Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-01-27, 11:17   Link #1
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Rambo 4 (2008)

Rambo 4

I went into the cinema with low expectations and emerged surprised. The movie actually turned out quite good. Of course, it's not going to win any awards for originality or technical brilliance, but plot-wise, Rambo 4 is easily miles ahead the previous three Rambo films.

It's a sign of the times I suppose. I did roll my eyes at the opening minutes of the movie, which was a montage of newsreels that demonises the Burmese military junta. The Burmese generals are no angels of course, but I don't need to watch propaganda to know that. However, what's remarkable is the tone set by the rest of the film. It's a hard-headed acknowledgement of a brutal fact -- don't preach about saving the world when you don't have the power to change it.

I also like the irony portrayed in the movie. A group of Christian doctors sneak into Burma to save lives, but end up causing more deaths and violent bloodshed instead.

It's very noble, what such similar people do in real life, like that group of South Korean Christians who got into trouble in Afghanistan last year, for example. But it's not so noble when their goodwill ends up causing more misery for everyone else. If they don't get into trouble, fine. But if they do, I have very little sympathy for them, and I don't like it when entire governments have to mobilise resources to bail them out of their naive mistakes.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 13:36   Link #2
Daughter!

The movie is pure entertainment, guys. Don't take it seriously.

It was awesome and hillarious. Everyone in the audience was yelling things and clapping. It was great.

If you take this too seriously, as in:

1. lol da plotline was ridikuluss lol
2. da cinematography sukked

Turn off your brain, and watch it. Have a good time.
Daughter! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 14:22   Link #3
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop-Punk Sucks View Post
The movie is pure entertainment, guys. Don't take it seriously.

It was awesome and hillarious. Everyone in the audience was yelling things and clapping. It was great.

If you take this too seriously, as in:

1. lol da plotline was ridikuluss lol
2. da cinematography sukked

Turn off your brain, and watch it. Have a good time.
So it's pretty much a war flick correct? If so i'm in ^_^

I wanna see him shoot exploding arrows again ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 16:21   Link #4
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I Like Stllone Acting ....So I'll Watch it For Sure..
Old 2008-01-27, 18:59   Link #5
Aoi v1
a.k.a. aoikazemaru

Send a message via MSN to Aoi v1
o.o! my dad loooves rambo movies, he'll be pretty happy to know about this 4th part (at least i haven't seen a single promo) :P
Aoi v1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 01:38   Link #6
Dxon
Inactive Member

I remember me watching Rambo 1..
I was liek:
OMG teh graphsix sux0rz! The RPG bullets came like out of his arse or where else does he gets them from and the they fly like all zigzaggy... Like thier on a r0pe.. ^^
When there ies a expl0si0n betw33n s0m3 b4d guys then they jump away and then comes the b00m!. They jump away as if they are b10\/\/|\| 4\/\/4y by teh b00m!.

jaaj! ^^
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 02:42   Link #7
Wirbelwind8
d-_-b

My friend is forcing me to watch it because it looks so ridiculous it'll make us laugh. It doesn't sound THAT bad now though..
Wirbelwind8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 03:57   Link #8
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxon
OMG teh graphsix sux0rz! The RPG bullets came like out of his arse or where else does he gets them from and the they fly like all zigzaggy... Like thier on a r0pe..
When there ies a expl0si0n betw33n s0m3 b4d guys then they jump away and then comes the b00m!. They jump away as if they are b10\/\/|\| 4\/\/4y by teh b00m!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirbelwind8
My friend is forcing me to watch it because it looks so ridiculous it'll make us laugh.
Lol. Well, I did say that it's not going to win awards for originality or brilliant writing. As Pop-Punk Sucks wrote, turn off your brains and yeah, the movie is actually satisfyingly fun.

It's gory, but not gratuitously gory like 300 was. I don't know how to describe it. In 300, the gore was glorified. I hated 300 - men in leather tongs showing off how macho they are. But in Rambo 4 you get the feeling that it's "necessary", that the gore is "realistic". That's the kind of gore I much prefer. Hardcore mercenaries who don't enjoy the gore, but dealing out death as professionally as they can.

