Luffy? So Far Luffy is taking names and kicking ass since the New World. I have yet to see anyone challenge Luffy (and Zoro) yet. Right now Luffy is undefeated in the New World. I think sending Black Beard a message by defeating one of his Subordiantes is just has affective if not more. I think the question should be is Burgess strong enough the face the Captain of the Straw Hat crew?
True. Luffy joined the tournament for the sole purpose of winning the fruit, which means, he's going to have to beat everyone that stands in his way...and that includes Burgess.Now regarding Doflamingo, since Law called chopper and he wants them to go pick up CC. Zoro will probably have a higher chance of facing Doflamingo, since he's heading for sunny with wicca. Which means, he might end up helping Nami and end up going with them to green bit.I know a lot of guys here will say that Zoro's not ready to face DD yet, but the fact is, we haven't seen Zoro go all out yet and we have no idea how strong he is now. Same goes for Luffy.
Old 2013-08-30, 12:38   Link #53
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0 View Post
One Piece isn’t the perfect example for a tactical fighting system (that being HxH in my eyes) but until now all attacks seemed understandable. If Luffy, who trained for two years to gain the strength to become Pirate King while bearing the loss of his brother, is being given the key to achieve his goals by Rayleigh would waste his time to train “cool looking” moves I’d be a little bit disappointed.
And yet, placing an afro on someone's head - making them look cooler - instantly powers up anyone...

Don't stress the details too much. Luffy did not train to create "cool looking" moves, rather Oda draws his moves to be "cool looking".
Old 2013-08-30, 13:33   Link #54
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Bellamy is just standing there.... so it's Cavendish vs Bartolomeo vs Lucy vs Bellamy vs Burges
Old 2013-08-30, 14:21   Link #55
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Once again, Garp blows my mind. He actually trained to bring down Chinjao by punching mountains until they turned to dust?! WTF?!

Good chapter.
Old 2013-08-30, 15:50   Link #56
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Wow, the pointy-head Don looks hilarious! I also love that look on his face when both Garp and Luffy landed their blows on his head in the past and present, respectively. So yeah, the C-block's now wrapped up! Now is Rebecca the Fighting Lion's time to shine!

RICHIE! RICHIE! RICHIE!

Old 2013-08-30, 17:06   Link #57
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
You just made Burgess sound like he was way stronger than an admiral and Garp as a weakling,since he pulverized 8 mountains to prepare for his clash against Donchinjao's head. The Donchinjao that Luffy defeated, who you think is to weak to face Burgess.

I think people also need to keep in mind that Luffy beat a dude who's most likely past his prime. That also applies to some of the other legends we've seen in the series so far (Whitebeard, Rayleigh, etc.). While the fact that Luffy beat the Don is impressive in itself, he may have had a lot more trouble against the veteran's younger self.....

And now my response to my old friend Gray:

Quote:
Connections
Why not we have Admiral on the scene in mere couple of days after Straw-hat's arrival to the New World.
Context, man. Remember that the main reason Fujitora is at Dressrosa was because of the news of Luffy's alliance with a (now former) warlord. Now, while it may be true that the purpose of said alliance is to topple an emperor, the marines have no evidence of that yet, nor has Law's plan progressed far enough to attract Kaidou's attention. Nor does it also prove that Luffy (by himself) is capable of thrashing an emperor and his/her strongest underlings at this point in time. Basically, I think you're being a bit premature in predicting that Burgess will meet his downfall this arc.

Quote:
Its luffy and Black Beard that have the connection not Burgess and Luffy. Black Beard is suppose to be the end game right?

Blackbeard and his crew, yes. Remember, it wasn't just Teach himself, but his WHOLE crew who had tons of build up since as far back as the Drum storyline. Don't you think that taking out one of Blackbeard's men at this relatively early stage of Luffy and co.'s NW adventure would sort of ruin all of that mystique and build-up they had over all these years (ESPECIALLY now that Teach is a Yonkou)? I mean, it's sorta clear at this point that these guys are meant to be like the evil bizarro versions of the Straw-Hats, so it would be anti-climactic as hell for any one of them to be taken out before a proper, final showdown between both crews takes place closer to the series' end, don't you think?

Quote:
It was him who brought Ace to the Gallows not Burgess. Luffy is a captain and so is Black Beard. Burgess is subordinate, why does it have to be Luffy climbing the ladder to beat someone? Burgess 2 years ago did not seem all that powerful, so why now does he have to become some end boss for Luffy when he hasn't earned that status?
See my above response to your previous paragraph, basically. I can only speak for myself here, but to me it would make much more thematic sense if the Straw-Hats faced Blackbeard's crew near the series' end, if not the final arc. And my point was that Burgess wouldn't be an end boss for Luffy, but for a different Straw-Hat. Like I said before, it's the captains who deserve dibs on each other, not a captain against the subordinate.

