AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-04-01, 23:13   Link #1
guess

an MP3 player with built-in speaker and video playback?

I am looking for an MP3 player with built-in speaker (hard to find!) and can play video ( so I can watch anime with it). Do you guys have recommendations?
Old 2009-04-02, 01:21   Link #2
sa547
*Author

Caveat emptor: Just don't get some of those dirt-cheap knockoff Chinese MP3 players (with fake Sony logo, TFT displays and speakers), which have no existing tech support and a questionable battery meter. Most of them rarely last more than a year.
Old 2009-04-02, 01:45   Link #3
problemedchild
ô_ô

The only thing that comes into mind right now is the Ipod Touch Gen 2, although I'm sure other people will have more suggestions.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 03:13   Link #4
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
The creative zen X-Fi (both standard and the models with Wi-Fi capability) have all that you need (I won't suggest the zen mosaic since the screen on it is so tiny).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 07:35   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Technically a PSP will also work... it plays MP3s and videos and has an external speaker (though not a really great one - in the original model at least).

It's just a little bulky, but the large screen is a plus. Plus you can swap out or upgrade memory cards and batteries if you wanted to.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 07:50   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

PSP would work, but you need to buy usb cable and memory cards which would end up costing more. Also, it's bulkier than other players.

iPod touch 2nd Generation would be a logical choice since it now contains a bultin speaker. Ether way, you still need to convert your videos so they can play on your device.

Plus side for the touch is that you can play YouTube videos and surf the web over wifi. (psp does this too, but no YouTube playback because the lack of flash.)
Old 2009-04-02, 12:04   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Take a look at products from COWON. They're a bit pricey but their features include support for formats like MKV, Ogg, and FLAC, great battery life and excellent screens.

Here's a list of their products available at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_rhf_s...keywords=cowon
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 23:37   Link #8
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

You can try:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/
Pretty spiffy site, if you ask me, unless of course, you're interested in an iPod. There are over 9000 sites for those, anyways.
If all else fails, stick with the PSP.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 01:30   Link #9
iLney

Cowon's firmware is like.... the worst. If you plan to buy a Cowon to play mkv, you should wait. Right now, the O2 is not a good deal at all.
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 17:38   Link #10
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Your logic is pretty expensive.

I'd recommend a used psp and a 8gb memory stick which will cost you half as much as a 8gb ipod touch.

But if you worry more about aesthetics than functionality than by all means go for the ipod touch.
A 8GB iPod Touch costs around the same with PSP with a 8GB memory card and a mini USB transfer cable. (8GB model iPod touch starts at $229.99, but can be bought cheaper online)

The problem with the PSP is that it's meant for gaming, not a multimedia device, so it would be a bit harder to control opposed to a regular MP3 Player. Also, PSP-3000 may have longer battery life, but it's around 8-10 hours which will pale against comparison with other MP3 players which have better battery life. If you are not planning to game on the PSP and plan to use it as a MP3/video player, I advise skipping it.

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-04-04 at 17:52.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 04:24   Link #11
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I am actually in the same boat... I don't want to use Zune or Ipod due to how that drag and drop is just not doable at all with them so I can't use the device as storage medium. Well the only difference in requirement from guest in my case is that I don't fancy built-in speakers.

Samsung's P3 looks interesting, but I haven't seen any of them much yet, and that they are just released...
Cowon isn't readily available, and Creative you have to order online basically.
Sansa Fuze does seem interesting...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote