AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 27 25.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 28.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 17.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 13.08%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 9.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.93%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.93%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-12-22, 06:10   Link #141
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiks View Post
Haha, yeah, that's true. I tend to give more credit to Al than I should, but it seemed like he thought about not blowing the kids up when he started getting a "psychic" link with them... He sorta realized they were alive too, like him, in the same situation. Hal's points were... not very endearing. His major arguments were that there's no point in trying to save the kids because they'd never have normal lives and that they didn't want to be saved.
But here's the point; it was Al's idea to kill the kids. Why did it take him this long to realize that a plan that will kill the kids will cause kids to die? Even Sumeragi asked if he was sure about killing these kids, and he said yes.

Neither CB nor VEDA forced this mission on him; Al had asked to do this by his own initiative. And he also know full well that those missiles his Gundam is packing aren't going to spare children. He is either so stupid that he doesn't realize blowing up the building will kill children, or was terribly indecisive and wasn't prepared to follow through with what he WANTED.

If Al really wanted to save those children, he should have planned it out before even getting into his Gundam. As it is, he was just panicking because he came to this mission half-baked. If Al was as nice as he think he was, he would have never approved of the entire mission plan.
Old 2007-12-22, 10:59   Link #142
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
But here's the point; it was Al's idea to kill the kids. Why did it take him this long to realize that a plan that will kill the kids will cause kids to die? Even Sumeragi asked if he was sure about killing these kids, and he said yes.

Neither CB nor VEDA forced this mission on him; Al had asked to do this by his own initiative. And he also know full well that those missiles his Gundam is packing aren't going to spare children. He is either so stupid that he doesn't realize blowing up the building will kill children, or was terribly indecisive and wasn't prepared to follow through with what he WANTED.

If Al really wanted to save those children, he should have planned it out before even getting into his Gundam. As it is, he was just panicking because he came to this mission half-baked. If Al was as nice as he think he was, he would have never approved of the entire mission plan.

This is a case of out of sight (or hearing) out of mind. It's easy to pull the trigger when you don't see or hear the people you're trying to blow up. It's another thing to essentially hear each and every one blaring in your mind. Al initially had the guts to do it, just like he's killed for CB before. When he heard the kids through the link, he got cold feet. Thats when Hal showed up to knock some psychotic sense into him.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 20:39   Link #143
seiks

... You can call Al a coward or a moron, but only Hal gets the psycho award.

Honestly, better lacking the guts to carry through with murder than willing to embrace your inner animal.
seiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 21:06   Link #144
Mangaka-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
If Al was as nice as he think he was, he would have never approved of the entire mission plan.
I think that's what the writers for the show are trying to get across, that people are indecisive. What Hal said about Al using his kindness as a mask I think is sort of true. It's arguable if Al was nice before he got experimented on or if his current gentle personality evolved as a reaction to his past is hard to say, since we don't really know what he was like before being in the super soldier project. I think Al did want to face his past but at the crucial moment he started to waver. To me that makes him feel very human. Adding in an alter ego complicates things, but somehow I can’t see Hal and Al as two different people, but rather as two ways to deal with a situation.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 01:02   Link #145
erlangshen

Hi guys! Newbie, thought I give my two cents about ur interesting conversation here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Allelujah = Human experiment
Setsuna = Child soldier
Lockon = War orphan
Tieria = CYBORG?
It's very interesting about the true nature of Tieria huh? He's also the only with a scene where he's conversing with Veda......without words!
Of course my question would be, why would anyone need to converse with Veda inside a giant disco ball in the frist place. Can't CB crew text message him/her/it via a console in Ptolemaios??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless View Post
if you don't have more thrusters, that is.

As long as you add more thrusters with the more weight added, that won't be a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
This is wrong. It has nothing to do with weight, because weight has nothing to do with movement. The difficulty in changing one's velocity whether to get it moving or to start it is dependent on overcoming an objects inertia, and inertia is dependent on MASS. Adding more mass (commonly called weight) directly affects how much energy required to get an object moving, regardless of whether in space or in gravity. Hence, if a propulsion is a constant an object's speed/acceleration becomes dependent on its mass.

Weight is measurement of directional force; all it is saying is that an object already has a constant force acting on it, requiring an additional amount of force to move the object in conjunction with simply moving the mass. The only problem is that most people consider weight to be the norm and consider zero-g as a subtraction mathmatic in determining force requirements, rather than adding in compensation for gravity.

All of which is largely irrelevant, because the Avalanche Exia propulsion is GN, not conventional rocket. As long as the output can be increased, the presence/lack of rockets is irrelevant. It's not like any of the gundams have thrusters at the moment, after all.
well, I think a lot of people would agree when I say "you should stop applying logic and real physics to sci-fi shows". It won't add up. If you're more concern about how a big bulk could move so fast, I have a few more that will drive you up to the wall:
1. Like mentioned in Naoki Urasawa's 20th century boys, how in the world does a gigantic mass of metal could support itself in 2 legs mode?
2. Where's the fuel for GN drives? No fuel? only solar power? See any solar panel in the surface of the Gundams? no? the spheres are solar panels? Look up in google as in how much solar panel is required to power a city. That is why it is not applicable as the main source of power in real life. What's that? you say in the future they invent some sort of "magical" element where they could gather solar panel more efficiently? This is doubtful because nations on earth have to build gigantic orbital solar harvesting stations. Next, by the same logic, I could apply to the previous mentioned post about where inertia, where in the futre they invent elements that will nulify intertia thus bulk mass have no effect. This kinda goes on and on without reaching any conclusion because we're discussing something fiction in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
A few questions about this episode:

- Why is Marina so retarded to ask for the oath of the UN diplomat? She can't be dumb enough to think a diplomat of all people would be above lying for the interests of either himself or his country or even the UN, can she?

- Why exactly creating super soldiers is treated by the CBs as "inciing a war" but manifacturing tanks, missiles, mobile suits is totally fine? Gotta say their definition for inciting a war is quite loose.
My tow favorite question

for the first one, I think the show is not only tryng to convey how naive Marina is, but also reminds viewer what a religious-fanatic Azadistan is. The oath itself is about as effective as the oath of truth in court of justice. You can swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, but witnesses that took the oath often lies to protect themselves and still for the foreseeable future people are ask to take the oath before taking the stand. t's more of a religious factor than for efficiency.

for the second question, the same reason building weapon of mass destruction can incite Bush to go to unnecessary war but left nations that produced weapons and tanks alone. Having weapons of that scale invokes fear that will lead to unnecessary confrontation. This question also reminds me of an old episode of the Simpson where people of earth actually achieve world peace only to have aliens invade earth with people having no ability to defend themselves

Also I think CB's quest for eradicating war doesn't include eradication of the 3 major factions at all. What they want is to stop war. My prediction is that the series will end with the destruction of CB with their mission "complete" in a way that not all wars eradicated but at least a smoother way is paved by their actions. That's what I think
erlangshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 01:06   Link #146
erlangshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicX_Zero View Post
Good for you, but there are some people out there who could care less about the universe and could still love a series. After all when everything is said and done, it all boils down to opinion. =)
I agree it boils down to our own opinion.

For me Gundam 00:

The good:
-intriguing and complex storyline involving events based on real life
-great mecha design for the Gundams

The bad:
-too much unnecessary drama (like the Saji plot< I can understand for her sister's plot, but him/ it's like he's tehre only and only as a comic relief)
-worst mecha design for other MS besides Gundam. The only decent one was Graham's custom Flag. The others are horrible IMHO.
erlangshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 01:18   Link #147
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlangshen View Post
2. Where's the fuel for GN drives? No fuel? only solar power? See any solar panel in the surface of the Gundams? no? the spheres are solar panels? Look up in google as in how much solar panel is required to power a city. That is why it is not applicable as the main source of power in real life.
The misconception by a lot of people regarding the "Solar Power" for the Gundams in 00 is that they're truly powered by sunlight. As has been pointed out in various sources, the "Solar Furnace" used by the Gundams is just a name to refer to the GN Drive system, which uses GN Particle tech, and is no way related to solar panels or sunlight.