And purely from a film student point-of-view, Rambo 4 is an interesting study of how to do an action-movie right. Make the bad guys really evil, so that the audience would hate them enough to cheer when they get blown up.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 04:30   Link #9
Silver Conspirator
Oh, I'm not famous?

Can you understand Stallone for once?
Silver Conspirator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 04:37   Link #10
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Hate to say it, but my expectations for this movie, like all similar sequels, are exceedingly low. Hopefully I can be proven wrong?
Old 2008-01-28, 07:55   Link #11
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
My dad will like this either... I'm sure of that bec. he's a solid fan of all Rambo series
Old 2008-01-28, 15:01   Link #12
EphemeralDreams
I will devour your soul

Send a message via AIM to EphemeralDreams
The most realistic bloodiest movie I have seen yet, go and watch it without expecting much of a story and you should be satisfied.
EphemeralDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 15:36   Link #13
arcadeplayer987

I didn't saw it yet but I might go to see it at cinema because I like Stallone acting
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 15:46   Link #14
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

One of those films where the critics cannot agree with the casual watchers. But, the disagreement being on the level of putting the movie at the 195th position at Imdb.com and making it a no-good from the critics is more than I expected, especially for a non-controversial movie.

(As a note, I can understand a movie like this one getting 10 rating from the action lovers, but, getting a 1 rating that many is really ridiculous. If you know what you are getting into by going to such a film, which should be obvious if you are not living the last 30 years within a UFO, why in the world you go and watch it, especially on the weekend it opens!!!)
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 20:35   Link #15
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

this movie is not for the squeemish
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 21:17   Link #16
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Cant wait to watch this flick went to Meet the Spartans this weekend so probably catch it this week if I get time or this weekend . Rambo 3 was a bummer for me so I hope Sly has something better than Rambo 3 for us i.e. if he has learnt from his mistakes .

The last great Sly Flick atleast to me was Cliffhanger , 14 years the wait will Sly deliver
Old 2008-01-30, 11:38   Link #17
Sukunai ni yori

One I'm an ex soldier.

Two I remember the Vietnam era and how the vets were treated, I was there. So I was able to relate to the original film First Blood.

Three I remember #2 and #3 as scars I want to forget.

So with Four being Rambo 4 yes I was skeptical. My friend and myself, we went to the theatre assuming we were wasting money but we wanted some laughs anyway. The wife mentioned a quip about Rambo needing a walker.

Suffice it to say the film I saw was not the film I expected.

Now I KNOW that the industry makes equally gory films for the zombie fans and the snuff film fans. But Freddie and Jason are fakes, and it's no secret the films are phoney. It's just violence for the sake of it.

The first "battle" but you can hardly call wiping out a village a battle, nearly had me in tears. Maybe I'm just not immune to seeing that level of callous elimination of human life as today's youths.
I am not looking to get it on dvd as once was enough.

But, I do know what military hardware does to the body, and the film was fairly accurate. I've fired these weapons in some cases. Hollywood usually completely screws up in this area.

There wasn't much story in the film, hard to make a drama out of slaughter.
If you laughed during the film you worry me. There wasn't anything to laugh at.
I don't know about awards. But he deserves a thanks for finally showing what some parts of the world look like. I didn't see it as preachy or propagandizing.

Stallone did a good job of depicting a burned out Rambo.
Sukunai ni yori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 14:44   Link #18
arcadeplayer987

With 83 kills John Rambo is a badass in last Rambo
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 05:51   Link #19
chibi_otoko
Just Transferred

no sech scene, huh?

did rambo goes impotent?

lolz
chibi_otoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 12:20   Link #20
Archontic
Power of the Damager

Send a message via AIM to Archontic Send a message via MSN to Archontic
It doesn't have the Rambo 'feel' if it was shot after the 80's. The cheesy lines and goofy special effects were part of its charm, as was its ridiculousness -- the 80's just made it all work.
Archontic is offline   Reply With Quote