AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 10 19.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 38.46%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 34.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 7.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-04, 18:01   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 14 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Shin Sekai Yori, Episode 14.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2013-01-04, 18:10   Link #2
kuromitsu

Basically, kitties.

Spoiler for ep 14:

Also, Satoru, I can't bear to look at you. Please get a muffler, or at least an undershirt....

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Spoiler for ep 14:
Old 2013-01-04, 18:40   Link #3
Rakshasa

Except what we know today seems to indicate that Telomeres are just half the story, or less...
Old 2013-01-04, 22:09   Link #4
Key Board
Carbon

unless that Shogun Helmet means something else..

it seems our old friend is promoted
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2013-01-05, 02:28   Link #5
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

no wonder grandma looks so young
Old 2013-01-05, 02:59   Link #6
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

So we finally get a (complete) timeline for the series:
Spoiler for age and timeline:

Last edited by LuxorMG; 2013-01-05 at 04:27.
Old 2013-01-05, 04:35   Link #7
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

The revelations in this episode were pleasantly surprising. Tomiko-san can't be the only one who has learned to successfully manipulate her telomeres. After all, she freely admitted that it didn't require an especial amount of talent. I rather liked the insinuation that Saki will follow in her footsteps in this regard. Who knew that ceramics was so useful?

Also, I loved how the three nekodamashi were just hanging out like overgrown house cats (which admittedly they probably started out as)

All in all, I would say this was a satisfying episode. Was it spectacular? Unfortunately, no, not for me at least. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll get to feel the bated breath enthusiasm I felt at the beginning of the series again. I suspect an adjustment of my expectations is in order.
Old 2013-01-05, 07:05   Link #8
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
Except what we know today seems to indicate that Telomeres are just half the story, or less...
Well at least they actually based it on something more advanced. I never expected the Hayflick phenomenon to ever crop up in anime as part of a superpower.
Old 2013-01-05, 10:05   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I had noticed something odd in Tomiko's speech in episode 12: she said no fiend had appeared in over 80 years, which meant her episode with K had happened even before that and that she was older than she appeared. Even so, I didn't suspect she was that old. That was quite a shocking revelation. She sure looks good for a 267 year old.

The reveal that group 1 was part of an experiment initiated by Tomiko in order to create the leaders of tomorrow was also interesting. So far, it's a partial failure. They lost three out of five members, one of which was the most promising of the group. Only Saki and Satoru remain. Tomiko's hopes rest on Saki's shoulders now. Not sure what kind of role Satoru will play.
Old 2013-01-05, 10:26   Link #10
momonae

Tomiko said at the time of K's incident akki hadn't appeared for more than 80 years before it.
By the way, the cow girl's incident was 20 years ago, that is when Tomiko was 247 years old.
Old 2013-01-05, 11:22   Link #11
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

We finally have an explanation for why the timeline seemed so weird in Tomiko's first infodump: She's way older than she looks. Her comment about fixing broken vases make me wonder if Saki's been groomed for Tomiko's position from the beginning. That only surprises me because I had kind of assumed that Shun had been the first choice.

Best moment was the board's reaction when Tomiko asked to use their back room. Saki later figures out why they seemed so reluctant: The cats sitting so tamely as she sipped tea were probably meant to dispose of her, pending the outcome of the inquiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
it seems our old friend is promoted
Well, I imagine that single-handedly leading a small band of survivors to strike back at and eradicate the entire Ground Spider colony will get you noticed. Some details may have been omitted in the official report.
Old 2013-01-05, 11:41   Link #12
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The reveal that group 1 was part of an experiment initiated by Tomiko in order to create the leaders of tomorrow was also interesting. So far, it's a partial failure. They lost three out of five members, one of which was the most promising of the group. Only Saki and Satoru remain. Tomiko's hopes rest on Saki's shoulders now. Not sure what kind of role Satoru will play.
Can't make omelett without breaking a few eggs.
Old 2013-01-05, 12:21   Link #13
Dark Wing

Looks like squealer is going to be back for the next episode and I don't know what it is but that little rat just look more untrustworthy every time I see him for some reason.

Turns out Tomiko is pretty much immortal and if the hit Tomiko gave Saki is any to go buy she may unlock the secret herself one day. However what makes this whole thing odd why is shes seeking a new replacement if she can keep on living forever?

Also when Saki was talking with Tomiko she brought up a good point. Why would it matter that Maria and Mamoru ran away if they're most likely never want to come back anyway? What dose she know that Saki doesn't?
Old 2013-01-05, 13:46   Link #14
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Looks like squealer is going to be back for the next episode and I don't know what it is but that little rat just look more untrustworthy every time I see him for some reason.
The rat was always a pragmatic rat, considering he was willing to give away the gods' position in order to save his own life.

Quote:
Turns out Tomiko is pretty much immortal and if the hit Tomiko gave Saki is any to go buy she may unlock the secret herself one day. However what makes this whole thing odd why is shes seeking a new replacement if she can keep on living forever?
This is assuming the telomeres grant immortality, rather than just very extended life. She can die of quite a few other things that wear down.

