AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 20
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 46 37.40%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 39 31.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 25 20.33%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 5.69%
6 out of 10 : Average... 1 0.81%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.81%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.81%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 1 0.81%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.81%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 1 0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-11-17, 22:51   Link #81
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Well in the novels they mention that the amount he gave the leaders was about 100,000 Yuld mythril coin. Doesn't really sound like a lot doesn't it. So yeah it leads to the conclusion that SAO currency is greatly inflated since the cost of Asunas house in SAO was about 10,000,000 Coll.

As for the ep I'm a bit underwhelmed from the fight since the novels gave it more pizzaz but still it's one of the best fight animations this adaptation has had up until now so it's ok. My only peeve was that he didn't use a non assisted version of "Vertical Square" (the skill he used to finish the Lizard Warrior in the dungeon where "The Gleam Eyes" was) to finish Eugene. Facepalm about the fanservice though. I mean cmon it wasn't even described in the books. Why do they always have to use Leefa for these kinds of scenes? Well granted she is pretty well endowed but still...
Old 2012-11-17, 22:55   Link #82
sayde

I love the track used during the opening of this episode and throughout some of the previous episodes. Then I figured out why I liked it so much. It's as if Yuki Kajiura remixed one of my favorite xenosaga battle themes. I mean the comparison between the two is pretty obvious. But you know what? If you have to use one of your old tracks as the framework for something (relatively) new, its not a bad source to draw inspiration from.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 22:56   Link #83
Clarste
Human

Well, the fact that they have "mithril" coins implies that they might have other kinds of coins too. Supported by the fact that she was only surprised after looking inside the bag.

So this may be a case where pennies were converted into 100 dollar bills.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 23:01   Link #84
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Well, the fact that they have "mithril" coins implies that they might have other kinds of coins too. Supported by the fact that she was only surprised after looking inside the bag.

Hmmm. There is that huh? Haha maybe the ordinary currency they had in SAO was converted to the special currency in ALO w/ a conversion rate of about 1 Mythril Coin = 1000 Coll
Old 2012-11-17, 23:13   Link #85
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
Hmmm. There is that huh? Haha maybe the ordinary currency they had in SAO was converted to the special currency in ALO w/ a conversion rate of about 1 Mythril Coin = 1000 Coll
If there is Mythril, that means there's Gold, Silver, Bronze/Copper that comes before it... Standard RPG rare metal stuff.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 23:22   Link #86
Archmagination2002

Quote:
Well in the novels they mention that the amount he gave the leaders was about 100,000 Yuld mythril coin. Doesn't really sound like a lot doesn't it. So yeah it leads to the conclusion that SAO currency is greatly inflated since the cost of Asunas house in SAO was about 10,000,000 Coll.

As for the ep I'm a bit underwhelmed from the fight since the novels gave it more pizzaz but still it's one of the best fight animations this adaptation has had up until now so it's ok. My only peeve was that he didn't use a non assisted version of "Vertical Square" (the skill he used to finish the Lizard Warrior in the dungeon where "The Gleam Eyes" was) to finish Eugene. Facepalm about the fanservice though. I mean cmon it wasn't even described in the books. Why do they always have to use Leefa for these kinds of scenes? Well granted she is pretty well endowed but still...
FYI on the currency.

Spoiler for Currency:
Archmagination2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 23:37   Link #87
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post

Unlikely, as the numeric value wouldn't change, as if conversion was required it would have just been corrupted like the items instead; and they had 100,000 Yuld mithril pieces.

Checking back, the lizardman Kirito killed on floor 74 dropped 1000 coll. So the war chest Kirito handed over was equal to killing 100 lizardmen.

Between the floor 75 boss, and the monsters in the floor 1 special dungeon, I can easily see two players racking up that much money.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 23:51   Link #88
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Unlikely, as the numeric value wouldn't change, as if conversion was required it would have just been corrupted like the items instead; and they had 100,000 Yuld mithril pieces.

Checking back, the lizardman Kirito killed on floor 74 dropped 1000 coll. So the war chest Kirito handed over was equal to killing 100 lizardmen.

Between the floor 75 boss, and the monsters in the floor 1 special dungeon, I can easily see two players racking up that much money.
The point would be that conversion wasn't required. The game just had a "money" number that in SAO was labeled coll and in ALO is labeled yuld. However, the makers of ALO decided that for flavor reasons that should add more separate money stats that represented lower amounts of currency.

I do think that Alicia's reaction strongly implies the existence of gold coins, silver coins, etc.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 00:09   Link #89
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...

...enjoyed the episode...nothing really wrong with dual-wielding and the money...
...nice dual but still want some mmo group fights...

...only thing that bothered me was that they really made it seem like Kirito was helping out of kindness...

...his goal is to find Asuna...then save her before the end of the week...
...but then he goes on these "side quests"...

...you would think it is reasonable as he will be getting allies...
...but then he goes and say that he only needs help to get to the base and that he would go at it alone...

...which then makes you think that he is trying to get more sympathy from these potential allies...
...but then he vaguely explains his intentions leaving out vital information...like for example...he is searching for an actual real person aka his wifey...

...the assumption then is because he does not want to involve others in his "wild goose chase"...
...but then you remember that this "wild goose chase" only has like 5 days left...

...nothing serious...but yeah...

Spoiler for ...a stranger's opinion...:
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 00:10   Link #90
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Excellent fight between Kirito and Eugene. Poor Kirito, you charms on women still gets you into trouble. lol

10 out of 10.
Old 2012-11-18, 00:12   Link #91
HandofFate

anyone have the voice actress for the cait sith leader? She just had a few lines, but was wondering it was a noteworthy 'cameo' va or not.
Old 2012-11-18, 00:18   Link #92
Kamui04

Quote:
Originally Posted by grylsyjaeger View Post
I know it's an insane amount they were shocked by but Eugene was still referred to as the strongest player in ALO. So you'd imagine his personal wealth to at least leave a sizable drop upon his demise.
Let's put some math. Even if it doesn't apply to normal players, in the previous EP it was said that defeating a race leader would give you 30% of his money. Here Eugene wasn't the Salamander leader, but his right hand. If it were true that Kirito got those 100,000 mythril coins, enough to completely outfit both Sylphs and Caitsiths to take on the World Tree, it would mean Eugene alone had enough money to outfit 6 races and get some change, and don't mention his brother the Salamander leader. If they had so much money why haven't they equipped their whole race with Ancient Weapons?

Let just leave it as most of that money coming from SAO data.

Quote:
Seems like people are forgetting something, there's a difference between saying Yurudo and Mythril Yurudo coins. Because people might say "Kirito got 50k yurudo from a single fight in the previous episode, giving the leaders 100,000, isn't that a bit low?". But remember that in fantasy settings RPGs, you have currencies, metals and different denominations, just like in real life you have bills in different sizes . Which means that 1 Yurudo might be the equivalent to lowest denomination or 1 bronze coin. And silver, gold, mythril, platinum, unobtanium and whatever has different denominations usually multiples of 10, 100, 10000 etc. Here he's giving 100,000 Mythril coins, just like there's a difference between saying I give you 100,000 dollars and I give you 100,000 Benjamin Franklin bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
I love the track used during the opening of this episode and throughout some of the previous episodes. Then I figured out why I liked it so much. It's as if Yuki Kajiura remixed one of my favorite xenosaga battle themes. I mean the comparison between the two is pretty obvious. But you know what? If you have to use one of your old tracks as the framework for something (relatively) new, its not a bad source to draw inspiration from.
Yup, when I heard the longer battle version in the Ep. 13 boss fight, right away I said it was a basically copy/paste of one of her Xenosaga's themes and made that comment on another blog. And someone copy/pasted my comment here as his lol. And now that I shifted through the soundtracks now I remember where the chorus in SAO's battle theme came from, it's Promised Pain from Xenosaga III, like 3-4 verses and the music are almost the same.

Last edited by Kamui04; 2012-11-18 at 01:14. Reason: Remembering some music reference
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 00:29   Link #93
Bahamut

...i could understand Kirito's harem during the SAO arc...and thats cool...
...but if i remember correctly...you can choose your gender in ALO...which now...aint so cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
anyone have the voice actress for the cait sith leader? She just had a few lines, but was wondering it was a noteworthy 'cameo' va or not.
...apparently listed as Saitou Chiwa...Akemi Homura and Senjougahara Hitagi? ...sounds like her...

Last edited by Bahamut; 2012-11-18 at 00:41. Reason: ...shrug...
Old 2012-11-18, 00:39   Link #94
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac

Quote:
Saito Chiwa is the VA of the cait sith leader (Rue, Alicia). She's also the seiyuu of Akemi Homura from Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and Hitagi Senjougahara from Bakemonogatari. Basically, she is a noteworthy cameo as she has a long history of voice acting

http://myanimelist.net/people/61/Chiwa_Saito

---------------------------------
Anyway, well 5 more episodes to go, and things are great as always. Love the fight with Eugene. There is inconsistency in Kirito suddenly using dual wield, and it wasn't explained in the anime, but that's the problem with producing animes based on light novels (it's very difficult to fit everything from a novel into an anime. Budget is an issue too). Basically, I would read the novel to have a better understanding of why that is so.

And Asuna has made her escape, so all ideas of Kirito saving her from the cage are out. They'll probably meet somewhere in the World's Tree, though.

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~
eplipswich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 00:40   Link #95
Green²
It's bacon!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I hope we get to see more of the catgirl in the later episodes. Give Yui a pet kitty at least.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 00:40   Link #96
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
...but if i remember correctly...you can choose your gender in ALO...which now...aint so cool...
That being said, will Kirito always choose male for whichever future games he jumps into?

No point in hoping for a gender-bender kirito?
Old 2012-11-18, 00:43   Link #97
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
That being said, will Kirito always choose male for whichever future games he jumps into?

A trap probably... muhahahaha....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 00:45   Link #98
Bahamut

Quote:

...second season or perhaps sword art offline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I hope we get to see more of the catgirl in the later episodes. Give Yui a pet kitty at least.
...going by the second picture...looks like kitty found more than she bargained for...
Old 2012-11-18, 00:59   Link #99
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Very disturbing thoughts here, considering the ratio between female and male gamer and how often males play as female.
Old 2012-11-18, 02:31   Link #100
zero7090

[mod edit: remove allusion to future content]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post

Also I thought when he registered to ALO the user name he pick was just a different spelling of Kirito using different characters?
yes, in SAO his name is in katakana "キリト" while it is in romanji "Kirito" in ALO

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-11-18 at 06:05.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote