AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 11 15.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 31.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 31.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.39%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.39%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-22, 21:44   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting
  • Which kind of footage (Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Old 2012-12-22, 22:03   Link #2
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

9/10

* nice and unique humor about delusional people. I like their "battle scene"
* Awesome animation and music in general
* Good drama that feel natural
* the en dis bit rush and can be better if it have one more episode

Overall is nice to see Kyoani animate this instead doing generic-cute-girl-doing-cute-thing or overly-dramatic-visual-novel-adaptation .

Old 2012-12-22, 22:11   Link #3
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Animation Quality: 9

They really did a great job doing the character design and backgrounds... Nice lighting effects... and special effects..

Voice Actors: 8

I'm not familiar with voice actors but They did their role quite well... No complaints.

Script: 1-10 8

In general.. I didn't see any rush.. of course except for episode 12.. I never read the novel though... It's just my opinion.

Soundtrack: 8

Only the opening so worth listening... the ED is uhmm... not my type...

Editing: 7

Can't say much.. I think they did it well as well.

Enjoyment: 10

The early half of the series is hilarious, a killer I say... It's not forced though there are some irritating characters. Tes...

Emotional Involvement: 10

yeah, the later part of the series.. was drama... yeah, very emotional.. uhmm... talk about family problems.. its really heavy...

Overall: 9 > It's a must watch anime of 2012
Old 2012-12-22, 22:16   Link #4
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This was a very good series and just amount of weirdness

9/10 There needs to be a season 2 and cant wait for the US release
Old 2012-12-22, 22:21   Link #5
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

9/10

Simply because this anime made me into a total "fangirl"
Could be 10/10 if the pacing in ep. 10 onward is better.
Old 2012-12-22, 23:08   Link #6
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

The series definitely a high end note of the year for me, so i give it a 10.

I think the ED was quite a perfect so a S2 may push it border. However will definitely want some OVA to settle Dekomori vs Mori Summer.
Old 2012-12-22, 23:53   Link #7
Shaggeh

I give it a 10.

I was looking forward to watching this anime every week more so then most others. It is one of my picks of best of the fall/winter season.
Old 2012-12-23, 00:20   Link #8
justsomeguy

This show was both fun and embarrassing to watch. Considering that KyoAni rewrote the whole thing and that the source was supposedly not that good, they did very well. Art and animation were great as usual, I loved the OP, and the moral about keeping up your imagination and being yourself in spite of reality was upbeat (vs the possible opposite message that I feared would end the show). I think I only had two complaints: 1) long timeskips between episodes, and 2) the drama started stifling the show a bit near the end. And the last episode was a a bit cliched and rushed (seriously, other studios would split that content into two episodes).

9/10. Now that I think about it, having Maaya Uchida in a starring role might be a marker for a show I will like, considering that I also liked Sankarea and Akibaranger.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2012-12-23, 00:23   Link #9
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Beautifully animated battle scene....
and also the scene when they ride bicycle together...
confession scene...
every night scene is very good

Voice Actors: 9

the seiyuus are doing great job in picturing chuuni's syndrome (for Rikka and Deko-chan), laziness (Kumin), and wise comments (Shinka and Yuuta)

Script: 10

as expected from KyoAni... the script is the strong point of this anime
from a childish setting (chuunibyo) and moving to more serious point about how to accept death and reality
the conclusion speech still ringing in my head... and every wise comments in last episodes are a good way to close this anime

Soundtrack: 9

not really catchy but enjoyable... for the OST, must admit Inside Identity still repeated in my music player

another strong point.... involving our emotion very well...
mixing drama and comedy in the best way

Enjoyment: 9

not quite my favorite genre... but Chuunibyou will be remembered as a good anime and one of the best in 2012

Overall = 9/10
Old 2012-12-23, 00:42   Link #10
Forsaken_Infinity

It was a pretty good show but it didn't do itself justice with it's mature bits imo.

It never really touched on the conflicts beyond the superficial. And the conclusion was very much overdone.

8/10. It was a fun ride while it lasted. Didn't really leave me asking for more, however.
Old 2012-12-23, 06:58   Link #11
Warm Mist

I'm just going to repost what I said in the general thread:

Spoiler for impressions:

If I had to rate it, I'd say Chuunibyou gets a 7/10. Good series, mainly for its technical merits and the good comedy of the first half. Could have gone up to very good or excellent if it maintained the level of the first episodes, and if the drama was handled with more tact.
Old 2012-12-23, 11:42   Link #12
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Though the first opening was a hell to watch...

Voice Actors: 10
Very good acting, especially Rikka, Dekomori and Yuuta's seiyuu.

Script: 9
Very good too, nothing to add.

Soundtrack: 1-10
The ending theme will be remembered, if not for the animation, then for the good lyrics

Enjoyment: 10
I've liked it to the last episode.

It involves around people like us, so we could really fit into the characters.

Overall: 9.5/10.
Old 2012-12-23, 14:18   Link #13
Cloudenvy

I'm going to give it a 5/10. Visually it was pretty great despite some weak character designs, but everything ranging from the script, characters and to the conclusion swung hard between boring, cringe worthy and unintentionally hilarious and none of it was helped by the poor pacing.

Oh, and as Warm Mist said a couple of posts above, this pretty much confirms that Ishihara is my least favorite KyoAni director.
Old 2013-01-01, 16:12   Link #14
Akka

I have a rather conflicted point of view on this serie. Basically, I love the first ten episodes, I hate the last two.

The first part has been incredibly refreshing and simply hilarious. It's been the proof for me that slapstick comedy can be incredibly funny when it's well done. More importantly, it's FINALLY be an anime that did away with the annoying anime clichés that tend to ruin most production : no passive protagonist, no lame men being used for punching bags by sadistic girls, no painfully dragged-on false romance leads that are obviously red herring, etc.
The incredible freshness of this show is that is do away with these tired repetitive and infuriating conventions, throw them out and just let the fun come and go on a rampage.

I had an immensely pleasant time seeing FINALLY a male lead that actually doesn't let people step on his toes, don't let himself be abused, actually ACT AND REACT rather than be a victime, and I had an equally delicious catharsis seeing him smacking the idiots when they are idiots, which is something I have just dreamed to do in so many anime serie for years.
I samely felt a huge relief seeing finally teenagers acting more naturally about romance - actually THINKING about it when it's right in their face, actually taking the hints, actually trying to act on it, and the like.

I can't praise this show enough for shaking off so many predictable annoying clichés.

Among all this fun, was also a rather touching story, the one of a girl suffering and retreating into her imaginary world to heal herself. A bit of drama, lots of fun, it was really great.

But then, the drama took the show over, and basically it all went crashing down.
It's not even that I disagree with all the message the anime tried to convey - I'm myself a HUGE escapist, I can totally relate -, but the way it was handled and the package that was offered were simply not convincing.
There was a huge disconnect between what we can logically conclude from the show, and what the show actually tried to conclude. The moral attempts to be something like "we need to be true to ourselves, and our dreams and imagination helps us to do that" (which is something I totally agree with), but the problem is that what was actually protrayed in the show amounted more to a completely broken celebration of mental illness and irresponsibility.
As such, both the drama and the ending felt directly pulled out of the ass of the writer.

Too bad about the finish, because most of the show was VERY enjoyable. But it left me with a bad taste, and as such it's being dragged down to a 7.
Old 2013-01-01, 19:13   Link #15
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Animation Quality: 8.5
Not quite as good as Hyouka or K-On! movie, but still a strong performance on kyoto animation.
Voice Actors: 8
Most of them were good, besides Fukuyama sounding a bit too much like Tori from horizon in the earlier episodes , though special mention to Uesaka Sumire excellent job as Dekomori I really enjoyed it .
Script: 6.5
Drama and ending felt lackluster to me, and felt just bit emo at times, I mean it could have been much worse, while earlier part of the series didn't suffer from it.
Soundtrack: 6
Least memorable soundtrack to date from them as I usually like anime sound tracks especially from kyoani, but not even a single one stuck with me for this series. Only saving gracing being the OP and ED, and it music managing to be unfitting either.
Enjoyment: 6.5
While I enjoyed the comedy early on a good bit when the drama hit my feelings about it were mixed, and honestly I was bit disappointed how little focus everyone-not-named-rikka got .

Overall: 7/10, pretty decent and enjoyable, though probably over hyped, imo.
MAL
Old 2013-01-02, 00:43   Link #16
Witch of Uncertainty

Hilarius and Beautiful art.
Hated the 3 last episodes, though.
Gets an 8.
Old 2013-01-04, 02:26   Link #17
Kyuu
=^^=

Only at eps 2... but... being a major Saki fan... I am amused that the main character is "Kyoutarou".
Old 2013-01-10, 04:16   Link #18
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

I feels that that romance and comedy parts need no explanation. In short, I found them to be great. The jokes are funny. The romance is very cute and well-developed. Instead, I’ll go in a little more detail about what I don’t like.

My main issue for Chuunibyou anime is certainly the clash of the family drama and the love comedy aspect of the show. I wasn’t prepared for the drama to be this serious. I was prepared for an episode-5 level of drama (if one can even call it that), not the episode 7/11 ones. I’ve said early in the airing of the show how I like that chuunibyou positioned itself such that I just LMAO at all srsbzns scene which I usually scratched my head at in other shows. Clearly, that backfired. I’m not sure if it’s partially my fault for making a strong assumption from what I heard about the original light novel and apply it to the anime. Still, I’d argue that the early episodes did too little to set the atmosphere and prepared the audience for the incoming Rikka’s family drama. There were foreshadows that Rikka’s family was not a happy one, but I didn’t get a feeling that the show would dive into it. I’d like to bring up Ishihara-san comment about how they avoided showing the “dark” aspect of being a chuunibyou patient again. Maybe he should’ve showed them after all. For sure, it would’ve brought the anime even further from the biggest charm of the light novel. And I’m not sure I’d prefer the show going that route. However, the viewers will be more prepared for dramas. Well, at least I would’ve been more prepared.

To be clear, I didn’t find the drama “forced.” And if we’re talking about the drama part by itself, I actually find it to be on the upper echelon of anime dramas I’ve seen, even more so if limited to the shows in the same cour. It’s visually well executed. It also progressed and concluded in such a way that I could agree with. Yes, I probably would have like the show much more if the drama were only at episode-5 level, but I didn't think the drama itself was bad. Indeed, precisely because I find it to be a good drama that I still consider Chuunibyou a show I like.

Overall, I would give a 7.5/10. But I’ll vote 8 for the benefit of doubt (about my pre-assumption about the show.)
Old 2013-01-29, 23:07   Link #19
The Shinigami
Last Order

10/10

The first anime that made me physically cry.

In fact, the only anime that made me laugh, aww, cry, and rage in a single episode.

Old 2013-01-30, 16:38   Link #20
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shinigami View Post
10/10

The first anime that made me physically cry.

In fact, the only anime that made me laugh, aww, cry, and rage in a single episode.
I agree. I was fortunate to find this one.