Quote:
Also when Saki was talking with Tomiko she brought up a good point. Why would it matter that Maria and Mamoru ran away if they're most likely never want to come back anyway? What dose she know that Saki doesn't?
She mentioned they were like 核兵器, that is to say nuclear weapons. That's reason enough.
Old 2013-01-05, 14:02   Link #15
ookamigirl

Saki came back home.
That Educational Committee jumped her immediately.
Lots of dialogue this time.
This anime is getting more and more confusing.
I don't get the point of all that.
Pursuing kids, putting pressure on them, even killing them is just over the top.
Their society is truly a twisted one, based on secrets and violence under cover of peace.
Tomiko made some nice explanations. That made up for the first part of the episode.
She seems like a good person. Guess time makes a difference to people's personalities.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2013-01-05, 14:40   Link #16
Entravity

Win. I missed Shin Sekai Yori. Telomere eh? Didn't expect her to be like 200+ years old. Not a bad scientific explanation either.
Old 2013-01-05, 14:55   Link #17
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
While this episode did a nice job of pulling back the curtain, and further revealing Saki's world (this time focusing on the Education Committee, which definitely seems like one of the most unsavory elements of it), what I find most interesting is all the questions that this episode raised.

Did Saki's parents know of the danger that their daughter was in here? Did they know that Tomiko was going to save Saki if needbe? Or did Saki's father suspect that she was going to be executed, and he went along with that anyway? Saki's parents did seem very concerned in this episode, so I think they knew the grave trouble that Saki was in. I'd like to think that they also knew what Tomiko was planning to do, but I'm not so sure...

Tomiko called the Education Committee's decision to dispose of Mamoru "rash and unwise". This is about the only time that the remarkably pleasant Tomiko has struck me as a bit angry. And one of the Education Committee members literally started shaking (you see this with her eyes) after being confronted by Tomiko. The Education Committee honestly made me think of political criminals getting caught red-handed by a higher-up politician that they fear and respect.

Taking all of the above into consideration, I wonder if this entire situation was a carefully concocted trap designed to ensnare Saki, and lead her into taking actions that the Education Committee could use as pretext for having Saki disposed of. In other words, Mamoru wasn't the true target - Saki was. They hoped to make Saki break more rules by throwing Mamoru's life in danger. And then they'd use that rule-breaking as justification for executing Saki.

My suspicion is that the Education Committee is strongly against the idea of the reins of power shifting from Tomiko to Saki, and so they wanted to eliminate Saki while they had the chance. Tomiko they fear and respect because of her age, experience, seniority, and wisdom. But Saki is likely just an incorrigible rule-breaker in the eyes of the Education Committee.

Tomiko was likely kept assiduously in the dark on the Education Committee's scheme here, but Tomiko managed to undo it anyway. When Tomiko confronted the Education Committee in this episode, I could sense a touch of shame in the words and actions of the Education Committee. In other words, that they were fearful of what Tomiko might do or say upon figuring out their scheme to eliminate Saki.

Some other notes:

1) The two Education Committee members that questioned Saki were both female. Tomiko is female. Saki is female. This begins to paint a possible picture. Is this society an effectively female-ran one?

2) I liked how Tomiko raised the nuclear weapons comparison. But I think that's more for the audience's benefit than it is for Saki's. By Tomiko raising the nuclear weapons comparison, I think this is the narrative's way of reinforcing this world's society, and explaining the rationale behind it. Tomiko clearly explains how the Cantus-using humans of this era are potentially more devastating than even nuclear weapons. Each human in this world is hence akin to a living, walking nuclear weapon, at least when it comes to that human's potential for destruction. Given that, is it any wonder that this society is as strict and severe as it is? That doesn't make the morality of the situation any more palatable, of course, but the sheer pragmatic concerns here are truly overwhelming.

3) I liked how Saki showed hesitancy in essentially ratting out Mamoru.
Old 2013-01-05, 15:43   Link #18
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
2) I liked how Tomiko raised the nuclear weapons comparison. But I think that's more for the audience's benefit than it is for Saki's. By Tomiko raising the nuclear weapons comparison, I think this is the narrative's way of reinforcing this world's society, and explaining the rationale behind it. Tomiko clearly explains how the Cantus-using humans of this era are potentially more devastating than even nuclear weapons. Each human in this world is hence akin to a living, walking nuclear weapon, at least when it comes to that human's potential for destruction. Given that, is it any wonder that this society is as strict and severe as it is? That doesn't make the morality of the situation any more palatable, of course, but the sheer pragmatic concerns here are truly overwhelming.
Pretty much what I thought it was for too (our benefit). Also recall that super strong cantus guy earlier who was rumoured to have enough power to split the Earth in half. Assuming it's not just poetic language or hyperbole, it really shows why they're so eager to clamp down on this.

Still, I'm wondering why they didn't try a method to get rid of Cantus altogether.
Old 2013-01-05, 16:01   Link #19
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Still, I'm wondering why they didn't try a method to get rid of Cantus altogether.
Maybe because non-cantus users got totally eradicated, so suppressing your own powers (though hypnotism and such) potentially can lead to an even greater danger. They may have observed and documented the phenomenon, but there's no indication they have even the remotest idea how exactly it works or why it started popping up when it did; therefore it's no different then how we observe various phenomenon in nature but can go only so far with the explanation.

Another reason may be simply because them not being able to use their cantus is similar to us not being able to use our hands; the thought is just to paralyzing to even consider.
Old 2013-01-05, 17:12   Link #20
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
She mentioned they were like 核兵器, that is to say nuclear weapons. That's reason enough.
I still don't see what danger Maria and Mamoru would pose to the village or its inhabitants since they'll be nowhere near them. They could probably be able to live out the rest of their lives in peace just the two of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
3) I liked how Saki showed hesitancy in essentially ratting out Mamoru.
Yea I loved how she called the Board of Education out on their bullshit.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2013-01-05 at 17:23.
Closed Thread