The confusion stems from the fact that there are two definitions of Solar Energy in 00, the one from the Orbital Elevators - which is the tech most familiar to us today as 'Solar Energy', and the GN technology used by the Gundams, which are similar only in name, not in principle. Which is why comparing GN Drives to Solar panels is innapropriate when they're not even related.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 18:57   Link #148
JediNight
キズランダム

Something I noticed while re-watching Ep11: At 19:51 in the Conclave sub the "Emergency Box" writing is reversed. Apparently they took the graphic of the one from Felt's station and merely reversed it to use it on Christina's station, but forgot that also ends up mirroring the text
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 00:27   Link #149
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Was it Allelujah's idea to kill the kids? I think he was still unsure whether he could kill them, as what Hallelujah's sudden appearance implied. It was his plan to destroy the center where he came from, and unless Allelujah "didn't know" there were kids in there, he didn't really plan to kill the kids. I agree with Funkatron and Mangaka-chan, unless Allelujah actually had a way wherein he could block out all those kids screaming, he could pull the trigger wherein Hallelujah wouldn't appear and make him do even more sadistic things than necessary, and we have no idea if Allelujah was truly as gentle as he seems to believe that he is. True that the HRL scientist said that Hallelujah was borne out of the experiments that they made on Allelujah, but it doesn't mean that the Hallelujah personality couldn't be buried deep within Allelujah's psyche for that matter. Unless of course, it just appeared out of nowhere.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 17:36   Link #150
FireChick

I don't know if I should be saying this but I think Hallelujah (since episode 10) just reached a WHOLE NEW level of creepy. And to think I thought the anime creepy scale was from 1 to 10. I think Hallelujah just BROKE that scale.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 00:18   Link #151
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So I'm really really really really really late on giving this episode a look over, but a lot of stuff was happening here during the holidays and it was just impossible for me to really get a 00 episode done (especially since they need about twice as much time given to going over them as any other series I'm blogging right now). Anyway, Gundam 00 Episode 11 Summary & Thoughts are up, and I hope to have 12 done before the subs for 13 are out. 13 comes out today actually, so we'll have to see how it goes. I really do hope people have started to appreciate 00's style a little more inbetween the time I've been gone and now though. It should be clear by now that the series doesn't plan to be character arc driven like a visual novel adaptation, but plot driven. That's going to mean a bit of jumping around between situations, which I don't think the series does all that haphazardly, or to it's own disservice.

Okay then, I'll leave people to hopefully read the article even though they've probably discussed the episode several times over by now. Hope they enjoy and aren't too offended by the rant I added at the end again. Sometimes you gotta air your thoughts a little when you get a bit upset with certain things.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 02:59   Link #152
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
So I'm really really really really really late on giving this episode a look over, but a lot of stuff was happening here during the holidays and it was just impossible for me to really get a 00 episode done (especially since they need about twice as much time given to going over them as any other series I'm blogging right now). Anyway, Gundam 00 Episode 11 Summary & Thoughts are up, and I hope to have 12 done before the subs for 13 are out. 13 comes out today actually, so we'll have to see how it goes. I really do hope people have started to appreciate 00's style a little more inbetween the time I've been gone and now though. It should be clear by now that the series doesn't plan to be character arc driven like a visual novel adaptation, but plot driven. That's going to mean a bit of jumping around between situations, which I don't think the series does all that haphazardly, or to it's own disservice.

Okay then, I'll leave people to hopefully read the article even though they've probably discussed the episode several times over by now. Hope they enjoy and aren't too offended by the rant I added at the end again. Sometimes you gotta air your thoughts a little when you get a bit upset with certain things.
Nice article and lmao @ the children of the corn reference.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 18:16   Link #153
FireChick

I saw this episode when it came out subbed and...I was right to nickname Hallelujah "Mr. Creepy"! He creeps me out to no end! Specially since episode 10!

Spoiler for Hallelujah/Mr. Creepy:

I mean, LOOK AT THAT!! It's like he's saying "bow down to me, my minions!" No wonder I prefer Allelujah over him. I like Allelujah better. He's sweet. And he's so cute when he's little!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 19:40   Link #154
Wesley84

This episode was so bad, it's almost good compared to the mediocrity of the rest of the series.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote