AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 46 52.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 27.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 14.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-13, 19:52   Link #81
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Yukiatsu is becoming one of my favorite characters in this show. I think coming to terms with himself has lifted a big load off of him and that he won't act like he did before.

I hope we see more of bro Yukiatsu throughout the rest of the series.

On another note, those Pocky Rocky boxes were incredibly accurate. I've eaten the super thin kind in the white box various times.
Old 2011-05-13, 19:56   Link #82
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Episode 5

One of the best episodes so far.

Yukiatsu is pulling of a Kawashima Ami. Starting out as someone everyone hates then pulls off something crazy then becomes totally awesome.
Old 2011-05-13, 21:15   Link #83
ykf566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Also, proving Menma's presence isn't as easy as it sounds. Even if she can physically interact with the environment, common sense will work against her. She did a number of things in her family's household, but they assumed that someone else did it or that it was an accident. Either way, there's no way for the group to understand Menma without Jinta, physical presence or not.

The only way to prove that Menma exists would be if she could directly speak to them, but she can't. That leads to situations like Yukiatsu, who can lie and make assumptions on what Menma is saying, or Poppo, who apparently is bothered by the fact that he can't see or speak to Menma directly by himself.

She can interact with her environment or at the very least is an observer, so she would know things Jinta would not know.

Hold up a piece of paper in front of Jinta, write something and ask him to ask Menma.
Old 2011-05-13, 21:16   Link #84
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahfielxi View Post
maybe in anime. real siblings have a natural aversion to being attracted to each other. disgust would be miles ahead of a flustered reaction, and i'd tell her to get off my bed.
Bullshit, speak for yourself.
I can get a boner if my sister bounced on me on bed wearing nothing but one thin clothes.
Old 2011-05-13, 21:22   Link #85
Cal-Reflector

Naruko should have agreed to go out with Yukiatsu for the following reasons:

1 It would spur a reaction from Tsuruko and possibly Jinta. At the very least, this would help Yukiatsu realize that Tsuruko has been pining after him for years.

2 We would get to see Naruko transform from absorbing the influence of I'm-the-handsome-and-smart-and-athletic-prince-of-an-elite-school Yukiatsu. Who wouldn't want to see Naruko with glasses and... a ponytail?

3. Naruko's two Gal Friends would go ape-shit when they see Naruko's sparkly new BF.

4. They were there during each others darkest hour: Yukiatsu, when he was exposed as Manma, and when Naruko was about to be forced into sex with a stranger. Being there for each other at their low point--without recoiling away--is good for their relationship.

Even if only temporarily and as an experiment, Naruko dating Yukiatsu would help the two begin to move on from the trauma years ago. No one says they have to get married, but dating at their age is normal, and preferable to cross-dressing at night and hanging out with a bad crowd. Dating a friend you trust is a good place to start, and even though Yukiatsu is a certified hentai, Naruko could do much, much worse.

Edit: 5. We can entertain ourselves from 2chan and 4chan's reactions to this twist.
Old 2011-05-13, 23:11   Link #86
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Another great episode! I really don't have much to say that everyone else hasn't said. This episode definitely marked a shift in how Yukiatsu will be portrayed, and now they're starting to tackle other issues regarding Menma. Even with a shift in focus, though, you can still tell that Yukiatsu still has some development to go through.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 2011-05-14 at 02:33.
Old 2011-05-14, 01:00   Link #87
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Also, who had the real Menma pin between Tsuruko and Yukiatsu? I think the one Tsuruko pulled out was old and rusty while Yukiatsu's looked brand new, though that brings up the question of how and why Tsuruko had the pin.
Old 2011-05-14, 01:09   Link #88
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I assumed Tsuruko took that hairpin and conserved it since, while Yukiatsu simply bought a new one. It was mentioned that he used to buy a lot of women's accessories.

Besides, so far we've seen the story from 3 POVs, Jintan, Anaru and Yukiatsu. I'm convinced they'll also show us how things went that day from Tsuruko and Poppo's perspectives.
Old 2011-05-14, 02:10   Link #89
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Another very solid episode. 9/10

I've come to terms with the lack of emotional impact I've experienced these past two weeks since I realized had I marathoned this series, it would've been different. It's simply a byproduct of the week wait between each episode that it's hard for me to get fully engrossed, emotionally speaking, in each episode without something different to pull at my heart. There doesn't exist a show out there than can maintain that degree of emotional impact on a week in week out basis, and I should be fair to Ano Hana that I probably won't feel as emotional as episode 1 until it gets close to the end.

Overall though, I'm loving how well executed everything is and the characters continue to shine.
Old 2011-05-14, 02:21   Link #90
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I thought this episode was excellent. If the quality of the series keeps like this it will probably rampage to my top anime of 2011. I love how the relationships in this series are somewhat similar to the quirky romances in Honey and Clover.

It's been a long while since Tsuruko was pining for Yukiatsu - and he can't even see that yet. I'm glad he's moved on and has become a massive bro to Naruko. Somehow, I feel that Tsuruko's been trying to show how she's felt for a long time toward Yukiatsu, only for him to ignore that because of his obsession with Menma. It's somewhat parallel to Jinta's situation, where his concern with Menma and his past have prevented him from seeing Anjou's ten-year waiting for him.

I love this series.
Old 2011-05-14, 03:55   Link #91
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Even if only temporarily and as an experiment, Naruko dating Yukiatsu would help the two begin to move on from the trauma years ago. No one says they have to get married, but dating at their age is normal, and preferable to cross-dressing at night and hanging out with a bad crowd.
If there's one thing Hourou Musuko's taught me, it's that dating and cross-dressing aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 2011-05-14, 03:55   Link #92
be0wulf
it's friday

Send a message via MSN to be0wulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Also, who had the real Menma pin between Tsuruko and Yukiatsu? I think the one Tsuruko pulled out was old and rusty while Yukiatsu's looked brand new, though that brings up the question of how and why Tsuruko had the pin.
Tsuruko probably found the original, since she wishes Yukiatsu had given it to her rather than Menma.

Yukiatsu bought a new one in memory of Menma. Or maybe he puts it on when he turns into Manma, who knows?

http://www.chunlikickedme.tumblr.com
Old 2011-05-14, 05:30   Link #93
Forsaken_Infinity

That was so damn awesome. Yukiatsu's character development in one episode surpasses almost all character development I have ever come across in any medium. Just so damn awesome. That alone deserves a 10 out of ten. But everything else was perfect to boot on top of that!

I agree with the notion that Jinta never really was romantically into Menma. Or rather, it didn't matter and he never thought about it until as an afterthought following the incident. And I dare say the same was true for Menma. Their relationship was more like close friends. But both were pushed into a corner by the expectations and assumptions of the rest of their peers. Menma didn't show any sign that she was into Jinta romantically either. It was the rest of the bunch that rotated around the two and forced them into that awkward situation. And Menma didn't reject Yukiatsu for Jinta or anything, she was just dumbfounded then and there.

I seriously wish Naruko had gone out with Yukiatsu though.

This episode confirmed that Tsuruko does have romantic interest in Yukiatsu. It doesn't matter whichever way I guess but that does level the playing field than otherwise. As mature an act as she pulls, she is still just as stuck in the past and as unable to express herself as the rest of the bunch.

Thus far, the only one who seems to have completely moved on is Poppo but if that scene at the river is any hint, I guess there is drama to involve him too.

And thus, as of this episode, the one guy who has moved on the most is the one guy who was hated by the majority of the viewers up until last episode. Kudos to Yukiatsu, that was seriously awesome. Serious brofist although he doesn't exist

Heck, even his deviance had a much better basis than even I (because I usually give characters much more leeway) thought. It wasn't anything antagonistic whatsoever. He genuinely blamed himself for Menma's death, much like Jinta did. But I am sure there is more to what happened that day.

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2011-05-14 at 06:00.
Old 2011-05-14, 06:14   Link #94
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

A1 did it on purpose. Menma's SHAFT moment made me laugh when there shouldn't be laughter.

Otherwise, good episode overall.

Last edited by winhlp32; 2011-05-14 at 07:28.
Old 2011-05-14, 07:25   Link #95
darkmanure

Why would Naruko go out with a guy she don't like? That makes no sense at all and she clearly flat out rejected him.

Props to Yukiatsu and this is the only anime that reversed my feelings towards a certain character this quickly. I don't think he has fully recovered yet. He puts of a facade in front of people.
Old 2011-05-14, 09:09   Link #96
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
About the two friends: are they really that bad?

Saying they'd stop being friends wasn't nice, but I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously.
I think it's a fair warning of what could happen if Anaru doesn't snap out of her funk (as her friends probably see it).

While Anaru's two friends are more than a bit questionable (they were nasty to Jinta when he made his attempt to come back to school, and they strike me as a bit shady at times), I think that they have legitimate reason to be ticked off with Anaru.

From their perspective, Anaru has been spacing out on them for awhile now, and she's kind of just awkwardly sitting there while her two friends are having fun and chatting/joking around with each other enthusiastically. This wouldn't be such a big deal except Anaru refuses to even hint at why she's so obviously distracted by something else whenever she's with her friends. So there's a problem here, but Anaru's two friends can't do anything about it because she's constantly lost in thought and not really conversing with them anymore.

So it's pretty understandable to me why Anaru's friends are getting a bit exasperated with her right now.

Quote:
Anyway, I think the problem isn't that they're bad persons, but that Anaru's resemblance with them is pretty superficial. They don't really want the same things, so, yeah, that kind of incident was going to happen sooner or later. But they didn't mean any harm.
That's a lot of it too, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I never said otherwise. My problem with Menma crying every episode is that it lessens the emotional impact of those kind of scenes. If they keep throwing that in every episode, by the end of the anime, it won't do anything for me anymore. I've already grown fairly numb to it. The first time she cried, it hit me like a ton of bricks... when she did so in this episode, I didn't even give it any second thoughts. It's becoming a normal occurrence.
That's my fear as well.

I certainly don't expect every episode of a 10 episode or longer anime to have major emotional impact, but this does in fact seem to be what Okada is aiming for. By laying it on so thick right now, I fear that by the time we reach the end I'll be so numbed to all the crying that the more emotional climatic scenes will be somewhat lost on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Naruko should have agreed to go out with Yukiatsu for the following reasons:

1 It would spur a reaction from Tsuruko and possibly Jinta. At the very least, this would help Yukiatsu realize that Tsuruko has been pining after him for years.

2 We would get to see Naruko transform from absorbing the influence of I'm-the-handsome-and-smart-and-athletic-prince-of-an-elite-school Yukiatsu. Who wouldn't want to see Naruko with glasses and... a ponytail?

3. Naruko's two Gal Friends would go ape-shit when they see Naruko's sparkly new BF.

4. They were there during each others darkest hour: Yukiatsu, when he was exposed as Manma, and when Naruko was about to be forced into sex with a stranger. Being there for each other at their low point--without recoiling away--is good for their relationship.

Even if only temporarily and as an experiment, Naruko dating Yukiatsu would help the two begin to move on from the trauma years ago. No one says they have to get married, but dating at their age is normal, and preferable to cross-dressing at night and hanging out with a bad crowd. Dating a friend you trust is a good place to start, and even though Yukiatsu is a certified hentai, Naruko could do much, much worse.

Edit: 5. We can entertain ourselves from 2chan and 4chan's reactions to this twist.
That's a very good post. After reading it, I have to agree with you. It would have made for a very interesting turn of events, and it could have opened up many intriguing subplot routes.
Old 2011-05-14, 09:23   Link #97
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I'd like to say that after thinking about it...

Poppo must have some major issues too.

I mean he's introduced as this happy go lucky carefree guy who hasn't changed since childhood (except getting bigger), and everyone else is so angsty that we think "oh finally someone who is normal."

But how normal is it for a highschool aged boy to be traveling the world and living in a "fort" down by the river?

Do 16 year-olds really just work odd jobs and hop on planes to visit the world, all while living as a hobo? Is that really a common thing in Japan? 'Cause it's not that common over here in America.

How messed up must Poppo's family life be? Where is his family anyway? Something is not right here. Not right at all.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-05-14, 09:49   Link #98
Kirarakim

Quote:
Do 16 year-olds really just work odd jobs and hop on planes to visit the world, all while living as a hobo? Is that really a common thing in Japan? 'Cause it's not that common over here in America.
I expect it isn't common but isn't it true that High School isn't mandatory in Japan? So technically speaking Poppo could legally do this if he had the money.

I guess it is the same with how Jintan can so easily avoid school.

That being said despite appearances of Poppo being happily go lucky I expect that isn't exactly so and he is suffering too. Just like Yukiatsu was putting on a facade I think Poppo might be too just more in the "everything is great" way when it really isn't.

Anyways I just watched the first 5 episodes yesterday and fell in love with this series. Although I have to admit while I am interested in Menma's wish it is the other 5 characters and their interaction that makes the series for me.
Old 2011-05-14, 09:59   Link #99
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Again, how do you explain the fact that only Jinta can directly see and hear Menma? With all the nuances and emotions that come with visible facial expressions and speech, writing does not solve the problem that Menma cannot communicate directly to the other Super Peace Busters the same way she can talk to Jinta. Also, what if more drama arises and one of them is upset enough to leave? Do you expect them to wait for Menma with her grade school knowledge to finish writing soon enough to calm them down?

Poppo already assumes that ghost Menma exists. However, even he's showing now that he has a problem being unable to see or hear her. Do you think seeing an invisible force cook muffins or write will solve that problem?
All I was saying that based on what we've seen so far, it is possible to prove to the others that she is really there. It wouldn't solve everything, but it would make things a bit easier for them. Writing was just a random idea, a better way to communicate would be for Jinta to act as an interpreter; which is in fact exactly what he did in this episode, and in my opinion, it produced very positive results. Most of the gang seem to feel guilty over Menma's death, the simple fact of having her tell them she loves and they don't have anything to feel bad about would help them to some extent.

As you said though, the fact only Jinta can see her is an issue, but the cat is already out of the bag anyway. There's nothing they can do about that. Even Menma doesn't know why Jinta can only see her, and feels incredibly sad she can't interact with the others. Once again, if Jinta told her how she feels, I think it improve the situation a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
If it were that easy, wouldn't you think this phenomenon would have been discovered elsewhere ages ago? Or do you honestly believe Menma is the first of its kind? Like I said before, trying to use science to prove her existence is folly. For all we know, all the physical items she's been interacting with are only visible through the eyes of Jinta and us viewers. The door? Could have been the wind. Sense of weight? Maybe that's the extent of her ability to interact with the living world. It's not like she's dropping her actual physical weight on the person's shoulders. She. Is. Not. Real. Common sense doesn't apply.
Oh come on... what we've been shown so far leaves not doubt she can physically interact with the physcical world. Why do you wish to deny that so much? Honestly, I don't think they ever tried to mislead us about Menma's state of being. They made it clear in the very first episode, by having her knock the glass down.

Alright, how would you explain the muffins? Did somebody break into Jinta's house to make them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
What's more relevant, and frankly a brilliant move on their part, is that because we see Menma interact with various persons and items, she becomes more than a mere supernatural phenomenon. She becomes a real human character to us viewers, instead of a floating, gaseous, transparent, Casper-like substance that shouldn't have to abide by the laws of the physical world. It requires a level of suspension of disbelief, but to be honest, in a character-driven show, this style of execution works better than if she were able to move through walls, give off a glow and whatnot.

It's a matter of preference.
That I fully agree with. However, it still annoys me a little that each time Poppo asks her to do something, something conveniently happens to prevent her from attempting to do it...

Anyway, now that Jinta is starting to acknowledge the possiblity Menma is a ghost rather than a hallucination of his, he may start to do what I'd do (which is to make sure I'm not crazy).
Old 2011-05-14, 10:02   Link #100
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I'd like to say that after thinking about it...

Poppo must have some major issues too.

I mean he's introduced as this happy go lucky carefree guy who hasn't changed since childhood (except getting bigger), and everyone else is so angsty that we think "oh finally someone who is normal."

But how normal is it for a highschool aged boy to be traveling the world and living in a "fort" down by the river?
I think that what Poppo is doing is a bit unusual, yeah. I don't doubt that Menma's death had a strong emotional impact on him as well.

However, I think he was designed to be relatively happy go lucky and carefree in order to balance out with the rest of the cast, and to help ensure that the whole anime doesn't feel as somber as a funeral parlor.

In that way, I think he has been tremendously useful in this anime.