AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-17, 08:41   Link #17161
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If the other Arab states aren't feeding Palestine and let fend for themselves, no doubt that place would end up having good trade relationship with Israel.

See for now, if they are not trading prisoners, they are swapping lead and explosives - even without a free trade agreement in place!
What?

Was that supposed to be ironic or cynical?
Old 2011-10-17, 08:53   Link #17162
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
What?

Was that supposed to be ironic or cynical?
Sarcasm.

Keep in mind the food and necessities aren't exactly fed by those Arab states, but rather by smugglers, saints and the Red Crescent. The Arab states fed more weapons than food to Palestine.

And usually the humanitarian aid isn't sent altruistically, but rather as a spite and disregard for the existence of Israel, or to buy gratitude to attempt to destabilise Israel.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-10-17, 08:57   Link #17163
Zakoo

No no, of course they aren't helping them freely, it would be well known if country helped each other without a back thoughts.

I meant the last part, I highly doubt Israel and Palestine will coexist each other as long as Hamas and some extremist israel people have the power.
Old 2011-10-17, 09:06   Link #17164
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
No no, of course they aren't helping them freely, it would be well known if country helped each other without a back thoughts.
US did that to Afghanistan, despite it being a Middle Eastern state without oil.

Quote:
I meant the last part, I highly doubt Israel and Palestine will coexist each other as long as Hamas and some extremist israel people have the power.
The Israeli right-wingers, from what I observe, tend to be those that have participated in the YKW or subsequent conflicts, like the Munich Revenge or Entebbe.

It all stems from the hatred the Muslims worldwide have for the Jews, and using the Quran to bolster their reasoning for hating them. Sure it is pathetic, lame and petty, but we can't do much irregardless.

Maybe the ultimate solution lies in 2030 when oil runs out and the entire Middle East descends into depravity. Let them kill each other, call their "Muslim Brothers to fight a jihad", leaving only the more sensible (and lucky) Muslims and Jews alive to truce over a peace treaty.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-10-17, 09:26   Link #17165
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
And usually the humanitarian aid isn't sent altruistically, but rather as a spite and disregard for the existence of Israel, or to buy gratitude to attempt to destabilise Israel.
You are thinking of Iran, right ?
Old 2011-10-17, 09:35   Link #17166
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Oh god. This is terrible.

Spoiler for WARNING! Very disturbing, gruesome images!:
Here is some background story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15331773

This should be a soul searching moment for every Chinese: what is causing the apathy in the society, why are lives not valued more? Too many shocking incidents have happened, but too little change made.

@SaintessHeart:

Going on another over sweeping racial bashing again?
Old 2011-10-17, 11:34   Link #17167
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Here is some background story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15331773

This should be a soul searching moment for every Chinese: what is causing the apathy in the society, why are lives not valued more? Too many shocking incidents have happened, but too little change made.
Quote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_550854.html

Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax was stabbed several times in the chest while saving a woman from a knife-wielding attacker. Then he bled to death while dozens of people walked by -- one stopping to snap a picture of the dying man with his cameraphone before leaving the scene.
Tale-Yax, 31, a homeless Guatemalan immigrant, collapsed at 144th Street and 88th Road in Jamaica, Queens, while in pursuit of the woman's attacker around 5:40 a.m. on April 18. He was pronounced dead by medical workers who responded to a 911 call around 7:20 a.m. But surveillance video obtained the New York Post, which the New York Times got the NYPD to confirm is genuine, shows that plenty of people saw Tale-Yax lying there in his death throes and did nothing.
The Chinese will do as much soul searching as Americans.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2011-10-17 at 12:02.
Old 2011-10-17, 11:38   Link #17168
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
To be fair, things like this happen in many other places than China. But it is probably a bit worse there due to those few cases in China where Good Samaritans were punished for their kindness.