Quote:
Right now Luffy is undefeated in the New World. I think sending Black Beard a message by defeating one of his Subordiantes is just has affective if not more. I think the question should be is Burgess strong enough the face the Captain of the Straw Hat crew?

Another thing, Luffy doesn't really have a reason to take down Burgess, anyway. As you even said yourself, it was Teach who defeated Ace and had him sent to the slammer. Luffy knows this. He has no personal grudge against Burgess, so why bother picking a fight with him? Aside from his connection to Teach, Luffy has no other reason to give a rat's ass about Burgess. Now if he revealed that he's after the fire fruit, that might be a somewhat different story. But that still doesn't mean that Burgess has to be taken out this arc. Like I said before, a short scuffle would be just as effective a message for Teach then a fully blown-out deathmatch.....
Old 2013-08-30, 17:26   Link #58
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsobon View Post
Bearing in mind the fact that Luffy was always going to win C block, did Chinjao push him hard enough during their duel to be worthy of the hype surrounding his character? Or was the hype unjustified in the end? It'll be interesting to know people's thoughts on this.
Chinjao was overhyped. Oda has a tendency of doing this to make victories seem more significant. But the fact of the matter is that Luffy wasn't pushed anywhere near his full capacity. In the end, Chinjao wasn't anything to write home about. Back in his prime, he seemed to be a force to be reckoned with, but it's clear he's lost a lot of strength since then.

Quote:
Connections
We think Black Beard is powerful because he is Yonkou status. Who is powerful enough to defeat Luffy? So Far Luffy is taking names and kicking ass since the New World. I have yet to see anyone challenge Luffy (and Zoro) yet. Right now Luffy is undefeated in the New World. I think sending Black Beard a message by defeating one of his Subordiantes is just has affective if not more. I think the question should be is Burgess strong enough the face the Captain of the Straw Hat crew?
Luffy hasn't faced any of the big names yet, which is why he appears to be very dominant for the time being. If anything, I anticipate this is the arc where he'll be challenged for real. It's questionable if Luffy can even beat Doflamingo by himself, seeing as how the sinister warlord is dominating Law with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
True. Luffy joined the tournament for the sole purpose of winning the fruit, which means, he's going to have to beat everyone that stands in his way...and that includes Burgess.
You make it sound like the tournament is going to go perfectly smooth. As mentioned before, there's a good likelihood something will interrupt the competition.
Old 2013-08-30, 18:58   Link #59
ri0

Quote:
If they DO fight, I see it more likely that it gets interrupted before we get any decisive evidence of either combatant's full power. Then after the arc is over, Burgess can report to Teach about how much Luffy has grown over the past two years, which will attract Blackbeard's attention to the Straw-Hats WITHOUT the need to destroy any of his crew or turf.
That's the way I see it too. Blackbeard is most certainly aware of the Mugiwaras arrival in the New World after the alliance with Law was proclaimed in the newspaper and is just waiting for them to go wild again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960
Luffy is definitely high level. Although he wasn't challenged too much in the NW, just to defeat those guys he took out, you have to be a force of some sort.
We can't forget the fact that this guy trained two years bearing the loss of Ace in mind. The first mate of the Roger Pirates deemed his training sufficient after 1,5 years and commented that he also got even stronger when he saw him in action.
Luffy still lacks actual battle experience, especially against Logia and tricky Paramecia, otherwise he has become a real powerhouse.
Hopefully we'll get to see how much he has grown against an opponent who really pushes him, though I doubt him engaging Burgess, as long as it isn't Burgess who wants to try Luffy. Oh, how sweet it would be, if Burgess teased Luffy with nasty comment about Ace and just gets One Hit KOed like Bellamy

@james: The afto comparison is a little bit off
But you're right, I shouldn't read too much into such minor details, but I really like the plain CoA imbued Gear moves. The addition of some fancy fire or lightning just seems a little bit too dull for Oda's ingeniousness.
Old 2013-08-30, 19:20   Link #60
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You make it sound like the tournament is going to go perfectly smooth. As mentioned before, there's a good likelihood something will interrupt the competition.
We're already waiting for someone to replace the tournament floor (it'll probably be Toguro in a quick cameo )
Closed Thread