This should be a soul searching moment for everyone regardless of nationality, in my opinion.
Old 2011-10-17, 12:30   Link #17169
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

It's just down-to-earth bystander effect, something which isn't limited to any country or culture. It might be compounded with a lack of a "good Samaritan law" in China though.
Old 2011-10-17, 12:32   Link #17170
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Which mean none.
Old 2011-10-17, 12:35   Link #17171
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
It's just down-to-earth bystander effect, something which isn't limited to any country or culture. It might be compounded with a lack of a "good Samaritan law" in China though.
and what good samaritan laws does the US have?

a few yrs ago a woman die on the floor of a NY Hospital waiting room, a man collapse on the street due to a heart attack. And no one did anything to help. If the US have good Samaritan laws then they are not working.
Old 2011-10-17, 12:36   Link #17172
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I know you are being cynical, and chances are that you might be right. However, like the old story goes: no matter what kind of disaster is released into the world, as long as there is hope, then not everything is lost. As long as there are people who read the story and felt indignant, who refuse to step in those 18 people's footsteps in a similar situation but do the right thing, then there is still hope.

That's probably the whole point: no amount of cursing of those who walked by will help the little girl, but it helps to ask ourselves:"what will I do in such a situation?"
Old 2011-10-17, 12:46   Link #17173
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I know you are being cynical, and chances are that you might be right. However, like the old story goes: no matter what kind of disaster is released into the world, as long as there is hope, then not everything is lost. As long as there are people who read the story and felt indignant, who refuse to step in those 18 people's footsteps in a similar situation but do the right thing, then there is still hope.

That's probably the whole point: no amount of cursing of those who walked by will help the little girl, but it helps to ask ourselves:"what will I do in such a situation?"
"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it."
- Raistlin Majere
Old 2011-10-17, 14:01   Link #17174
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

"Look around for a bit to see if someone is handling it, and if not, call the authorities"?

It's not heroic, but it's not nothing, either.
Old 2011-10-17, 15:24   Link #17175
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Sarcasm.

Keep in mind the food and necessities aren't exactly fed by those Arab states, but rather by smugglers, saints and the Red Crescent. The Arab states fed more weapons than food to Palestine.
I know I'm late for the party, but still.

you DO know that there is an entire U.N body called UNRWA, who's sole purpose is to provide aid and resources to the Palestinians... right ?
and that this body is funded almost exclusively by western states.
Old 2011-10-17, 15:39   Link #17176
Zakoo

From donation yeah.

We all know how much little donations they have ... hell, 500 millions maybe? Between health, food, education, construction, it's not enough and thus, they do everything at the same time with a slow pace.

Of course still better than nothing, but calling it "serious help" is asking to get flamed.
Old 2011-10-17, 15:45   Link #17177
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

About twice that, and they employ local Palestinians. They too have problems with Hamas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNRWA
Old 2011-10-17, 15:46   Link #17178
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
From donation yeah.

We all know how much little donations they have ... hell, 500 millions maybe? Between health, food, education, construction, it's not enough and thus, they do everything at the same time with a slow pace.

Of course still better than nothing, but calling it "serious help" is asking to get flamed.
UNRWA provides food, education, and employment (whenever possible) to a population of over 5 million people.

and its funding (over a billion $ yearly) is from COUNTRIES, not individual donations.
Old 2011-10-17, 16:03   Link #17179
Zakoo

Haha, I did say donations but never I said from people, of course countries. The number I have on my eyes are telling me 600M, more than half from EU, 4% from Arabic country and the rest from UE.

For a population of 4.5M ... is that really enough? Well whatever. Still better than nothing as I said.

rolf it's bothersome that EU and UE are intertwined between english and my native language, I begin to mess up, no good.
Old 2011-10-17, 16:07   Link #17180
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Haha, I did say donations but never I said from people, of course countries. The number I have on my eyes are telling me 600M, more than half from EU, 4% from Arabic country and the rest from UE.

For a population of 4.5M ... is that really enough? Well whatever. Still better than nothing as I said.

rolf it's bothersome that EU and UE are intertwined between english and my native language, I begin to mess up, no good.
is that SUPPOSE to be enough ?
are they suppose to live entirely off the charity of others ?

get a job.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international